• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
Part of Corbyn's speech (copy-pasted from The Guardian's live blog)...

You cannot protect the public on the cheap. The police and security services must get the resources they need, not 20,000 police cuts. Theresa May was warned by the Police Federation but she accused them of ”crying wolf". We will recruit another 10,000 new police officers, including more armed police, as well as 1,000 more security services staff to support our communities and help keep us safe.

*clap*

Yes. Go for her and the damage she has caused.

Beefy

DBfvpYwXkAI9ePy

Moosichu

Our democratic values must be maintained. We must resist Islamophobia and division and turn out on 8 June united in our determination to show our democracy is strong. And, yes, we do need to have some difficult conversations starting with Saudi Arabia and other Gulf states that have funded and fuelled extremist ideology.

It is no good Theresa May suppressing a report into the foreign funding of extremist groups. We have to get serious about cutting off the funding to these terror networks, including Isis, here and in the Middle East.

Thought this line was interesting.

Moze

Banned
As an interesting aside, if you except Kantar's latest poll, which appears to be an outlier, every single major pollster's unweighted sample is within the margin of error of CON 41 LAB 39. All of the difference between pollsters isn't due to differences in sampling, but due to different assumptions about turnout and the way undecided voters will break. So, at the very least, the underlying data is consistent, it's just what it exactly it means is uncertain.

If they used the same methods as last general election, would the polls be at 41/39?

Part of Corbyn's speech (copy-pasted from The Guardian's live blog)...
*clap*

Yes. Go for her and the damage she has caused.

His line about May suppressing the report on Saudi Arabia was great too.
Yep, they were vital in the effort to take some support from May.

The only thing I wish he brought up was the fact we sell weapons to them but hopefully most people know that by now.

Let's just hope the public narrative moves onto May's failings.

I don't know if anyone else is watching tonight's debate on BBC One, but this party 'The Black Eyed Peas' are talking about how bad racism and killing children is.

And the audience are cheering! Another biased BBC audience. The old men of Question Time will not be happy with this peaceful song. They should have to sing 'nuke the bastards' for balance.

#jokestoolongandprobablydistatefulfortwitter

Real Hero

I don't know if anyone else is watching tonight's debate on BBC One, but this party 'The Black Eyed Peas' are talking about how bad racism and killing children is.

And the audience are cheering! Another biased BBC audience. The old men of Question Time will not be happy with this peaceful song. They should have to sing 'nuke the bastards' for balance.

#jokestoolongandprobablydistatefulfortwitter

They probably have this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgpa7wEAz7I playing in there head nonstop

Spaghetti

That speech by Corbyn was great. There's a lot of contextual information flying around today too that supports his argument.

Shame May's going to get in anyway and just use the attack as another excuse to grab at censorship powers.

sammex

I'm surprised the threat from Theresa May's article 50 letter of pulling intelligence sharing with the EU after Brexit isn't being mentioned more.

Dynasty

How could anyone not want a guy with values like this in power? Just doesn't compute with me sometimes.

Because:
The conservatives are the only one who can deliver a good BREXIT deal.
Jeremy talked to the IRA.
Theresa May is strong and stable, while Jeremy Corbryn is weak.

Take your pick, there are probably many other stupid reasons too.

StayDead

How could anyone not want a guy with values like this in power? Just doesn't compute with me sometimes.

but his tie though

-

People don't care about others, that's the issue. If anything remotely looks like it's going to help people it's not possible or it's stupid. The loony left again going off on a tangent, vote for them and you vote for a lack of security!

It's really sad.

Moze

Banned

The media and his party has spent two years convincing the public he is incompetent, lazy, unelectable and a lunatic. Up until like 3 weeks ago, many in this very thread were ridiculously negative on him. Opinion has definitely shifted on him but there are also many voters who are about a month behind everyone else as far as general opinion goes. It's hard to erase two years of attacks in just 5 weeks.

Dynasty

At the beggining of the election I was pissed of when Jeremy said he would stay on as party leader even if he looses but now I honestly dont mind if he stays, in fact I want him to.

The media and his party has spent two years convincing the public he is incompetent, lazy, unelectable and a lunatic. Up until like 3 weeks ago, many in this very thread were ridiculously negative on him. Opinion has definitely shifted on him but there are also many voters who are about a month behind everyone else as far as general opinion goes. It's hard to erase two years of attacks in just 5 weeks.
It's amazing that he has done so well, it just shows that if you have a genuine person who isn't a robotic corporate shill and a progressive platform you can turn public opinion around.

Jackpot

Banned
Cornwall south east MP Sheryll Murray (who happens to block anyone who questions her on twitter) has been saying how she is "really pleased we have food banks in South East Cornwall".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8aRD9DNDsI

When members of the audience express their dismay about it, she carries on and says let's ignore these, which infuriates the crowd further, and then she threatens to call the police and have someone who stood up removed by force if they won't leave.

What a scumbag.

StayDead

Cornwall south east MP Sheryll Murray (who happens to block anyone who questions her on twitter) has been saying how she is "really pleased we have food banks in South East Cornwall".

When members of the audience express their dismay about it, she carries on and says let's ignore these, which infuriates the crowd further, and then she threatens to call the police and have someone who stood up removed by force if they won't leave.

Holy shit. I hope she loses her seat.

Shameful.

Orbis

Holy shit, how out of touch with real humans can you be.

Pandy

Bloody hell! Trying to pull of exactly the same line that Rees-Mogg did in that other video I posted, but thankfully getting called out on it by the audience.

Amazing levels of contempt for people she wants to 'represent' in parliament.

I don't think people cared to think about it before. The consequences of Saudia Arabia actions in the middle east are now on our doorstep. It focuses the mind onto why are we selling arms who arm and fund our enemies.
That's my thoughts too, the average person is starting to understand that actions have consequences and selling weapons to a country that arms and funds the very type of people killing our people on our doorstep is disgusting.

PJV3

It's like the Tories have got bored of winning and want a new class war. Let them eat cake from foodbanks.

PC policy: Trafod fargen dda i Gymru. Dylai San Steffan yn cymryd lle unrhyw arian yr UE a gollwyd.

hahahaah ahh thanks for this bit of charm, huw. made me laugh hard.

also god damn, google translate really is terrific nowadays

Well then, the audio could be better and the rant at the end about censorship. while understandable, was unnecessary, but that's a pretty damning video right there. She seems to instruct the moderator to shut him down as soon as he mentions Saudi Arabia. It's much more clean cunt than I thought it would be.

I have to assume she didn't realise or forgot the debate was being filmed.
and that also was a wonderful little touch.

I don't think people cared to think about it before. The consequences of Saudia Arabia actions in the middle east are now on our doorstep. It focuses the mind onto why are we selling arms who arm and fund our enemies.

hmm, that's only part of it. SA can only continue to carry out these actions due to the support it enjoys from other international actors, thus...

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
How's Corbyn's relationship with the EU leadership? I haven't really heard much on that.

Dopus

Banned

Indeed. When you can't see the consequences it's not really an issue for many people. Maybe a fleeting thought and agreement that it's bad and should be stopped.

excowboy

Good speech from Corbyn. Genuine question though - thought campaigning was suspended for today? How come he made that speech if so?

King_Moc

Banned

Yeah, but you see, it's good for industry. Think of the jobs at BAE.

How's Corbyn's relationship with the EU leadership? I haven't really heard much on that.

It can't possibly be worse than May's.

Ashes

Banned
Saw this on Twitter and thought it was pretty good. Hopefully this all start to pick up.

OCkizRx.jpg

But really the evidence isn't clear about this. They're definitely as dodgy as the rest of the people in that picture but the Saudis are at war with Isis as well.

But really the evidence isn't clear about this. They're definitely as dodgy as the rest of the people in that picture but the Saudis are at war with Isis as well.
It's a complicated situation for sure but I think it's an oversimplification that's needed for the general public to understand roughly what's going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom