• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Fires James Comey

Status
Not open for further replies.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
1dnag8.jpg

I laughed.

Linkura

Also, once the dems control the house, Paul Ryan is no longer next in line for President after the Vice President.

I mean, that's not going to happen, but obviously the wet dream scenario is that the fall out of this happens right after the new Democratic House Majority leader is sworn in come 2019, and Trump and Pence are taken out in one fell swoop.

Again, not going to happen, of course.
Claude Taylor seems to think that Ryan will be implicated as well and we'll have President Orrin Hatch....

But then the Democrats would control the House (extreme long shot the Senate) and could appoint an independent investigatior to probe the Russia ties and impeach him/them. Senate would be needed to remove him/them from office but if the evidence is damning enough...

A congressional special investigation would need a veto proof majority I believe. Dems taking control would still need help from the GOP.

Not

Banned
Whoever thought they needed to edit that picture could've at least used the same font. (talking about the 4chan one)

Shamed to admit, the original with the racist transcription of a Japanese person speaking English always made me laugh

pigeon

Banned
A congressional special investigation would need a veto proof majority I believe. Dems taking control would still need help from the GOP.

Either House of Congress can impanel a select committee of its own with one vote, nobody else has a say.

Once the committee is impaneled they have as much Congressional subpoena power as Congress grants them. Congressional subpoena power is nearly unlimited -- it's the basis for every congressional investigation.

oti

Banned
What are the odds of Trump being guilty of something criminal, like collusion with Russia, and Conservatives still supporting him?

50%? 60%?

In my opinion, even if the man was taken away in handcuffs, his supporters would be furious, blaming liberals. There is no way half the nation would accept him being capable of doing anything wrong. And therein lies the problem: even if he was guilty, they wouldn't care.

They'll pray his guilt away.

Either House of Congress can impanel a select committee of its own with one vote, nobody else has a say.

Once the committee is impaneled they have as much Congressional subpoena power as Congress grants them. Congressional subpoena power is nearly unlimited -- it's the basis for every congressional investigation.

Is this like an effective work around? I was reading about the Ethics in Government Act sun-setting so I had assumed a new law would need to be passed.

Trump thought he would get a PR win by firing Comey; the White House didn't expect this reaction.

I mean, really? His dumbass didn't think firing the dude in charge of Russian meddling in our elections wasn't gonna cause a shit storm? It's so hard for me to wrap my head around this lol.

But I guess it really is that easy. Our leader is a complete dumbass.

I mean, really? His dumbass didn't think firing the dude in charge of Russian meddling in our elections wasn't gonna cause a shit storm? It's so hard for me to wrap my head around this lol.

He probably saw Hillary's recent talk where she listed Comey as one of the reasons she believes she lost the election and thought he could get away with passing this off as throwing Democrats a bone.

commedieu

Banned
I think it was just his cadence that threw them off.

No. They're just ignorant. A lot of people in this country are. I wouldn't have cheered if I was in the audience. I imagine a lot of people wouldn't, that actually pay attention.

We forget because conservatives take the spotlight. But there's plenty of dumb to go around. Liberal ignorance doesn't vow to ruin lives of others. Minus the vaccine nuts.

Nafai1123

Banned
Is this like an effective work around? I was reading about the Ethics in Government Act sun-setting so I had assumed a new law would need to be passed.

There are three different options that people get confused.

Select committee
Independent commission
Special prosecutor

Ethics in Government Act only applies to a special prosecutor AFAIK. Congress still has power to form a select committee or independent commission.

I don't think Trump actually thought liberals would be happy. I think he just assumed this line of reasoning would give liberals less room to complain or more appropriately, give the DOJ/Trump a better retort than just shrugging their shoulders. It just isn't as effective as he hoped.

There are three different options that people get confused.

Select committee
Independent commission
Special prosecutor

Ethics in Government Act only applies to a special prosecutor AFAIK. Congress still has power to form a select committee or independent commission.

Thank you. More reading.

This Rosenstein guy just screwed his own career by doing this. Sure he maybe Deputy AG for a few years, but after that he'll never get a job in the government again. Hope it was worth it for him.

OldRoutes

pigeon

Banned

It depends on what your goal is, basically.

A special prosecutor would come from the Justice Department, with no say from Congress, and be able to file criminal charges.

A select committee would come from one or both houses of Congess and be able to run a Congressional investigation, but not file criminal charges. Lots of subpoena power though with perjury, spoliation and contempt if you refuse to comply.

An independent commission would require a law to be passed and have even more resources than a select committee. Still no criminal charge power, but more funding and time.

We probably need at least two of these, but one of them could potentially create enough pressure to force another.

I got the impression he thought Democrats would have no leg to stand on complaining given how much they dislike Comey.

So he expected blowback but thought it could be easily dismissed.

What are the odds of Trump being guilty of something criminal, like collusion with Russia, and Conservatives still supporting him?

50%? 60%?

In my opinion, even if the man was taken away in handcuffs, his supporters would be furious, blaming liberals. There is no way half the nation would accept him being capable of doing anything wrong. And therein lies the problem: even if he was guilty, they wouldn't care.

Trump's base are not half of America.

It depends on what your goal is, basically.

A special prosecutor would come from the Justice Department, with no say from Congress, and be able to file criminal charges.

A select committee would come from one or both houses of Congess and be able to run a Congressional investigation, but not file criminal charges. Lots of subpoena power though with perjury, spoliation and contempt if you refuse to comply.

An independent commission would require a law to be passed and have even more resources than a select committee. Still no criminal charge power, but more funding and time.

We probably need at least two of these, but one of them could potentially create enough pressure to force another.

Hypothetically speaking ... Sessions is compromised, but a select committee found evidence required to indict. What's the play?

Vimes

Henry Kissinger's official biography by Walter Isaacson, Kissinger, goes into great depth about Watergate. Kissinger was not involved and was unscathed by Watergate, as he'd go onto being a bigger political celebrity after the Watergate scandal than before, and he was out of the country during most of the tumultuous months.

You get a great sense for just how fucked up the Nixon white house was. When Trump took office earlier this year, I had finished the biography a few months early, and it seemed reminiscent. Not so much the idea that Trump could very well be a crook, but just that Trump seemed to foster a conspiratorial distrust of people closest to him, and that most in his cabinet seem dead set against each other with deep factions forming.

This is what you're looking for: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1468309994/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Elizabeth Drew's daily journals while covering the watergate scandal

You could also just pick a newspaper, pop into a database, and skim the headlines and opinion section daily through that period.

Thanks folks.

Kusagari

No. They're just ignorant. A lot of people in this country are. I wouldn't have cheered if I was in the audience. I imagine a lot of people wouldn't, that actually pay attention.

We forget because conservatives take the spotlight. But there's plenty of dumb to go around. Liberal ignorance doesn't vow to ruin lives of others. Minus the vaccine nuts.

I say this all the time on here when polls show most Americans being clueless on anything involving our political system and people on GAF instantly call out Republicans.

I live in a Democratic stronghold full of liberals. Almost everyone I interact with has no idea about the most basic of basic shit. They're just not voting to ruin lives with their ignorance.

android

Theoretical Magician
Here's the thing, you won't be able to move onto the impeachment trial until 2020 probably and it's a dead letter then.

The gambit you want is leave them in a cloud of scandal and say "the people should decide" in 2020. Both parties would prefer to take this chance over installing a President Pelosi. But the Democrats even more because you have every Democrat who wants to be running for President in 2020 not fighting a losing impeachment battle for the two years of their campaign.
Oh c'mon we all know Hilary's been promised the candidacy in 2020. ;)

pigeon

Banned
I say this all the time on here when polls show most Americans being clueless on anything involving our political system and people on GAF instantly call out Republicans.

I live in a Democratic stronghold full of liberals. Almost everyone I interact with has no idea about the most basic of basic shit. They're just not voting to ruin lives with their ignorance.

Yeah but that distinction is meaningful

I'd like to add that any law that brings back the special counsel powers of Congress would have to survive a fillibuster, so this is only feasible at the tail end of this process.

ICO_SotC

Claude Taylor seems to think that Ryan will be implicated as well and we'll have President Orrin Hatch....

Ever since there were reports of Mcconnell being specifically left out of two closed door intelligence briefings by Comey back in March, there's been speculation that he's involved somehow as well.

jelly

Wouldn't you be insane to jump on the Trump train at this point, people are already on it and have got their heads in the trough, just a little more...can't let go but looking in you must think to yourself, aligning with Trump is stupid, he is a crook at best, a traitor at worst and that's not even the other things he has done. You would be tainted for life or might go down with him.

pigeon

Banned
Hypothetically speaking ... Sessions is compromised, but a select committee found evidence required to indict. What's the play?

If there was clear evidence of a crime I assume they would "refer the matter to the Department of Justice" and expect DoJ to do their job.

The next step after that would be to demand that the president fire Sessions. Potentially impeach Sessions.

If the president refused to remove Sessions then the next step would be impeaching the president.

If Congress refused to act at that point, we have a pretty big problem.

In each case, obviously, the expectation would be that the clear and explicit defiance of the law would put more pressure on Republicans to act. That's why the "smoking gun" was important for Nixon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom