• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

U.S. Plans Crackdown on Piracy, Counterfeiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doth Togo

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=technologyNews&storyID=6408093

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States is cracking down on the growing trade in counterfeit and pirated goods that costs U.S. businesses hundreds of billions of dollar annually, U.S. government and industry officials said on Monday.

"Virtually everything of value that Americans make, create, or innovate is stolen somewhere around the world and it's time to step up and stop it," said David Hirschmann, senior vice president at the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. "This is a $250 billion dollar problem for American business."

U.S. Attorney General John Ashcroft, Trade Representative Robert Zoellick, Commerce Secretary Don Evans and Homeland Security Undersecretary Asa Hutchinson were to hold a briefing later on Monday to outline details of a new plan called Strategy Targeting Organized Piracy -- or Stop for short.

The planned crackdown follows warnings from Ronald Noble, secretary-general of the international police agency Interpol, that trade in fake goods has become "the preferred method of funding for a number of terrorist groups."

Estimates of the global market in counterfeit goods range as high as $600 billion, or about 7 percent of world trade.

The bogus business affects a wide range of products including auto and aircraft parts, cigarettes, perfume, shampoo, birth control pills and watches.

U.S. music, movie, book and software publishers have estimated they lost more than $10 billion in 2003 from sales of illegal copies of their products around the world. China accounted for quarter of those losses, or $2.6 billion. (A very conservative estimate, IMO.)

Bush administration officials gave industry groups an overview of their plan late on Friday.

"It will be a broad-based intellectual property enforcement initiative that touches on both domestic and international issues," said Timothy Trainer, president of the International Anticounterfeiting Coalition, whose 140 corporate and other members have combined revenues of more than $650 billion.

The plan includes publication of an annual "name and shame" list of foreign companies known to be producing or trafficking in fakes, industry sources said.

The Justice Department will conduct a large-scale effort to break up criminal organizations that U.S. officials say are involved in widespread sales of pirated products.

The administration plans to push for an overhaul of U.S. intellectual-property laws, with an emphasis on toughening criminal penalties for people convicted of piracy.

- - - - -

U.S. Prepares to Crack Down On Intellectual-Property Piracy
By Neil King Jr.

4 October 2004
The Wall Street Journal, A2 English
(Copyright (c) 2004, Dow Jones & Company, Inc.)

The Bush administration is expected to announce today a coordinated crackdown on the theft of U.S. intellectual property, such as pirated compact discs and knockoff auto parts, which U.S. officials say amounts to about 7% of global trade.

Called the Strategy Targeting Organized Piracy, or Stop, the effort consists of immediate steps to be taken by federal agencies, together with legal and administrative changes to be made in coming months. The effort, nearly a year in the works, reflects a desire within the administration to strengthen the ability of U.S. companies to compete overseas at a time when the widening U.S. trade deficit continues to set records. Officials say that rampant piracy of copyrighted or patented U.S. goods, particularly in China, is
depriving American companies of billions of dollars a year in revenue.
"This will be the most comprehensive effort ever launched to stop the trade in pirated goods," said one senior administration official, who provided details on the initiative. The official added that while "China is not the only problem, it is ground zero."

The initiative comes as the White House faces growing pressure from Congress and U.S. industry to get tough with China on counterfeiting. U.S. officials contend that after a series of negotiations over the past year, Beijing is at last beginning to take steps to improve its piracy record. The announcement also comes as the presidential campaign shifts its attention to the economy from the war in Iraq. A crackdown on pirated goods would show the administration is ready to protect U.S. industry and is getting tough on trade.
The theft of brands, even down to similar packaging and company catalogs, has skyrocketed during recent years thanks to the ease of downloading information from the Internet. U.S. officials say the problem has begun to hit even small U.S. manufacturers and now goes beyond the usual trafficking in pirated movies and designer purses to include sales of substandard tools and parts under the stamp of well-known U.S. brands.
Attorney General John Ashcroft, Commerce Secretary Don Evans and U.S. Trade Representative Robert Zoellick plan to lay out details of the initiative, along with senior officials from the Department of Homeland Security.

Under the effort, the U.S. will publish for the first time an annual "name and shame" list of foreign companies known to be producing or trafficking in fakes. The Justice Department, meanwhile, will conduct a large-scale effort to break up criminal organizations that U.S. officials say are involved in widespread sales of pirated products. And the administration plans to push for an overhaul of U.S. intellectual-property laws, with an emphasis on toughening criminal penalties for people convicted of piracy.

The Bureau of Customs and Border Protection plans to implement procedures this year, the official said, to allow the agency to track down companies that traffic in fake products. Some of the advances on this front are possible largely because of enhanced cargo-tracking rules put in place after the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks, the official said.
The Justice Department is also seeking changes that would allow U.S. District Courts to impose injunctions against the import of known fake products into ports nationwide. Existing rules allow courts to impose such injunctions only for ports within their own jurisdiction.

The U.S. Trade Representative will begin to seek international agreements among other concerned countries to block trade in counterfeit products, including the possibility of seizures at sea and joint sting operations. As an example, the U.S. official described continuing, but so far unsuccessful, efforts in Japan, Europe and the U.S. to shut down a Chinese company that is exporting supposedly shatterproof, brand-name car windshields that explode on impact. Largely to give small U.S. companies a leg up, the U.S. Patent Office will open a hot line, 1-866-999-HALT, to help businesses register their patents and trademarks around the world and to instruct them on lodging complaints.

snapty00

Banned
The planned crackdown follows warnings from Ronald Noble, secretary-general of the international police agency Interpol, that trade in fake goods has become "the preferred method of funding for a number of terrorist groups."
So that is why I had that illegal version of Windows XP!

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Justin Bailey said:
Those Westfield Mall kiosks are going down.

hahaha yes, yes they are.

impirius said:
"Funding terrorism" is the new "interstate commerce"
The phrase funding terrorism has jumped the shark.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
This is just some pretty words. It won't make one iota of difference. What's the US gonna do, drop a bunch of marines into Guangdong province?

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
great, just what we need - more draconian IP laws. I can't wait.

And secondly, does it seem to anyone else like they come up with the acronym before they name these acts? I mean, seriously, "STOP" for piracy? Please.

Well, now that every American has health insurance, food on their plate, a roof over their heads & clothes on their back - not to mention everyone in the whole world co-existing in a peaceful utopia - I'm very glad to see my tax dollars going to punish those damn pirates!

This is why I wish *I* could pick where my tax dollars wind up.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Saint Cornelius said:
Well, now that every American has health insurance, food on their plate, a roof over their heads & clothes on their back - not to mention everyone in the whole world co-existing in a peaceful utopia - I'm very glad to see my tax dollars going to punish those damn pirates!

*groans*

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Saint Cornelius said:
Eloquent, as usual.

You do realize that the issues you address will most likely never be solved, they are constant on going problems. We don't give up on health insurance because some americans do not have food on their plate, right? They all have to be addressed at the same time.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Saint Cornelius said:

LOL

RevenantKioku said:
You do realize that the issues you address will most likely never be solved, they are constant on going problems. We don't give up on health insurance because some americans do not have food on their plate, right? They all have to be addressed at the same time.

And you do realize that I'm stating my own opinion, right? The point I'm trying to make is, I wish my tax dollars didn't have to go towards programs like this, or to build bombs to use in Iraq, or to build sports stadiums, or to fight the war on (non-perscription) drugs.

But like Fatghost said, it's all a bunch of pretty words. I'm sure that counterfiters across the world are trembling now that STOP is in effect.

Nerevar

Saint Cornelius said:
But like Fatghost said, it's all a bunch of pretty words. I'm sure that counterfiters across the world are trembling now that STOP is in effect.

Actually, the most likely affect is a series of new laws in the US which further clamp down on intellectual freedom and chill intellectual progress. Stuff like this only hurts us in the end.

RevenantKioku

Saint Cornelius said:
And you do realize that I'm stating my own opinion, right? The point I'm trying to make is, I wish my tax dollars didn't have to go towards programs like this, or to build bombs to use in Iraq, or to build sports stadiums, or to fight the war on (non-perscription) drugs.

I'm well aware of your opinion and your point, and the potential uselessness of this STOP.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Saint,

You tax dollar argument is sound, but you're likely not realizing that these multi-billion dollar companies contribute heavily to tax revenue, and if they're hurting finanically, the government is as well.

And so far, I count a grand total of ONE person in this thread that knows what the hell he's talking about in reference to intellectual property law.

levious said:
You tax dollar argument is sound, but you're likely not realizing that these multi-billion dollar companies contribute heavily to tax revenue, and if they're hurting finanically, the government is as well.

You're right. It's sort of like credit card fraud, in a way - the credit card companies won't make it the cardholders responsibility to pay off fraudulant purchases, but the price of goods goes up for everyone to offset the credit card companies' loss.

Maybe that was a bad analogy. :p

levious said:
And so far, I count a grand total of ONE person in this thread that knows what the hell he's talking about in reference to intellectual property law.

Neverar?

RevenantKioku

Saint Cornelius said:
Then I guess it was just your tummy bothering you or something that made you have to *groan*?

Yeah, must have been from having my own opinion or some crazy shit!

Saint,

Please give it a rest. This is a VIDEO GAME FORUM where anything VIDEOGAME related is discussed. This is not a POLITICAL or HUMANITARIAN outlet and we are all quite aware of the other non-videogame related problems in this fucking world so please stop using them as the basis for your continued arguments regarding piracy that you feel you need to express to us over and over and over and over and over and over.....

And if this policy eliminates the kiosks selling illegal products in shopping malls, I'd say it's effective at something. At least people will now need to seek out these gaming devices as opposed to just being suckered by sales people while browsing in any given mall.

Mr_Furious said:
Saint,

Please give it a rest. This is a VIDEO GAME FORUM where anything VIDEOGAME related is discussed. This is not a POLITICAL or HUMANITARIAN outlet and we are all quite aware of the other non-videogame related problems in this fucking world so please stop using them as the basis for your continued arguments regarding piracy that you feel you need to express to us over and over and over and over and over and over.....

Put me on ignore if you don't want to read what I have to say. :D

And try using some punctuation once in a while. You're not paying by the letter.

RevenantKioku

Saint Cornelius said:
Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't see any of these "opinions" you speak of, all I saw was an adjective surrounded by asterisks.

Some things are better left unsaid Saint.

Saint Cornelius said:
Then leave them unsaid
You should do the same. No one on this thread likes to be preached to about other worldy issues that are so blatantly obvious. You're preaching to the choir and like I said before, this is not the forum to bring up non-videogame issues. Take it to OT if you really have something to say.

1. Go to the top of the page and click on "User CP"
2. Go the right side of the screen under "miscellaneous" and click "ignore list"
3.) cut and paste: Saint Cornelius into the ignore list field
4.) click "update ignore list"

...afterwards, you can fuck right off with your sanctimonious ass. Who are you to tell anyone where they can & can't post, and what they can & can't say?

I heard ramblings of this a week ago. All my hacker and 'pirate' pals were complaining how it's gotten harder to get your hands on 'warez' and pirated movies. The 'usual' sources on the internet have been steadily been drained. Not empty but you can definatley notice shift. The honey pot is running out of honey so to speak...until something new emerges of course.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
I always laugh when they try to "stop" piracy by catching the people doing it....it's a never ending cycle. As I have always said, they really need to make it very difficult to do, then the problem will eventually become a minor one.

They will NEVER stop it, so may as well slow it down as best they can.

As I have also said before...it's just too damn easy.

Ah well....should make for an interesting show.

Nerevar

Apharmd Battler said:
I heard ramblings of this a week ago. All my hacker and 'pirate' pals were complaining how it's gotten harder to get your hands on 'warez' and pirated movies. The 'usual' sources on the internet have been steadily been drained. Not empty but you can definatley notice shift. The honey pot is running out of honey so to speak...until something new emerges of course.

I'm all for greater enforcement against the "usual" internet sources that illegally get ahold of and distribute warez. I'm just a little bit skeptical of this sort of thing - usually when Congress / the Administration begins mouthing off about "piracy" the only result is more legislation that limits the standard consumer's right to fair use, whereas the people in the underground keep on distributing work without a care.

Nerevar said:
I'm all for greater enforcement against the "usual" internet sources that illegally get ahold of and distribute warez. I'm just a little bit skeptical of this sort of thing - usually when Congress / the Administration begins mouthing off about "piracy" the only result is more legislation that limits the standard consumer's right to fair use, whereas the people in the underground keep on distributing work without a care.

Exactly, so they limit our rights for the greater good, while the '133t' hackers still maintain the status quo and it's business as usual for them. When will people get a clue. The tech savy will always find a way. The only reaosn te RIAA got into an uproar is because downloading music could be done at the click of a mouse by a 7 year old. When it gets that simplistic then everybody gets into an uproar. Just like the rumblings you here now since it's easy to copy a DVD than it is a VHS tape. While they trump on the rights of the average people who don't know the tech details of what's going on anyway, the tech heads will keep on pushing the envelope. On top of that, they only represent a very small percent of the problem. Most of the people who pirate have no intention of purchasing the stuff anyway (i.e. freeloaders). More legislation and crackdowns will only create slow things down for the interim. It'll be business as usual as soon as things calm down. Waste of time and money. I'm not advicating that nothing should be done, but it seems Ashcroft and crew are just barking up the same old tree...and the wrong tree at that.

Saint Cornelius said:
1. Go to the top of the page and click on "User CP"
2. Go the right side of the screen under "miscellaneous" and click "ignore list"
3.) cut and paste: Saint Cornelius into the ignore list field
4.) click "update ignore list"

...afterwards, you can fuck right off with your sanctimonious ass. Who are you to tell anyone where they can & can't post, and what they can & can't say?
Dude, you are a true asshole to the very core. I'm telling you I don't like being preached to about bullshit holier world issues in a fucking videogame forum. I shouldn't need to put you on ignore but if that's what it takes, then so be it. Ah, fuck it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom