• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 117 - Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen - LIVE on PPV 8/7 - 7pm PT/10pm ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asbel

VASPER said:
The only thing that worries me about Chael is that some one like Jeremy Horn has subed him 3 times, and Chael thinks he has a chance with Anderson Silva's guard.
Horn is better than Silva on the ground man.

VASPER

Banned
Asbel said:
Horn is better than Silva on the ground man.

You think so, Nate subed him and handled him way better on the ground. IDK you may be right but i just don't think Chael is all that great to begin with and would have rather have seen Nate fight Anderson again.

dvdjamm

dem said:
Phil Davis looks fucking bizarre...

14_PhilDavisUFC117w.jpg

It made me think of this

bruce-lee-lats.jpg

Rur0ni said:
Anyone should be able to read Sonnen's trash talk. You can look right past it and see a decent guy.
Has he ever behaved differently? I can't say I have been following him outside of his past few fights. But as Dana White himself pointed out, Sonnen has always said ridiculous (and sometimes insulting) things.

It is hardly something he just drummed up for the current fight. Outside of that, he has taking shots against Ed Soares and Blackhouse/Brazillians (piglet tribe comment), Lance Armstrong, and so on. It is not just directed at Silva.

Fio

If that card wasn't good enough as it is, I just knew it'll be broadcasted for free here in Brazil, I love it. :D

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Anyone see Sonnen's interview on IMMA accusing Anderson of greasing?

edit: holy shit @ the odds

Silva -500 Sonnen +325

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Fio said:
If that card wasn't good enough as it is, I just knew it'll be broadcasted for free here in Brazil, I love it. :D
Which channel ? i have some brazilian channels on my cable

dem said:
Phil Davis looks fucking bizarre...

14_PhilDavisUFC117w.jpg

I'm thinking about putting money on hughes..
I don't have time to make the zoom in gif, but there is clearly a demon's face on his torso.
I suppose Chael did his job promoting the fight, because I'm watching to hopefully see his face caved in.

BSsBrolly

Banned
I want to order this ppv but I'm afraid all the fights are gonna be lnp fests. Each and every fight has the potential to be boring because of the styles of half the fighters. Eh, I might still order it..

Prelim results:

Hallman is dominating Saunders Sonnen style. He easily took the first 2 rounds.

Prepare for a shitty crowd, any time this fight hits the ground we get lots of boos.

Hallman wins by decision.

Struve vs Morecraft

Morecraft is GNPing the shit out if Struve. He easily took the 1st HOOOOOOOLY SHIT STRUVE KOs Morecraft!!!!!

pel1300

Zeliard said:
Ali also said some legitimately horrible things, especially about Joe Frazier, and has apologized many times for them.

Sonnen's trash-talk is incendiary. It doesn't even qualify as trash-talk, because it isn't being done in the spirit of competition. He's just an asshole. Hell, even long before Silva, he made comments like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG0v1ZVxItg

There's nothing to defend about this guy.

if that video offends you then you need a sense of humor :lol

This is Chael's shtick, the ignorant country boy Republican who looks down on foreigners. It works so well at pissing people off. and yes it has been going on for long past Silva.

pel1300

Zeliard said:
See him calling Soares out for his translation in the press conference, out of absolutely nowhere? It came off as angry and made that entire room uncomfortable. :lol

Ok that confirms it, you seem to have trouble interpreting things. :lol

Made that entire room uncomfortable?? Dana and many others were cracking up, they thought it was hilarious.

And you think Chael was actually angry? lol, he loves to make fun of Soares.

Chill out. You're taking this all way too seriously.

Zeliard

pel1300 said:
if that video offends you then you need a sense of humor :lol

The sense of humor of a right-winger? Naw, I don't need that. Nobody does.

It isn't terribly offensive to me - just further proof that Sonnen is a shitbag.

pel1300 said:
Ok that confirms it, you seem to have trouble interpreting things. :lol

Made that entire room uncomfortable?? Dana and many others were cracking up, they thought it was hilarious.

Like two people in the room laughed, after a pause. His comment came out of nowhere, so people were naturally taken aback, since they're normal human beings.

At least if you're going to defend him, go with "pre-fight hype." I prefer "asshole who makes Anderson Silva look like Sportsman of the Year." I don't hate heels at all - Brock and Koscheck are both entertaining and amusing. Sonnen uses the heel method of saying literally whatever he can to get a reaction, which is pretty much at the level of your typical 12-year old internet troll. This gets him a lot of fans on Sherdog. :lol

Tonight will be fun.

Rur0ni

polyh3dron said:
Prelim results:

Hallman is dominating Saunders Sonnen style. He easily took the first 2 rounds.

Prepare for a shitty crowd, any time this fight hits the ground we get lots of boos.

Hallman wins by decision.

Struve vs Morecraft

Morecraft is GNPing the shit out if Struve. He easily took the 1st HOOOOOOOLY SHIT STRUVE KOs Morecraft!!!!!
Struve vs. Morecraft

Round 2 - Struve's lower lip busted up. Morecraft touches gloves, but Struve attacks off that with a kick. No matter. Morecraft fires bombs. Toe-to-toe trading and both score. A straight right buckles Morecraft. The big man collapses and Struve pounces with some eight punches to the face of a defenseless Morecraft. Dean stops it. Amazing comeback, and the arena goes nuts. Morecraft's arm was pinned underneath him as Struve delivered those final shots. Brutal. Stefan Struve def. Christian Morecraft via TKO (punches) - Round 1, 0:22.

pel1300

Zeliard said:
The sense of humor of a right-winger? Naw, I don't need that. Nobody does.

It isn't terribly offensive to me - just further proof that Sonnen is a shitbag.

Like two people in the room laughed, after a pause. His comment came out of nowhere, so people were naturally taken aback, since they're normal human beings.

At least if you're going to defend him, go with "pre-fight hype." I prefer "asshole who makes Anderson Silva look like Sportsman of the Year." I don't hate heels at all - Brock and Koscheck are both entertaining and amusing. Sonnen uses the heel method of saying literally whatever he can to get a reaction, which is pretty much at the level of your typical 12-year old internet troll. This gets him a lot of fans on Sherdog. :lol

Tonight will be fun.

You're just not getting it. You are taking it WAY TOO SERIOUSLY.

In reality, yes, Chael is a republican. Yes he is a country boy type. But that is where it ends. He isn't xenophobic like the character he plays. He doesn't think he is the best fighter either. In real interviews where he isn't in character, he is pretty humble and even admits things such as Okami tooling him in training.

Notice how Chael doesn't smile when he trash talks in interviews on MMA Live or other shows? He tries to keep a straight or angry looking face.

In the press conference, when he was saying that "I got 99.6 percent of the vote", he said it in a harsh tone with a frown on his face, then Ariel mentions "that was when you ran unopposed?". Then Chael couldn't help but crack up slightly. That was him breaking character.

Joe Rogan gets a real kick ouf of Chael's trolling style. Joe Rogan is as liberal as you can get, but he finds Chael Sonnen's shtick pretty amusing. Ariel Helwani is a pretty big fan of his style as well. Even Jim Rome, up until the Lance armstrong thing, found Chael to be hilarious, as did the MMA Live crew. You must think they are all the equivalent of a 12 yr old sherdog troll?

Rur0ni

pel1300 said:
In reality, yes, Chael is a republican. Yes he is a country boy type. But that is where it ends. He isn't xenophobic like the character he plays.
That's my thought as well.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Chael is a heel.
I find it amusing. Not CM Punk amusing though.

But i like the guy, he knows how to 'get over'.
Silva by armbar.

EDIT: BTW i like Joe Rogan. :3

Zeliard

pel1300 said:
You're just not getting it. You are taking it WAY TOO SERIOUSLY.

In reality, yes, Chael is a republican. Yes he is a country boy type. But that is where it ends. He isn't xenophobic like the character he plays.

Notice how Chael doesn't smile when he trash talks in interviews on MMA Live or other shows? He tries to keep a straight or angry looking face.

In the press conference, when he was saying that "I got 99.6 percent of the vote", he said it in a harsh tone with a frown on his face, then Ariel mentions "that was when you ran unopposed?". Then Chael couldn't help but crack up slightly. That was him breaking character.

Joe Rogan gets a real kick ouf of Chael's trolling style. Joe Rogan is as liberal as you can get, but he finds Chael Sonnen's shtick pretty amusing. You must think he the equivalent of a 12 yr old sherdog troll?

I really don't think I'm taking this as seriously as you seem to want me to be. :lol

Look, I just think Sonnen is a complete asshole, and I've already stated why. It's obvious he's hyping the fight. I don't care about that - it's the comments he's making, not the hyping up/trash-talking aspect. Almost every fighter talks smack pre-fight. Not everybody, however, is willing to stoop so low to sell tickets. That's what sets Sonnen apart, for better AND worse.

The defense of him as putting on an "act" is totally irrelevant. The act is what is getting the criticism.

I can think Sonnen is an asshole, you can think gay jokes are hee-larious, and somehow, we can still both enjoy tonight's fight. :) Though if you're a Sonnen fan you may not enjoy it as much!

Fersis

Rewatching Lesnar Vs Carwin:

Joe Rogan: Carwin is fine.
* Carwin's taps out *

Brock absorbed a crazy amount of killer punches.

pel1300

Zeliard said:
I really don't think I'm taking this as seriously as you seem to want me to be. :lol

Look, I just think Sonnen is a complete asshole, and I've already stated why. It's obvious he's hyping the fight. I don't care about that - it's the comments he's making, not the hyping up/trash-talking aspect. Almost every fighter talks smack pre-fight. Not everybody, however, is willing to stoop so low to sell tickets. That's what sets Sonnen apart, for better AND worse.

The defense of him as putting on an "act" is totally irrelevant. The act is what is getting the criticism.

I can think Sonnen is an asshole, you can think gay jokes are hee-larious, and somehow, we can still both enjoy tonight's fight. :) Though if you're a Sonnen fan you may not enjoy it as much!

And yet you find Brock and Koscheck amusing. Brock who is actually serious about his hatred of Frank Mir, gets in his face when he is still wobbly/out of it, then flicks off the crowd? That is not "stooping low" hype himself?

Koscheck, who says things like "Matt Hughes is slow, he's a farm boy and he's white" is amusing to you? Hell he wasn't even fighting Hughes and he said that. Chael's remarks aren't anywhere near as blatant as that.

Consistency, my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom