• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump says he will 'most likely' not take part in Fox debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjinaz

The RNC stripped NBC of a debate because they were unhappy with how CNBC ran theirs but they are perfectly happy with a conservative news network that books guests daily that do nothing but say how awful Trump is and have the first question of the first debate be about Trump's tweets and the War on Women, something that conservatives don't believe exists in the first place.

While i think this does look bad for Trump initially, it all depends on how big of a counter-event he has and if the ratings of a Trump-less debate do drop.

This is true. Anybody that has been paying attention will see that Fox has clearly played favorites and that Kelly has it out for him in particular.

That said, the future president of the united states doesn't back down. They find a way to turn a disadvantage into an advantage. Or at least that's what most reasonable people would say. Trump supporters are happy with Trump challenging the establishment no matter how it makes him and them look so this move will make them quite happy. I don't think it will effect his current numbers much if at all.

jusufin

This is true. Anybody that has been paying attention will see that Fox has clearly played favorites and that Kelly has it out for him in particular.

That said, the future president of the united states doesn't back down. They find a way to turn a disadvantage into an advantage. Or at least that's what most reasonable people would say. Trump supporters are happy with Trump challenging the establishment no matter how it makes him and them look so this move will make them quite happy. I don't think it will effect his current numbers much if at all.

I don't think it will affect his supporters either, but from an outsider's perspective he definitely looks like he's whining.

Then you have just cemented your own point. He is going to win this one and he is going to do it by fighting where he wants and not how they want it.

The next 24 hours will be very interesting.
FNC will be on constant 'why is Donald Trump a coward? afraid of tough questions' etc..
I have no idea what the Trump campaign is going to do, but he set this all up. He set a trap, they walked straight into and when they sprung it, they did it with a fantastic statement.

rjinaz

I don't think it will affect his supporters either, but from an outsider's perspective he definitely looks like he's whining.

I agree, it does.

Though I think the people that are going to vote for Trump are the kind that won't be bothered by this. Would he have gotten more support from this debate? I kind of doubt it. If anything is numbers will stay the same regardless and Trump gets to skip out on a debate and take the opportunity to get bonus points with a charity event (which does actually benefit people so you can't really complain about that).

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
1) Groom a base to not trust the media when it levies attacks on the Republicans.

2) blatantly be an establishment proxy and levy attacks against the candidate of choice for the base that you've groomed to mistrust "the media!"

3) ????

4) Trump profits

rjinaz

Then you have just cemented your own point. He is going to win this one and he is going to do it by fighting where he wants and not how they want it.

FNC will be on constant 'why is Donald Trump a coward? afraid of tough questions' etc..
I have no idea what the Trump campaign is going to do, but he set this all up. He set a trap, they walked straight into and when they sprung it, they did it with a fantastic statement.

You're right, he'll win the primaries, we agree on that. But this kind of behavior will fall flat in the general where his most loyal fanbase won't be enough to carry him past Sanders or Clinton. That's how I see it anyway.

SaviourMK2

you're dreaming

He is playing the get the GOP nom game now. Everything is looking good.

In the general he will be the centrist candidate who defeated Fox News.

rjinaz

He is playing the get the GOP nom game now. Everything is looking good.

In the general he will be the centrist candidate who defeated Fox News.

No. This won't even be remembered in 2 months. And he won't have the luxury of doing this again if he actually wants to win this thing.

jusufin

I agree, it does.

Though I think the people that are going to vote for Trump are the kind that won't be bothered by this. Would he have gotten more support from this debate? I kind of doubt it. If anything is numbers will stay the same regardless and Trump gets to skip out on a debate and take the opportunity to get bonus points with a charity event (which does actually benefit people so you can't really complain about that).

He won't lose the republican race but he has a snowball's chance in hell of changing the broader public's opinions of him. His game works on his base because it caters to them but it's not gonna play outside of that arena. The campaign he's run and everything he has said up until now has alienated a large portion of voters that are gonna be needed to win in the general election. Supporters see him as the genius mastermind pulling strings while everybody dances to his tune, I definitely don't hold that view. I think he's a racist buffoon with a lot of money that has afforded him great strategists and marketing people that pushed him to the front by utilizing his biggest asset, his brand that he's created over the years. He's a TV personality who knows how to get attention and keep it, and the media eats it up because it brings views in. That's what has the republicans shaken, they know he can't win but he's become so good at selling himself to the republican base that they can't beat him either.

Bowdz

No. This won't even be remembered in 2 months. And he won't have the luxury of doing this again if he actually wants to win this thing.

He won't need to if he wins the nomination. His only goal right now is to prevent Cruz from winning Iowa. If he does that, the nomination is his to lose. This gambit need only work once for it to serve its purpose.

The Trump Gambit.

Classy. As. Fuck.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
You don't gamble when you're the frontrunner.

If he shows up it'll just be the Red Wedding for him. Better to just avoid it and do your own thing, especially when he's the main draw of these things. The ratings will go down, the channels that aren't hosting the debate will all cover him and the story will be Trump is bigger than the rest of the field put together.

Loakum

Banned
First Fox News lost control of the:

• The Tea Party
  • Clive Bundy Naravtive
  • Donald Trump
They get exactly what they deserve for being an Right Wing Propaganda machine disguised as an news channel.

(now having said all of that...I don't blame Trump, because Meygan Kelly is annoying as fuck!)

Sianos

i don't buy the argument of trump being able to walk these back to the center - both because it will piss of his base and because its a pretty long trip back from "we need to ban all muslims until further notice!" and "i will make mexico pay for a big wall!" to the center

and if he does try to, i think its our duty to let the republican base know how the man who was going to give them what they wanted betrayed them like everyone else ;)

i do appreciate him tearing apart fox news in the meanwhile, though

rjinaz

He won't need to if he wins the nomination. His only goal right now is to prevent Cruz from winning Iowa. If he does that, the nomination is his to lose. This gambit need only work once for it to serve its purpose.

The Trump Gambit.

Classy. As. Fuck.

Ok but how is this classy, like at all? I mean you could argue it's smart, if it works. But classy? Backing down from a fight because he doesn't get his way makes you want him as president more? When he said he could shoot somebody and his supporters wouldn't care did you also think this was classy as fuck? You realize he's literally saying my supporters will blindly follow me without even thinking.

Makai

If he shows up it'll just be the Red Wedding for him. Better to just avoid it and do your own thing, especially when he's the main draw of these things. The ratings will go down, the channels that aren't hosting the debate will all cover him and the story will be Trump is bigger than the rest of the field put together.
I hope so. I still feel like this blows up in his face big time.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I assume he'll show up and pretend they had to beg him to come back, but if he doesn't I do believe it'll backfire as he live tweets petty responses to it, drawing more attention to it and the hour or two of unanswered attacks. Jeb and Cruz gonna go all in.

Loakum

Banned
i don't buy the argument of trump being able to walk these back to the center - both because it will piss of his base and because its a pretty long trip back from "we need to ban all muslims until further notice!" and "i will make mexico pay for a big wall!" to the center

and if he does try to, i think its our duty to let the republican base know how the man who was going to give them what they wanted betrayed them like everyone else ;)

Agreed. I don't think Trump intends to walk it back to the center. he's running an Barry Goldwater type of campaign. In other words he's strictly appealing to the white vote. he's hoping to get more of the white vote out than the McCain and Romney campaigns. It might work because President Obama has disappointed Blacks and Hispanics with his broken promises, and doubling down on Bush policies.

I think "Right Wing Propaganda machine" is giving them a bit too much credit.
It's exactly what Fox News is. 24 hours a day. I hate that Jon Stewart retired from the Daily Show. He would have an field day with this election.

rjinaz

Agreed. That's not going to work. At all. His supporters would drop him fast. He can't back down anyway, he's too far gone into it at this point. He literally said even today that Mexico is paying for a wall and described how the great wall of China was made 2000 years ago so it will be easy.

Which is kind of great as somebody that can't stand Trump. If he keeps going how is he going he won't have the support of a lot of Republicans and also Independents. But if he tries to back down he'll lose his supporters and the Republican's will call him on it as well.
It's a no win situation in my mind. But that's a while off yet. We don't even know who he'll be running against yet. I will say though that Trump is doing all the right things to win the primary.

danm999

You can't walk back the things Trump has said. It will just make you look like a complete traitor to the people who got you there, and immensely full of shit to anyone else.

The only reason it sort of works is sometimes for politicians is because most of the time nobody gives a shit at this point in the process and this is all relegated to venues and discussions most people don't pay attention to.

Which is exactly Trump's problem right now. Know how Trump is boasting about how much of a ratings draw he is? How many Twitter followers he gets and how money people attend his rallies? It's because people are fucking paying attention to him right now, whether they're in love with him as a candidate, or hate his guys. People are paying attention early and often, at least as far as Trump is concerned.

The exact reason Trump has been so successful thus far, gotten so much support, made such a splash, is the exact reason he can't do the typical politician walk back during the general. He is already in the general as far as most people are concerned, and is already extremely defined as a candidate, and that definition is not something he's going to be able to shed in a few months.

BigDug13

If he wins the primary and tries to become more moderate, he's just going to look more like Clinton in overall policy, but will still have an "R" after his name. That garners him all the support from "R" voters that he will need and might pick up a few Hillary haters along the way. It's not like hardcore "R" voters have anyone else to vote for at that point. They're DEFINITELY not going to vote for the "D" candidate, even if the "D" candidate was more far right than the "R" candidate. It's about that letter after their name for so many voters, it's sickening.

Polari

Interesting to see if he actually skips this one or slinks down like the CNN debate.

Who knows, but skipping it and holding his own event at the same time would be a tactically brilliant move. Raise money for vets and get it broadcast on a competing channel and totally ether Fox. Not to mention the side-effect of him not having to participate in the debate which are always risky for him anyway.

danm999

So uh, I don't see this posted in the OP or elsewhere in the thread, but Fox appears to be doubling down on their refusal to do anything about Megyn Kelly going so far as to imply the Trump campaign is using their supporters to try and intimidate her;

Capitulating to politicians’ ultimatums about a debate moderator violates all journalistic standards, as do threats, including the one leveled by Trump’s campaign manager Corey Lewandowski toward Megyn Kelly. In a call on Saturday with a Fox News executive, Lewandowski stated that Megyn had a ‘rough couple of days after that last debate’ and he ‘would hate to have her go through that again.’ Lewandowski was warned not to level any more threats, but he continued to do so. We can’t give in to terrorizations toward any of our employees.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/on-media/2016/01/fox-news-donald-trump-megyn-kelly-218271

Let them fight.gif and all but this is getting kind of nasty faster and faster.

Sean*O

If you've already got enough momentum that you don't have to play a trained monkey and do all of the customary things people think you need to do in order to win, then why bring your already established audience to your own prime time character assassanation and bring more attention to your opponents while pulling millions of dollars into the bank for a network that will take that money and spend it in whatever way they can to destroy you?

Every other candidate needs face time, Trump doesn't. This wouldn't be a debate it would be a shooting gallery. A debate would be arguing the same subjects, not having the "moderators" throw beanballs at one guy and lob gentle underhand softballs at their candidate of choice. The whole format is broken and only designed for ratings and controversy and losing Trump will cost FOX a whole lot of both.

Loakum

Banned
Amusing that Rand Paul was the one who proved this strategy can sort of work.

That's Rand Paul bossing around CNN, who are hungry for ratings. Fox News don't have an ratings problem. They're gonna keep Meygan in the debate.

jusufin

If you've already got enough momentum that you don't have to play a trained monkey and do all of the customary things people think you need to do in order to win, then why bring your already established audience to your own prime time character assassanation and bring more attention to your opponents while pulling millions of dollars into the bank for a network that will take that money and spend it in whatever way they can to destroy you?

Every other candidate needs face time, Trump doesn't. This wouldn't be a debate it would be a shooting gallery. A debate would be arguing the same subjects, not having the "moderators" throw beanballs at one guy and lob gentle underhand softballs at their candidate of choice. The whole format is broken and only designed for ratings and controversy and losing Trump will cost FOX a whole lot of both.

You could say that for anyone in first place who doesn't want someone to take the position from them. It's like playing a game against somebody shit talking the whole time and turning the console off the second you get first place. Your friends may all applaud you and back you up, but everybody else in the room is going to think you're a little bitch.

All I'm saying is that he's not doing himself any favors by not showing up even if it doesn't effect him in the short term. People are paying attention and he's not looking great outside of the already converted.

Kathian

Banned
His main issue will be the people who don't follow closely enough to understand why he's suddenly not there. But I think with his absense there might be a wake up call for how mental some of the other candidates are.

This thread just reads like a bunch of people who never understood why Trump was in the lead in the first place explaining why this move is bad for him.

Take a quick visit to breitbart and see what's going on over there. Or his FB page. Or his twitter. This is just the continuation of the same shit he's been doing for months and people still can't figure out why he keeps doing better in polls.

Tom_Cody

This thread just reads like a bunch of people who never understood why Trump was in the lead in the first place explaining why this move is bad for him.

Take a quick visit to breitbart and see what's going on over there. Or his FB page. Or his twitter. This is just the continuation of the same shit he's been doing for months and people still can't figure out why he keeps doing better in polls.
I understand that he's being provocative, but I don't understand why this behavior keeps rewarding him in the polls.

Do you? I continue to be baffled at why this make people want him to be president (though at this point I at least recognize that this will help him with his audience).

The world is upside down.

i'm getting McCain "suspending my campaign" vibes from all this. if Trump loses Iowa (and it's looking like he will, narrowly) the narrative is going to be "when Trump blinked" and i could see things going downhill from there.

but nothing yet has stopped the cray train so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nah son

SFKMDB3.jpg

East Lake

A couple points that I think favor him here. Not saying I know for sure how this will turn out, cause who really knows but a few things.

*He has a somewhat legitimate point about bias
*Most of his supporters probably accept the first point
*Negative attacks on Trump at the debate haven't yielded results
*Even when he's not there the debate will still be about Trump to some degree
*The news afterwards will be all Trump for the next few days
*Even if it's negative coverage afterward his supporters already distrust the media
*So far he has worked the media machine extremely well.

So who knows but I think it's not wrong by any stretch of the imagination to think this might work out.

Loakum

Banned
I hate the fact I actually agree with that fool Trump in this instance. Meygan Kelly is VERY biased against him. She devoted every show for the past six months trashing him. Of course he has the right to refuse to be apart of this debate hosted by an biased moderator! Look at what happened with the MSNBC debate, the RNC pulled all the rest of the debates from that news channel based on how biased the hosts was on that one occasion. It's the same thing, only it's Fox News. I'm NOT an Trump supporter, but Meygan Kelly is an biased blond baffoon.

Now watch how will have the higest ratings, Fox News debate without Trump, or the Trump rally for Wounded Warrior. Also, Trump will win Iowa, and New Hampshire, and most of the rest of the primary states. (obviously Trump is gonna win this conflict)

chadskin

Other campaigns reached out to Trump's, his manager claims:

Asked about Ted Cruz's call for a one-on-one debate before Monday's caucuses in Iowa, Lewandowski said the Texas senator's campaign was not the only one to reach out asking if they could participate in the Trump campaign's event for wounded warriors and veterans on Thursday night in Des Moines.

“Well, look, he’s not the only one. We’ve had calls from many debates, from many of the candidates now, to say look, why would we participate in the Fox debate as well? I think what you’re finding out, once again, you have the candidates reacting to the only true leader in this race, which is Donald Trump," Lewandowski claimed. "He leads, and all of a sudden everyone realizes that, hey, maybe it’s not the best idea to be involved in these debates, maybe we should leave as well. So I had a number of calls yesterday with some of the other campaigns who said hey, can we come and join you in raising money for the Wounded Warriors and the veterans, because, you know, Fox isn’t going to be fair to you, what makes them think they’re going to be fair to us?”
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/01/megyn-kelly-trump-obsessed-218273

Makai

@realDonaldTrump I refuse to call Megyn Kelly a bimbo, because that would not be politically correct. Instead I will only call her a lightweight reporter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom