• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Declares Opioid Crisis a National Emergency

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I wonder how positive the GAF thread was when Nixon declared war on drugs.

Belfast

Opioids are a problem, but this, like every other "policy" decision he makes seems like it just came out of the blue. Probably saw some Fox News segment about it this morning or something.

Dude doesn't have a real plan for this just like he doesn't for anything else/

I wonder how positive the GAF thread was when Nixon declared war on drugs.
The Civil Rights Act passed 5 years ago so racism is not an excuse! I've worked hard all my life, where is my civil rights act?

When are we going to talk about the fact you fellers kill each other?

Martin Luther King, RIP I only realized last month I really loved him, would have never liked all this drug use!

Parch

How much opioid addiction starts as recreational use? Since painkiller abuse can lead to the harder stuff like heroin, it's not like opioid addiction is your typical recreational drug addiction in some cases.

It probably shouldn't make any difference. Addiction is addiction and should be treated, but the thought that there are supposedly "innocent" victims here might just be affecting the mindset about treatment.

Xe4

Banned
Well, it depends on what is done to conbat it, but it most certainly is a national epidemic.

We need to reduce persecriptions of opioids and punish dirty doctors. Also a national campaign to help addicts would go a long way.

Heroin felt a little too hardcore for the point I was trying to make
Oxycodone is a better example, but nothing to joke at. It ruins tons and tons of people's lives.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
He's just trying to keep his base alive until next election.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Trump probably thinks marijuana is an opioid.

GAF seems majority anti recreational drug from most threads I've seen.

I don't think this is true. I just think people are more nuanced opinions on the type of drugs out there. Weed, cocaine, LSD, mushrooms, MDMA, and related? Not that big of a deal I don't think with proper support.

PCP, meth, heroin, etc.? Not sure if that's a good idea to have out in the open. I think it speaks to how addictive is a substance and how "in-control" a person can reasonably be while on it.

daveo42

Banned
Hopefully this means steps toward action that isn't centered around the last stance the WH took on the matter, which was essentially just lock everyone up. Because that totally works.

Heroin felt a little too hardcore for the point I was trying to make

Might as well went to it in the first place. That's where most end up going after getting addicted to legally obtained opiates because doctors hand them out like candy as a cure all, then cut them off cold or the relief they get isn't strong enough anymore.

manfestival

I was thinking that it is great that trump addresses this concern and I open this thread to see all the vitriol being spewed. I don't care for the pres but geez GAF....

I was thinking that it is great that trump addresses this concern and I open this thread to see all the vitriol being spewed. I don't care for the pres but geez GAF....

It's fucking trump and republicans.

They aren't going to do shit unless 1. fucks over minorities and/or 2. they make money.

That simple.

Because his words mean shit. He was just championing a health bill that guts Medicare funding and funding for opioid related drug issues. His White House literally a few days ago talked about heavy-handed approaches like locking people up over this.

So yeah, he's rightfully getting shat on because he deserves it.

Nafai1123

Banned
How about cracking down on the over-prescription of opiods that cause the addiction, or would that rustle the jimmies of big pharma too much?

SheSaidNo

This is what he said a couple days ago about the opioid crisis

DGu6NNaXoAE0PxZ

Doesn't sound promising if his solution is just more law enforcement

MUnited83

For you.
What exactly about my post hints at some sorta manipulation(of course medias affect on me as I am taking your post as)? Your post is really out there but I am curious.

He's not "addressing" shit and you'd knew that if you'd bothered to do the minimum amount of research into what Trump wants.

Trey

Opioids are a problem, but this, like every other "policy" decision he makes seems like it just came out of the blue. Probably saw some Fox News segment about it this morning or something.

Dude doesn't have a real plan for this just like he doesn't for anything else/

His opioid commission (headed by Chris Christie) recommended he declare a state of emergency in a release back on July 31st. Trump's own health secretary said such a thing wouldn't be necessary just yesterday. This administration is clown shoes.

manfestival

He's not "addressing" shit and you'd knew that if you'd bothered to do the minimum amount of research into what Trump wants.

How does that make me manipulated? I opened the thread in curiosity to understand more but I am more blown away by the hatred I am seeing more than anything. No need to attack me on this.

What exactly about my post hints at some sorta manipulation(of course medias affect on me as I am taking your post as)? Your post is really out there but I am curious.

You're defending Trump for doing something about the opioid crisis when his budget aims to cut funding that would have been used for that and his repeal of Obamacare would have made things even worse had it succeeded.

He's not actually doing anything and you're falling for his empty words like a total sucker.

How does that make me manipulated? I opened the thread in curiosity to understand more but I am more blown away by the hatred I am seeing more than anything. No need to attack me on this.

He's lying and nothing he does to support the fight against the opioid crisis is going to make up for the support that he wants to take away. There's nothing wrong with hating that.

Kenai

Remember all the various sh*t he's spewed since the start of his campaign and then it gets a little hard to pat him on the back, especially when one of his primary objectives continues to be removing healthcare from those who desperately need it. AKA the exact opposite of what he is saying

This is empty and hollow and lying just like everything else on the two faced bastard's policy. At best, this is playing to poor white communities (the primary sufferers of this epidemic) who he needs votes from. He isn't going to actually do anything positive at all. Why in the heck would you trust him based on his record about anything? The man is and will continue to be a con artist.

manfestival

You're defending Trump for doing something about the opioid crisis when his budget aims to cut funding that would have been used for that and his repeal of Obamacare would have made things even worse had it succeeded.

He's not actually doing anything and you're falling for his empty words like a total sucker.

I didn't defend trump at all. I merely stated an observation. Never once did I "fall" for anything. Merely stated my intrigue from the thread title... came in and apparently it's a hostile mad house in here. Calm down fellas.

MUnited83

For you.

You believe that he is "addressing" the issue. He isn't, and that you believed him that easily is very concerning, and yes, it makes you manipulated.

I didn't defend trump at all. I merely stated an observation. Never once did I "fall" for anything. Merely stated my intrigue from the thread title... came in and apparently it's a hostile mad house in here. Calm down fellas.
It's a hostile madhouse because the evidence supports that.

manfestival

You believe that he is "addressing" the issue. He isn't, and that you believed him that easily is very concerning, and yes, it makes you manipulated.

I don't believe that though. You are assuming this. Your posts are entirely based on an assumption that seems to be driven by your hatred.

You think that this is "great that Trump addresses this concern" because you're naïve and apparently Trump's sleight of hand has worked on you.

I truly hope he does do everything in his power to solve this problem in a responsible and effective way, but this is a meaningless gesture in light of everything he has actually done to worsen the opioid crisis: budget proposals that would drastically cut federal drug prevention programs, vehemently pushing ACA "replacements" that would remove requirements for insurance companies to cover addiction programs, proposing to downsize ONDCP by up to 95%, among other more general things like appointing an Attorney General who would continue the war on drugs as opposed to embracing more effective alternative policy approaches necessitated in part by the opioid crisis. The list goes on.

So maybe take a second to check your facts before posting in a thread where you think Trump is doing something "great" to "address this concern" and then acting bewildered when no one falls for it.

manfestival

this was my initial thought prior to entering the the thread and reading the actual content which I never once addressed. You wouldn't know that because it was never actually asked what I thought after the fact. Anyways, clearly I stepped into the wrong neighborhood. Feels like I got mugged for posting in here. Don't know if I hate Trump or writing in political threads more. I am out.

Um, there are actual statements from the WH talking about more police and prisons.

Also, did Trump or didn't Trump push for passing the GOP health bill, which included gutting Medicaid and opioid treatment dollars?
No idea what you are referring to.

I don't believe that though. You are assuming this. Your posts are entirely based on an assumption that seems to be driven by your hatred.
Um, there are actual statements from the WH talking about more police and prisons.

Also, did Trump or didn't Trump push for passing the GOP health bill, which included gutting Medicaid and opioid treatment dollars?

Once again, action only taken when it affects white people, sorry filthy browns.

I would be shocked if there wasn't some from of restrictions that would make it harder for people of color to get treatment.

StarVigil

Reading this actually sounds amazing. The president is declaring it a national crisis. It sounds like the problem will be taken seriously. But then you realize that it's Trump saying words about stuff he doesn't understand. Appointing the same 4 bimbos with no expertise to the job, so nothing will actually be done. And then they will end up blaming Obama and Hillary as they usually do. But the people will keep on suffering. Nothing worse than giving people false hope and then letting them down. But elections matter. And America wanted catch phrases instead of competence. So this is what you get. The same lines over and over again while the problems are getting worse. It's like that friend who keeps doing stupid shit and ends up hurting himself and the people around him. What's sad is that millions of people will continue to suffer but America as a society isn't willing to help those in need.

this was my initial thought prior to entering the the thread and reading the actual content which I never once addressed. You wouldn't know that because it was never actually asked what I thought after the fact. Anyways, clearly I stepped into the wrong neighborhood. Feels like I got mugged for posting in here. Don't know if I hate Trump or writing in political threads more. I am out.

No idea what you are referring to.

How do you not understand that? In talking about the opioid crisis, the WH has responded by stating there is a need for more crackdowns, police, and prison sentences. He has also supported a health bill that will gut Medicaid and opioid treatment funding.

So do you see why simple statements here are being met with extreme scorn and skepticism? Given these statements are coming within weeks and days of each other?

In case you're wondering where the sudden compassion for drug offenders came from, the opioid crisis is a winner for Republicans because it affects poor, white rural communities. I can confidently say that approaching 100 percent of Trump voters know someone or have a family member that has been affected. It's decimating a generation where I live. So they're offering compassion and treatment there. Harsh sentences for minorities and the inner cities, though.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/the-opioid-crisis-in-black-and-white_us_594a90d1e4b07cdb1933bed5
Sums it up.

Understand that black and brown folk are watching this newfound compassion for drug addicts unfold with thinly veiled disgust and abject angst. Where was this tender love and compassion for the last 30 years when our people needed more help and less prison bars?

Nah, fuck this. Lock them up too. 10 year sentences for repeat meth/heroin offenders. Let's see how those broken homes and families do. Felony convictions so they become unemployable and no education in those prisons so they gain no meaningful skills during their time.

Let the cops start shooting first and asking questions later. These meth/heroin addict friends and family members of you guys were certainly no angels and deserve neither mercy nor quarter, just like all those black and brown bodies that found their way to similar addictions and struggles for similar reasons and disappeared into statistics, penitentiaries and cemeteries. Let them get to know the merciless criminal justice system as we do.

Top Bottom