• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft director blames gamers, says they've been exposed as 'non-decent humans'

Krathoon

I love this "gimmy yer money" mentality these game companies have these days. They expect you to pay over a $100 for a damn video game!

The movie industry is way less obnoxious, demands less money, and does just fine.

Myths

There is when you’re trying to claim that the entirety of a broad demographic ‘people who play games’ happen to have you as their near one to one totem. Sorry bud.

The fact of the matter is that there are millions if not billions of ‘gamers’ all with different beliefs and values and certainly ones that do not believe ‘evil ideologies’ are being pushed. XD
This. It’s god damn annoying and deserves a spiderman.jpeg.

Three

Serious question, why would a consumer care if a company fails at all? Happens everyday in the world if you do not produce a product people want.
I'm not sure, it's slightly strange behavior to want something to die when you can just ignore its existence. Unless it's a threat to you, or something you like. For example I can see not wanting microtransaction games in a franchise you like or some business model that is a threat to another one or whatever but wanting a company to die because of a product they made that you don't like, what does that gain you?

Simply not buying the product is always an option. It's like me wishing Apple dies because they made the iphone. I have no interest in their product or their closed off ecosystem but I simply just ignore it. I don't call Apple scum that should die hoping people lose their jobs. If the product doesn't sell and they go bankrupt I would still be completely indifferent, I really wouldn't care, but wanting that to happen is just hatred.

Why would anyone care for the persons feelings at all? I care about his product, not him, his family, or even his dead grandma.

He can have all his feelings all he wants, but when you go against your core base, then you will run into people who will be straight up and say they do not want a company around that does that.
In my job, I’ve been spit on repeatedly, shot at on a daily basis, called a baby killer, had two teeth knocked out by folks who disagreed with me, blown up in a desert far away from home and I just smile and laugh. I volunteered for my job, just as they did.Go to work, make a good product. People will buy it or not and give their company crap or not. This caring about feelings of some corporation and its people is crazy town.
Sure I agree he could do with thicker skin but I'm sure you don't appreciate that hostile behaviour either. Especially if your existence doesn't cause anybody harm. I suspect you're in the armed forces so that's a little different to simply creating a product and trying to sell it and people being hostile towards you. Hating their existence is just weird. I haven't bought many Ubisoft products and I'm not interested in their work but I'd never cheer on them going under.

Last edited:
Not my problems.

And to add in that he's now acted counter to the reason for his job... that's all on him.

I, we, won't take responsibility for his actions.
You don’t have to take responsibility for anything but your own actions, which includes wishing harm and hardship on anyone (if you are).

Is I/we the they/them equivalent for the mob?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm not sure, it's slightly strange behavior to want something to die when you can just ignore its existence. Unless it's a threat to you, or something you like. For example I can see not wanting microtransaction games in a franchise you like or some business model that is a threat to another one or whatever but wanting a company to die because of a product they made that you don't like, what does that gain you?

Simply not buying the product is always an option. It's like me wishing Apple dies because they made the iphone. I have no interest in their product or their closed off ecosystem but I simply just ignore it. I don't call Apple scum that should die hoping people lose their jobs. If the product doesn't sell and they go bankrupt I would still be completely indifferent, I really wouldn't care, but wanting that to happen is just hatred.

Sure I agree he could do with thicker skin but I'm sure you don't appreciate that hostile behaviour either. Especially if your existence doesn't cause anybody harm. I suspect you're in the armed forces so that's a little different to simply creating a product and trying to sell it and people being hostile towards you. Hating their existence is just weird. I haven't bought many Ubisoft products and I'm not interested in their work but I'd never cheer on them going under.
People who are truly pissed at gaming companies (and not a sideline gamer trolling for laughs) probably come from the fact past products were good and werent political. So when they get offered a new product that they dont like it pisses them off. Gaming is a unique industry because studios typically make one game at a time. So if it stinks, they hope 5 years later the next game improves which might not be true. Other industries, a tried and true product keeps selling, where any offshoot products are also made. And if those stink it's not a big deal because the classic product is still sold and enjoyed. Gaming is also different that you arent going to play the same game forever like buying milk and cheese. So gamers want the new product they like to keep going. Dont rock the boat too much please with the sequel.

Gaming is also different because you get political messages and employees battling them on social media which you dont get in most industries. So not only is the product itself meh, but piled on are employees who badmouth gamers on Twitter.

Even moreso, unless you get lucky with a digital refund, it's an industry where the norm is no refunds (especially discs). So if a product sucks you are stuck with it unless you hurry up and submit a refund request to Steam or MS etc... With other stuff you buy, most things are refundable in 30 days no problem. Believe it or not books are even refundable. As long as you dont crumple the book. You can technically read over a week and return it.

Like any business out there, make a good product at a good price with no BS, politics or employees battling customers and guaranteed the customer complaints will drop like a rock.

Last edited:

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University

I personally just do not care if a company survives at all. People have opinions and with the invention of social media, everyone now has a chance for their opinion to be heard.

There are billions of gamers in the world and each one of them has an opinion, there are going to be people that have opinions that are going to hurt little feelings and it really doesn’t matter. Just a small amount of shitbirds can seem like a lot when there are billions of people in a hobby.

It could be as simple as people are tired of opening up games to see constant store fronts that want to take their money, the crazy developers that believe most people want to be a 500 pound woman that we can be by eating at McDonalds, etc.

Like I said as long as someone isn’t threatening someone with violence, then they can call that person a retard for life and nothing was lost.

I look at game developers the same I look at the guy who made my pants, my underwear, the fruit juice I drink, the toilet paper I use. I do not care about them or who they work for and it is always going to be that way.

He needs some serious thicker skin, stop acting like a swaddled baby, clean his face and make something I want to buy or they do not. Either way, it doesn’t affect me.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I personally just do not care if a company survives at all. People have opinions and with the invention of social media, everyone now has a chance for their opinion to be heard.

There are billions of gamers in the world and each one of them has an opinion, there are going to be people that have opinions that are going to hurt little feelings and it really doesn’t matter. Just a small amount of shitbirds can seem like a lot when there are billions of people in a hobby.

It could be as simple as people are tired of opening up games to see constant store fronts that want to take their money, the crazy developers that believe most people want to be a 500 pound woman that we can be by eating at McDonalds, etc.

Like I said as long as someone isn’t threatening someone with violence, then they can call that person a retard for life and nothing was lost.

I look at game developers the same I look at the guy who made my pants, my underwear, the fruit juice I drink, the toilet paper I use. I do not care about them or who they work for and it is always going to be that way.

He needs some serious thicker skin, stop acting like a swaddled baby, clean his face and make something I want to buy or they do not. Either way, it doesn’t affect me.
That UBI guy is on thin ice. Thats why he's pissed. The company is going down the toilet, with a possible last gasp of Chinese Tencent overtaking them.

Since he's got a monetization nickel and dimer job, his revenue metrics will drop like a rock the worse and worse UBI games sell. So it looks bad on him and the company. He wont be able to brag about absolute dollar metrics (dollar growth). When absolute dollars sink into the sand, his best metrics to promote will be % based like mtx revenue per gamer or % of gamers who bought mtx instead of raw dollars like $1,000,000 vs last year at $850,000. He wont have enough pure user base as sales units of stuff like Skull & Bones, Outlaws and very likely AC Shadows are low.

Last edited:

Tams

You don’t have to take responsibility for anything but your own actions, which includes wishing harm and hardship on anyone (if you are).

Is I/we the they/them equivalent for the mob?
Bruh, you're almost as bad as him.

We did literally nothing, yet apparently we bear a share of the responsibility. Fuuuuuuuck oooooofffffff.

People need to grow thicker skins. I don't care about the lives of the people who make most of what I buy and use, and in turn I'm fine with them not caring about my life. Authorities exist to do that caring, and my contribution and responsibility is and ends at voting and paying my taxes.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
If Ubisoft gotta fall to prove a point, then I say good riddance. These merchants have become too arrogant. They've forgotten that the customer is always right. And what's with all this crying about "wishing"? If we don't buy their products then they fall. That's not a wish, it's an inevitable.

Last edited:

DryvBy

GZDk7tLbYAAnyjh
Tell your company to stop being racist.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It's actually better to have a good "monetization director" who has experience and know his stuff. Because to make game earn money with a good faith from players is tricky and if it's a some novice random guy who are in charge of financial side you are much more likely to see predatory practices (as they are obvious "easy money" and require knowledge to understand their long-term detrimental impact) or financial failure of a game, both of them are bad.

What makes you think he’s not a novice? Ubi Soft is one of the worst offenders when it comes to monetization. They tried pushing NFTs down our throats too.

Wildebeest

I can't tell you how many times I woke up in the morning feeling extreme joy at just being alive because the monetisation director at Ubisoft was so uplifting.

Top Bottom