• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TYRANNY |OT| Sometimes, Evil Wins [Tiers For Fears]

Sanctuary

The Atrophy core can be found pretty early on. It's in the
Echocall Crossing map
, I believe.
As soon as you zone in, move left and you'll find it in a hidden rock.

Do you need 40+ Subtlety? I had 47 about halfway through Act 1, but I don't know what it was at that location, and I search everywhere. Although not in stealth mode, so maybe that would have helped? If that's true, then I guess it really doesn't matter what core you pick at the start, just as long as you pick it twice. May as well grab Frost, since it's the best of the four options anyway. Unless there's an option to pick a staff at the start.

edit: Jesus christ Verse is ridiculous. She's literally now a Way of the Hundred Fist Monk from Diablo 3. Start with Fury's Embrace > Proc Lightning Weapon explosion > Hit everything around with it, if she crits, she hits everything within 1.5m (possibly triggering more weapon procs if there's no internal cooldown) > kill something to gain three attacks per basic attack for 20s for more chain reactions. Going to test the cooldown by having her solo a pack.

There isn't a cooldown.

Also:

Fan.jpg

Yeah, I wish I'd doubled down on Frost magic instead of going Lightning/Frost. My lightning spells are mostly useless, and will probably stay that way until I get the right shapes and accents to boost the CC, while my Frost spells do massive damage, AND you find the Frostfire accent really early.

Earlier in the thread I mentioned struggling with Verses damage output as an archer. It was just equipment issues. After unlocking the keep I bought a purple weapon which tripled her damage output. Unlocking more spells has helped too.

Obsidian said something about Unity trying to access network adapters while accessing it's own assets and failing if you have VMware or virtual network adapters, disabling it should fix loading time issues. I have no idea why this is actually a thing.

There has to be something else as well. I have vmware and I just loaded up the game and was ready to play in less than 10 seconds after I clicked continue.

Steez

Yeah, I know. It's just that on my first playthrough,
the forge
was an option I took near the end, and even if you were to grab it early, I'm not sure if you'd have enough materials for what you need by then.
Can you not
upgrade higher tiered gear too though
? If it has the same limit as
Barik's gear
, still no contest?

I didn't really compare Barik's stuff to other upgraded heavy gear, so it's entirely possible. Probable even, now that I think about it, just by virtue of artifacts having unique abilities.

Also, I just finished my first playthrough after 28 hours. Here a quick run down of my initial thoughts.

Sided with the Disfavoured. Ashe and Tunon became my underlings and I killed Nerat and Bleden.

All in all a really good game, in some aspects even better than Pillars, though worse in others.
Really liked the itemization compared to PoE, with some items having unique properties, reminiscent of Baldur's Gate. PoE kinda fixed that with the expansions, but Tyranny wins regardless.
I enjoyed most of the companions and especially the Archons. Props to whomever designed the latter, they all look incredibe. One issue I have with the recruitable NPCs, and this goes for PoE as well, is that they're totally front-loaded. Just like in Pillars, you can exhaust pretty much every dialogue option right from the get-go, hampering their overall arc. I hope Obsidian finally fixes this in their next game, because it's a huge waste of opportunity in terms of character writing.
Reactivity seems to be there as well, although it's hard to tell after just one playthrough.
Now, one kinda big issue I have with the game is the final act.

It seems so rushed. Take care of this guy, kill that guy, Tunon bends his knee and we're done. WHAT? I dig the idea that we never get to see Kyros and don't overthrow his/hers (also really liked the ambiguity about Kyros' gender/being) empire in just a few days after becoming an Archon, but the ending is just way too abrupt. I wonder how much ended up on the cutting floor.

Don't get me wrong, this sours me a bit on the experience, but it's still a really good RPG and I'm looking forward to more stories from this extremely well-realized universe, be it DLC or a full-fledged sequel.

And now, time to start a rebel playthrough!

If you have a SSD and still get long load times, how much free space do you have? SSDs can become drastically slower if you fill them.

Menome

I'm running off a decade-old hard-drive and whilst I get a very long initial load time (approx one to one and a half minutes) when I press 'Continue' from the Main Menu, everything else loads in ten seconds or less for the rest of my play session.

Nzyme32

I'm running off a decade-old hard-drive and whilst I get a very long initial load time (approx one to one and a half minutes) when I press 'Continue' from the Main Menu, everything else loads in ten seconds or less for the rest of my play session.

I watched a few Twitch streamers play the game and was pretty surprised by all this.

My PC with SSD will show the loading screen at the start of a new game and play the brief piece of music for less than one time through (about 4 secs). Watching some streamers though, that can extend to play 3 times through and then some (around 40+sec). Quite crazy. Not sure what causes that.

With an SSD loading at Lethian' s Crossing is lengthy enough that I cringe before entering or exiting a building there. It has been just fine before that point though.

mbpm1

Loading time from the main menu was long enough for me to read a few pages from a book. In game it was a little better but still really long on map travel segments

Sanctuary

With an SSD loading at Lethian' s Crossing is lengthy enough that I cringe before entering or exiting a building there. It has been just fine before that point though.

Oh god yes. Worst area in the entire game for exploration. There also seems to be a memory leak issue. Never had a problem before, but the game was crawling to 1fps during some fights. I was using a bunch of AoE abilities that would proc other AoE abilities, so on the PC I'm playing it on, that kind of makes sense. But what doesn't make sense is for the game to remain sub 30fps after that for the majority of the game.

Earlier in the thread I mentioned struggling with Verses damage output as an archer. It was just equipment issues. After unlocking the keep I bought a purple weapon which tripled her damage output. Unlocking more spells has helped too.

I'm honestly not really seeing the point of an archer on anything other than PotD difficulty. Things just die too quickly on Hard or below around midway through. It also doesn't help that this is my second playthrough, and I've still never found the Sigil of Guarded Form (can make a Haste spell for +25% movement and -25% recovery), which I was planning on using long before now. I read that you get it from
A vendor of the Disfavored
which doesn't help my current playthrough, and it also sucks if there really are faction specific Sigils. Anyway, one of the best bows in the game is located at the
Oldwalls Breach

Yeah, the load times are pretty rough. The initial one is massive, and transitions take just long enough to induce dread. I want to say Pillars was the same, but you spent a lot more time on each map so it didn't seem as bad.

Loading times have been better for me than they were for Pillars, but only just marginally. Still pretty bad on the whole, imo. Hopefully they'll improve in whatever game Obsidian puts out next.

Facism

Is there a point in the game where I can get through ironhaul crossing peacefully? The spire at lethians is the only one I have left to activate

MartyStu

Is there a point in the game where I can get through ironhaul crossing peacefully? The spire at lethians is the only one I have left to activate

If you can get to Lethian's Crossing, you should be able to activate the spite without needed the third rubbing.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
so guys, I loved PoE, would you say I'm going to love this as well? I'm sick of playing only OW on my pc and looking for some meaty modern rpg

Nzyme32

so guys, I loved PoE, would you say I'm going to love this as well? I'm sick of playing only OW on my pc and looking for some meaty modern rpg

There's less combat but more dialog. It's also shorter. If that's OK with you, you'll probably love Tyranny.

While I am not close to finishing it, this certainly seems like the same opinion I have. Dare I say, I might like it more than Pillars in many respects. It's a tough call, but I'd probably have a more informed response once finished

Facism

If you can get to Lethian's Crossing, you should be able to activate the spite without needed the third rubbing.

that's not the issue i'm having. There's a group of pricks that won't let me across their precious bridge peacefully so i can't get into Lethian's Crossing without destroying them.

MartyStu

that's not the issue i'm having. There's a group of pricks that won't let me across their precious bridge peacefully so i can't get into Lethian's Crossing without destroying them.

Oh. Yeah, you have no choice other than destroying them.

I think you need to be on the Rebel or Anarchist path in order to safely be let through.

Do you need 40+ Subtlety? I had 47 about halfway through Act 1, but I don't know what it was at that location, and I search everywhere. Although not in stealth mode, so maybe that would have helped? If that's true, then I guess it really doesn't matter what core you pick at the start, just as long as you pick it twice. May as well grab Frost, since it's the best of the four options anyway. Unless there's an option to pick a staff at the start.
I just checked an early savegame and my subtlety was 54 when I was there and I found it without stealth mode enabled.

CloudWolf

I think you need to be on the Rebel or Anarchist path in order to safely be let through.

Huh? I took the Scarlet Chorus path and I could cross without any problems. Though that might've had something to do with my Conquest choices,

Menome

Huh? I took the Scarlet Chorus path and I could cross without any problems. Though that might've had something to do with my Conquest choices,

If in Act 1 you sided with the faction currently occupying Lethian's Crossing due to your choices in Conquest, the Bronze Brotherhood leader is automatically hostile towards you.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Nerd Commando has started doing builds for Tyranny. Anyone into Min-Maxing in CRPG's are probably already familiar with his channel, if not he's amazing at breaking RPG's in half and worth checking out.

Register

Banned
Tyranny is outstanding. One of the best cRPGs in history. Way better than PoE imo - World, story and setting. All are top-notch.

Register

Banned
Nerd Commando has started doing builds for Tyranny. Anyone into Min-Maxing in CRPG's are probably already familiar with his channel, if not he's amazing at breaking RPG's in half and worth checking out.
I don't see what could be more OP than my 2h melee warrior. I'm hitting for 90-170 and I'm level 9 or something.

edit: Wanted to edit. Oh well.

Moff

hmm, I am pleased with the difference in my second playthrough, some new maps/locations, found also new spell combinations (expressions) and even in the reused maps there are plenty of differences, pretty cool

Brakke

Banned
Man. My character is all about law and dominating his enemies and showing no respect to failure and standing against tall odds... so I sided with the Dishonored against the Citadel. But. Voices of Neraat is so cool. I loved the colored-text side conversations with Neraat in dialog (is that just a high Lore thing?). Seriously considering rerolling to a character I can roleplay to be buddies with Neraat.

MartyStu

If in Act 1 you sided with the faction currently occupying Lethian's Crossing due to your choices in Conquest, the Bronze Brotherhood leader is automatically hostile towards you.

Holy shit. That makes a ton more sense. I sided with no one, so I had no issues.

Anyone know if it is possible to not have to murder all the Unbroken on the anarchist path? My anarchist aims to br true neutral and not being able to talk my way out of those fight irks me.

I kicked the Bronze Brotherhood out in Conquest, sided with Scarlet Chorus in Act 1, and was able to "peacefully" (ie I demanded, they backed down) get through the bridge without a fight.

Register

Banned
I kicked the Bronze Brotherhood out in Conquest, sided with Scarlet Chorus in Act 1, and was able to "peacefully" (ie I demanded, they backed down) get through the bridge without a fight.

I have Disfavored 5 favor - sided with them obviously - also during conquest. Had to fight.

Labadal

I hadn't updated my spell arsenal for some time. Now that that is taken care of, the elemental enemies are going down like flies. Completed the Burning Library section, which was fairly straightforward.

While I do have some issues with the game, I am enjoying it and can see myself replaying this once I beat it.

JC Sera

Man. My character is all about law and dominating his enemies and showing no respect to failure and standing against tall odds... so I sided with the Dishonored against the Citadel. But. Voices of Neraat is so cool. I loved the colored-text side conversations with Neraat in dialog (is that just a high Lore thing?). Seriously considering rerolling to a character I can roleplay to be buddies with Neraat.
Before you reroll,
when you choose Ashe use every option to remain silent, you will learn something new about the Voices of Nerat

Uriah

Late Act 1 Boss Fight Spoilers:
Any advice for dealing with Tarkis? I keep getting my ass kicked on hard lol.

MartyStu

Late Act 1 Boss Fight Spoilers:
Any advice for dealing with Tarkis? I keep getting my ass kicked on hard lol.

Make sure everyone can heal themselves. That helps immensely.

Also use blurred vision on your melee.

If you your biggest problem is getting overwhelmed, I suggest you immediately stealth after the cut-scene is over and move your party to the entrance. You should be able to break the mob into two.

Sanctuary

Man, I normally never have an issue understanding someone speaking English with a heavy accent, but he really pushes it to the limit. I struggled to make it through five minutes. It's like listening to someone doing run-on sentences of Google translate. His tank build just for Normal is ridiculous, in an I don't know what the hell he's thinking kind of way. So many disables that aren't even needed, unless you're just carrying a party full of healers and zero damage characters. Fights don't last long enough for all of that to matter. PotD on the other hand is a different story.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Obsidian said something about Unity trying to access network adapters while accessing it's own assets and failing if you have VMware or virtual network adapters, disabling it should fix loading time issues. I have no idea why this is actually a thing.

I don't know what those things are so I don't imagine I have them?

JC Sera

If I were to make an Act 1 guide for new players it would be
– Pay attention to the engagement tooltip.
– Lantry will teach you the Life sigil at loyalty 1. Teach this spell to everyone in your party. This is essential and will save your bacon numerous times.
– There are 4 major storylines, which one you get depends on who you align with in act 1. Scarlet chorus, Disfavoured, Rebels and Fuck everybody.
– If you want to side with the rebels, it is very unintuitive
you have to spare the rebel leaders every chance you get, and be honest with Eb
– If you plan to go with the Rebels or to fuck everyone, go to Apex in conquest mode.
Lethian's crossing will be commanded by the Bronze Brotherhood by default
– One of the best sigils in the game, frostfire, is found in Tripplenet as a secret.
– Make sure to buy all the sigils you can from the merchants at the DF and SC camps.
– Make use of the trainers at each camp every time you level up. They are the NPCs outside of the resting tents, you have to ask them to tell you about themselves before you can ask them to train you. You can gain 5 skill ranks for every level. This is useful for getting early game lore for spells (especially for companions who have shite lore), or upping your subterfuge to open chests.
– Return to the DF and SC camps after you finish all the mission but before you talk to the archons again. There will be new NPCs to interact with.

Also found this one on tvtropes, if you really don't want a time limit hanging over your head:
Kyros edict is set for the day of swords, which is an annual holiday. If you keep resting so 8 days have passed, then proclaim the edict, the counter will be set to 365 days

Agreed on being very careful to get all the Sigils, Accents, etc. laying around and for sale in Act 1, they're Gone Forever if you don't and some of them (FROSTFIRE BIATCH) are crazy good.

Paches

I am in the middle of Act 2 and have clearly hit the point where my characters are so good that every fight is a complete steamroll, playing on hard. Should have gone up a level. Barik is absolutely crushing everything in 1 or 2 hits with Frost Grasp, or whatever, from Lantry that gives him frost damage. Hitting for over a hundred on the regular and exploding fools left and right. Not to mention Sirin and Lantry spamming ice spells left and right with Frostfire and damage sigils. The amount of damage you can do in the opening salvo is ludicrous.

Uriah

So I beat the boss of act 1, but
she seemed to disappear from the top of the tower? Also, is it too late to side with the rebels?

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
well guess I'm gonna get this. Not entirely sure I'll prefer more story and less fights, but can't ignore all these positive impressions, and Pokemon is a week away sooo bought

JC Sera

Man, the conquests REALLY have a pronounced effect on many parts of the game.

I like this.
Conquest mode, Lore/Exposition in hoverable tool tips, magic and the reputation systems I feel like are the best things to take away from this game and apply to others.
tumblr_ogjnztEh1Z1sip22jo1_1280.png

tumblr_ogjnztEh1Z1sip22jo2_1280.png

I appreciate that they did this
I really want to see a lets play of a [Glare silently] playthrough
apparently the devs have ordered shirts which say "Glare Silently"

RiouV

Uh...my Sirin is broken and I don't know how to fix her. She's singing at a ridiculous rate and if I put her on a damage song everything around just explodes. It's kinda amusing but I don't want to just walk through the game lol.

mbpm1

Uh...my Sirin is broken and I don't know how to fix her. She's singing at a ridiculous rate and if I put her on a damage song everything around just explodes. It's kinda amusing but I don't want to just walk through the game lol.

i think this glitch has come up for a couple people now. Doesn't seem fixable. Somehow related to her +25% song speed thing I believe.

mbpm1

Conquest mode, Lore/Exposition in hoverable tool tips, magic and the reputation systems I feel like are the best things to take away from this game and apply to others.

I really want to see a lets play of a [Glare silently] playthrough
apparently the devs have ordered shirts which say "Glare Silently"

Apparently this dialogue happens later in the game if you keep glaring (spoilers)

Tunon: "Ever since you arrived at the Tiers, you have proven stubbornly tight-lipped. Your speech is often stilled as if by some great terror or apprehension. Can you answer for this anomaly or are you too simple to manage it?"
PC: "[Say Nothing]"
Tunon: "I don't know why I expected any different."

i need to replay a mute Fatebinder

Menome

i think this glitch has come up for a couple people now. Doesn't seem fixable. Somehow related to her +25% song speed thing I believe.

From what I can gather elsewhere, the current bugs involving Sirin (This and one where she loses her learnt songs) occur when you swap her in and out of your party. So for the time being, if you want to play with Sirin, recruit her and keep her in the party at all times.

Top Bottom