• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.
No idea. The level of disconnect I've felt has been astounding ever since brexit. Having been someone who has always been hard left I'm no stranger to feeling like my political views are not mainstream but this is altogether different. The closest thing I can say is my views on meat as a vegetarian of 20+ years. I've reached a stage where psychologically meat just doesn't look like food anymore. When I see people who talk about may like she's brilliant I just.. There's no words. She's literally the least inspiring politician I've seen in many many years. Maybe my lifetime. She's just... Nothing. When she gave that speech about human rights and she said she'd change the law, I physically shuddered.

Strange times. I've reached a point where I just think this country gets what it deserves. At least I can vote for Caroline Lucas and feel fairly confident that I've voted for a decent human being.
You obviously need to read The Sun and The Daily Mail more often, that'll make you feel better about our supreme leader.
Usually bang on 10pm when the polls close.
Great, I'll look forward to the GAF reaction as always.

excowboy

So I only post this out of some weird sense of curiosity, but Qriously (who have some of the most bizarre / brilliant / dodgy / modern methodology out there) have their final call.

Labour up by 3.

Now I don't believe this for a second. And I'd never heard of Qriously before just now. But they have a half decent track record on recent international elections , so who the fuck knows.

I want to believe! However, job listings on their website list 'unlimited vacation' as an employee benefit - clearly pie-in-the-sky something for nothing Trotsky entryists! ;)

Please be right. Also, please give me a job.

Spaghetti

I agree, but think about what gets features repeatedly on the news, satirical news and comedy progs, and even Gogglebox. It's the silly things Labour politicians do, rather than the serious fuck ups the Tories make.

It's just another version of Ed and a sandwich, but those things sadly stick in people's minds.
It's kind of awful.

I can't think of anybody in my social circle "rich" or poor who has benefited from 7 years of Conservative government. Even with the personal allowance being lifted up (Lib Dem policy anyway, I believe), they've had to suffer shit like a VAT rise, the bedroom tax, public services being cut to ribbons, a housing market spiralling even further out of control, etc.

I don't see that as controversial at all. If it convinces anyone at all, then Murdoch et al are effectively buying votes with lies.
I get antsy about press restrictions, even if in this case it would be stopping them from bullshitting the country into buying a pack of lies.

Then again, this can't keep going on. Something has to give.

I want to believe! However,job listings on their website list 'unlimited vacation'as an employee benefit - clearly pie-in-the-sky something for nothing Trotsky entryists.

Please be right. Also, please give me a job.
Unlimited vacation? Is that the new name for a zero hours contract?

King_Moc

Banned
I get antsy about press restrictions, even if in this case it would be stopping them from bullshitting the country into buying a pack of lies.

Then again, this can't keep going on. Something has to give.

I just wish there was a way of getting newspapers to report news, and keep all this made up bullshit to opinion pieces somehow and away from front pages.

It can't be right that a self proclaimed newspapers front page news is a demand for you to vote for a specific party.

Unfortunately, Corbyn was the only one to try to make it happen. So they turned a pro Palestine rally into him joining ISIS. Shit's not right.

Someone needs to come up with a sure fire way of getting the yoof out. I do like Brewdog's idea of a free pint for every voter though, that' can't harm. :)
The problem is that they can't vote if they didn't register to vote. And that there lies the likely problem you'll see in getting the yoof out tomorrow.

Joe

538 analysis posted?

The Three Scenarios For The U.K. Election
If Labour beats the final polling average by only 1 or 2 percentage points, both sides will start having to sweat out the results from individual constituencies. And if they beat their polls by much more than that, May's majority is probably toast. If this happens, the adjustments that pollsters made to discount Labour turnout will have proven to be counterproductive, and the lesson for pollsters will be to trust their data instead of making too many presumptions about who is likely to vote.

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/872605617315303424
,(1) Conservative landslide, (2) solid Tory win (5-9 points) and (3) hung parliament are each about equally likely.

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/872606433778565120
It's unrealistic to be much more precise than that given disagreement in UK polls and their historic lack of accuracy.

I just realised I'm too old to be considered the youth vote anymore. Thankfully I'm still too young to morph into a Tory voter like a racist caterpillar.

Oh well, looking forward to playing WipEout in a depressed stupor tomorrow night. It's been real chums. At least Labour won the meme war, right?

Auctopus

I never post statuses on Facebook but I'm thinking of writing one tomorrow. The people in my area are so apathetic towards the political system and if I could encourage one person to go out and vote, I'd be happy (even though I live in a Tory stronghold and there's no chance).

It's sort of lame but I wrote a little draft. But every time I get to writing about the important social, security and health issues - I can't help but sound bias to Corbyn.

Shaneus

I never post statuses on Facebook but I'm thinking of writing one tomorrow. The people in my area are so apathetic towards the political system and if I could encourage one person to go out and vote, I'd be happy (even though I live in a Tory stronghold and there's no chance).

It's sort of lame but I wrote a little draft. But every time I get to writing about the important social, security and health issues - I can't help but sound bias to Corbyn.
Doing it is going to be better than doing nothing at all. Apathy is the only surefire way to lose.

Xieldos

I was hoping for it last time. Hope it happens this time :D

Anybody else staying up through the night watching the results come in?

I always tell myself I won't but I know I will.

Even watched the madness of the US Election through to its gritty conclusion last year.

Aki-at

KctS5cd.png

Someone is going to look incredibly foolish or incredibly brilliant tomorrow.

Still expecting a Tory majority alas. I'll be awake until late into the morning in anycase, feel at least Corbyn has put forward a manifesto Labour can win on come what may.

Lagamorph

Is there a place you can watch a map get constituencies get filled in as the day progresses? Or does it all usually happen to fast for that?

During the day? No. There are absolutely no results during the day to avoid influencing the results. The BBC election night normally fills in a map as the night goes on though.

Spaghetti

I'll be awake until late into the morning in anycase, feel at least Corbyn has put forward a manifesto Labour can win on come what may.
I fully expect/fear the PLP learn the wrong lessons and we go back to "we're like the Conservatives but just a bit different".

There's a wind blowing and a whisper can be heard upon it. It says "labour is gonna win"

I wouldn't be shocked if Labour win, all the usual chucklefucks I've heard from are voting Labour (yes I know anecdotal). But they voted Brexit too. But they're all voting Labour now.

I think the pendulum is going to swing left. I think people really dislike Theresa May, she looks like a vampire that hasn't fed for a long time.

So will the exit poll tomorrow (today) night say whether the winning party has a minority or majority?

Hoping it does so we can see "minority Tory government" on the screen.

Aki-at

I fully expect/fear the PLP learn the wrong lessons and we go back to "we're like the Conservatives but just a bit different".

Yeah this is a major worry for me too and the story the other day about them launching a Labour leadership bid after the exit poll makes me pause for concern. I think though more than ever the Tories will be so damaged by the end of Brexit the next election coming that any decent Labour opposition will win, I really don't see the country improving much within 5 years or the Conservatives have any idea of how to get us moving, not socially but economically. It seems like they're dry out of ideas.

Yeah a lot can happen in 5 years but I feel the appetite for change is starting to hit the public that even a figure like Corbyn is managing to get some people to seriously reconsider their position on him.

So will the exit poll tomorrow (today) night say whether the winning party has a minority or majority?

Hoping it does so we can see "minority Tory government" on the screen.

Exit polls aren't generally useful for fine information in situations like this because the sampling is terrible. They are only good to show rough outcomes (so if something decisive is going on) or unexpected outcomes (if voting patterns are going in a way completely at odds with predictions).

And it's rare for hung Parliament calls to be made until it's fairly certain that no one can crawl out with a 1 seat majority.

You'll probably only get an early result if it's a fairly clear to overwhelming Tory win. Or if reality folds in on itself and somehow produces a clear Labor win.

Taker666

Someone is going to look incredibly foolish or incredibly brilliant tomorrow.

Still expecting a Tory majority alas. I'll be awake until late into the morning in anycase, feel at least Corbyn has put forward a manifesto Labour can win on come what may.

I'm still expecting a Tory landslide sadly. My one glimmer of hope is that the Tory voters aren't quite so shy this time around when it comes to polls.

Still...I take heart in knowing that a big chunk of those voting for the Tories will be screwed over by them...and they fully deserve it.

KaoteK

Well everyone, see you on the flip side. As someone who's lurked here for the entire thread, I'd just like to say thanks to everyone contributing.

I hope we'll see the change the UK so desperately needs, but at the same time I'm utterly pessimistic that we'll get 5 more years of Tory sadism.

God speed UKgaf.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Wish I could be excited for this to all be out of the way, but now seeing the usual "start of a movement" "five more years!!" rhetoric and boy, the Labour party is just straight doomed.

Maybe in 20 years the next generation will actually understand what politics and governments entail.

norinrad

Here's hoping young voters come out in droves to vote for JC and the future they would like to see.

Or vote May and hand over the keys to American corporations.

The choice is yours. Good luck.

Pixieking

Banned
Wish I could be excited for this to all be out of the way, but now seeing the usual "start of a movement" "five more years!!" rhetoric and boy, the Labour party is just straight doomed.

Maybe in 20 years the next generation will actually understand what politics and governments entail.

I'm saying things like this a lot in this thread, but...

If America is anything to go by, unlikely. 16 years after Nader screwed over Gore (to some extent), third party candidates "Wif-Fi is bad for us" and "I'll stick my tongue out and talk at the same time on a major TV network" still got votes (with even Janet Weiss from Rocky Horror shilling for Wi-Fi woman).

In both the US and UK there needs to be a deep, fundamental change in how we teach people the value of voting, otherwise this'll keep happening on both sides of the Atlantic

Lego Boss

I will be interested to see the voting share (if these polls turn out to be correct) as there is no way I can see anything but a healthy (i.e. improved) Blue Rinse majority tomorrow.

I have a feeling we could be in a situation, rather like UKIP, where a substantial portion of the population vote for Labour, but it doesn't shake down in terms of seats. That would partially explain the voting intention.

But otherwise GAF: Don't do it to yourself. We've been here too many times.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Good luck GB.

The best I'm hoping for is a hung parliament.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom