• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xando

Would Corbyn retaliate versus Russia if Russia nuked Berlin? It's the basic problem with simplistic nuclear policy.
To be honest i doubt either May or Corbyn would retailiate. They only nuclear retaliation from the UK would happen if the UK is directly affected.
This is factually wrong. We have nuclear weapons in order to prevent Russia from using their nuclear weapons. That's it. Our nuclear weapons don't deter conventional war, for the reasons I pointed out in my last post. If what you are arguing was true, and nuclear weapons were a credible deterrent to conventional war, we could just disband the conventional forces and pull out of the Baltic states - after all, Russia knows we'd escalate if they invaded the Baltics, surely? We haven't, because states understand that Guaranteed Escalation is not a credible threat. No state would actually ever carry out Guaranteed Escalation; our current foreign policy evidences this and evidences that your argument is not accurate.
I wouldn't say he is completely wrong.

Having nuclear weapons is definitely stopping russia from trying all out conventional war. Will it stop possible incursions into the baltics? Probably not.
Will nukes keep russia from completely invading Poland trying to rush Berlin? Definitely.

During the cold war every NATO defense plan planned for nuclear weapons use after soviet forces reach a certain area (IIRC it was the rhine) and i doubt that has changed. Conventional invasion or not.

Theonik

We have had this debate before, I swear.

Yes, a second strike capacity is important. I'm not debating that. But if you do not have the ability to threaten to defend yourself with nukes, you will end up with your opponent recognising that there's no way you'd get London nuked to save Berlin. You have to remember that we are defending an alliance, not just ourselves.
We didn't even defend a state that signed a nuclear disarmament treaty with us in exchange for protection. First strike escalation policy has been off the table since second strike SLBMs and MAD doctrines became practical. Because the other side has to assume you are insane to escalate with nukes. This is how nuclear geopolitics has worked since the 70s.

To be honest i doubt either May or Corbyn would retailiate. They only nuclear retaliation from the UK would happen if the UK is directly affected.

So what you're saying is is that NATO is entirely pointless and Germany is totally defenseless. If we will only nuke in response to being nuked ourselves, then the rest of the world which is not a nuclear-armed nation is defenceless. Russia can turn around tomorrow and say "if anyone stops me invading Germany, I will nuke them."

How do you reconcile that with no first strike?

Now, if memory serves China's policy is quite clever in that "if anyone else uses nuclear weapons we'll just f-ing end you all". Which is useful for China, but it doesn't help Germany not be invaded by Russia.

Audioboxer

I think Boris Johnson is trying to get his own head kicked in for some reason. Impending job loss...

https://twitter.com/nickfthilton/status/870752983046397955

Followed up with https://twitter.com/nickfthilton/status/870754077759741952

Boris Johnson is best described as a "pure fanny".

ZGGCnCI.jpg

af9eb5j.jpg

faridmon

Just saw Question time

Holy Shit, all of the sudden UKers want to Nuke people? Am I living amongst bloodthirsters who wouldn't blink killing millions of people?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
We have had this debate before, I swear.

Yes, a second strike capacity is important. I'm not debating that. But if you do not have the ability to threaten to defend yourself with nukes, you will end up with your opponent recognising that there's no way you'd get London nuked to save Berlin. You have to remember that we are defending an alliance, not just ourselves.

I don't think you understand quite what you're trying to argue. You spent some time defending GA, but what you've said above doesn't describe GA, it just describes MAD but with the UK acting as part of a bloc instead of individually - these are separate things.

If Russia invaded Germany conventionally, we would not use nukes. Why? Because if we did use a nuke, then Russia would respond with a nuke. This is worse for both us and Germany than if we hadn't used a nuke, since nuclear holocaust is worse than conventional war - some people get to survive conventional wars. Instead, if Russia invaded Germany conventionally, we would meet Russia in a conventional war. UK foreign policy understands this, and it's why our strategic priority is the Baltic states and Poland, and why most security reports consistently emphasize the importance of our conventional military. This is an example of why GA doesn't work.

If Russia issued a first-strike nuclear attack on Germany, we would respond with nuclear weapons
probably, not underestimating our recent isolationist streak
, since at that point we have nothing to lose and may as well. This is an example of where MAD does work.

127k followers for that shittastic Twitter account.

tQO1mrF.png

GAF, we need to let you know, voting for Corbyn means

1) Security risk as we can't nuke the world
2) There will be languages heard on the street that aren't English
3) Remoaner Farron and Anti-English Sturgeon propping up the #coalitionofchaos
I have been quite active on Twitter for once due to the election and the amount of despicable ukip/tory racists often have a tonne of followers.

They must all be desperate for confirmation so follow each other.

WhatNXt

#bbcqt So Mr #Corbyn u find your self on Lv-426 a hostile xenomorph wants attack the #UK will u press the button & #Nuke the site from orbit https://t.co/lPdojo28T3

The amount of hypothetical nonsense question time audiences spout is ridiculous.

People ate up far too much time tonight on things that neither party ARE particularly campaigning on -

Namely:
- Why don't we leave our trade relationships in tatters by paying no divorce fee?
- "I WILL be voting Tory, but I'm upset by foreign aid donations to who knows what who knows where, that represent fucking buttons in spending" (although it WAS interesting she didn't have a clue)
- Can we not pay foreign aid in British manufacturing?
- Why haven't you signed a letter to Donald Trump?
- SAY YOU WILL KILL MILLIONS IN THERMO NUCLEAR HOLOCAUST

It reminded me of the Harry and Paul sketch parodying Question Time.

Not near enough scrutiny of the respective manifestos, Dimbleby allowed May to waffle and eat up the clock on some of the biggest softball questions, and too much time was eaten up by partisan members of the public trying to be angry for TV and score some kind of point through literally the most ridiculous arguments committed to the airwaves.

Our democracy is dead if not dying if this is the level of political discourse that passes for holding power to account.

Zaph

Just saw Question time

Holy Shit, all of the sudden UKers want to Nuke people? Am I living amongst bloodthirsters who wouldn't blink killing millions of people?

Look at the polling data on the subject of bringing back the death penalty. This country is pretty disgusting.

Audioboxer

Davidson trying to aim for the retweets

YUYJI5A.png

https://twitter.com/RuthDavidsonMSP

Sorry rUK, our contribution to the Conservative Party is just as bad. Those desperate retweets about Corbyn.

I have been quite active on Twitter for once due to the election and the amount of despicable ukip/tory racists often have a tonne of followers.

They must all be desperate for confirmation so follow each other.

Seems that way, but at least Corbyn > May for followers!

Just saw Question time

Where do you think the stereotypes/memes about 'possible nuke area' come from? There's plenty of armchair generals in the world who talk like that.

Faddy

Banned
corbyn is quite popular now so they are really going after diane abbott and mentioning her constantly

Watch out for the scary black woman!

Diane Abbot might not actually be competent but the Tories are not really on stable ground when Boris buffoon Johnson is the Foreign Secretary.

and btw London should be ashamed they voted for that moron as mayor.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
This discussion about nukes combined with Trump's pulling out of the PA makes me think that the whole English speaking world is going fucking nuts.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Having nuclear weapons is definitely stopping russia from trying all out conventional war.

It depends what you mean by "all-out". If conventional warfare was going to have a death toll and cost equivalent to nuclear holocaust, then there's no reason not to start a nuclear holocaust, and so in that sense it becomes a part of mutually assured destruction. But conventional warfare doesn't look so much like that; it looks rather a lot more like Ukraine, which has had 'low' death toll and was very definitely less bad than a nuclear holocaust. Put another way: it is very definitely not nuclear weapons deterring Russia from invading the Baltic states. It is the conventional military ability of European states (which is why we have a lot of reason to be worried, since that ability is not especially good...).

Xando

So what you're saying is is that NATO is entirely pointless and Germany is totally defenseless. If we will only nuke in response to being nuked ourselves, then the rest of the world which is not a nuclear-armed nation is defenceless. Russia can turn around tomorrow and say "if anyone stops me invading Germany, I will nuke them."

How do you reconcile that with no first strike?

Now, if memory serves China's policy is quite clever in that "if anyone else uses nuclear weapons we'll just f-ing end you all". Which is useful for China, but it doesn't help Germany not be invaded by Russia.
No, what I'm saying is i don't believe the May or Corbyn would risk the UK getting nuked to retailiate for Berlin nuking because first Germany is defacto a nuclear power with access to ~20 US nukes in Germany and second is covered by the greater US and French(they even offered the germans a shared nuclear program multiple times) nuclear umbrella.

It depends what you mean by "all-out". If conventional warfare was going to have a death toll and cost equivalent to nuclear holocaust, then there's no reason not to start a nuclear holocaust, and so in that sense it becomes a part of mutually assured destruction. But conventional warfare doesn't look so much like that; it looks rather a lot more like Ukraine, which has had 'low' death toll and was very definitely less bad than a nuclear holocaust. Put another way: it is very definitely not nuclear weapons deterring Russia from invading the Baltic states. It is the conventional military ability of European states (which is why we have a lot of reason to be worried, since that ability is not especially good...).
A Ukranian style attack wouldn't really work in the baltics though because Russians would have to commit way too many resources if they're faced against NATO troops compared to ukrainians.
I don't see any scenario in which a Russian attack on the baltics could be successful without a larger operation on their full western front.
Russian aggression is never gonna be contained within the baltics which questions at which point do you start to use nuclear weapons (NATO historically always planned use of nuclear weapons on member state territory (in the cold war it was Germany, i reckon now it's Poland).

Theonik

Where do you think the stereotypes/memes about 'possible nuke area' come from? There's plenty of armchair generals in the world who talk like that.
Hey the west had actual generals that thought like that so it's nice to think that only the public are morons.
But alas. The public is allowed to vote on our collective destiny and so our species continues to suffer.

Empty

Watch out for the scary black woman!

Diane Abbot might not actually be competent but the Tories are not really on stable ground when Boris buffoon Johnson is the Foreign Secretary.

and btw London should be ashamed they voted for that moron as mayor.

while i'm voting labour, i don't see an argument you can make about diane's competence or history of eccentric views that doesn't also apply to john mcdonnell, yet the white man won't get the same public derision as the black woman

like they've clearly got polling that people really dislike diane abbott, but it's a massive dogwhistle to pander to it like this

Rodelero

Don't let the nuclear idiots distract you from the fact Theresa May lied all through her QT appearance.

Indeed. She was actually dreadful despite not really having that many tough questions asked of her. She almost didn't answer a question properly at any point, but Dimbleby didn't seem that interested in calling her up on it, nor allowing follow up questions to nail her to the spot. It was interesting, compared to the infinitely better run Sky News QuestionTime style part with Faisal Islam, how much time was allowed on frankly quite tired topics (Brexit and Trident), and how little was for schools, the NHS, and the economy.

Either way, May certainly didn't have a good night. Anyone implying she did is frankly laughably biased. The positive for her is purely that Corbyn didn't do well either. Having said that, I'm inclined to say people are being a bit too gloomy. It definitely was an opportunity missed but realistically the only thing that will stick is the stuff about Trident almost everyone already knew about. There's a good chance Labour will be able to continue onwards and upwards from here I think. A hung parliament is still, just about, feasible, I reckon.

Newline

48% voted remain. Most of them can't just up and leave. People have relatives to care for, kids going through school, best friends they don't want to leave. Many don't have high-demand STEM skills. Fewer still speak foreign languages.

I understand the sentiment but 'clever people abandon ship' simply rubs me the wrong way. Most people can't be mercenary about the country they live and work in. "I'm alright Jack" and off to Canada - as a response to Brexit - works great for bright young programmers and scientists but it abandons the millions who don't have the luxury of geographic mobility.

I mean, I totally get that people want to leave and go the countries where they feel valued. I really do get that decision on a personal level and I don't disagree with the thinking - you simply do what is best for number one. But basic self-interest is something that we should simply accept as inevitable and logical rather than celebrate as righteous. If you can be this flexible and choosy about where you work, you're already doing rather well in life.

If and when Brexit bites, it won't be beautiful young twenty-something UCL grads with CompSci degrees and high-income tech careers who suffer the most. They can escape any economic kickback. It'll be those who are left behind who pay the highest price.
The reality is that brain drain can have an impact on the economy. So a lot of that sentiment comes from a sort of protest by denying the country their skills. If the moral values of a country seems too intolerable to work with the last resort becomes denying them of your personal value.

The reality is that old conservative voters don't see or don't care about the long term impact the lack of skilled workers can have. Jeremy Corbyn has caught onto it but it seems like the electorate don't want to listen to him. They'd rather test whether he'd push a big red button.

Last year we hated foreigners.
This year we want a nuclear holocaust.

Go majority!

these things are linked, wot with foreigners being the ones that would be nuked. No great surprise.

Heck, wouldn't be surprised if most of the voting pop found the idea of nuking territory occupied by isis quite decent.

Faddy

Banned
What a scary world

These old people don't realise wtf they are saying.

They probably don't care since they now their time is up

They would rather die in a nuclear holocaust than live with Theresa's failing NHS and social care policies.

Hmmmm.... Maybe they are rational after all.

Audioboxer

hohoXD123

Qualities of a good Prime Minister:
Makes decisions necessary for the good of the country
Helps those from all aspects of society
WILLING TO MURDER MILLIONS OF CIVILIANS

Audioboxer

Does anyone think any of these nutters go home and then see themselves gone viral online and think, maybe I've made a huge mistake?

Like, even one of them at any point? Any of those interviewed on TV around Brexit, or the nuclear weapons lads and men tonight? Just one? Even the rich kid turned "I'm on a zero hour contract" having a change of heart and thinking I shouldn't tell lies on national TV?

Or do they all get home and pat themselves on the back and light a cigar and shout "STRONG AND STABLE"?

*Splinter

Does anyone think any of these nutters go home and then see themselves gone viral online and think, maybe I've made a huge mistake?

Like, even one of them at any point? Any of those interviewed on TV around Brexit, or the nuclear weapons lads and men tonight? Just one? Even the rich kid turned "I'm on a zero hour contract" having a change of heart and thinking I shouldn't tell lies on national TV?

Or do they all get home and pat themselves on the back and light a cigar and shout "STRONG AND STABLE"?
I'm sure they're thrilled that they got to be on TV "telling it like it is" or something

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom