• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 196 Conor McGregor vs Nate Diaz |OT| Fook The Belt feat. Ninja Shit & Touch Butt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep my name out of your mouth. I never predicted Conor would win. All my entire post was was accurately dismissing THIS ridiculous claim:

I see that I crushed your argument so hard you are still hurt over it, but that doesn't give you an excuse for misusing my comments to fix your narrative.

you didnt crush shit, bow down to greatness and accept your spanking.

I disagree. McGregor is a good fighter, great even. However, his hype was out of control, akin to Rousey's hype before Holm or maybe worse.

Great fighters are going to get hyped. MMA is a business as much as it's a sport. I mean, are we now arguing about what specific degree of hype is appropriate? Conor was on a fairly impressive run, capped off by knocking the guy who was many expert's P4P #1 in 10 seconds out cold. How much hype is it okay to give him at that point? People too concerned with exposing frauds in MMA.

The hype was definitely out of control. At one point both he and his more maniacal fans were entertaining thoughts of him @ 185. If nothing else the loss tonight should bring things back down to Earth a bit.

Yeah I think it puts him in the reality that anything past 155 is not worth his time. If he really wanted to go to 170 I think he should take a year off, put on some legit size and grow into it naturally. Hopefully now we will see title defences at 145, although it will be back to dangerous cuts again for him. I can see him fighting Frankie at 200 for the title. He deserves it. If he can beat Frankie and defend it then I think he will fight Aldo again and maybe Holloway. Earn his way back up to a title shot at 155 and try for the 2 belts again. Then he won't fight 145 again and could possibly hang it up then.

3N16MA

Banned
Great fighters are going to get hyped. MMA is a business as much as it's a sport. I mean, are we now arguing about what specific degree of hype is appropriate? Conor was on a fairly impressive run, capped off by knocking the guy who was many expert's P4P #1 in 10 seconds out cold. How much hype is it okay to give him at that point? People too concerned with exposing frauds in MMA.

Mighty Mouse gets little hype.

Brinbe

Conor's gonna get his fair share of hate now. Probably from the same people hyping his ass up in the first place.

This is is pretty sweet though. Especially after all the shit he was talking in the build up to the fight.

I think we're gonna have to agree to disagree here. Not all great fighters get hyped like that. I actually think only Rousey got that level of hype. Silva certainly didn't, Jones didn't, Johnson didn't, and even Saint Pierre and Liddel didn't. The hype was ridiculous IMO. As someone else said, some folks were talking about him going up to 185lbs....

A quick KO like that, while greatly improve the winner's stock, doesn't show me much. Dos Santos KOed Velasquez in 69 seconds in their first fight IIRC and then went on to get tooled the next couple of fights. McGregor had a couple of great wins (Mendes and Aldo) and still hasn't defended his belt. He is a good fighter though and could be great, however IMHO, the hype for him was not warranted.

His fans could learn a thing or two. I haven't seen excuses like this since Anderson's last three losses.

I was there at the o2 arena for Bisping vs Silva the excuses were bad that night.

Just noticed Dana has bailed on the conference, probably drowning his sorrows at the bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom