• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump says he will 'most likely' not take part in Fox debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengraven

He's probably worried he'll say something misogynist and get caught.

But honestly, he doesn't care. He's ahead. And in business you don't take meetings that don't accomplish anything. He'll let his rivals spit among themselves while he's on the beach.

OuterLimits

No. This won't even be remembered in 2 months. And he won't have the luxury of doing this again if he actually wants to win this thing.

I agree. However, it may work this time because Fox decided to go on the attack. Kind of hard for them to claim they will host a fair debate after those statements. It seems they want to influence the race and not merely report on it.

Even the "pollster" Frank Luntz made a tweet saying "Megyn for President" . Makes sense now why his Fox focus groups never had Trump supporters. Lol.

hemo memo

Gold Member
The hilarious thing is Fox can't win here.

They can either look like little bitches and beg Trump to come, making him look like a boss. Or they can stand their ground, lose ratings and make Trump look like a boss for shutting out the establishment news channel.

Either way Trump wins.

And we lose.

HylianTom

Banned
Fox fucked up. They gave him a great weapon with that statement, and now what Trump says about his treatment is at least plausible. He might be an ass, but anyone reading that statement can see it for themselves. They should've stuck to by-the-book treatment. Now they can running up-ring the bell.

I know it's unlikely, but I'd love for GOP voters to nominate someone whom the party's media apparatus can't fully get behind. They're already at a structural disadvantage for the general, so to see a lack of unity from their biggest messaging outlet would be fun, and potentially damaging.

danm999

@realDonaldTrump I refuse to call Megyn Kelly a bimbo, because that would not be politically correct. Instead I will only call her a lightweight reporter!

Shit like this makes me look forward to November 5th this year when a bunch of articles all ask
"Why did Trump lose?" and all immediately say "oh that's right he routinely pissed off the biggest voting bloc in the country".

It'll serve him marvellously in the GOP primary though.

Vagabundo

Trump is the republican that keeps on giving. I hope there is a call out to him in the next House of Cards, if not the writers have missed the lol-train.

Interfectum

Gold Member
This move by Trump is a mistake.

I mean sure F Fox News, but it's going to cost him votes.

I think it makes him look childish as hell. The Trump supporters will back him but independents will see this as yet another reason why he shouldn't be anywhere near the White House.

Interfectum

Gold Member
I don't know who I hate more.. Trump or Fox.... hm...probably fox.

Fox is far more damaging long term, so yeah Fox is worse. I just hope Megyn Kelly and the rest learn from this. They created this monster and they see how crazy and dumb his followers are (people they helped cultivate). Perhaps she dials back the fearmongering a bit going forward, especially if she really cares about women's rights.

lol who am I kidding...

HylianTom

Banned
I don't know who I hate more.. Trump or Fox.... hm...probably fox.
For the last few elections, we've seen Fox News as the unofficial mouthpiece of the GOP candidate's campaign. I'd love to see what a Twitter-era campaign looks like when that mouthpiece is no longer fully on-board.

jmdajr

Why I'm voting for Trump

391a8991_o.png

You cant talk about being a tough guy and hard ass on the international stage then back out of a debate because a reporter you dont like is hosting it.

This is a genius move by Trump:

1.) It makes him the center of media attention into Iowa.
2.) It makes Cruz the number 1 target at the debate for everyone else.
3.) In truth, Trump can only lose at this debate as he has nothing more to win after 6 previous debates putting him near 40% of the primary electorate.
3.) He is actually acting out the anti-establishment candidate, which will help cement his power base, if not grow it.

Anyone who thinks this is a bad move need to rethink who Trump is. This is authentic Trump and is why people are voting for this guy.

BigDug13

I think it makes him look childish as hell. The Trump supporters will back him but independents will see this as yet another reason why he shouldn't be anywhere near the White House.

He swore he was boycotting Fox News months ago. Backing down now shows equally that he isn't fit for the office if he can't even stand his ground against a media company. Kinda lose lose in this instance.

Calamari41

41 > 38
You cant talk about being a tough guy and hard ass on the international stage then back out of a debate because a reporter you dont like is hosting it.

The ability to threaten to walk away from the table and have people believe it is an absolute staple of real world negotiation. I'm not a Trump supporter by any means, but this criticism rings hollow with me. I mean, Hillary and Bernie wouldn't exactly sign onto a Sean Hannity moderated debate, would they? They wouldn't, and for the same reason Trump is refusing to go to the Megyn Kelly moderated debate.

Roger Ailes is close to George H.W. Bush

Fox is part of the Republican establishment. Ailes is salty that Bush's son Jeb! got pulverized by Trump

RPGCrazied

Trump is making liberals side with Fox News.

Just let that sink in.

Yeah, I loathe Fox News pretty much, but sorry to say I'm on Fox's side this time. If Trump can't handle being questioned by a Fox News reporter, how in the hell should he be trusted in the white house?

No, thanks.

Sushi Nao

Fox is far more damaging long term, so yeah Fox is worse. I just hope Megyn Kelly and the rest learn from this. They created this monster and they see how crazy and dumb his followers are (people they helped cultivate). Perhaps she dials back the fearmongering a bit going forward, especially if she really cares about women's rights.

lol who am I kidding...

Fox is making a shit-load of money either way. People love conflict reporting, they don't really care what the source is.

The election is the new highest-grossing reality show, if anything they're going to get more involved.

ICKE

Banned
Yeah, I loathe Fox News pretty much, but sorry to say I'm on Fox's side this time. If Trump can't handle being questioned by a Fox News reporter, how in the hell should he be trusted in the white house?

No, thanks.

Trump might just revolutionize the political landscape if this is a success. Angry people don't really want to watch rehearsed closing statements and empty rhetoric - something the debates are all about.

Disenfranchised voters want politicians who speak directly to he electorate, who host rallies and have a strong aura. This is what Trump is doing now. Career politicians like Clinton and Bush believe in the conventional wisdom that you need to go through the motions, have an intellectual debate about issues. You need to "fit in", "appear presidential" and so on.

Trump is throwing all this out the window, he wants to empower the mob; the kind of people that are not looking for pragmatic long term solutions. They want to crown a king.

It is extremely dangerous for obvious reasons but highly entertaining.

Nibiru

Banned
There is no way the moderators allow this debate to become the Trump show. I think the biggest loser in this will be Cruz because many have called this a 2 man race(only in Iowa Trump is way ahead everywhere else)all the other candidates will pile on Cruz. If they do make it the Trump show even without him there then that would help him imo.

He's done so many debates and based on polls, has won most of them. I can't think of a scenario where this hurts Trump.

Just let that sink in.

I'm not seeing that at all. On the forums I've been to, even on Reddit, most seem to support Trump on this.

Just let that sink in.

the opposite with me.

This Liberal over here support's Trump's quest at sticking it to the rest of the Republican establishment and saving America from another neocon Bush-Rubio Presidency

Trump is doing America a favor

Hillary 2016!

Revolver

@realDonaldTrump I refuse to call Megyn Kelly a bimbo, because that would not be politically correct. Instead I will only call her a lightweight reporter!

I thought his whole shtick revolves around how un-PC he is. So now he's politically correct?

This whole Fox/Trump thing is just so delightful.

ICKE

Banned
He should host a townhall at the same time.

I'm expecting a spectacle with endorsements and all kinds of crazy nonsense.

I want him to stream the Republican debate during his event and blast all the other candidates (+Megyn Kelly). The crowd would love that.

jmdajr

http://www.foxnews.com/

FoxNews homepage calling him Donald Ducks.

Trump says he will not participate in Republican debate

As many of our viewers know, FOX News is hosting a sanctioned debate in Des Moines, Iowa on Thursday night, three days before the first votes of the 2016 election are cast in the Iowa Caucus. Donald Trump is refusing to debate seven of his fellow presidential candidates on stage that night, which is near unprecedented.

We’re not sure how Iowans are going to feel about him walking away from them at the last minute, but it should be clear to the American public by now that this is rooted in one thing – Megyn Kelly, whom he has viciously attacked since August and has now spent four days demanding be removed from the debate stage. Capitulating to politicians’ ultimatums about a debate moderator violates all journalistic standards, as do threats, including the one leveled by Trump’s campaign manager Corey Lewandowski toward Megyn Kelly.

In a call on Saturday with a FOX News executive, Lewandowski stated that Megyn had a ‘rough couple of days after that last debate’ and he ‘would hate to have her go through that again.’ Lewandowski was warned not to level any more threats, but he continued to do so. We can’t give in to terrorizations toward any of our employees.

Trump is still welcome at Thursday night’s debate and will be treated fairly, just as he has been during his 132 appearances on FOX News & FOX Business, but he can’t dictate the moderators or the questions.

RPGCrazied

the opposite with me.

This Liberal over here support's Trump's quest at sticking it to the rest of the Republican establishment and saving America from another neocon Bush-Rubio Presidency

Trump is doing America a favor

Hillary 2016!

Yeah, but you are playing with fire. If you want him to get the nomination, he could slip into the cracks and actually win. We have to want him not getting the nomination. Cruz would get slaughtered by the democrat nominee anyway.

boiled goose

good with gravy
I'm expecting a spectacle with endorsements and all kinds of crazy nonsense.

I want him to stream the Republican debate during his event and blast all the other candidates (+Megyn Kelly). The crowd would love that.

That would be a great move. A livestream of him commenting on the debate.

Im no trump supporter, but fuck the establishment corporate media.

Yeah, but you are playing with fire. If you want him to get the nomination, he could slip into the cracks and actually win. We have to want him not getting the nomination. Cruz would get slaughtered by the democrat nominee anyway.

I would prefer Trump over Cruz as President, so im not one for playing games. I want the best Democrat and least bad Republican as the candidates. None of this gaming the system BS.

Just let that sink in.

I'm actually on Trump's side here. Fuck Fox News and their bullshit. The only reason Trump is even remotely likable to me, is because he is fucking with the people I hate the most, bias new outlets and politicians in general.

Fox News abuses its power and position all the time. They are in complete control of every other GOP candidate. Now they are finally in the backseat and it's fun to watch them squirm.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I thought his whole shtick revolves around how un-PC he is. So now he's politically correct?

This whole Fox/Trump thing is just so delightful.

I think the intent behind that tweet is pretty obvious... he's pulled it before. "I would never say that *person* is *something horrible*"

Bowler

No, thanks.

If you think for one second, that this has anything to do with Megan,and her so called bias or whatever, I've got news for you. This is a straight up tactic, to further himself from the establishment, gaining support from citizens that feel the status quo needs to change... looks like it's working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom