• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump tweeted out a video of him "beating up" CNN

Shaanyboi

Banned
Can someone please distract this fucker with a jingling set of keys or something before he says anything else stupid? I could use a break for a week...

Alienous

CNN statement:

FaJTgFm.jpg

"enourages violence against reporters" seems like quite the reach. It takes away from an otherwise sensible statement.

"enourages violence against reporters" seems like quite the reach. It takes away from an otherwise sensible statement.
The president tweeted a gif about him punching CNN. How is that not encouraging violence???

Trump better pray no follower of his ever attacks a CNN reporter after this tweet.

kevin1025

Banned

The president tweeted a gif about him punching CNN. How is that not encouraging violence???

Trump better pray no follower of his ever attacks a CNN reporter after this tweet.

Apparently it's a reach when describing the exact video we all are seeing with our own eyes.

Zolo

Yep. A better statement would have been how it's something Trump does every day he portrays media as the "enemy".

Alienous

No it isn't. He's been doing it for 2 years and this gif is an attempt to normalize that and make it funny.

It's him clotheslining a logo. "Trump vs. CNN".

To extrapolate the suggestion of violence on reporters from that seems ridiculous to me. Anyone who would decide to attack a reporter based on that .gif would be solely at fault. That's a deranged intepretation that could be warped from anything innocuous.

Sephzilla

To extrapolate the suggestion of violence on reporters from that seems ridiculous to me. Anyone who would decide to attack a reporter based on that .gif would be solely at fault. That's a deranged intepretation that could be warped from anything innocuous.
You do need to realize this isn't the first time Trump has suggested violence against someone, right?

Hopfrog

You do need to realize this isn't the first time Trump has suggested violence against someone, right?

It is like everyone has amnesia all of a sudden. This is part of a pattern of rhetoric. Anyone not focusing on that is simply playing into Trump and his supporter's hands by giving him the benefit of the doubt that he is just "joking".

Alienous

Did he do that with a wrestling .gif too? Otherwise I'm not seeing the relevance - I'm not saying Trump hasn't ever suggested violence against someone, I'm saying that intepreting a cartoonish tweet as the suggestion of violence seems ridiculous.

It is like everyone has amnesia all of a sudden. This is part of a pattern of rhetoric. Anyone not focusing on that is simply playing into Trump and his supporter's hands by giving him the benefit of the doubt that he is just "joking".
Ok. Sure.
Just stop please. Let it be what it is.

“I will tell you this, Russia: If you’re listening, I hope you’re able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing,” - Surprise.

[GIF image of escalating violence against media surging on a non-stop torrent of calling out the media.] - ... surprise incoming.

He knows what the fuck he is doing.

Ok.

kevin1025

Banned

He is doing a physical act on CNN. He is promoting violence by being violent in the clip. That's what is being done.

Did he do that with a wrestling .gif too? Otherwise I'm not seeing the relevance - I'm not saying Trump hasn't ever suggested violence against someone, I'm saying that intepreting a cartoonish tweet as the suggestion of violence seems ridiculous.
THIS IS THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES

This isn't okay

Chumley

Banned

You have no idea what you're talking about.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
CNN couldn't wish for a better situation. Think of the ratings.

rjinaz

CNN couldn't wish for a better situation. Think of the ratings.

Well, you're not wrong. Yes Trump supporters will have their laugh at their expense, but CNN will have the last laugh as their numbers continue to go up. And really, CNN is shit lately in my mind so I'm not exactly celebrating.

But yeah, if anybody thinks CNN has their feeling hurt, that's not true. They probably toasted at this. But, that doesn't change the fact that Donald Trump is an embarrassment.

Alienous

I don't see how that's a reponse to what I've said, but I'll try to make sense of your point.

Trump, and unintelligent man who has made clear suggestions of violence in the past now has decided to use wrestling .gifs to convey that suggestion to his followers?

I'd present an alternative - Trump, being the stupid person that he is, saw a .gif that represented him defeating CNN (the organization) and decided to tweet it out.

He is doing a physical act on CNN. He is promoting violence by being violent in the clip. That's what is being done.

"Promoting violence". This is a wrestling .gif. This isn't a .gif of a plane dropping bombs onto a building labeled 'CNN'. It isn't superimposing the face of any journalist into the .gif.

It seems, clear as day, meant to represent 'Trump thrashing CNN (the organization)', not 'tackle a reporter and bash their skull in'.

"Promoting violence". This is a wrestling .gif. This isn't a .gif of a plane dropping bombs onto a building labeled with 'CNN'. It isn't superimposing the face of any journalist into the .gif.
If you're at the point where you're trying to determine what severity of violent acts do or do not constitute encouragement, maybe you don't really have a good argument.

kevin1025

Banned
I don't see how that's a reponse to what I've said, but I'll try to make sense of your point.

Trump, and unintelligent man who has made clear suggestions of violence in the past now has decided to use wrestling .gifs to convey that suggestion to his followers?

I'd present an alternative - Trump, being the stupid person that he is, saw a .gif that represented him defeating CNN (the organization) and decided to tweet it out.

"Promoting violence". This is a wrestling .gif. This isn't a .gif of a plane dropping bombs onto a building labeled with 'CNN'. It isn't superimposing the face of any journalist into the .gif.

It seems, clear as day, meant to represent 'Trump thrashing CNN', not 'tackle a reporter and bash their skull in'.

Who works at CNN? People. CNN isn't an entity that floats around and is sentient. It's run by human beings. So he is thrashing the people of CNN.

Clear as day.

Alienous

If you're at the point where you're trying to determine degrees of violent acts that do or do not constitute encouragement, maybe you don't really have a good argument.

No, not degrees of violent acts - indications of a suggestion. The examples I give would be "blow up this building" and "attack this person".

But the .gif is just "watch me, Trump, beating up CNN".

No degrees of violent acts. Indication of a suggestion. The examples I give would be "blow up this building" and "attack this person".

But the .gif is just "watch me, Trump, beating up CNN".
Do you think you can say with confidence that of all his millions of supporters, absolutely none of them will ever feel like it's okay to show similar aggression towards people who work at CNN?

Top Bottom