• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump tweeted out a video of him "beating up" CNN

Don't think I agree with the thought that it's inciting violence.

However, it is incredibly strange and further highlights the worrying relationship he has with the media....

The more outraged we become the more appeased his base becomes.

Republicans before Trump have been pushing that anti-media narrative for years. Nobody ever got outraged about it, and now look where we are. The GOP primed people to the point where Trump's rhetoric against the press is just a step beyond what came before. Ignoring that is going to make things worse in the future the way ignoring previous Republicans made things worse now.

Fuck what his base thinks. Literally everything the left does gets those dumb pieces of shit riled up. If people said nothing, Trump supporters would have just said things like, "The left is so scared that they don't know what to say," or "They're not talking about this because they don't want to admit the president is right," and they still would have been energized because they are motivated primarily out of spite.

What's more important is that everyone else doesn't accept this as standard behavior for a president.

I'm not sure what's more ridiculous, Trump actually tweeting this out or CNN trying to pretend it's a violent threat against them and their employees.

It’s not like CNN is expecting Donald Trump himself to drive down to Atlanta and start personally bodyslamming anchors, but rather that this is the message he’s repeatedly trying to send towards his base. That the media are the “others”, they’re against “us”, and that they should be shown “their place”.

Donald Trump has a massive influence over a sizable portion of the American populace and this is how he chooses his messaging. Every time he does this it becomes less of a joke. Even if Donald Trump deep down truly means no harm towards the media, he’s at best being extraordinary careless tweeting out shit like this.

Greg Gianforte -- an actual Republican congressman -- bodyslammed a reporter just weeks ago, and people are out here saying "I don't think this incites violence."

Just, really uninterested in hearing that shit.

Y'all getting played again with the outrage at this.

This isn't anything new, he's been advocating this bullshit since the primary.

His one and only skill is to create controversy that will galvanise his base once the outrage over his next edgy tweet gets coverage.

And like fucking clock work y'all get played like bitches.

He'd rather have you looking at his tweets than talking policy. Seriously.
Who gives a shit about his base.

They will vote for him even if he repeals Obama care.

They will vote for him even if he makes the rich richer.

They will vote for him even if he has a sexual scandal.

They would vote for him again even if the Russian collusion is true.

They would vote for him even if he launched a nuke.

So who gives a shit about these people?

Greg Gianforte -- an actual Republican congressman -- bodyslammed a reporter just weeks ago, and people are out here saying "I don't think this incites violence."

Just, really uninterested in hearing that shit.

The reporter made an article how Greg is connected to Russia which is why I'm guessing Greg bodyslammed him.

"The reporter made an article how Greg is connected to Russia which is why I'm guessing Greg bodyslammed him."

Oh, that changes everything then.

Wait--No, no it doesn't.

Yep. They only care about their platform winning- not what their platform actually stands for.

Why are Hillary die hards still making hypothetical and non nonsensical assumptions about Bernliebers?

Well, Obama should have done it. It would had been fanastic and hilarious.

No one is here for distant, non engaging politicians anymore.

First off, nothing was nonsensical about the accusation. There was a clear pattern to 'Bernie or busters' when it came to their hot takes on Trump. Not everyone, but enough to present a clear pattern.

Obama doesn't resort to cheap, lame shit like that wrestling meme. It would be weird if he did something like that as it would be out of character. He doesn't express himself so cheaply. He has character, unlike Trump who is a character. Not all of our elected officials are ridiculous TV personalities. Is that how you perceive our politics? Like pro wrestling?

Lastly, we expect decent people to lead the country. It's a pretty reasonable standard. If your standards are different, well therein lies the problem. One thing that we are not lacking in is entertainment options, if you are resorting to perceiving politics as a sport.

Exactly. It should be understood by everyone that Trump's base, like Trump, is amoral. Would you expect a cult member to question what their leader says or does and act accordingly? It takes personal abuse by the cult leader to even begin to open that door.

What's more important is that everyone else doesn't accept this as standard behavior for a president.

No one else does though. The only people that think it's ok are the base. No one is on the other side of this issue. So we're just pissing in the wind until mid terms and the next election.

It's not acceptable standard behaviour for a candidate either. Or a human being yet here we are. Being consumed by it, feeding his base. Until the next cycle where he says something equally absurd. Then we reset lay out the standard issue condemnation, signal boost it. And on on.

It's so totally meaningless we knew this was how it was gonna be. He's just reiterating his bullshit.

A real president would care about all Americans instead of calling the opposing group "deplorables" or telling his followers to beat them up

Yes, Hillary herself contributed to the current situation of a severely Divided States of America. Trump was just the worse of two bad choices in this regard.

chadskin

Here's another meme from the guy Trump tweeted, this one showing CNN personalities with Jewish stars.
DDwkYXrW0AEH6Nz.jpg

https://twitter.com/jysexton/status/881619803080986626

Yeah, real funny that Trump's actively attacking the press and doing his best to discredit the media. Fucking hilarious how a guy who watches Infowars and has enough connections with the National Enquirer to basically make him a chief editor is blackmailing and posting memes about him destroying actual news organizations. Just can't stop typing LOL and spamming laugh/crying emojis as Trump wages a twitter war with the media while ignoring National Pride Month and the frightening amount of shootings that have happened in the recent weeks.

Fuck you if you think this is funny. Our personal information is being given away to justify a lie and our healthcare is being stripped away by a President posting wrestling memes.

Fucking thank you.

rjinaz

A real president would care about all Americans instead of calling the opposing group "deplorables" or telling his followers to beat them up.

Yes, Hillary herself contributed to the current situation of a severely Divided States of America.

No, she didn't. Especially considering they owned that and if anything it worked against her. Hillary had nothing to do with the bipartisanship of this country other than playing the role of an easy target for Republicans to attack for the last decade.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Y'all getting played again with the outrage at this.

This isn't anything new, he's been advocating this bullshit since the primary.

His one and only skill is to create controversy that will galvanise his base once the outrage over his next edgy tweet gets coverage.

And like fucking clock work y'all get played like bitches.

He'd rather have you looking at his tweets than talking policy. Seriously.

stunning analysis there.

*looks at every single poll of everything that relates to trump including the senators losing 30+ points if they admit to backing trump'care'*

oh hang on. His base is diminishing and people hate him.

I think people are sort of getting distorted on timelines here. he's been in what.... 5 or six months? he's so incompetent the entire public 1st world hates him outright, Congress is actively reducing his power, there's a fucking kickass FBI guy right up his ass just plodding along and doing his job, the rest of the world is slowly moving away from relying on the US (and publicly stating that). Almost all news outlets are freaking out about him, he's not getting anything of substance done, he's a running joke and people know he 'doesn't understand things.

etc etc

nobody is getting played, it's just that when America got played and elected this cunt to the highest office in the land, reversing that shit out takes time and evidence etc. He's going to have to be publically mentally unstable for a good wee while before he's out.

A real president would care about all Americans instead of calling the opposing group "deplorables" or telling his followers to beat them up

Yes, Hillary herself contributed to the current situation of a severely Divided States of America. Trump was just the worse of two bad choices in this regard.

this kind of bullshit is why you are in this mess America. Comparing trump and clinton as even in the same ballpark was the mistake. She was a Politician. He's a reality TV star with a rich dad. Unfortunately years of talking Politics on the internet made everyone assume it's super easy for some reason.

7Th

I'm not sure what's more ridiculous, Trump actually tweeting this out or CNN trying to pretend it's a violent threat against them and their employees.

The most ridiculous are the people that don't take this as a sign that Trump is a deranged, dangerous man that needs to get psychiatric care.

To make this even worse: the video feed is backwards. That means that most likely this was made with Wrestlemania footage obtained through illicit means.

The extra slo-mo replays of the CNN beatdown make the video more disturbing than funny, IMO.

And the people in this thread who are normalizing the video are basically justifying Trump's "Modern Presidential" behavior. The video would be okay if it was posted by some random twitter user. But your mind has to be completely warped if you think this is okay for the President of the United States to do. A guy who has access to nuclear codes and send soldiers off to war. Heck, most CEOs of fortune 500 companies would get fired for posting tweets like that.

That said, I'm guessing the WH Staff convinced Trump to shift his Twitter Tirade away from Morning Joe/Mika and toward CNN. Blatant misogynistic tweets can actually lose votes among some of his core supporters and it makes it difficult for the few women in his administration to publicly defend. But they have no qualms with attacking and delegitimizing the free press. Heck, that's part of the Republican platform. If Republicans had their way, they would just have one state-controlled media outlet.

I'm inclined to think that the president trashing trashing almost every news organization as well as posting a meme of him wrestling one of them will cause people to like him less but we are through the looking glass now

EDIT:
Don't think I agree with the thought that it's inciting violence.

However, it is incredibly strange and further highlights the worrying relationship he has with the media....

It's not going to incite violence like singling out specific protestors at a rally, but it is absolutely childish, disrespectful, and un-presidential. Its all the more disturbing that one of Trump's missions is to single-handedly mock every news outlet who reports truthfully on him and to discredit them in the eyes of supporters.

When you witness a large group of Americans betraying American values for a long enough period of time, you start to get comfortable calling a spade a spade. There is nothing wrong with that. That does not mean that she would not care about them if she was President. Nothing in her character indicates that, at all.

Mask

He got that the wrong way around, should be a world globe on something beating the fuck out of Trump. He's nothing more than a laughing stock, and the whole world knows it.

I still say some are way overreacting to this. If he had combined the content of the tweet with a more direct call for violence outside of this silly video, which is fake violence.. again, fake, not real, then I could perhaps see these types of reactions, but I don't see this as that big a deal to be honest. That said, I hope it damages his presidency beyond repair, and it somehow forces him out of office, but if we're keeping it real, I think we all know this is a whole lot of nothing.

I understand the "he's the President of the United States" stuff also, but it doesn't mean he has to walk around like he's got a stick up his ass either. He can have fun or be an ass like anyone else. Him calling the press the enemy of the people is many times worse and more alarming than this is. I understand it's important to maintain the dignity of the office and all that, but let's be serious for a moment; This is Donald fucking Trump. He probably isn't fit to be sitting down on the white house toilet, much less being the President of the United States. He's not going to change. There's plenty to be outraged about relating to Trump. I think this is just fodder for some discussion about the message it sends with relation to past irresponsible statements, but this isn't the horrific thing people are making out to appear. Is it still possible some dumbass somewhere out there will see this as a call to go hurt a CNN reporter? Very likely, yes, but that doesn't strike me as the intent of this particular tweet. We know how bitter the jackass is, and that he can't stand CNN, and he's frustrated with them in any number of ways that are well documented. And so, as a way to showcase that frustration, he decided to utilize something from his past in, honestly pretty funny fashion, to get the point across. It changes nothing about how much of an idiot he is, and how dangerous he is for the country, but this isn't the hill to die on folks.

Top Bottom