• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch Plays Pokemon Emerald: Right A Down, Right A Down

• Thread starter Deleted member 231381
  • Start date
knDavut.png

In FE, its not actually chance. Try resetting the game every time and enacting the same moves. The same crits, misses, dodges, AI movements will remain

The dev just put a if x then y for a bunch of possibilities in the game

Crayolan

Idealistic Perfect Run Scenario:
-Annie sweeps Sidney, no damage taken
-Against Pheobe we switch out first turn to doge, he kills 2 mons and goes down
-Next we switch to Vileplume, she takes out 2 mons and goes down
-Finally we switch to Tentacruel and he takes out the final mon OR switch to m4 and he uses Surf. Rollout is just free damage for the opponent while it builds up power
-Annie sweeps Glacia, down to below 50% hp
-Annie defeats Shelgon, Drake switches to Altaria and she goes down
-We send out Graveler, he takes out Altaria and goes down to Kingdra
-We send out Tentacruel, he takes out Kingdra, then Flygon, then Salamence (this part I'm iffy about. From full health he can probably take out Kingdra if we use mostly HP Electric, then iirc can 1hko flygon with surf, and then I'm not sure if he can take out Salamence at this point, but Salamence takes a lot of hits to beat him so maybe)
-Tentacruel gets some damage off on Wailord, but faints
-M4 rolls to victory from 100% hp

This isn't actually that ridiculous to pull off aside from the switching to the right pokemon and using the right moves with Tentacruel. Even if he dies against Salamence but damages it enough M4 should be able to take it down in 1-2 turns taking minimal damage and still being healthy enough for Wallace, provided rollout doesn't miss.

PBalfredo

Oh right. Did we ever get Rest for M4?

Unfortunately no. I guarantee you if we did, we'd have won by now. M4's Rollout is key to victory over Milotic and that only happens if M4 can stay healthy until Wallace. Rest would be the easiest way for that to happen.

Maybe we should try buying potions again. A lucky hyper potion on M4 could make the difference.

backlot

In FE, its not actually chance. Try resetting the game every time and enacting the same moves. The same crits, misses, dodges, AI movements will remain

Technically Pokemon isn't random either. You can reset the game and get the exact same results if you time your inputs exactly the same.

Technically Pokemon isn't random either. You can reset the game and get the exact same results if you time your inputs exactly the same.

Not really, because you have to take into account damage rolls, which ARE random and would change the outcome as the x value is now different in the "if x then y" formula

So there still is a factor of randomness

That was a horrid Sidney run
3 pokemon down and Annie at 56%

Shiftry still being faster and using Torment instead of Double Team or Swagge screwed us
And right after the perfect run against him too

Shiftry still being faster and using Torment instead of Double Team or Swagge screwed us
And right after the perfect run against him too

Double Team would be the best option, combined with us HITTING with Brick Break. Anything as long as Shiftry doesn't have another move to hit Annie with. I'm not even sure why the chat switched Annie out. She STILL could have destroyed Crawdaunt.

EDIT: Wow, I wasn't paying attention to the stream. How the hell did Tenta get THAT LOW?

It's not actually chance in any video game. It's just more obvious in FE because the RNG starts from the same place when you reset the game. Presumably this is to discourage you from just resetting if the outcome of a battle isn't to your taste.

That... would be vastly overcomplicated.

Well, I simplified my explanation
I highly doubt they went through and inputted every single value for x and y, more like a bunch of equations

More like the pokemon damage formula
Although you are right in there being no chance digitally. Every single rng has a system behind it, and that's what I meant by "if x then y"

Oh hey, the game is legitimately frozen at this time

Taikun

There was a Fire Emblem 7 speedrun during the last AGDQ that heavily manipulated the RNG system of the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6So666eZwg

The player does a good job of explaining it... basically, while the 'random' element of the battles is actually fixed, it can be manipulated in the player's favor. He speedruns the game getting crits and beneficial rolls as needed to survive.

Crayolan

It's become real clear that part of the reason we keep failing is cause we constantly send out m4 by accident since she's at the back of the party. Notice how she has 40% hp but Tentacruel has 100%? We really need to switch their order in the party.

backlot

Not really, because you have to take into account damage rolls, which ARE random and would change the outcome as the x value is now different in the "if x then y" formula

So there still is a factor of randomness

Emeralds RNG is really bad though. If you sync inputs to the right frames you can actually predict the results. I'm just saying no computer program is truly random. I think it's weird to say there is no chance involved in Fire Emblem just because it keeps the seed if you save your game.

Emeralds RNG is really bad though. If you sync inputs to the right frames you can actually predict the results. I'm just saying no computer program is truly random. I think it's weird to say there is no chance involved in Fire Emblem just because it keeps the seed if you save your game.

Didn't mean to say no chance, just pointed something I found funny out.

Still, down to frames is much more random than a whole turn of moves

EDIT: Crap, was going for 5000th post damn it

PBalfredo

Wow, Annie got a perfect sweep on Sidney. She's come really far. She didn't even have fighting moves when we caught her, but thanks to teaching her Brick Break, she's grown a lot by feeding off of Sidney's team. She's Emerald's version of Solid Snake. A late game catch in Victory Road that we leveled aggressively and became an important pokemon in the lead position.

Too bad there's no easy prey for Doge, Vileplum and 5'7" to consistently level up on.

Top Bottom