• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump to Puerto Rico: Your hurricane isn’t a “real catastrophe” like Katrina

I mean they are white so maybe?

Puerto Rico was a part of Spain for 400 years before we got it right around 1900. Spaniards are white just like the majority of Americans.

Sure but there are many different colors in Puerto Rico. Not just white.

(Source: I am Puerto Rican)

darkwing

My mind is unable to accept that such a person has been elected POTUS, and that he is still in place despite his attitude, actions and inactions.

I am speechless when I read his tweets. I am saddened when I see that man destroying everything his predecessor built. I am baffled that there aren't massive protest demonstrations all over your country requesting for him to quit. I am appalled that he still has 30% favorable opinions or so.

How can this be reality? How?

probably apathy

Hermii

American natural disasters are so much bigger!

Puerto Rico cant even do natural disasters right.

USA! USA! USA!

iammeiam

Sounds like he's trying to say that he's proud of the fact they kept the death toll relatively low compared to Katrina instead of what article headline is. He's still saying it in his normal horrifically ineloquent fashion though.

My understanding is that over half of Puerto Rico still has no access to potable water. The vast majority are still without power. People have been unable to get in touch with people in the area. The crisis is still ongoing, and we do not have any sort of comprehensive and accurate count of deaths and likely will not for a while.

That is not a situation where you brag about a low body count, because realistically we don't know, and it's not over yet.

Trump chose to storm into that situation, pat himself on the back for keeping things from getting TOO bad (and, again, my current understanding is that conditions are still bad enough in general that there are areas still without aid), bitch about the cost, and then jump-shot paper towels at people. Yes, it's just because he's incapabale of talking about anything without puffing himself up, by that doesn't make it any less of a gigantic failure of leadership.

He made it about himself, because he's incapable of basic empathy. There's no way to spin either the words he picked or the meaning he was trying to convey as anything other than heartless and completely unworthy of the position of the President.

Maybe... hopefully... this is enough for ppl who voted Trump without thinking any better (not talking about the racists etc.) to go "Yeah maybe he wasn't such a good idea."

As others have said I never could imagine his presidency would be this bad. Every week it gets worse and worse. He really is a terrible human being and to anyone who voted for him a big FUCK YOU!

Maybe... hopefully... this is enough for ppl who voted Trump without thinking any better (not talking about the racists etc.) to go "Yeah maybe he wasn't such a good idea."

These people better pray or whatever they do to hope a natural disaster/any disaster doesn't happen to them or a loved one because this guy just doesn't give a fuck.

I was actually half expecting Trump to say something along these lines about the Vegas mass shooting. Like it was not record-setting, or something.

Then he didn't. I was relieved...for one day. And now this.

Brinbe

f8e6dd225db6446a8f689e77996c8da4-f8e6dd225db6446a8f689e77996c8da4-0.jpg

That form

gatling

I would literally want to power wash anything that man touched. He makes everything tacky and gross everywhere he goes.

RDreamer

I mean they are white so maybe?

Puerto Rico was a part of Spain for 400 years before we got it right around 1900. Spaniards are white just like the majority of Americans.

I'm not denying the history there, but I'm friends with and work with quite a few Puerto Ricans and literally none of them consider themselves white at all.

All good my friend.
How about that mofongo tho?
I'm not denying the history there, but I'm friends with and work with quite a few Puerto Ricans and literally none of them consider themselves white at all.
Ok well it’s certainly possible they are in the minority with Caribbean/African roots. I mean I know lots of black people in America and they make up less than 15% of the total population.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Disagree. The thread title (which, to be fair is also the article title) is something that Trump never said and a large chunk of the posters on Neogaf don't bother to read the actual articles. Getting people riled up about something Trump clearly did not say is not productive.

"What's your death count?"

I literally laughed out loud. Un-be-freaking-lieveable.

I mean, you can argue that point if you want, but the sentiment remains the same.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Have you seen a puerto rican in real life?

I lived in NYC for many years and have visited the island many times. The population is 75% white on the island and they are direct descendants of the original Spanish colonists who are/were white.

I'm Puerto Rican, both my parents were born and raised on the island. My Dad is Taino, so he's brown, meanwhile my mom is a red head with green eyes and pale skin and can pass for Irish.

This is the most callous thing I have ever heard from a leader of a country in the middle of a humanitarian crisis. Is this guy real? Is he waiting for mountains and mountains of corpses in the middle of the streets before he stops belittling the government of a territory of the United States?

I'm Puerto Rican, both my parents were born and raised on the island. My Dad is Taino, so he's brown, meanwhile my mom is a red head with green eyes and pale skin and can pass for Irish.
Yeah I mean the cultural imprint of the Taíno is evident. Especially in the cuisine.

Disagree. The thread title (which, to be fair is also the article title) is something that Trump never said and a large chunk of the posters on Neogaf don't bother to read the actual articles. Getting people riled up about something Trump clearly did not say is not productive.

It's just paraphrased. He did say "real catastrophe" in a comparison. That means the other one is not "real" in his opinion. That's how that phrasing is used.

Granted, Trump isn't very good at thinking or speaking, but this was crystal clear. He did say it, and meant it.

Game-Biz

Thank God I got in some decent anti-anxiety prescriptions this year. Get any C grade or above student from any random junior high school and you'll have a better president.

Fuck, man.

It's just paraphrased. He did say "real catastrophe" in a comparison. That means the other one is not "real" in his opinion. That's how that phrasing is used.

Granted, Trump isn't very good at thinking or speaking, but this was crystal clear. He did say it, and meant it.

Nope, no one on GAF actually watched the video or read the article. No one but Tatsumaki that is!

Top Bottom