• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump to Puerto Rico: Your hurricane isn’t a “real catastrophe” like Katrina

I'm Puerto Rican, both my parents were born and raised on the island. My Dad is Taino, so he's brown, meanwhile my mom is a red head with green eyes and pale skin and can pass for Irish.

I get that, my family runs the full color spectrum and hair texture as well, but I'm sure Donald Trump and his base aren't saying "these are our people down there in PR".

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
This asshole described a Cat 4/5 hurricane as "overbearing" like your mom when your friends come over and she keeps trying to feed all of you all night, continually asking if you need anything. Just incredible.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Sounds like he's trying to say that he's proud of the fact they kept the death toll relatively low compared to Katrina instead of what article headline is. He's still saying it in his normal horrifically ineloquent fashion though.
LITERALLY HIS JOB in situations such as these is to make people feel supported and give them hope. Instead he flies his fat lazy ass down there for a photo op and passive aggressively insults these people for burdening him with a catastrophe outside of their control. Be assured he’s seething over their debts and is viewing everything they’re enduring through that. He’s obsessed with it.
This is all so amazingly bad:

It's like someone completely fucked up the empathy programming on a robot.
Because he’s treating his visit as an exciting event for these people, not a duty of office.

Chumly

f8e6dd225db6446a8f689e77996c8da4-f8e6dd225db6446a8f689e77996c8da4-0.jpg

That form
Is this real? Is he literally tossing paper towels to the crowd?

Chumly

I've never seen a politician so tone-deaf.

And he's having a blast doing it!
Seriously. He flys in to fucking brag about how awesome his administration is. Tosses some paper towels to the crowd and leaves. I mean....

Didn't anyone in his administration think..... hey maybe we shouldn't treat this like a sporting event. I mean it's a national disaster

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
It is ridiculous that the bar is set so incredibly low for Trump that as long as he doesn't shit himself while in Puerto Rico it will be seen as a successful visit. I'm beyond embarrassed that the 'leader' of our country is held to such low standards now.

It's especially infuriating when you look at the incredibly ridiculous standards the GOP held Obama to.

Surfinn

Literally all you have to do is show up and pretend to care (to not fuck up). Instead he throws paper towels into the crowd? Is this the fucking onion?

Disagree. The thread title (which, to be fair is also the article title) is something that Trump never said and a large chunk of the posters on Neogaf don't bother to read the actual articles. Getting people riled up about something Trump clearly did not say is not productive.
Uh yes he did. Here is exactly what he said.
"Every death is a horror," Trump said, "but if you look at a real catastrophe like Katrina and you look at the tremendous -- hundreds and hundreds of people that died -- and you look at what happened here with, really, a storm that was just totally overpowering ...

Sixteen people versus in the thousands. You can be very proud of all of your people and all of our people working together. Sixteen versus literally thousands of people. You can be very proud. Everybody watching can really be very proud of what's taken place in Puerto Rico."

Can this whole mess get worse? Yes. Yes, it can:

Puerto Rico Gov. Ricardo Rosselló says the federal government has denied the U.S. territory's request for its citizens to redeem food stamps for ready-to-eat hot meals, amid widespread food shortages and power outages in the aftermath of Hurricane Maria.

The nearly 1.3 million people on food stamps in Puerto Rico — almost 40 percent of its population— are unable to use the benefits of the federal program to buy fasts food or pre-prepared meals at supermarkets, according to The New York Times.

Food-stamp recipients are usually prohibited from buying hot foods and other items that can be eaten “in store” such as sandwiches, soup or pizza.

Puerto Rico requested the administration temporarily lift the restrictions on the program, formally known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP).

So far, the administration has refused, even after granting similar waivers in Texas after Hurricane Harvey and in Florida after Hurricane Irma.

Racist fucks.

Mahonay

Banned
Disagree. The thread title (which, to be fair is also the article title) is something that Trump never said and a large chunk of the posters on Neogaf don't bother to read the actual articles. Getting people riled up about something Trump clearly did not say is not productive.
Awe poor Trump :(

Fuck that asshole. Trump deserves to be called out for every little thing he does.

Top Bottom