• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC on Versus 5: Hardy vs Lytle - 8.14.11 - 6pm PT / 9pm ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
dream said:
Outlaw Dan is a pretty shitty fighter but he always comes off as being cool as hell. I'd rather see him on the roster than Generic Well Rounded Mixed Martial Arts Fighter Who Will Fight Whoever Joe Silva Puts In Front Of Him.

This schtick is pretty sad man. Seriously.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Btw what happened with Koscheck? I havent seen him since the GSP fight.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Maklershed said:
If UFC doesn't get their own dedicated channel I hope they go to Versus or NBC Sports Channel or whatever it will be called. Other than ESPN this might be the clearest HD channel I have.

link?

...and i'm still shocked at hamman's 2nd round. he got nearly submitted in an arm triangle and clocked several times. hellofa comeback! will watch this guy in the future

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
dream said:
Outlaw Dan is a pretty shitty fighter but he always comes off as being cool as hell. I'd rather see him on the roster than Generic Well Rounded Mixed Martial Arts Fighter Who Will Fight Whoever Joe Silva Puts In Front Of Him.

The horse is dead dude.....

dream

What horse?

Do you guys genuinely enjoy watching generic fighters that all look, talk, and fight the same way?

op_ivy

Maklershed said:
To what? Versus changing their name to NBC Sports Channel or the rumors of UFC getting their own channel?

sorry, read your post wrong, thought versus had a HD stream for the fights

Heel

dream said:
What horse?

Do you guys genuinely enjoy watching generic fighters that all look, talk, and fight the same way?

I look at personality as a bonus, not a necessity. This isn't professional wrestling. It's about what happens in the cage. I'm sure Dan Hardy wishes he could wrestle.

Sinatar

dream said:
What horse?

Why the fuck would I care what someone looks like?

As for fighting styles? Guess what, years of competition has whittled down the techniques that actually *work*, is it really surprising to see people focus on those?

dream

Okay, someone try to describe Jim Miller to me. I bet it will sound exactly the same as a description of Jon Fitch. "Well-rounded, has a beard, rugged and durable." These guys are just completely unmarketable because they're so unremarkable.

I actually blame it on the UFC's inability to create stars.

sien916 said:
I look at personality as a bonus, not a necessity. This isn't professional wrestling. It's about what happens in the cage. I'm sure Dan Hardy wishes he could wrestle.
Haha Dream and Yaco are going to argue for 20 pages on how MMA is like WWE.

Sinatar

dream said:
Okay, someone try to describe Jim Miller to me. I bet it will sound exactly the same as a description of Jon Fitch. "Well-rounded, has a beard, rugged and durable." These guys are just completely unmarketable because they're so unremarkable.

Again, why do you care?

Heel

dream said:

So Jim Miller should grow a mohawk and listen to Bob Dylan?

op_ivy

i feel left out... dream hasnt always been this way right? its an elaborate mocking of yaco!?

dream

Sinatar said:
Again, why do you care?

Because I miss the days when the UFC actually had fighters with personalities rather than filling up 2 cards a month with as many cheap generic fighters as possible.

sien916 said:
So Jim Miller should grow a mohawk and listen to Bob Dylan?

No, but the UFC should tell me why I should care about Jim Miller.

And they should never ever let anyone squander mic time by saying "I'll fight whoever the UFC wants me to fight."

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
dream said:

The only difference between the two that matters to me is that Miller's fights are almost always worth watching and Fitch's fights rarely are.

Sinatar

dream said:
Because I miss the days when the UFC actually had fighters with personalities rather than filling up 2 cards a month with as many cheap generic fighters as possible.

That 30 second pre fight talking clip is that important to you? What the hell does personality have to do with competition?

Why should you care about Jim Miller? Cause he's fucking awesome. Cause he finishes fights. Cause he's one of the few jiu-jitsu fighters left who can submit folks at the top echelon of the sport.

Heel

dream said:
No, but the UFC should tell me why I should care about Jim Miller.

And they should never ever let anyone squander mic time by saying "I'll fight whoever the UFC wants me to fight."

I agree that the UFC should do a better job at painting the story, ala Bellator. With that said, I don't think it's Jim Miller's job to grab the mic from Rogan and cut a promo.

dream

Sinatar said:
That 30 second pre fight talking clip is that important to you? What the hell does personality have to do with competition?

Why should you care about Jim Miller? Cause he's fucking awesome. Cause he finishes fights. Cause he's one of the few jiu-jitsu fighters left who can submit folks at the top echelon of the sport.

Personality makes everything more interesting. It's why Brock Lesnar PPVs do a million buys. Personality is fun.

dream

sien916 said:
I agree that the UFC should do a better job at painting the story, ala Bellator. With that said, I don't think it's Jim Miller's job to grab the mic from Rogan and cut a promo.

I don't mean cut an actual Ric Flair style promo. I just think the "I'll fight whoever they put in front of me" thing is a waste of mic time. If Jim Miller says something like "I want to fight GST because everyone says he has the best BJJ but mine is pretty fucking good too and I think I can tap him" people will remember him, people will want to see that fight, and the UFC can make money selling that fight.

Sinatar

Sodollah fights like he's sparing. Bang really knows how to turn into his shots so they have power, that's the real difference maker here.

dream said:
If Jim Miller says something like "I want to fight GST because everyone says he has the best BJJ but mine is pretty fucking good too and I think I can tap him" people will remember him, people will want to see that fight, and the UFC can make money selling that fight.
Miller has said he wants a title shot soooooooo many times.

dream

BigKaboom2 said:
Miller has said he wants a title shot soooooooo many times.

Yea, and he doesn't get one because who the fuck is Jim Miller?

That's what I want the UFC to fix. I don't know why they don't just hire Paul Heyman as a promo coach. Especially since they already had him work with Shane Carwin and Carwin's interviews were like 100000x better for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom