• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 194 + Fight Week |OT| The leprechaun finally gets his gold

Status
Not open for further replies.
totally. when i first got liver shotted in the gym, i couldn't believe how incapacitating it was.

bas rutten is the fucking liver shot goat
Yeah Bas had great timing with them, made his opponents fold like it was nothing lol.

I've only hit one liver punch in my amateur years of boxing and it was in a sparring against a sparring partner I had already spar'd with about 200 hundred times lol. I jab'd then lingered with my right hand in front of his face and while he went for a straight I slipped it and went to the body with a left uppercut. He had a delayed reaction and fell on his knees 2-3 seconds after. Felt good lmao!

Never got pinched by one though, always was paranoid enough to be able to deflect it enough not to crumble on the ground from a liver punch. Did get one of my ribs broken by a guy about 3 weight classes higher than mine though. That felt horrible, and for weeks after still. And some straights right in the solar plexus that stole my wind quite a few times lol. Did gave quite a few of those myself too, those are seriously under used in MMA imo.

dabig2

I will activel y skip all Ryan Hall fights. Cut this scrub . How can you put that fight on adter the awesome barboza/ferg fight.

ApharmdX

Banned
Wow, flash KO. Can't argue the stoppage though.

That was one of the worst UFC fights I have ever seen (TUF finale). If you're going to be a BJJ fighter in MMA, learn wrestling. Pathetic, on both sides...

No way. Toppled like a sack of bricks.

Ref pulled Edgar off before he could unload on his prone corpse.

But he did roll and recover quickly to make it look like he wasn't donezo.

Nah he was still out when he turned on his back, that was the momentum of him crumbling down that acted sort of like a spring and frankie jumping and striking him. He did recover consciousness when the ref pulled in though but it was too little too late.

edit: oh ok you meant the roll he did after everything was already done. Yeah, that's too bad but it is what it is. Guy was out cold and the ref can only judge and act on the moment he sees fit. I don't see it as a controversy at all but you know some will. haha

dreamfall

Frankie Edgar will always be my favorite fighter. Wars. He deserves that shot more than anybody. He's got to check those leg kicks though! Aldo ripped him apart with that!

Frankie Edgar will always be my favorite fighter. Wars. He deserves that shot more than anybody. He's got to check those leg kicks though! Aldo ripped him apart with that!

Yeah even Mendes was a having a ball with the couple leg kicks he threw, Edgar is light on his feet so his legs fly easy from them. I don't see him winning against Aldo though even if he goes up against him again.

I could definitely see him winning against Conor though, maybe not very easy but in great fashion. He's never been against as good footwork as Edgar has nor with the same speed and someone who mixes it so well and is out as fast as he's in with explosions.

brentech

I didn't realize people were unhappy with Hall. I thought it was fine.

More unhappy with Artem. I know he was worried about getting subbed, at a certain point you'd of thought he'd just go for it. There was a time when he was on the ground, legs locked up, but above Hall.....I really thought he could have dropped some bombs on Hall's face. He totally had the range and leverage. He didn't make Hall pay for anything, ever.

So Conor's friend lost the finale and Frankie ko'ed in great fashion Chad quicker than he did. I think even it's just a little bit, someone somewhere tonight is shook by it.

Didn't Conor talked about going up to lightweight if he wins against Aldo tomorrow? And that he would stay in featherweight only if Frankie would win in great fashion with a TKO or Knockout? I swear I remember something like that, he might have changed tunes though since.

Barboza Vs. Ferguson finish: (too bad the takedown being defended just before didn't make the cut in the gif tho)

giphy.gif

Frankie Vs. Chad finish:

Oh and during the AMA with Holly Holm, a fan broke out singing just too good to be true with the whole crowd going at it cheering, singing along and dancing. Just awesome stuff, check it down below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzZPKZS1_Fc&feature=youtu.be&t=2514

(if it doesn't work, the time is 42 minutes in)

Levito

Banned
Welp, 194 is tomorrow, kind of can't believe it's happening finally.

Picking Aldo tomorrow, he's just got way more ways to win than Conor. Think Aldo will destroy Conor's led leg with kicks, go for takedowns, and submit him.

I think the real fight nutso fight of the card will be Weidman vs. Rockhold though. Everyone has ideas on how Aldo/Conor is gonna go down, but no one can guess what's happening in the co-main. CAN'T WAIT.

FaceTurn

Edgar has been hard done by Dana. He deserved a title shot ages back. I think if Conor fought Aldo back in July he might have had a shot since Aldo looked mentally broken. After the break though, Aldo looks scary like he's in the right head space now.

-MD-

Missed the fights live, just catching up.

That Ferguson/Barboza fight was incredible, one of the best fights I've seen in awhile. Was not expecting Frankie to score a KO either, especially in the first.

Artem was hilariously bad.

I'm Irish, been a fan of UFC since 2007 and it's actually paining me to see what some of my fellow Irish "fans" and others are saying about Aldo, and even Conor. I've seen people who have only watched the Mendes fight now going on like they are experts on it. "Aldo has no chance" "Aldo is so scared" "Aldo has no chin on him" (heard that one yesterday in a shop, had to leave) and so on. It's the same shit that happened with the Mendes fight but worse.

Now there are also the people who don't think Conor is a good fighter at all. Again, very wrong. Watch Dan Hardy's video on his breakdown of both fighters. Very good watch. Since last night, from fans all over the world, is people now saying Mendes is washed up, not good enough, no wonder Conor beat him so easy, Conor still hasn't fought a top fighter blah blah. Conor gassed Chad out, lots of body kicks, people seem to think they do nothing. He took everything from him, and then finished him when the opportunity arose.

Either way, I can't call this one. Aldo is the second best fighter in the world IMO, we could see an Anderson Silva type situation, an all time great getting dethroned, or we could see Conor put in a very difficult place and see if he can overcome it. Win or lose, respect will be shown, you can guarantee that. Everything he does with his antics are for promotion purposes only. Cannot wait for tonight though, looks a cracking card.

Frankie baby did it. Hes not gonna take Connor/Aldo Im afraid but he doesnt need to...his Maynard trilogy gave me a fix of a lifetime.

Ferguson vs Barbosa maybe one of the best fights of the year. My lord, Ferguson took some big shots and prices he had a chin. Amazing creativity from Ferguson in the fight, it really kept Barbosa thinking. So much so that Barbosa made the mistake of going for that takedown. The cut Barbosa suffered probably had him in a panic too as the fight might not have continued much longer.

Ryan Hall wasn't to blame for the boring fight. He kept hunting for the finish. If he didn't train with Artem and McGregor on their sub defense, Artem would have been submitted in the first round. Blame Artem for not throwing punches, he fought not to win but fought to not get submitted.

If McGregor wins he will move on to 55. He already set up fights with both Cowboy and Dos Ajos. The 45 belt will likely be vacated to a fight between Edgar and Hollaway with Barao, moving up from 35, joining the contenders.

RobertM

What's the consensus on the Weidman vs Rockhold fight? I felt that Weidman was gasing out in the Machida fight but Rockhold destroyed Machida, and Weidman looked whatever in his last fight. I just dont know where the fight will go

eXtv

Banned
What's the consensus on the Weidman vs Rockhold fight? I felt that Weidman was gasing out in the Machida fight but Rockhold destroyed Machida, and Weidman looked whatever in his last fight. I just dont know where the fight will go

It's a coin toss. The more I think about it the more I see Rockhold stinging Weidman with one of those check hooks as Chris moves forward, forcing the takedown, and then getting a guillotine or something like that. But I have no idea what's going to happen.

Edgar has been hard done by Dana. He deserved a title shot ages back. I think if Conor fought Aldo back in July he might have had a shot since Aldo looked mentally broken. After the break though, Aldo looks scary like he's in the right head space now.

Huh? Dude has gotten so many undeserved rematch title shots it's insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom