• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turkish General Election 2015 Round 2: Eurasian Boogaloo. Sunday November 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gintamen

Is David Cameron a dictator then when he did the same with the Guardian (and more recently with a BBC journalist)?
Come on, he is an entirely different beast compared to Cameron. I doubt you are obtuse to that fact.

Did we already forgot how parts pf the military felt forced to act and plan against Erdogan a couple years ago?

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Come on, he is an entirely different beast compared to Cameron. I doubt you are obtuse to that fact.

Did we already forgot how parts pf the military felt forced to act and plan against Erdogan a couple years ago?

yeah........Turkish Military coups don't exactly help your point.

Gintamen

A lot of us were born outside and love Turkey a lot.
Yeah, since you don't have to spend the entire year there, just visiting uncles/aunts, the beaches and places your grand-/parents come from. I know, I've spend my life growing up with kurds/turks doing exactly that.

A lot of us were born outside and love Turkey a lot. It's nothing to do with politics.
Nice edit. Sure, economy has nothing to do with politics. :>

yeah........Turkish Military coups don't exactly help your point.
They actually do. Those killed during these times were still a horrible loss, that much should be obvious.

Yeah, since you don't have to spend the entire year there, just visiting uncles/aunts, the beaches and places your grand-/parents come from. I know, I've spend my life growing up with kurds/turks doing exactly that.
We don't only go to the beach...though we have a Summer house luckily enough.

We go to the cool places local Turks frequent in the cities, we have and make local friends etc. Sometimes go to our ancestors' villages/towns. It's nice for us, we pretend we're living a Turkish life for a little while, Turkish social life, having some local beers at a cool cafe etc. which we otherwise only live vicariously through Turkish TV shows. The beach is the thing I'm least interested in when I go there tbh.

It's hard to explain and will make Europeans cry about "non-integration" but I only truly feel at home when I'm in Turkey. Many fellow British born Turks agree with me on this feeling. We like the UK and I get angry at Islamists that criticise it, but Turkey is where our heart is.

If the politics weren't a mess I'd consider moving there. Hell I still might consider it to at least a place like Izmir. Probably could earn a decent wage with bilinguism and British qualifications and experience. But that's another thing. It's way easier to make the big bucks in Europe than it is in Turkey!
Nice edit. Sure, economy has nothing to do with politics. :>
A lot of our ancestors came here because Europeans wanted us, there were programmes in place in the 60s/70s between Germany, Britain etc. and Mediterranean countries.

It's not comparable to all the modern day economic migrants from Eastern Europe, South Asia, Middle East etc. who are bruteforcing their way in.

Gintamen

It's not comparable to all the modern day economic migrants from Eastern Europe, South Asia, Middle East etc. who are bruteforcing their way in.
Never implied otherwise, didn't argue about those at all tbh. Dual passes are a problem Imo, wish thwy wouldn't let people who have little to no real substantial connection, aside from relatives and a summer house, vote.

Gintamen

A lot of us were born outside and love Turkey a lot. It's nothing to do with politics.

We don't ..., but Turkey is where our heart is.

If the politics weren't a mess I'd consider moving there.
The bolded part: ...

The rest: How about you speak for yourself instead? I don't like the usage of we when there is number and names attached to it.

What a day to let me have a conflicting situation with an Amano loving person. :/

double post, fml

The bolded part: ...

The rest: How about you speak for yourself instead? I don't like the usage of we when there is number and names attached to it.

What a day to let me have a conflicting situation with an Amano loving person. :/

double post, fml

Haha, that explains why politics, religion etc. are not for polite discussion :). It's like in Turkey. I have some family and friends who support AKP (most don't), and as long as we aren't talking politics we get along perfectly! In the case of NeoGAF we can all unite in our hate against Konami lol.

You have spotted my cognitive dissonance regarding the bolded part! My excuse would be that I'm referring to us Turks who were born here and are descendants of guest-workers, we aren't here because of our families escaping shitty politicians or anything. Although shitty politicians is the reason that holds me from going back. So I guess you're right.

Never implied otherwise, didn't argue about those at all tbh. Dual passes are a problem Imo, wish thwy wouldn't let people who have little to no real substantial connection, aside from relatives and a summer house, vote.

You reckon? I mean my Mum was born and grew up in Turkey, my Dad was born in Turkey but grew up in UK. So surely for me the connection is still very real. Plus all 4 of my grandparents were village born.

I'd understand your point for people who are like 5 or 6 generations in. For example the droves of "Italian" and "Irish" Americans who have no connection with their homelands. For me it's very different. If you count up all my holidays to Turkey since I was born, it is cumulatively between 1 and 2 years of my life spent there.

Pro-Erdogan poster eh, welcome to my ignore list. I don't argue with people who support a theiving and murdering dictator, there is no reasonable discussion to be had with such.

Nope, I didn't vote on him but credit where credit's due. I'm merely calling you out on your anti-AKP bullshit.

Arksy

As long as he isn't able to change the constitution I still have hope that nothing excessively bad will happen.

I'm ethnically Turkish, but I consider myself Australian in every sense of the word. I rarely go to Turkey, but every time I do go to Turkey I'm shocked by just how much it has progressed. It's developed so quickly and talking to the people there it's obvious to see that their quality of life has dramatically improved.

As long as he isn't able to change the constitution I still have hope that nothing excessively bad will happen.

I'm ethnically Turkish, but I consider myself Australian in every sense of the word. I rarely go to Turkey, but every time I do go to Turkey I'm shocked by just how much it has progressed. It's developed so quickly and talking to the people there it's obvious to see that their quality of life has dramatically improved.

It's the thing that confuses everything. Turkey has improved massively economically, culturally and socially etc. during AKP's reign. But civil liberties (AKA speaking against govt), while they improved at first, got fucked up especially since Gezi Park.

saelz8

I was impressed as well, last time I was there in 2011. (Bolu). That's not the largest city around, more akin to a Austin / Houston if you want to make the comparison between US cities, and the amount of development was crazy. Roads, resorts, parks, tunnels, everything. I couldn't believe it. They also had Electronics arrive as we got them here, for the most part. I remember there was always massive amounts of lag, as far as availability of goods went growing up in Germany and then the US, compared to Turkey, but now it seems more on par. When I was a kid, my cousins thought my Gameboy was some Alien Technology of Amazing.

Parts of the development were also sad, as I discovered they were building a new road around my moms birth village, taking a huge chunk out of the cliff-face behind it. I used to go up there with my cousins and my grandmas cows as a kid to let them graze, but that's no longer possible. It's no longer possible not only because of that geographic change, but also the economic as all my family has moved into the city. I literally saw my family in Turkey go from country-farm based to Urban/City based within one generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom