• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 117 - Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen - LIVE on PPV 8/7 - 7pm PT/10pm ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

pel1300

Archaix said:
:lol :lol

I can't believe he actually used the "some hispanic guy" defense. I hope Silva shatters every bone in Sonnen's face. I want him to be hurting for six months after this fight. I'm not even cheering for a good fight like I do every other night. Nine times out of ten, I couldn't care less who wins. The exceptions are when guys don't make weight or otherwise disrespects the sport and the fans, or right now when I hope the back of Sonnen's skull becomes a permanent fixture in the logo of whoever the primary sponsor is tonight.

seems like you are taking prefight hype is little too seriously :rolleyes:

fiz said:
:lol All the Sonnen hate is great. Despite saying absolutely ridiculous shit outside the ring at least he doesn't dance around and completely disrespect fighters in the cage.
This. It's just like Dana said, we don't pay for what a fighter does outside of the cage so they can do whatever they want. We pay to see them fight inside of it though.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
pel1300 said:
seems like you are taking prefight hype is little too seriously :rolleyes:

Sonnen is a jackass. There's prefight hype, and then there's this idiot who hasn't shut up since the fight got booked. I hate that he's putting on this act in the first place. I'm not falling for the act, it's the act itself that is getting me annoyed. If you don't actually have a personality and can't be entertaining without becoming a cartoon character, then shut up and get ready for the fight.

Hex

Banned
Sonnen has done nothing to earn the right to run his mouth as much as he has been.
The best?
Seriously?
You earn some cred, then run your mouth if you must.

HiResDes

polyh3dron said:
This. It's just like Dana said, we don't pay for what a fighter does outside of the cage so they can do whatever they want. We pay to see them fight inside of it though.
He doesn't because he can't.

Archaix said:
Sonnen is a jackass. There's prefight hype, and then there's this idiot who hasn't shut up since the fight got booked. I hate that he's putting on this act in the first place. I'm not falling for the act, it's the act itself that is getting me annoyed. If you don't actually have a personality and can't be entertaining without becoming a cartoon character, then shut up and get ready for the fight.
Sonnen does this to get people like you pissed off, and it works phenomenal. The hate for him is beyond the Anderson Silva hate now, but he knows it's the only way that most people will care about an Anderson Silva fight.

Zeliard

I know a lot of people hate Fitch's style but I'm excited for his rematch with Alves, since I think Alves has improved a lot since their first fight. Just annoyed that Alves missed weight again. :/ Still love that dude, though.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
NinjaCodah said:
Sonnen does this to get people like you pissed off, and it works phenomenal. The hate for him is beyond the Anderson Silva hate now, but he knows it's the only way that most people will care about an Anderson Silva fight.

Good for him. I'd already decided I won't be buying the event because of Sonnen. I'm always interested in an Anderson Silva fight because there's a chance that he'll show why he's one of the best fighters on the planet. Sonnen does nothing to increase my anticipation for the fight, he makes me completely uninterested in putting out any money for it. I want him to get humiliated and go away forever. I've never wanted to watch a Sonnen fight before, and this hasn't helped.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Do people not understand that Sonnen running his mouth is head games? :lol

I see so much bitching about him running his mouth but really your doing what he hopes Silva does, get mad and over commit to something so that take down will come easier.

does that mean it is going to? No but you have to give it to the guy for gambling like this, he either pisses Silva off enough to hopefully catch him or he did it enough to have Silva pumped to wreck him. :lol

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Not a Jellyfish said:
Do people not understand that Sonnen running his mouth is head games? :lol

I see so much bitching about him running his mouth but really your doing what he hopes Silva does, get mad and over commit to something so that take down will come easier.

does that mean it is going to? No but you have to give it to the guy for gambling like this, he either pisses Silva off enough to hopefully catch him or he did it enough to have Silva pumped to wreck him. :lol

Silva is in Sonnen's head, not the other way around. And he did it without saying a word. Sonnen is scared shitless about this fight and is running his mouth to cover up that fact. If it weren't true, he wouldn't have a facial expression asking for a new pair of shorts in the staredown gif above. Everything he does reeks of trying too hard.

Zeliard

Silva is pretty much the master of playing mind games with his opponent. It's laughable to think he's going to be jarred by Chael's bottom-of-the-barrel comments. If anything, they lit a fire under his ass, so he won't be all lackadaisical like he can get when his opponent poses no legitimate challenge.

Cant believe Chael has been so good at getting under some peoples skin. Some of you guys have really gotta start taking pre fight talk with a grain of salt. He's just selling the fight.

Zeliard

Chael isn't being criticized for hyping the fight, but for the specific comments he's making. Nobody cares when anybody else talks shit pre-fight, which happens almost every time. The reason people do with Chael is because of what he is actually saying. There's hyping a fight and then there's spewing whatever verbal diarrhea happens to be flowing around in your head.

Zeliard said:
Chael isn't being criticized for hyping the fight, but for the specific comments he's making. Nobody cares when anybody else talks shit pre-fight, which happens almost every time. The reason people do with Chael is because of what he is actually saying. There's hyping a fight and then there's spewing whatever verbal diarrhea happens to be flowing around in your head.

But the only reason hes saying any of those things is to build hype surely. Are people even aware of the stuff Ali used to say before fights? Its how you make money and build up an image in this sport. The fact is that Chael will have brought up PPV buys with his trash talking, and the ufc needs that, considering how poor of a draw Anderson is for a champ.

Zeliard

Dagless M.D. said:
But the only reason hes saying any of those things is to build hype surely. Are people even aware of the stuff Ali used to say before fights? Its how you make money and build up an image in this sport. The fact is that Chael will have brought up PPV buys with his trash talking, and the ufc needs that, considering how poor of a draw Anderson is for a champ.

Ali also said some legitimately horrible things, especially about Joe Frazier, and has apologized many times for them.

Sonnen's trash-talk is incendiary. It doesn't even qualify as trash-talk, because it isn't being done in the spirit of competition. He's just an asshole. Hell, even long before Silva, he made comments like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG0v1ZVxItg

There's nothing to defend about this guy.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Archaix said:
Silva is in Sonnen's head, not the other way around. And he did it without saying a word. Sonnen is scared shitless about this fight and is running his mouth to cover up that fact. If it weren't true, he wouldn't have a facial expression asking for a new pair of shorts in the staredown gif above. Everything he does reeks of trying too hard.

I didn't know that showing no expression meant you were asking for a new pair of shorts. I am sorry. :lol

Zeliard said:
Ali also said some legitimately horrible things, especially about Joe Frazier, and has apologized many times for them.

Sonnen's trash-talk is incendiary. It doesn't even qualify as trash-talk, because it isn't being done in the spirit of competition. He's just an asshole. Hell, even long before Silva, he made comments like this:

Its clear that our opinions differ on this, but i really just view Chael's antics as hyping the fight. Something Anderson seems to be incapable of doing. If it gets more people to watch the fight, i don't really care.

dem

Phil Davis looks fucking bizarre...

14_PhilDavisUFC117w.jpg

I'm thinking about putting money on hughes..

Zeliard said:

That is stupid. All trash talk is incendiary-Ali, a man people hold as the best trash talker in competitive sports, routinely called his opponents uncle toms and said they looked like gorillas. I like Silva but remove the tampon. Sonnen's trash talking isn't any different from any other athlete except for the fact he can't back it up.

dem said:
Phil Davis looks fucking bizarre...

14_PhilDavisUFC117w.jpg
Shoulders and lats of a 250 pound man with the lats of teenager, looks freaky.

Hex

Banned
Dagless M.D. said:

Or, he is saying them because he is an idiot who believes his own spouting off.

Ryck

Sonnen is just selling the fight as others have said. There are certain things he has said that are pretty insulting "people like that get run out of my neighborhood" or something to that effect was kinda derogatory to people I could see that. It's just along the lines of ignorant or even bordering bigoted so I could see why it's really bothering people. I think it has served it's purpose in selling the fight but I get that people don't like the guy now. I'm hoping Silva embarrasses him, just to hear his response to it.

Zeliard

BamYouHaveAids said:
That is stupid. All trash talk is incendiary

lol.

Gary Payton would like a word with you, as would countless other athletes. Incendiary doesn't mean what you think it means in this context.

BamYouHaveAids said:
Ali, a man people hold as the best trash talker in competitive sports, routinely called his opponents uncle toms and said they looked like gorillas. I like Silva but remove the tampon. Sonnen's trash talking isn't any different from any other athlete except for the fact he can't back it up.

I literally just wrote that Ali said horrible things that he apologized for, i.e. that those aren't exactly very defensible either. You're defending Chael Sonnen by pointing out that Ali once called people Uncle Toms and said they look like gorillas. Yeah.

If Sonnen's trash talk wasn't any different from most athletes, then he wouldn't be getting all this attention, obviously. Most athletes don't generally call people out from sports that are completely unrelated to their own to say things like "they gave themselves cancer", and insult/threaten entire groups of minorities, all to hype a fight.

Hex said:
Or, he is saying them because he is an idiot who believes his own spouting off.

Really think you're being quite gullible. I think hes quite aware about how ridiculous some of his trash talking is.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Dagless M.D. said:
Really think you're being quite gullible. I think hes quite aware about how ridiculous some of his trash talking is.
exactly. it's so damn over the top, im amazed its being taken any other way

Zeliard said:
lol.

Gary Payton would like a word with you, as would countless other athletes. Incendiary doesn't mean what you think it means in this context.

I literally just wrote that Ali said horrible things that he apologized for, i.e. that those aren't exactly very defensible either. You're defending Chael Sonnen by pointing out that Ali once called people Uncle Toms and said they look like gorillas. Yeah.

If Sonnen's trash talk wasn't any different from most athletes, then he wouldn't be getting all this attention, obviously. Most athletes don't generally call people out from sports that are completely unrelated to their own to say things like "they gave themselves cancer", and insult/threaten entire groups of minorities, all to hype a fight.
It isn't different from most athletes in the realm of independently represented fighting corporations. Boxers and to a lesser extent MMA fighters represent them self and not a major league or franchise and therefore are given more leeway in what they can say. Trash talk in boxing and MMA are different from conventional organized sports, because the fighter for the most part represents their image and not the brand, hence why fighters like Mayweather and Mir can say things that would most likely get themselves suspended in a mainstream sport.

Sonnen's trash talk is line with the likes of Mayweather, Mir etc... and I don't even like the guy.

Chesskid1

Banned
i don't know much about MMA but i've been watching the prefight hype stuff and they keep saying sonnen-anderson is a great fight stylistically and sonnen has a chance because of this, but hasn't silva fought a ton of guys like sonnen before him and destroyed them over and over? jus tryin to clarify, thanks. :D i've never heard of sonnen before this fight.

sefskillz said:
exactly. it's so damn over the top, im amazed its being taken any other way
He managed to take some of the Anderson Silva hate off with his antics, no wonder it's confusing a lot of Silva fans. But fans are fans. Silva's fans will refuse to understand Chael's sense of humor as much as the Silva haters will refuse to understand all the dancing in the octagon.

Zeliard

BamYouHaveAids said:
Sonnen's trash talk is line with the likes of Mayweather, Mir etc... and I don't even like the guy.

That's where we'll have to agree to disagree, I guess. There is probably nobody on the planet, athlete or otherwise, that runs his mouth as much as Mayweather does, but I've never heard him spew the type of shit that has come out of Sonnen's mouth.

Mayweather's trash-talking is mostly focused on saying that he's way better than everybody. He doesn't tend to make things oddly personal the way Sonnen does.

See him calling Soares out for his translation in the press conference, out of absolutely nowhere? It came off as angry and made that entire room uncomfortable. :lol

But I'm not going to belabor the point. I'm ready to see him get whooped tonight. :p

Rur0ni

Chesskid1 said:
i don't know much about MMA but i've been watching the prefight hype stuff and they keep saying sonnen-anderson is a great fight stylistically and sonnen has a chance because of this, but hasn't silva fought a ton of guys like sonnen before him and destroyed them over and over? jus tryin to clarify, thanks. :D
Cote, Leites, Griffin, Franklin, Marquardt, Irvin and Maia do not fit that fold.

Closest thing is Hendo or Lutter. And they were somewhat successful at exploiting Anderson's weak TDD (as far as I know). Sonnen shouldn't gas, and is smart enough not to stand and bang. I'm sure he's gonna eat some shots, but assuming he can get the takedowns and not get submitted, he could grind it out.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Chesskid1 said:
i don't know much about MMA but i've been watching the prefight hype stuff and they keep saying sonnen-anderson is a great fight stylistically and sonnen has a chance because of this, but hasn't silva fought a ton of guys like sonnen before him and destroyed them over and over? jus tryin to clarify, thanks. :D i've never heard of sonnen before this fight.

Not really. Dan Henderson arguably has a better wrestling pedigree than Sonnen, but doesn't use his wrestling in MMA as a weapon as much as he could/should. In his UFC run, he's faced primarily strikes and jiu jitsu experts.

HiResDes

Rur0ni said:
Cote, Leites, Griffin, Franklin, Marquardt, Irvin and Maia do not fit that fold.

Closest thing is Hendo or Lutter. And they were somewhat successful at exploiting Anderson's weak TDD (as far as I know). Sonnen shouldn't gas, and is smart enough not to stand and bang. I'm sure he's gonna eat some shots, but assuming he can get the takedowns and not get submitted, he could grind it out.
Silva doesn't have to stand to win, that's what everyone doesn't seem to understand.

HiResDes said:
Silva doesn't have to stand to win, that's what everyone doesn't seem to understand.
This. With the exception of Irvin everyone of those fighters has better sub defense than Sonnen. I don't know why people ignore that.

Zeliard

Rur0ni said:

If Sonnen tries to sit in Anderson's guard all day then he's going to eat his share of elbows to the head and face. Anderson could even submit him from his guard ala vs. Lutter, via a triangle and continuous punches/elbows. I'm hoping that happens just so he can punish Sonnen. ;)

Chesskid1 said:

Andersons only really faced one really good wrestler in his career so far, and thats Dan Henderson, who was the only guy to take a round from Anderson in the ufc. Sonnen is of similar wrestling caliber as Dan, and as such could definitely pose a threat to Anderson. The only thing is that Anderson choked out Dan at the end of the second round in their fight, and Sonnen's defensive bjj has looked suspect in the past. So yeah, Sonnen could come out with a decision victory, but Anderson could finish him at any stage of the fight.

Zeliard

Dagless M.D. said:
Andersons only really faced one really good wrestler in his career so far, and thats Dan Henderson, who was the only guy to take a round from Anderson in the ufc.

Lutter took the first round off him, too.

Lutter out of anybody in the UFC was probably in the best position to actually win, because at one point in the first he had full mount and was raining down shots on Silva's face, but it wasn't enough.

Rur0ni

Well I've already set the condition that he doesn't get submitted while on the ground, so by mere mention I'm not ignoring that. Only saying that he has a real chance to win compared to Anderson's last 4 opponents or so.

HiResDes

Rur0ni said:
Well I've already set the condition that he doesn't get submitted while on the ground, so by mere mention I'm not ignoring that. Only saying that he has a real chance to win compared to Anderson's last 4 opponents or so.
oh my fault dude, wasn't following the discussion meticulously enough.

Zeliard

The best part about Silva vs. Sonnen is going to be that point everyone recognizes, perhaps in Round 2 or so, where Silva starts hulking up and getting all animated and aggressive, and then the fight is over like 10 seconds later.

Zeliard said:
Lutter took the first round off him, too.

Lutter out of anybody in the UFC was probably in the best position to actually win, because at one point in the first he had full mount and was raining down shots on Silva's face, but it wasn't enough.

Completely forgot about that fight, but yeah Lutter actually did rather well for a bit. Still Anderson stopped him in the second with a submission, and Lutter has far better BJJ than Sonnen, some might even call him the Michael Jordan of Jiu Jitsu.

VASPER

Banned
The only thing that worries me about Chael is that some one like Jeremy Horn has subed him 3 times, and Chael thinks he has a chance with Anderson Silva's guard.

Pimpwerx

Hex said:
Sonnen has done nothing to earn the right to run his mouth as much as he has been.
The best?
Seriously?
You earn some cred, then run your mouth if you must.
I want Silva to win, but I don't understand this sentiment. Sonnen did a damn great job promoting what is otherwise a boring fight. Thanks to him, we don't really have to ask if Anderson is motivated this time. If Silva can't get motivated after that, Dana should strip him.

Sonnen is doing his job to sell tickets and PPV buys. If he gets demolished in the end, so be it. He was probably gonna lose anyway. I'm sure Dana loves his motor mouth. :lol PEACE.

Hex

Banned
Pimpwerx said:
I want Silva to win, but I don't understand this sentiment. Sonnen did a damn great job promoting what is otherwise a boring fight. Thanks to him, we don't really have to ask if Anderson is motivated this time. If Silva can't get motivated after that, Dana should strip him.

Sonnen is doing his job to sell tickets and PPV buys. If he gets demolished in the end, so be it. He was probably gonna lose anyway. I'm sure Dana loves his motor mouth. :lol PEACE.

I definitely agree that Dana is loving it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom