• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 117 - Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen - LIVE on PPV 8/7 - 7pm PT/10pm ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nameless

8727324.gif

SPIDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER!!!

Rooting for Sonnen.

If he wins the post-fight interview will be incredible. May even beat Brock Lesnar's after he took the belt :lol

Exilexc

Banned
I'll have my week complete if silva wins by a knockout.. which he probably will.

I love all the smack sonnen is talking though.. makes me think.

Bishman

timetokill said:
Rooting for Sonnen.

If he wins the post-fight interview will be incredible. May even beat Brock Lesnar's after he took the belt :lol
Everyone deep down inside is wishing for this. :lol

Nameless said:
8727324.gif

SPIDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER!!!
Mean mugging the shit out of him.

I don't think Chael has a chance unless he miraculously improved his sub defense, but anything can happen. Anderson's BJJ is underrated though, he subbed Hendo easily which even Big Nog, a HW, struggled to do. I don't know why people pretend he isn't a capable ground fighter.

Nameless

Roy looks in pretty good shape--at least compared to how he usually looks. :lol Hopefully he pulls it out. JDS is a beast, though.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
What the fuck is Alves doing?

I like Silva's facial hair, lol. u better be that tough to wear that.

I can't take Sonnen's trash talk seriously. I'm pretty sure he gets a cut of buys and Silva isn't going to do any promotion work.

BamYouHaveAids said:
Mean mugging the shit out of him.

I don't think Chael has a chance unless he miraculously improved his sub defense, but anything can happen. Anderson's BJJ is underrated though, he subbed Hendo easily which even Big Nog, a HW, struggled to do. I don't know why people pretend he isn't a capable ground fighter.

Well to be fair Hendo was doing very well on the ground in the first round and Anderson couldn't do much from his back. Hendo's downfall was when he decided to stand up and trade with Anderson and THEN got rocked and THEN got tooled on the ground and giving his back. At that point Hendo already seemed quite gassed as well. Travis Lutter was also doing good on the ground before completely gassing out.

So, not to take anything away from Anderson, but his ground game certainly ain't as good as his striking and it's not as glorious as the records might make it look like. It's definitely possible for a good wrestler to hold him down and ground and pound him. If Chael Sonnen can survive Silva's shots and get close to him early on in every round, this should make for a very interesting fight. Although, like you said, Sonnen remains very susceptible to sub attempts.

fiz

Neo Member
I will never forgive Silva for the bullshit he pulled with Maia, fucking disgusting. I hope Sonnen crushes him with his take downs.

Fafnir

My buddy and I was planning on going to this but I got too much work to do =/

Anderson Silva vs Chael Sonnen
Only way Sonnen wins is if he has a good chin, get's Anderson to the ground, and not get submitted from top position. Anderson's ground game is pretty underrated as he just too beast on his feet. Silva by knee KO.

Jon Fitch Vs Thiago Alves
I think Thiago has improved more and he's hungry to avenge his loss.

Matt Hughes Vs Ricardo Almeida
I always pick against Hughes, still waiting for someone to retire him.

Roy Nelson Vs Junior Dos Santos
I don't think Nelson can get JDS in his belly crucifix. JDS by KO.

NinjaCodah said:
Well to be fair Hendo was doing very well on the ground in the first round and Anderson couldn't do much from his back. Hendo's downfall was when he decided to stand up and trade with Anderson and THEN got rocked and THEN got tooled on the ground and giving his back. At that point Hendo already seemed quite gassed as well. Travis Lutter was also doing good on the ground before completely gassing out.

So, not to take anything away from Anderson, but his ground game certainly ain't as good as his striking and it's not as glorious as the records might make it look like. It's definitely possible for a good wrestler to hold him down and ground and pound him. If Chael Sonnen can survive Silva's shots and get close to him early on in every round, this should make for a very interesting fight. Although, like you said, Sonnen remains very susceptible to sub attempts.
Hendo and Lutter have MUCH better sub defense than Sonnen. Not surprising consider he claims not to train Jujitsu.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Lorenzo Fertitta looking a little choked about Alves missing weight again.

160rmzq.jpg

:lol

Anyhoo my picks for tomorrow

Silva vs. Sonnen
- Sonnen is either getting knocked the flying fuck out or submitted on the ground. It's MMA and anything can happen but yea, Sonnen is proper fucked.

Fitch vs. Alves
- Fitch will do what he always does, drag Alves down and grind on him for 15 minutes.

Nelson vs. Dos Santos
- Dos Santos's ground game remains a big question mark, but his striking is so good that I can't seem him not landing clean on Nelson's chin at some point during the fight.

Hughes vs. Almeida
- Prime Hughes would take this easy but he's really slowed down in recent years so I think Almeida will be able to outwork him.

Guida vs. Dos Anjos
- Guida by caveman blanket attack.

Story vs. Hazelett
- Hazelett by crazy ass jits.

Davis vs. Wallace
- Davis's wrestling will lead him to another decision win.

Boetch vs. Brown
- Outside of his debut Boetch has looked pretty lame, but he has experience under the big lights whereas Brown doesn't so I think he can take this.

Brennerman vs. Hendricks
- Hendricks is a crazy little wrecking machine, I think his kryptonite will be a solid accurate striker, but Brennerman isn't that.

Struve vs. Morecraft
- Never seen Morecraft so I'll go with the known entity.

Saunders vs. Hallman
- Saunders isn't so good on the ground, Hallman is, so I think he'll pull off the upset here.

Still 2 hours out from oaktown.. My buddy in frisco is at a bar hanging with Dana and some of the fighters and I won't get in town till like 130am, god dammit.

You know how some movies exaggerate the ghetto parts of LA like there is some kind of crazy altercation on every street block with cops everywhere being overwhelmed?

Oakland is the real life version of that exaggeration, holy FUCK this is ghetto.

Salazar

polyh3dron said:
Oakland is the real life version of that exaggeration, holy FUCK this is ghetto.

Oakland's last appearance on GAF was that Hieronymus Bosch-esque vid Bish posted with the pregnant woman scrapping outside Burger King.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
polyh3dron said:
You know how some movies exaggerate the ghetto parts of LA like there is some kind of crazy altercation on every street block with cops everywhere being overwhelmed?

ha, this is exactly right. horrible place.

Salazar said:
Oakland's last appearance on GAF was that Hieronymus Bosch-esque vid Bish posted with the pregnant woman scrapping outside Burger King.
Yeah I saw that but figured it was an extraordinary occurrence, anecdotal evidence, etc etc. But srsly, shit was popping off everywhere simultaneously out here, it was surreal. Don't Be A Menace style.

But yeah I'm hitting the arena at 3:30 pm tomorrow and then i got an invite to a big afterparty in frisco after. Tomorrow will be AWESOME.

Asbel

akachan ningen said:
He loses 20% of his pay. :p
now i wouldn't mind if fitch dry humps him up a weight class. He has no reason to stay at ww if he loses to fitch again and he's had too much horse food for ww anyway.

Pimpwerx

Nocebo said:
No respect for fighters that don't make weight. What the poop, it's your job to be in shape right?
I'm bothered by this too. WTF doesn't Dana just make him fight at a higher weight class? He's not doing right by the company or the fans, and he's not even looking impressive, even overweight. WTF does Dana even see in Alves? PEACE.

Brian Fellows said:
I like that Anderson wore a pink shirt.

And his hat backwards and big earrings. :lol

Sonnen's insulted Silva every which way possible, from his blackhouse team, to the nogueira brothers, to his (lack) of english, to the way he dresses.

I don't see how Spider could not be motivated for this fight.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
dvdjamm said:
Did anyone hear Sonnen on Jim Rome deny saying that Lance Armstrong gave himself cancer on purpose?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpcB-TGjArs

:lol :lol

I can't believe he actually used the "some hispanic guy" defense. I hope Silva shatters every bone in Sonnen's face. I want him to be hurting for six months after this fight. I'm not even cheering for a good fight like I do every other night. Nine times out of ten, I couldn't care less who wins. The exceptions are when guys don't make weight or otherwise disrespects the sport and the fans, or right now when I hope the back of Sonnen's skull becomes a permanent fixture in the logo of whoever the primary sponsor is tonight.

Zeliard

The best thing about that fight won't be Silva effectively removing Sonnen's face, it'll be the victory dance he does afterwards. And possibly during.

fiz

Neo Member
:lol All the Sonnen hate is great. Despite saying absolutely ridiculous shit outside the ring at least he doesn't dance around and completely disrespect fighters in the cage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom