• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

An-Det

I finished Season 1 of The Wire. It was a bit rough at first, trying to keep up with all of the characters but once I got the hang of it all I really got into it and it blazed by. I've already started Season 2, one episode in so far. Man the show is good.

Davey Cakes

Just started Six Feet Under Season 3.

I gotta say, well played with the cliffhanger from Season 2. Maybe I'm dumb, but I didn't actually know where they were going with that.

Just started the shield. At first I thought the tone was a little to light for a cop show. Breaking Bad is my number 1 right now and The wire is number 2. Not sure if itll come anywhere near those, but damn, ending of the first episode got me hooked...

Window

Been watching The Larry Sanders Show over the past couple of months and just finished watching the finale. I've officially entered that "I don't know what to do with my life anymore" phase one gets after finishing a show. But really what an amazing show. I think the ending of one of the episodes where Larry is watching his show at night in his bedroom, turns the tv off looks around the empty and quite room then turns it on again is something which is going to stay with me for a while (along with that finale). Also when it happens, I think I may miss Letterman after his retirement more than I thought.

Just started the shield. At first I thought the tone was a little to light for a cop show. Breaking Bad is my number 1 right now and The wire is number 2. Not sure if itll come anywhere near those, but damn, ending of the first episode got me hooked...

Yea shield is not light at all keep watching lol

Grinchy

Banned
I've watched the first 4 episodes of The Newsroom. I am not gushing over it or anything, but it's good. There are some corny moments and some events seem outlandish, but Jeff Daniels is awesome. There are also some very clever and deeply funny moments.

TripOpt55

They added The Vampire Diaries Season 3 to Netflix, so I will be back to working on that tonight after football! Pretty excited to see the second half of the season. They skipped some episodes when I was catching up with the summer repeats and had to stop.

TCRS

Banned
Today is one of those days where I just sit home and watch stuff. Too sick to go out or anything.

Anyways, finished Breaking Bad Season 4.
fucking Walt, what an asshole.

Now I'll continue with Top Gear season 2, and after that The Thick of It (probably).

BeeDog

The Shield is one hell of a dark show, keep watching. The best thing about the show is also that it only gets better as it goes on unlike many other shows.

Ledsen

Hey guys! I need new TV shows to watch. Have there been any good ones the past 2-3 years? If not, I'm open to suggestions from any decade. No super-nerdy stuff like Star Trek, I usually watch with the gf and she has a limit.

Some shows I like so you'll get a better idea of my tastes (a few keywords, even though I'm open for anything: sci-fi, mystery, history, non-corny fantasy, style). I'll put comedy at the bottom in a separate list.

Game of Thrones - great adaptation
The Borgias - amazing acting and gorgeous costumes/sets
Rome - same as above... except not really amazing acting
Band of Brothers - everyone likes this
Downton Abbey - I usually don't like British historical dramas that much, but this is top of the line
Mad Men - so stylish, so dramatic, such good characters
Boardwalk empire - sort of like the above
The Wire - brilliant
True Blood - season 1 and 5 are great, rest are shit
Buffy - was obsessed with this as a teenager, don't know if it holds up
Lost - one of my favorites, love the sense of mystery
Battlestar Galactica - best sci-fi in years
Firefly - Joss Whedons best work

Comedy
Arrested Development - funniest show ever made indeed
South Park - number 2, at least until season 8 or so
The Office UK - the original and best
Extras - more Gervais, yes please
Entourage - indulgence
Seinfeld - classic
Simpsons - classic

Some shows I don't like: "Case/monster/thing of the week" type shows, Prison Break, Fringe, How I Met Your Mother, Dexter (except season 1), Family Guy, Futurama, Big Bang Theory, The 4400, Heroes, Farscape, Community, 30 Rock (didn't watch many episodes though), Californication (except season 1 and maybe 2)

I'll get it out of the way before everybody else does: Breaking Bad. I don't care if it doesn't 'click' with you immediately, you clearly have very good taste in television, so you will end up liking it within a few episodes. Many in this thread have raved about it. Go go go.

Ledsen

I'll get it out of the way before everybody else does: Breaking Bad. I don't care if it doesn't 'click' with you immediately, you clearly have very good taste in television, so you will end up liking it within a few episodes. Many in this thread have raved about it. Go go go.

Well that's very nice of you to say. I have in fact been wanting to watch Breaking Bad for quite a while now, but the gf is turned off by the depressing premise. Will continue trying until she breaks :)

Well that's very nice of you to say. I have in fact been wanting to watch Breaking Bad for quite a while now, but the gf is turned off by the depressing premise. Will continue trying until she breaks :)

It's as funny and badass as it is depressing. It's not done in a particularly gritty or fully realistic way like, say, The Wire, so she should be fine. Other notables missing from your list are The Shield, Six Feet Under and Deadwood. I'd also recommend the British shows Luther (stars Stringer Bell from The Wire) and Sherlock. Both fantastic and less than 10 episodes each, so you can get through them very quickly.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Hey guys! I need new TV shows to watch. Have there been any good ones the past 2-3 years? If not, I'm open to suggestions from any decade. No super-nerdy stuff like Star Trek, I usually watch with the gf and she has a limit.

Some shows I like so you'll get a better idea of my tastes (a few keywords, even though I'm open for anything: sci-fi, mystery, history, non-corny fantasy, style). I'll put comedy at the bottom in a separate list.

I would suggest:

Party Down
Homeland
Angel (if you like Buffy)
Archer (animated)
The Pacific (if you liked Band of Brothers)
John Adams
Spartacus (first few episodes are SHIT though)
Justified
Louie
Strike Back (kickass action)
Deadwood

Also, The Shield and Six Feet Under, though I haven't seen either of those yet. Also, The Sopranos.

The Shield is one hell of a dark show, keep watching. The best thing about the show is also that it only gets better as it goes on unlike many other shows.

I guess I meant light in terms of cinematography and some of the dialogue. Wasn't getting a gritty cop show vibe, until the second episode. I just hold the wire as an exampel to all other cop shows, but I am on episode 4 now of the shield and I am pretty hooked.

Vossler

Today is one of those days where I just sit home and watch stuff. Too sick to go out or anything.

Anyways, finished Breaking Bad Season 4.
fucking Walt, what an asshole.

Now I'll continue with Top Gear season 2, and after that The Thick of It (probably).

The Thick of It is an awesome show my friend.

TheDanger

Banned
They added The Vampire Diaries Season 3 to Netflix, so I will be back to working on that tonight after football! Pretty excited to see the second half of the season. They skipped some episodes when I was catching up with the summer repeats and had to stop.

You sir are in for a treat, season 4 airs on October 11 if you want to catch up.

TripOpt55

I am still rewatching Fringe before the new season starts. I am 8 into Season 4 now. I have some work to do before next week.

I also picked up Suburgatory on DVD to catch up on it. I enjoyed some of the reruns over the summer and decided to grab the DVD. Only just watched the pilot though.

You sir are in for a treat, season 4 airs on October 11 if you want to catch up.

Oh I will be caught up. I have six more episodes. Will probably watch them over the next week. This show is so awesome!

I'm a season and a half into Fringe and holy crap. This is the biggest example of wasted potential I can think of. I don't understand how you create an universe as interesting as this and then proceed to do absolutely fuck all with it. I'm told that season 3 is the awesome one. I hope that means an end to the repeating pattern of the show setting up something interesting and then following that up with "Hey look, a person who died in a funky manner, let's go look at that instead!"

big ander

I'm a season and a half into Fringe and holy crap. This is the biggest example of wasted potential I can think of. I don't understand how you create an universe as interesting as this and then proceed to do absolutely fuck all with it. I'm told that season 3 is the awesome one. I hope that means an end to the repeating pattern of the show setting up something interesting and then following that up with "Hey look, a person who died in a funky manner, let's go look at that instead!"

Hm this doesn't make much sense to me. It's not wasted potential. It's delayed potential. If you're in the middle of season 2, then you've definitely been building towards bigger stuff (and there's a run of episodes from like the last third of season 2 through half of season 3 that's pretty much all "mythology" stuff), but it hasn't been eliminated. Wasted potential would be if they ignored possible places to go. They don't. It can just take a while to get there. That's the nature of procedural/serial combinations.

Hm this doesn't make much sense to me. It's not wasted potential. It's delayed potential. If you're in the middle of season 2, then you've definitely been building towards bigger stuff (and there's a run of episodes from like the last third of season 2 through half of season 3 that's pretty much all "mythology" stuff), but it hasn't been eliminated. Wasted potential would be if they ignored possible places to go. They don't. It can just take a while to get there. That's the nature of procedural/serial combinations.

If it takes them 3 seasons to start doing anything with the premise, I find the bolded kind of impossible. At their pace, wouldn't they need like, 83 seasons to take full advantage of what the universe allows?

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I'll just highlight some that Ratsky already mentioned.

I would suggest:

Party Down
Homeland
Angel (if you like Buffy)
Archer (animated)
The Pacific (if you liked Band of Brothers)
John Adams
Spartacus (first few episodes are SHIT though)
Justified
Louie
Strike Back (kickass action)
Deadwood

big ander

If it takes them 3 seasons to start doing anything with the premise, I find the bolded kind of impossible. At their pace, wouldn't they need like, 83 seasons to take full advantage of what the universe allows?

I didn't say it takes them 3 seasons to do anything with the premise, just that you get it in bursts.
And you say they've done nothing with the premise of "a scientist, former con-man, and scientist investigate seemingly organized scientific anomalies" where you're at? So nothing includes
a possibly inhuman group of powerful beings observing humanity, a drug that heightens perception in unforeseen ways when given to children, and fundamental changes in the possibilities of science occurring in locations radiating outwards from gateways between universes
? Because that does not at all sound like nothing to me.

I didn't say it takes them 3 seasons to do anything with the premise, just that you get it in bursts.
And you say they've done nothing with the premise of "a scientist, former con-man, and scientist investigate seemingly organized scientific anomalies" where you're at? So nothing includes
a possibly inhuman group of powerful beings observing humanity, a drug that heightens perception in unforeseen ways when given to children, and fundamental changes in the possibilities of science occurring in locations radiating outwards from gateways between universes
? Because that does not at all sound like nothing to me.

Bad wording on my part. When I whine about the wasted potential of the premise, I specifically mean the
alternate universe
part. You could use the spoilered to create an interesting main storyline and also use it for great monster of the week episodes. That thing where
A building was about to be erased to restore the balance
was great. Instead they show me that this hole of endless potential exists in this world but let's ignore it and instead we're going to investigate this dude who died because of science. In the next episode there's a girl who died because of some different science. The show allows for some much better storylines than the supernatural CSI that most of the episodes end up being.

(All the while I'm waiting for a scene where
Alter-Walter gets to yell at Walter for stealing his son
)

big ander

Bad wording on my part. When I whine about the wasted potential of the premise, I specifically mean the
alternate universe
part. You could use the spoilered to create an interesting main storyline and also use it for great monster of the week episodes. That thing where
A building was about to be erased to restore the balance
was great. Instead they show me that this hole of endless potential exists in this world but let's ignore it and instead we're going to investigate this dude who died because of science. In the next episode there's a girl who died because of some different science. The show allows for some much better storylines than the supernatural CSI that most of the episodes end up being.

(All the while I'm waiting for a scene where
Alter-Walter gets to yell at Walter for stealing his son
)
Oh so you're through Jacksonville? Because that's the start of the show's killer run. The stakes will soon be what it seems like you want them to be, that's all I'll say.

As for the fact that they have these standalone episodes at all: I get not liking that, but you should understand that it's not unique to Fringe. It's an element of every procedural/serial TV show, by definition. After shows like Twin Peaks failed partially due to their seriality and then shows like X-Files revived sci-fi TV, people realized that this mode of storytelling (overarching plot with a lot of anthology episodes interspersed) was the most successful. So it's a necessary facet of the genre.

I'll also say that I don't think that necessary facet is a necessary evil. Your breakdown of it is pretty reductive, and for some episodes that's appropriate. Some episodes really are nothing more than a murder investigation. Others are excellent. There's an episode you're coming up on called White Tulip that is technically completely separate from the rest of the show, but is also often hailed as one of the best of the show. You saw Snakehead and Midnight and Unleashed, standalone episodes that are pretty gruesomely great I think. There's value in those episodes. They're brief and ultimately inconsequential to the ongoing plot, but they can be a hell of a lot of fun and especially dark.

I'll also say that I don't think that necessary facet is a necessary evil. Your breakdown of it is pretty reductive, and for some episodes that's appropriate. Some episodes really are nothing more than a murder investigation. Others are excellent. There's an episode you're coming up on called White Tulip that is technically completely separate from the rest of the show, but is also often hailed as one of the best of the show. You saw Snakehead and Midnight and Unleashed, standalone episodes that are pretty gruesomely great I think. There's value in those episodes. They're brief and ultimately inconsequential to the ongoing plot, but they can be a hell of a lot of fun and especially dark.

My problem isn't with the concept of a monster of the week episode. I get why you do those. My problem with Fringe is that the standalone episodes should be way better than they actually are. I had no problem with the
mind controlling kid
for example. I just want the show to do things with the sci-fi that are beyond killing someone in an unnatural manner at the start of the episode. For every one standalone episode that does that, there are five that don't.

TheDanger

Banned
Oh I will be caught up. I have six more episodes. Will probably watch them over the next week. This show is so awesome!

Great, this show still amazes me, it's the ultimate sleeper hit (for guys at least) because of the unfortunate title choice.

Joseph Morgan is probably one of the best tv show actors I have ever seen.

I could watch this scene over and over again, warning episode 20 spoiler:

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
zaE38.jpg

I recently finished watching Rome. I liked the series, overall, but thought it mostly dull and meandering. I didn't particularly like Verenus or Pullo, because they were like the Forest Gumps of the series. They were everywhere, did everything, and managed to have almost all go well for them.

I did like the character interactions the most, but it was such a slow pace from start to end, that I can't say I absolutely loved the show.

-Stranger-

Trying to catch up on Boardwalk Empire season 2, currently up to episode 4 and it's been great.

Also just started Treme S2, the first episode was excellent.

Also watching:

Deadwood S2 (up to the finale)
Veronica Mars S2
Twin Peaks S2

Decado

Hey guys! I need new TV shows to watch. Have there been any good ones the past 2-3 years?

If you like The Borgias I'd say The Tudors is a good bet. Same production studio, I believe, and it is generally considered better than The Borgias.

alphaNoid

Banned
I finished Season 1 of The Wire. It was a bit rough at first, trying to keep up with all of the characters but once I got the hang of it all I really got into it and it blazed by. I've already started Season 2, one episode in so far. Man the show is good.

You should get into shows like Game of Thrones if you end up enjoying the challenge of the characters. The Wire while it has a largish cast size is childs play in comparison to GoT for instance, which seems to introduce 10 characters for every 1 they kill. Each with their own complex storyline and ties to others.

The Wire is good for sure, but its kind of like the tip of the iceberg for good TV. There are much better show out there, hopefully TW will be your gateway drug.

zero_suit

You should get into shows like Game of Thrones if you end up enjoying the challenge of the characters. The Wire while it has a largish cast size is childs play in comparison to GoT for instance, which seems to introduce 10 characters for every 1 they kill. Each with their own complex storyline and ties to others.

The Wire is good for sure, but its kind of like the tip of the iceberg for good TV. There are much better show out there, hopefully TW will be your gateway drug.

Haha, what?

Dany

Banned
I havn't posted in here but Sai-Kun and I have been watching Battle star. Two nights ago we finished season one and GOD DAMN. I can't believe that I missed this show. Everything about it is amazing, the music, story and the moral/ethical dilemmas that everyone is in. We rushed through 5 episodes last night, we finished the two part that begins season 2, The Home I think its called. Really liking the show so far. I do have a few minor quibbles about some characters but we'll see how it goes...

SO much of the show reminds me of Lost, the music, characters, themes and the direction. Ah, really great show so far.
I can't wait to see whats coming up.

Oh, for the season one finale
my roommate was quiet the entire time, usually we talk a bit back and forth but he was just deadpan silent, and when Adama got shot I yelled "OH FUCK IT!" and he just flipped out, lol. He didn't want to give it away.

dorkimoe

finally getting around to finishing rescue me. I had seen 1-5 and a half like 5 years ago. I got stuck on season 5 it was just so boring, finally got back into it. I love this show so much. Its one of the funniest shows ever without even trying to be, the dark humor is just perfect. Cant wait to see how it ends. Luckily i havent been spoiled yet

Davey Cakes

We were watching that but stopped before season 1 finished I believe. It is really funny but everything Michael Cera...no thanks. :/
I don't love or hate Michael Cera, but I will say Arrested Development was where it was easiest to tolerate him. Some genuinely funny moments involved him, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom