• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TYRANNY |OT| Sometimes, Evil Wins [Tiers For Fears]

Labadal

I found it weird how your companions' allegiances don't seem to come into play very often.
Like I'm here killing Disfavored by the dozen and Barik doesn't seem to give two shits. Even helps me do it! I kept waiting for him to confront me or leave the party but nothing ever happened.

With the way companions were written I feel like there were originally quests planned for them but were scrapped for whatever reason.
Barik has his armor problem, Sirin needs to get that helmet off, Verse has strange abilities she doesn't understand, and so on.
I complained about this earlier in the thread. This ruined his character for me.

Moff

Barik complains all the time about killing disfavored.
He should leave as well, yes, but it would be a bit dumb to make the only real tank only available for 1 of 4 paths.

Sanctuary

I complained about this earlier in the thread. This ruined his character for me.

I had a similar complaint, but it actually gets discussed more than once in the game. So while it seems unrealistic, there is a reason behind it (one of which was an assumption I mentioned).

Labadal

I had a similar complaint, but it actually gets discussed more than once in the game. So while it seems unrealistic, there is a reason behind it (one of which was an assumption I mentioned).
I'll have to beat the game (get all of his convos) to see why, I guess.

MartyStu

I actually found that the members I left behind gained MORE XP than the ones I had been using constantly. When my main crew (Verse, Barik, Lantry) was around level 12ish, I put in Kills-in-Shadow for the first time for fun (I had picked her up but never used her for X amount of hours before that), and she was at level 16. Same went for Eb when I brought her along for the first time since I picked her up as well.

The reason it seems that way may be because they are splitting their experience between fewer skills.

Sanctuary

Hurray for game stopping bugs. At the end of Act 1, and Vendrian's Well Citadel is not available, but that's where I am supposed to go.

I'm supposed to meet the Disfavored there to help them take the Citadel. Aaaaand my other quest is to help the Oathbreakers defend against the siege...

Spoke with everyone, and searched around the five currently available maps to see if it somehow triggered the location somehow. Nope, game broke.

Labadal

Hurray for game stopping bugs. At the end of Act 1, and Vendrian's Well Citadel is not available, but that's where I am supposed to go.

I'm supposed to meet the Disfavored there to help them take the Citadel. Aaaaand my other quest is to help the Oathbreakers defend against the siege...

Spoke with everyone, and searched around the five currently available maps to see if it somehow triggered the location somehow. Nope, game broke.
I guess we're the exception. Game worked very well before I got stuck.

Sanctuary

Holy crap! Just found this early in Act 1. Best Archer/Caster head piece in the game?

cowl.jpg

Ok, I think I finally fully understand how the Reputation Bar works.

It goes from Tiers 0-6.

To unlock the ability to reach Tier 2, you need a minor boost, which you get the first time you receive any sort of reputation gain.
Tier 3 needs and average boost, Tier 4 a major boost and Tier 5-6 a very major boost. It doesn't matter when you get the boost, just the fact you got it. So to max any bar, you need to get a very major reputation boost at some point in the game.

Ok, I think I finally fully understand how the Reputation Bar works.

It goes from Tiers 0-6.

To unlock the ability to reach Tier 2, you need a minor boost, which you get the first time you receive any sort of reputation gain.
Tier 3 needs and average boost, Tier 4 a major boost and Tier 5-6 a very major boost. It doesn't matter when you get the boost, just the fact you got it. So to max any bar, you need to get a very major reputation boost at some point in the game.

Sounds correct.

The favor gates are a way to prevent middle-of-the-road characters from being misinterpreted as closely-aligned (or maligned) with that faction; it's a really smart addition to reputation systems.

Register

Banned
Man the game took a deep nosedive after Act 1. After the debacle with the sages and the unsatisfying solution to the libary, I was pleased that I could actually
save the baby
, even tho it was never to be heard of again.

Now I'm in the at the
beasttribe in the stonesea and need safe passage. I freed the captured beast and freed the prisoners in return.
Now that I speak with the leader, EVERY SINGLE CHOICE leads to killing them. For the umpteenth time. It's tiring. There are no 'options' it's "kill kill kill kill". It doesn't feel like you have any say in how you want to accomplish things, the game forces you to follow one-single-option.

I dunno why they chose this very linear approach. Maybe they over-commited and there were too many paths to branch things out. But this is a far cry from other cRPGs or even its own Act 1. This is Fallout 4 all over again - just with more words.

Man the game took a deep nosedive after Act 1. After the debacle with the sages and the unsatisfying solution to the libary, I was pleased that I could actually
save the baby

Now I'm in the at the
beasttribe in the stonesea and need safe passage. I freed the captured beast and freed the prisoners in return.
Now that I speak with the leader, EVERY SINGLE CHOICE leads to killing them. For the umpteenth time. It's tiring. There are no 'options' it's "kill kill kill kill". It doesn't feel like you have any say in how you want to accomplish things, the game forces you to follow one-single-option.

I dunno why they chose this very linear approach. Maybe they over-commited and there were too many paths to branch things out. But this is a far cry from other cRPGs or even its own Act 1. This is Fallout 4 all over again - just with more words.

They lock you into a route super early in the game. And it leads to a feeling of being railroaded at times in Act 2.

Moff

save the baby

Now I'm in the at the

Killing who? The beast tribe? I didn't have to do that. Maybe you made a wrong choice earlier.

Labadal

I mett my first Havoc and died three times in a row. Redistribution of potions/edibles and some item switching/new spells finally helped.

That was my first "real" challenge, even if there were some decently challenging battles before.

MartyStu

I mett my first Havoc and died three times in a row. Redistribution of potions/edibles and some item switching/new spells finally helped.

That was my first "real" challenge, even if there were some decently challenging battles before.

My team steamrolled that fucker on the first try.

I found most off the fights in Act 1 way more challenging. In part because only Lantry had--only 2--spells until the last fight.

They lock you into a route super early in the game. And it leads to a feeling of being railroaded at times in Act 2.

Yeah. The best you can do I think is resort back to anarchy if you do not like your path.

Register

Banned
Finished the game. Act III was super short, but I kinda liked it. Still sad that some options are out of your reach. I got Belden to Favor 5
and I still couldn't make him join me.

Even tho I only immersed myself as a Soldier who is in a war and it's "serve or die", I tried to be fair and true to my position - stand for justice. That wasn't sadly possible in Act II and it remains my biggest gripe as posted above. Some resolutions just don't make sense and offer no alternative. It felt very out of place compared to the early game.
In the end
I took over the Tiers as ruler (even tho I actually didn't want to play a person of power), since Ashe isn't fit as a ruler (he's more a commander) and Tunon didn't seem to want to. I'm a bit sad that I couldn't simply say "Hey I Kyros, it's yours, don't mind me, I did it in your name", but that would rule out that open ending so I understand.

Overall It was 'good'. I absolutely love the world and situation you are thrown in, but Act II's railroads dragged it down greatly. It had the potential to be among the best cRPGs of all time, but couldn't keep up. Still, I think it's better than PoE - for the setting alone. In retrospect, that game was kinda shallow and forgettable (it's still pretty good).

MartyStu

Finished the game. Act III was super short, but I kinda liked it. Still sad that some options are out of your reach. I got Belden to Favor 5
and I still couldn't make him join me.

Even tho I only immersed myself as a Soldier who is in a war and it's "serve or die", I tried to be fair and true to my position - stand for justice. That wasn't sadly possible in Act II and it remains my biggest gripe as posted above. Some resolutions just don't make sense and offer no alternative. It felt very out of place compared to the early game.
In the end
I took over the Tiers as ruler (even tho I actually didn't want to play a person of power), since Ashe isn't fit as a ruler (he's more a commander) and Tunon didn't seem to want to. I'm a bit sad that I couldn't simply say "Hey I Kyros, it's yours, don't mind me, I did it in your name", but that would rule out that open ending so I understand.

Overall It was 'good'. I absolutely love the world and situation you are thrown in, but Act II's railroads dragged it down greatly. It had the potential to be among the best cRPGs of all time, but couldn't keep up. Still, I think it's better than PoE - for the setting alone. In retrospect, that game was kinda shallow and forgettable (it's still pretty good).

The railroading in Act 2 is indeed unfortunate, but that is not my issue with it. I think a better job could have been done with allowing the player to define some of his/her reasoning.

The Anarchist path does this at times. It allows you to essentially eliminate everything, but most of the time, there is at least a logical througline as to why certain characters would choose to do this. I just think that the writer could have a better job expanding that.

Still, I blame that more on budget than anything else. Seems to me that the writers wanted to manage the absurd permutations possible after all the choices in Act 1 and the conquest.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Am I doing something wrong in Lethian's crossing?

I can't seem to get the sealed door in the Oldwalls to open, so I only have 2 of the charcoal rubbings for the Spire. Based on some googling there's supposed to be some helmet ceremony or something and a quest to go into the Oldwalls? I've been all through Lethian's Crossing and talked to everyone I can find and that hasn't happened.

azyless

Am I doing something wrong in Lethian's crossing?

I can't seem to get the sealed door in the Oldwalls to open, so I only have 2 of the charcoal rubbings for the Spire. Based on some googling there's supposed to be some helmet ceremony or something and a quest to go into the Oldwalls? I've been all through Lethian's Crossing and talked to everyone I can find and that hasn't happened.
I think you're not supposed to do Lethian's Crossing first, I had the same issue. If I remember correctly you have to
go see Tunon in the Bastard City
to
unlock the helm quest
. Either that or
the voices of Nerat/Graven Ashe
depending on who you sided with.

Register

Banned
I just googled every puzzle solution, right when I found them, even if I had all the drawings. The puzzle takes WAAAAAY to long and if you fuck up even 1 point you have to redo everything. Combine that with the atrocious loading times, and you can BET I won't run around in search for the missing piece. Fuck that.

Labadal

I just googled every puzzle solution, right when I found them, even if I had all the drawings. The puzzle takes WAAAAAY to long and if you fuck up even 1 point you have to redo everything. Combine that with the atrocious loading times, and you can BET I won't run around in search for the missing piece. Fuck that.
You could figure out the puzzle with only two pieces. I never bothered to search for the third one. I just looked at the pattern and figured it out.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
You could figure out the puzzle with only two pieces. I never bothered to search for the third one. I just looked at the pattern and figured it out.

Yup that's what I did, it's pretty easy with 2 rubbings since all the patterns are symmetrical.

Just started and one quick question, you can find hidden items in stealth mode right? Does that mean I should literally be crawling around all the time just in hopes of finding something?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I think you're not supposed to do Lethian's Crossing first, I had the same issue. If I remember correctly you have to
go see Tunon in the Bastard City
to
unlock the helm quest
. Either that or
the voices of Nerat/Graven Ashe
depending on who you sided with.

I've talked to Tunon and Ashe, neither gave me any quest about a helm.

Nzyme32

Just started and one quick question, you can find hidden items in stealth mode right? Does that mean I should literally be crawling around all the time just in hopes of finding something?

You could, but that is kind of an over the top way to do it. You'll find that if your skill / party members' skill are high enough for a particular hidden object, the will identify it at a certain proximity when you are running by them. I just do that, but in areas that I suspect something, like traps or other odd things, then going into scout mode can enhance the odds of finding those things.

Sanctuary

You're supposed to talk to
the people in the Forge, who tell you about the ceremony.
I had issues getting things to trigger correctly in Lethian though when I went with the Disfavored. On my other playthroughs with other factions it hasn't been an issue.

Aside from abilities that trigger from stealth, I've found zero use for scouting mode. My subterfuge hasn't let me down yet regarding finding and detecting traps and hidden items.

Anoregon

You're supposed to talk to
the people in the Forge, who tell you about the ceremony.
I had issues getting things to trigger correctly in Lethian though when I went with the Disfavored. On my other playthroughs with other factions it hasn't been an issue.

Aside from abilities that trigger from stealth, I've found zero use for scouting mode. My subterfuge hasn't let me down yet regarding finding and detecting traps and hidden items.

Yeah I dunno, I've talked to all the forgebound folks numerous times. One of them (the leader I think?) looks like has a conversation option that should lead to a quest (asking about a problem) but he just says "oh don't worry about it" and there's no further dialog options to push it.

Thanks guys,

as of the start of the game, my subterfuge is only 29, is that decent enough? I pumped that and lore as much as I could when creating my character

azyless

You should have another quest given to you by Ashe, I had the
Burning Library
for example. After doing that he should send you back to Lethian's crossing and a new NPC will be in the forge. That's what happened with the voices of Nerat at least, I imagine it's the same.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Every time I hit "continue" on the start screen the game crashes while loading. Is this a known issue? I can play the game just fine if I manually load my last save but pressing Continue freezes the game for some reason.

Labadal

Every time I hit "continue" on the start screen the game crashes while loading. Is this a known issue? I can play the game just fine if I manually load my last save but pressing Continue freezes the game for some reason.
I get a long ass loading time but I have had zero crashes.

Top Bottom