• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Declares Opioid Crisis a National Emergency

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I'm not convinced Trump knows what Opioids are. He was talking about teens using them a few days ago, which seems completely off base.

I saw a tweet with Trump saying for parents to just tell kids to not do drugs regards to the opioid crisis... How about telling that to all the fucking doctor's out there that are prescribing this shit to people who need pain relief. What a tool.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I'm not convinced Trump knows what Opioids are. He was talking about teens using them a few days ago, which seems completely off base.

Yep. I think he's thinking heroin, hence he talked about LSD and teens doing drugs. He doesn't get the Rx opioids to illegal Rx access to illegal drug pathway connection that is wracking middle aged communities, not teens in high school.

Yep. I think he's thinking heroin, hence he talked about LSD and teens doing drugs. He doesn't get the Rx to illegal drug pathway connection that is wracking middle aged communities, not teens in high school.

Easy access to prescribed opioids is ALSO wracking teens who have parents that get them prescribed.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Easy access to prescribed opioids is ALSO wracking teens who have parents that get them prescribed.

Sure. But indirectly. His comments on "tell teens drugs are bad" is not at all helpful if the teens are not taking the drugs to begin with.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Sums it up.

Understand that black and brown folk are watching this newfound compassion for drug addicts unfold with thinly veiled disgust and abject angst. Where was this tender love and compassion for the last 30 years when our people needed more help and less prison bars?

Nah, fuck this. Lock them up too. 10 year sentences for repeat meth/heroin offenders. Let's see how those broken homes and families do. Felony convictions so they become unemployable and no education in those prisons so they gain no meaningful skills during their time.

Let the cops start shooting first and asking questions later. These meth/heroin addict friends and family members of you guys were certainly no angels and deserve neither mercy nor quarter, just like all those black and brown bodies that found their way to similar addictions and struggles for similar reasons and disappeared into statistics, penitentiaries and cemeteries. Let them get to know the merciless criminal justice system as we do.
giphy.gif

Take em to church, Dreams

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
lol if you think Trump will handle this anywhere NEAR close to what should be done.
We are going to reign fire and fury on the drugs, the likes of which the world has never seen.

With that wall in place and world war on drugs(tm) you wont be able to hope voting for him again!

Slayven

Sums it up.

Understand that black and brown folk are watching this newfound compassion for drug addicts unfold with thinly veiled disgust and abject angst. Where was this tender love and compassion for the last 30 years when our people needed more help and less prison bars?

Nah, fuck this. Lock them up too. 10 year sentences for repeat meth/heroin offenders. Let's see how those broken homes and families do. Felony convictions so they become unemployable and no education in those prisons so they gain no meaningful skills during their time.

Let the cops start shooting first and asking questions later. These meth/heroin addict friends and family members of you guys were certainly no angels and deserve neither mercy nor quarter, just like all those black and brown bodies that found their way to similar addictions and struggles for similar reasons and disappeared into statistics, penitentiaries and cemeteries. Let them get to know the merciless criminal justice system as we do.

Let the church say amen

While there is definitely some newfound sympathy there are still PLENTY of conservatives that still take the "junkies deserve to die, they did it to themselves" stance no matter what color the addicts are.

Sums it up.

Fucking. Beautiful.

While there is definitely some newfound sympathy there are still PLENTY of conservatives that still take the "junkies deserve to die, they did it to themselves" stance no matter what color the addicts are.

Probably right after they just snorted some white powder in the office bathroom.

Mr. X

Sums it up.

Preach.

Rather interesting, considering the DNC spent several hours on this, presenting it as one of their big thing Hillary would deal with, while the RNC was just non-stop Benghazi Fear Fest.

IrishNinja

there's 'never been anything like this" because you were too coked up in the reagan era to see what that assholes policies did to inner cities, you know-nothing fuckwit

Apharmd

Sums it up.

More bark than bite.

Also

Sums it up.

Flux

Yeah just sounds like a good story, all the while working harder to supress and arrest more minorities. Oh and no one with an opioid addiction will get an kind of support whatsoever.

Sums it up.

Aaron

Surprise, surprise, when White People are affected by their drug abuse it's treated as a National Crisis.

When POC are affected by their drug misuse the response is to LOCK THEM UP!!!
Don't worry. Trump and the GOP aren't actually going to do anything to help poor whites. They care a lot more about the pharma companies causing this mess than the people suffering from it, no matter the color of their skin.

Sums it up.

I get where you're coming from. I wasn't alive for it, but I was reading a book about the AIDS crisis, and when the first few transfusion cases started happening, my reaction was to cheer. Because, fuck it, maybe if the hets started seeing half their friend group or family in the grave they'd start taking the disease more seriously. And even if they didn't change their behavior, it would be a just punishment for their indifference. There were certainly people at the time who shared my reaction.

But those were real people who were dying of transfusion-related AIDS, not just faceless representatives of a heterosexual society indifferent to the carnage in the gay community. It could have been you, or your parents; it certainly wouldn't have distinguished between white and black heterosexuals. And it's really hard to be that callous when you're thinking about individual people. I wouldn't wish AIDS even on Phyllis Schlafly or Pat Robertson. No one should have to go through that, and no addict or addiction afflicted community should be treated the way black addicts and communities have since the war on drugs began.

Like with the AIDS epidemic, we can only hope that now that the problem has reached a more socially powerful group, that they will begin treating the problem as well as they do for the majority.

Sums it up.

I was going to type the same sentiment but you've said better then I could.

III-V

best thing Trump has done.

Scratch that: the ONLY good thing he has done.

Let's see if he follows through, this is a major issue.

mlclmtckr

Banned
Uh am i a racist for not wishing for additional pain and misery in the world or what

Like I understand where the anger comes from but it is not actually helpful to anyone of any race to expand the drug war and the prison industrial complex

As an act of catharsis I am on board with the "now let's run white people's lives" thing but like obviously that's not actually a good idea right

Like I'm ethnically Muslim but I don't want to drone strike Norway or put a bunch of white ppl in Gitmo or something just to even the score

Sums it up.

Ah, it's horrifically refreshing to see that there are others out there as vindictive as this.
I completely agree with you by the way

Ferrio

Banned
Uh am i a racist for not wishing for additional pain and misery in the world or what

Like I understand where the anger comes from but it is not actually helpful to anyone of any race to expand the drug war and the prison industrial complex

As an act of catharsis I am on board with the "now let's run white people's lives" thing but like obviously that's not actually a good idea right

Like I'm ethnically Muslim but I don't want to drone strike Norway or put a bunch of white ppl in Gitmo or something just to even the score

It's a fine position to take, but unless this compassion the administration is showing is extended to *everyone* then it's a load of crap.

Oriel

Sums it up.

Savage!

mlclmtckr

Banned
It's a fine position to take, but unless this compassion the administration is showing is extended to *everyone* then it's a load of crap.

Well yeah obviously this is disingenuous racist crap coming from Trump

I was just a little alarmed at all the praise for such a bloodthirsty post

Seeing as the war on drugs and prison industrial complex are still going full steam ahead when it comes to black America. This is a blatant "we still actively ruin black people's lives, but we need to do everything we can to help white people's lives."

This is a gross double standard. Until this is expanded to actually include all groups it's bullshit, and I'm sure as hell not going to congratulate or cheer for it. I'll call it for exactly the bullshit is.

mlclmtckr

Banned
With the amount of shit people of color have been put through, I'd say it's not harsh enough.

I'm not sure in what moral universe this makes sense but I do not agree

Seeing as the war on drugs and prison industrial complex are still going full steam ahead when it comes to black America. This is a blatant "we still actively ruin black people's lives, but we need to do everything we can to help white people's lives."

This is a gross double standard. Until this is expanded to actually include all groups it's bullshit, and I'm sure as hell not going to congratulate or cheer for it. I'll call it for exactly the bullshit is.

Agreed 100%

Sums it up.

Damn. Very well said.

Lombax

Banned
Cool, so then legalize marijuana nationally you stupid orange fuck. Give people an option other than legal heroin for pain management.

Also he only "cares" because it's impacting white communities.

MadeULook

Huh. Trump actually does something I agree with.

I feel like part of me also died typing that. Although, he'll figure out a way to fuck it up I'm sure.

Tovarisc

Huh. Trump actually does something I agree with.

I feel like part of me also died typing that. Although, he'll figure out a way to fuck it up I'm sure.

Didn't this also come over from Obama's term into Trump's and have him decide on something that was set in motion back then? Trump was also lobbied hard to declare this.

Xe4

Banned
I get where you're coming from. I wasn't alive for it, but I was reading a book about the AIDS crisis, and when the first few transfusion cases started happening, my reaction was to cheer. Because, fuck it, maybe if the hets started seeing half their friend group or family in the grave they'd start taking the disease more seriously. And even if they didn't change their behavior, it would be a just punishment for their indifference. There were certainly people at the time who shared my reaction.

But those were real people who were dying of transfusion-related AIDS, not just faceless representatives of a heterosexual society indifferent to the carnage in the gay community. It could have been you, or your parents; it certainly wouldn't have distinguished between white and black heterosexuals. And it's really hard to be that callous when you're thinking about individual people. I wouldn't wish AIDS even on Phyllis Schlafly or Pat Robertson. No one should have to go through that, and no addict or addiction afflicted community should be treated the way black addicts and communities have since the war on drugs began.

Like with the AIDS epidemic, we can only hope that now that the problem has reached a more socially powerful group, that they will begin treating the problem as well as they do for the majority.
I agree completely. Wish pain on those in forcing a horribly racist system, not those facing real and horrible drug addictions.

It's easy to be vindictive after having you and your communities shit pushed in for the greater part of a century. Indeed that's a completely understandable reactio. But its also important to remember that this is hardly the first time opioids have been a major problem either.

I'm sure part of the reason the opioid epidemic is focused on is because it effects white people. However another large reason is that it has gotten so bad it's impossible to ignore any longer. Heroin and Opioid addictions have been ignored by in large by America for a long time now as well.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I agree completely. Wish pain on those in forcing a horribly racist system, not those facing real and horrible drug addictions.

Technically these are the same two social groups.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
You mean war of medicine / drug corporations and their lobbiying arms that push doctors to push opioids for everything in large quantities causing rampant addiction?

I guess.

Maybe they should raise the minimum sentences that was the game plan before with the previous crisis.

mlclmtckr

Banned

Uh the people in trailer parks in Appalachia are not the same as the well paid politicians, lobbyists and executives who are inflicting so much misery.

Also just to head off the next lazy argument, a lot of them don't vote either.

Xe4

Banned
There's overlap, but they're not the same groups. Not every person suffering from an opioid addiction is someone who perpetuates racial injustices by any large margin (at least, not more than the average person like you or I does). Simmilarly, not every racist POS uses heroin or morphine or whatever.

The overlap is people who abuse opioids tend to be white and rural and those who are racist tend to be white and rural. Aside from the natural overlap that is bound to happen, I don't think it's fair to therefore pin all opioid abusers as being racist or perpetuating a racist system.

Top Bottom