• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Fires James Comey

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDug13

Why is this poster an obvious Russian astroturfer?

This shit is getting tossed around too often and too casually.

Waits to be called a Russian as well.

I guess I could just say idiot then. Step one claim nothing will ever happen. Step two say it's all the media's fault. Step three chastise all of us who are up in arms over this shit.

There's a group of people with these steps as their constant agenda in forums and other social media. If you make statements that fit that agenda, you might get swept up in that identification.

I agree both of these are sources are unreliable, but we're not exactly in normal territory here.

At this point anything is possible with all the craziness that's happened last few days.

If you would have told me that Trump was going to fire Comey, Lie about the reasons, threaten the fbi director with existence of a tape, and Subpoenas being handed out to the former NS advisor I would have said you're fucking nuts lol

This is crazy town!

The fact that we are in abnormal crazy town means that we should be even more rigorous about sourcing. The chaos provides motive and cover for con artists and over-enthusiastic hangers on to spew crap.

I agree both of these are sources are unreliable, but we're not exactly in normal territory here.

At this point anything is possible with all the craziness that's happened last few days.

If you would have told me that Trump was going to fire Comey, Lie about the reasons, threaten the fbi director with existence of a tape, and Subpoenas being handed out to the former NS advisor I would have said you're fucking nuts lol

This is crazy town!

Do you understand how Donald Trump got elected into office in the first place?

hEist

following this thread since the beginning but so far haven't seen any comment of trump defence force here. They don't care I guess?

Another question: Trump is in charge to select a new FBI Director or? And no other institutions can veto it or? ( i'm German, don't know the regulations). If yes, he can pick who ever he wants? Not necessary need any IC experience I guess?

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
following this thread since the beginning but so far haven't seen any comment of trump defence force here. They don't care I guess?

Another question: Trump is in charge to select a new FBI Director or? And no other institutions can veto it or? ( i'm German, don't know the regulations). If yes, he can pick who ever he wants? Not necessary need any IC experience I guess?

He can pick whomever he wants, but they have to be confirmed by the senate. Even GOP Senators have warned that anyone who isn't qualified isn't getting through.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
They don't have a defense to play after Trump himself blew up the pretense that it wasn't about the Russian investigation.

The Senate needs to confirm with a simple majority. Otherwise, he can try to nominate virtually anyone. They'd probably have to be able to pass background checks, get security clearances, etc.

hEist

He can pick whomever he wants, but they have to be confirmed by the senate. Even GOP Senators have warned that anyone who isn't qualified isn't getting through.

They don't have a defense to play after Trump himself blew up the pretense that it wasn't about the Russian investigation.

The Senate needs to confirm with a simple majority. Otherwise, he can try to nominate virtually anyone. They'd probably have to be able to pass background checks, get security clearances, etc.

welp, on the hand it sounds good, but republicans got the majority in the senate i guess?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
He's obviously putting gop puppets into every single position able to start investigations against him, like he did with Sessions, Nunes etc. How is this still surprising?

He's 100% guilty, but he's also gonna own every position able to lead to his impeachment soon, so it won't matter. At least that's what I, as a European, get from all this.

He's obviously putting gop puppets into every single position able to start investigations against him, like he did with Sessions, Nunes etc. How is this still surprising?

He's 100% guilty, but he's also gonna own every position able to lead to his impeachment soon, so it won't matter. At least that's what I, as a European, get from all this.

You are mixing up an impeachment wth an investigation. Of course trump can work to stymie new investigations and can work to stop charges against his staff but if the GOP wanted to they can impeach no matter what he does. Or article 25 him. They don't need new investigations they can find a basis from the last 100 days and vote on it. dems would vote so it only needs part of the GOP.

They would do that if they feel he is really endangering their re-elections in a big way, or maybe if he gets so insane, it's impossible to pretend it's just a passing temporary condition.

Not to say this is likely but it's more likely now than it was three weeks ago and it's more likely three weeks ago than it was three weeks after election, so perhaps there is a trend here.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Looks like trump might dump Spicey for Kimberly Guilfoyle. I knew if he was going to pick a woman it would be an attractive one.

Huckster Sanders could have convinced tge press that Obama colluded with sputum and she wouldn't get the job. Trump is too shallow to let an overweight woman be the face of his newsroom.

Man I'm gonna miss Spicey, he's the best thing to come out of this administration

HariKari

If it ever comes to it, the intelligence community in the US will pass all the relevant evidence and info to allies for dumping for all to see. That will only happen if every legal avenue is sealed off. These things take time so anyone expecting instant indictments after Comey being fired or whatever is in for a disappointingly long wait.

nomis

This sounds like total BS. Schindler, Mensch and Taylor are tossing shit out there non-stop and touting the few times they are right as reason to trust them.

You toss enough BS and you'll be right at least a few times.

This is not an accurate assessment of Schindler and Taylor's track records

I refuse to make statement on Mensch's credibility

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
You are mixing up an impeachment wth an investigation. Of course trump can work to stymie new investigations and can work to stop charges against his staff but if the GOP wanted to they can impeach no matter what he does. Or article 25 him. They don't need new investigations they can find a basis from the last 100 days and vote on it. dems would vote so it only needs part of the GOP.

They would do that if they feel he is really endangering their re-elections in a big way, or maybe if he gets so insane, it's impossible to pretend it's just a passing temporary condition.

Not to say this is likely but it's more likely now than it was three weeks ago and it's more likely three weeks ago than it was three weeks after election, so perhaps there is a trend here.

Yeah, you might be right. Thanks for explaining, I'll try to be a bit more hopeful!

This Administration has a wonderful track record with vetting people for various positions...

This is not an accurate assessment of Schindler and Taylor's track records

I refuse to make statement on Mensch's credibility

There is speculation that they are being fed warped info to uncover leakers. For example an infant investigation exists - ok - and grand jury - ok - but some possible sources get fed some tainted info and the authorities see what surfaces by Louise and Claude, and shut down the source depending what it is that they tweet on.

Their latest scoops seems to be confusing in their detail to people familiar with intricate legal processes and so the suggestion is they are getting played. If they don't have a legal background and only have one or two sources they are on thin ice.
Who knew accurate journalism isn't easy?

pigeon

Banned
There is speculation that they are being fed warped info to uncover leakers. For example an infant investigation exists - ok - and grand jury - ok - but some possible sources get fed some tainted info and the authorities see what surfaces by Louise and Claude, and shut down the source depending what it is that they tweet on.

Their latest scoops seems to be confusing in their detail to people familiar with intricate legal processes and so the suggestion is they are getting played. If they don't have a legal background and only have one or two sources they are on thin ice.
Who knew accurate journalism isn't easy?

This theory assumes that their sources are also too dumb to know what a FISA court is.

If your sources are that dumb, why would you trust them as sources?

This theory assumes that their sources are also too dumb to know what a FISA court is.

If your sources are that dumb, why would you trust them as sources?

The question wasn't whether or not they know what a FISC is, it's to do with how that is connected to a sealed indictment.

A lawyer says a fisc (fisa court) can convene a grand jury and of course a grand jury can return an indictment.
People are arguing over the mechanisms and detail. Therefore it seems plausible that the source is being misled, and certainly Louise and Claude are too.
Being kind, I prefer that explanation to Louise and Claude are outright playing games with social media for kicks.

Tovarisc

PzemhM1.png

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/863763035068018688

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...18f6849a004_story.html?utm_term=.8207e5ddff5e

mqfdTiQ.png

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/863411698836885504

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...2beef8121f7_story.html?utm_term=.1fa691163ab7

When in doubt, golf!

b7UwZf2.png

https://twitter.com/Al_Drago/status/863767223684476928

Ithil

I gotta be honest, I don't get the golf thing. I've golfed before, but I can't imagine doing it weekly. It's really not that interesting a game to do it all the time.

Is it because it's a sport that requires absolutely minimum physical activity if you use a caddy car?

I gotta be honest, I don't get the golf thing. I've golfed before, but I can't imagine doing it weekly. It's really not that interesting a game to do it all the time.

Is it because it's a sport that requires absolutely minimum physical activity if you use a caddy car?

No, no, no. You see, Trump is doing very important, busy work while he's golfing. He's advancing his presidential relationships while he's golfing with people. Very presidential. Tremendously professional. He's not like that lazy bum Obama who just golfed to have fun.

(I'm pretty sure this is an exact excuse Spicer used one time and asked why Trump golfs all the time.)

It's quiet and private quality time with some rich sycophants, giving the beleaguerd narcissist nothing but positive feedback.

Protome

Ah so Trump has his rooms bugged. That isnt disturbing at all.
Its terrifying but also hilarious if true. Given numerous leaks so far seen to have come from white house staffers, if the rooms are bugged and even some of them (as is implied there) have access to listen no wonder so much shit has been leaked.

RCSI

That's a golf visit every week or 1.2 golf visits per week. At this rate, he will have visited a golf course ~231 instances if he reaches the end of his term (my math may be off).

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure I'm following this one this one. He offered a drink to people who were not there?

He ordered a drink without actually contacting anyone via phone or talkbox or red desk button . Basically someone is listening in and heard his drink order.

That means the oval office is bugged.

Tarydax

Banned
I'm not sure I'm following this one this one. He offered a drink to people who were not there?

He offered people a drink without asking anyone else to get the drinks, so someone had to have been listening in on the conversation to even know about them.

Edit: Beaten

slit

He ordered a drink without actually contacting anyone via phone or talkbox or red desk button . Basically someone is listening in and heard his drink order.

Yeah, i got it after reading it a second time.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

He offered them a drink then, without hitting an intercom or calling out to a secretary, he was brought the drinks. The implication is that he had the room bugged and someone was listening in.

So what are the odds that someone starts leaking the Oval Office tapes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom