• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Fires James Comey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably a smart move politically.

In a nutshell: Trump can afford the beating the media will give him in the short-term. Our news cycle is such shit that you could bank on this being a non-story in a couple of weeks.

What Trump CANT afford is an ongoing investigation where, potentially, someone connected to trump is actually prosecuted. With this move, the investigation is essentially nipped. He knows the only other real dangers are the Senate investigation (lol) or the House investigation (bigger lol), or an investigation by the DOJ which is helmed by our buddy Sessions (biggest lol).

I personally think this is a calculated, smart move.

C_aqN4fUIAA92zY.jpg

Lols

what the fuck? why are they using the word resign?

Protome

Trump using a letter of dismissal to remind the public he definitely 100% isn't under investigation, nope is scary in itself.

Him firing the guy leading the investigation against him is of course far more terrifying. Regardless of how you feel about Comey, he's going to be replaced by someone vetted by the DOJ under the command of a man who had to recuse himself from the investigation in the first place. Trump is becoming more and more of a dictator every day.

The response I've heard from actual Watergate reporters is basically "you really have no idea where this goes until it happens."

I suspect Trump's downfall, if it ever happens, will be gradual. And then sudden. And we won't see it coming.

The response I've heard from actual Watergate reporters is basically "you really have no idea where this goes until it happens."

I suspect Trump's downfall, if it ever happens, will be gradual. And then sudden. And we won't see it coming.

Kind of like this!

I honestly don't know what to think anymore, I've almost lost interest. This guy is just beyond comprehension and every worst case scenario keeps happening. Honestly - will anything ever stick to this fucker?

This is the worst moment to lose interest. The public is the last line of defence.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Unbelievable. My country is a parody now.

It is unfathomable to me that a President under investigation can dismiss the head of the organization investigating him based on the advice from an AG that is most likely a huge part of said investigation as well.

It's time to revolt.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Read past the first three paragraphs. It's a two page memo. There are multiple causes mentioned.

You're being way too simpleminded about this. The letter says he did three things wrong:

(1) Tell the public he was recommending no prosecution. This is the part you are hung up on.

(2) Talk shit about Hillary in his press conference. You are ignoring that part.

(3) Tell everyone they were reopening the investigation because of Weiner's emails. You are ignoring that part also.

They universally thought she was guilty. That would take her out of the race whether he said anything bad about her or not. They're saying the way he handled things compromised the investigation.

The Weiner email part is true, I agree there. Although it's overwhelmingly weighted towards "She should be guilty, and you fucked it up"

what the fuck? why are they using the word resign?

For real, he didn't even "resign" in the "I asked him to resign" sort of way, the way they did with Flynn. Cheeto's letter explicitly says Comey has been terminated effective immediately, the word "resign" doesn't appear once.

Fox literally spreading fake news.

EDIT: It's fake according to commedieu :p

What does this mean, long-term, for an investigation into Trump's ties to Russia?
This looks awful, but can it really shut down ongoing work that's being completed by others at the FBI?
Comey wasn't leading that investigation, was he?
Those FBI officials will continue to work on the investigation.

WaPo is our next, best hope. This isn't their first rodeo.

Dyle

but didn't Trump fire him? not Sessions?

Trump fired him explicitly listing Sessions' recommendation as the primary reason for his firing. Trump took the advice of someone who recused himself from the Russian investigation to fire the man in charge of the Russian investigation. thus it is near impossible to argue that Sessions did not effectively act on the investigation which he specifically recused himself from, knowing that his recommendation to the president was that Comey be fired

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Wow.
Wow.
So he can now the new head of FBI who has to "investigate" him then?
How is this even legal? Like, what the fuck?

That's you gettin' fired ha
That's you that can't keep your FBI job
'Cause you keep messing with dem emails ha
You gotta go home ha
You got served a pink slip by a manchild ha
That was that nerve ha...

tumblr_mwl95cevy61reey4zo1_400.gif

But for real though, this is scary as fuck. It's like Nixon decided, "I'm gonna stage a coup" with a GOP filling all three branches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom