• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 194 + Fight Week |OT| The leprechaun finally gets his gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB1981

So the main card doesn't start til 10pm which means the Edgar-Mendes fight won't go off til around midnight right?

DKehoe

Both guys look really dehydrated but Connor just looks like a different person. Not surprising that both have been talking about going to 155.

He didn't look as bad as last time, but yeah if he wins this he's got a few defended at best before he's not fighting in this weight class.

Aldo looks good, I want Conor to win but if he doesn't the next contender is back to the same guys merry go round that Aldo will just destroy.

VoxPop

Somehow we made it all the way here with every important fighter intact. As long as Aldo doesn't trip in the bathroom we are about to witness one of the most stacked cards of all time. I think the tame weigh-ins are going to lead to a night of wars. HYPE

ldcommando

Banned
About aldo, brazilian mma outlets are reporting that this one was one of his easiest weight cuts ever. So if he loses, that is one excuse he won´t be able to use.

TenseClutteredChameleon.gif

JB1981

Ridiculous how thin these guys have to get. What can they do legally to bulk up in between? Can they get fluids via IV?

Ridiculous how thin these guys have to get. What can they do legally to bulk up in between? Can they get fluids via IV?

A fighter from the ONE FC organisation actually died today from doing a weight cut. Banning IVs is retarded. I know Aldo did say he'd ignore the ban and use them anyway. I can't really decide who will win. I think anyone who can confidently say who will win doesn't know what they are talking about.

iv ban can easily be worked around. The test detects the plastic bag. An iv bag can be made of natural materials like sheep skin (like condoms) and not be detected until new tests are created to detect the sheep skin. it's a never ending cat and mouse game.

JB1981

A fighter from the ONE FC organisation actually died today from doing a weight cut. Banning IVs is retarded. I know Aldo did say he'd ignore the ban and use them anyway. I can't really decide who will win. I think anyone who can confidently say who will win doesn't know what they are talking about.

What is the reasoning behind the IV ban anyway?

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
About aldo, brazilian mma outlets are reporting that this one was one of his easiest weight cuts ever. So if he loses, that is one excuse he won´t be able to use.
I don't what it is with people going on about Aldo making excuses, it's not like he's regularly apologising for losses or bad performances. If he loses it's going to be by KO/TKO, in which case he could have had the worst weight cut ever and it probably wouldn't have made much difference.

brentech

What is the reasoning behind the IV ban anyway?
Some really terribly worded explanation from the USADA CEO while on the MMAHour

"...I don't know how closely you've followed our investigation into cycling, but you saw it used a lot in cycling. Because, putting a bag of saline over 50 ml, for example is the rule, would potentially mask or alter the blood testing that was done. And there were examples in there where athletes would put a bag of saline in their arm when they saw the blood collectors coming to collect their blood. And they just delayed reporting for 15 min. So, that was really the purpose behind the rule."
From article:
"Long story short, unless there's a medical emergency a fighter can't use an IV over 50 ml (about the size of a liquor sample bottle) without a TUE, something that more rigorous athletic commissions only tend to give out to people with medical necessities. While that probably won't stop everyone from using the method, the fact that it's use could come down to multi-year suspensions, just like for other infractions of the new UFC drug testing policy, means that the punishment for ignoring these new regulations and getting caught is very very harsh."

Read more: http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/6/2...g-rehydration-fighters-react-unhappy-mma-news

Good news is isis supporters probably stopped watching this in the first question because of the cringe

Time for Aldo x Connor face off #527638:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTUpgAVwrXE
Loved how Aldo messed with his mind at the weight ins with the stance, which in retrospect probably affected Conor even more than what he did to Aldo during this entire thing due to how drained he is mentally and physically so that he could make the weight.

Aldo on the other side looked much better with his cut than previously. I am even more pumped up after the weigh-ins!! Tomorrow is going to be a crazy night, and that's not to say that tonight ain't going to be great either. 3 of the best fights are going to happen tonight in the main card also.

If Aldo wins he should retire on top. He beat Frankie, Chad, possibly McG, even beat contenders multiple times.

Hell no. I want to see Aldo in the cage more often when he wins if anything else. As long as he has the heart to fight, he should continue. That's why it was a good time for GSP to retire, when you question the reason why you're still fighting or if you still have the heart, then it's time to go before something bad happens.

Hoy fucking shit. That's why there should be a limit to how much you can cut and how it should be checked with a doctor. It's ridiculous how much some fighters cut weight and hurt themselves doing so to have a height or weight advantage comes fight day. It's disturbing.

This goes to say I have the biggest of respects for guys like BJ Penn that didn't care about the division they would fight in.

-MD-

18a159.gif

Aldo is a savage lol

If Aldo wins he should retire on top. He beat Frankie, Chad, possibly McG, even beat contenders multiple times.

Can't see it happening, he's already talked about going up to 155 where he has tons of opponents waiting for him and he'll have more eyes on him than ever before after this fight.

Remf

If I would make a bet, I would put it on aldo just because he's been dominate for so long, but I'd prefer it if Connor takes it. Either way, I'll be happy just to see a good scrap between them. And no 39 second quick finish damnit!!

Wife wants to have a romantic dinner tonight. Dammit, I can't say shit cuz she knows I have UFC tomorrow. I can't try to explain that there are great fight tonight, and tomorrow's event is a different set of fights.

Learn to pick your battles boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom