• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is zero chance the Liverpool seats are not going to Labour. The gap is just too damn bug and the mentality up here is distinctively anti Tory.

If any party was to ever kick out Labour in any seat in Liverpool, it'd be the Lib Dems. But I know the LD chair - and the Wavertree LD candidate actually who's a 50-year veteran of politics - and it's likely to be another decade before even the council in Liverpool comes under serious threat, let alone the constituencies.

If there was a seat that covered Cressington/Church and that sort of area, you might have one LD seat. Otherwise, no chance.

But yeah, you'd need to have something like ten straight years of Labour losses at council level for there even to be a chance at a LD threat there. Even against Joe Anderson the LDs only managed 21% of the vote in the mayoral last year.

Garjon

They're likely trying to track how Labour's vote is going in their safe seats, as it helps build a representative forecast.

There is exactly no chance of any real damage being done to any Liverpool seat. You might see a recovery amongst the no-hopers that puts the LDs in second place in a few of them, but Liverpool and Manchester are safe-as-houses Labour and probably always will be.

Your neck of the wood is Lab/LD competitive at council level but the actual constituencies are nearly impossible to shift.

Phew! Though I can't help but balk at the amounts these exit polls must cost, they had a four person crew there. Also I'm fairly sure one of the guys was peering over my shoulder as I did it, maybe he was looking for non-Labour voters for a survey or something?

Your neck of the wood is Lab/LD competitive at council level but the actual constituencies are nearly impossible to shift.

And even then, the singular 'Labour' mentality here is such that the LD councillors are out-ranked wholly by the Labour ones, at least they were the last time I went to observe in Town Hall.

Carl2291

Anecdotal, but I'm seeing more "young" people than ever before speaking about voting on social media today. My local area has been solid Labour for as long as I've been alive though, so it doesn't mean much for my constituency.

It'll be an interesting night if it's the same all over the country.

Edit - Labour area since 1918, just looked it up.

Phew! Though I can't help but balk at the amounts these exit polls must cost, they had a four person crew there. Also I'm fairly sure one of the guys was peering over my shoulder as I did it, maybe he was looking for non-Labour voters for a survey or something?

If true then report that guy, did you choose to express your views as you vote? Likely not. So why does he think he has the authority to oversee what you choose to put on your ballot?

Garjon

If any party was to ever kick out Labour in any seat in Liverpool, it'd be the Lib Dems. But I know the LD chair - and the Wavertree LD candidate actually who's a 50-year veteran of politics - and it's likely to be another decade before even the council in Liverpool comes under serious threat, let alone the constituencies.

If there was a seat that covered Cressington/Church and that sort of area, you might have one LD seat. Otherwise, no chance.

But yeah, you'd need to have something like ten straight years of Labour losses at council level for there even to be a chance at a LD threat there. Even against Joe Anderson the LDs only managed 21% of the vote in the mayoral last year.

I'm actually a little bit glad of that, if that rumour of him demanding Luciana Berger abandon her newborn child to do a night time debate is true. Though I think even I voted against Joe Anderson after he closed the Kazimier haha

pulsemyne

Isn't high election turn out bad for the Tories? It would mean that the youth have showed up.

It would be bad for them as the old always turn up to vote so any increase would come from people who either don't vote or haven't voted before. The Holy Grail for labour is a high turnout on youth votes and if it happens then things could be interesting.

Garjon

If true then report that guy, did you choose to express your views as you vote? Likely not. So why does he think he has the authority to oversee what you choose to put on your ballot?

Not my actual ballot, the vote on the exit poll. They're not allowed inside the building IIRC

nOoblet16

I'm actually a little bit glad of that, if that rumour of him demanding Luciana Berger abandon her newborn child to do a night time debate is true. Though I think even I voted against Joe Anderson after he closed the Kazimier haha
The Kaz :(
Atleast we still have the garden.

JimiNutz

Banned
I'm actually really curious - what does Corbyn stand for that you don't agree with?

Genuinely curious which of Corbyn's ideals/policies you don't agree with.

I think it's the budget/public spending mainly.
I like his ideas in practice but don't believe that we have the money to achieve half of what he has proposed. His idea of taxing the rich/corporations is great but I'm skeptical as to whether this will actually raise the funds required to fund his plans.

I appreciate that the Conservatives manifesto is also not costed correctly but I expect Corbyn to throw a LOT of money around if he gets into power.

He still got my vote because I hate May.

Not like it'll ever happen but what happens if a party leader loses their seat but their party gets the majority?

Nothing needs to happen, essentially speaking. However, any of the party leaders losing their own constituency will no doubt incur a call for a vote of no confidence in them (because, why would you believe in them) and another would be elected from within the party. It would be a pretty sad embarrassment for said leader, party, and the UK as whole, where our own PM can't claim a seat in their own parliament.

Edit:

Not my actual ballot, the vote on the exit poll. They're not allowed inside the building IIRC

Ah, shows how often I've actually seen these exit pollsters lol

BadHand

Not like it'll ever happen but what happens if a party leader loses their seat but their party gets the majority?

This happened with our British Columbian Premier, who lost her seat in the Provincial election, remained as party leader and had a backbencher in a safe seat quit. Forced a by-election and just carried on there.

There was a Lib Dem councillor who put his foot in his mouth about that affair on Twitter if I recall, but he isn't standing for anything.

I don't personally think that "I have a newborn so I won't show up" is a GREAT reason not to go, but it is a good-enough reason. Ideally she'd be able to make an arrangement, probably for another Labour person to be there as her advocate.

I responded to her on Twitter when she said it was because of her newborn - more accurately, she said "don't assume my personal circumstances, and my husband cannot breastfeed" or words to that effect - and asked why it was impossible for her to send another person along, and she didn't answer. My suspicion is that it's a lame excuse. Especially as Dan Carden, the Walton parachute candidate, didn't show up to his hustings either.

Garjon

Huh, weird then, I had for a second thought it may have been Wirral West since they flipped between Red and Blue over the past three elections, but no I'd have no clue as to why they'd be there today. I never see anyone when I vote, place is a ghost town, and I've gone at different times of day each time (morning, rush hour, lunch, evening rush hour etc).
I was slightly alarmed by it too, though it seems they do check safe seats sometimes.

Garjon

Joe Anderson was considering closing 24 Kitchen Street too last I heard, which is interesting considering they're hosting a Labour 'victory' party tomorrow night. I think losing that place would kill me more than losing the Kaz

Joe Anderson is a weird asshole and it gave me no end of pleasure to watch him be screwed out of becoming an MP.

On the other hand, I would have enjoyed him trying to treat Westminster like he treats Liverpool City Council and getting slapped down by Bercow in about ten seconds.

That said, I voted for the Tories in 2015 (I fucking wish I hadn't now though) but didn't make that same mistake this election.

Me too, life long Tory voter, mainly because I didn't get involved in politics, didn't really understand it, voted how my parents voted and was probably swayed by the media.

Lots of lessons learnt this time round, bit ashamed of myself but I remain hopeful in that if I can turn around and change how I vote, so can others.

Indeed! was in there the other week in fact. Fucking love that place this time of year.

Joe Anderson is a weird asshole and it gave me no end of pleasure to watch him be screwed out of becoming an MP.

On the other hand, I would have enjoyed him trying to treat Westminster like he treats Liverpool City Council and getting slapped down by Bercow in about ten seconds.

Agreed. You'd have had to squint in between seats if you did want to watch him fuck p though, I could never get over how short he was compared to all his pictures.

I remember when he high jacked the last Hillsborough memorial at Anfield to self-serve for well over 10 minutes - the longest speech at the event no less.

Hasney

They have Taco Bell in Leeds now?

Yup, opened today for wonderful timing...

Just gone back to the bar opposite the road from my flat as the gas people are still in and they're apparently having a party for the progress Labour will have tomorrow.

... It's not going to be a party, is it?

Morat

Banned
Yup, opened today for wonderful timing...

Just gone back to the bar opposite the road from my flat as the gas people are still in and they're apparently having a party for the progress Labour will have tomorrow.

... It's not going to be a party, is it?

It's called a wake.

Mr. Sam

Blows my mind that German media doesn't seem to care or cover even one bit of the elections.

I mean, I've been getting regular updates about German opinion polls but that's just the sort of circles I'm in. I can't imagine the German election will get much coverage beyond a "Oh, here's who won" over here.

I mean, I've been getting regular updates about German opinion polls but that's just the sort of circles I'm in. I can't imagine the German election will get much coverage beyond a "Oh, here's who won" over here.

During Brexit and the US-election there were hourly polls on German TV and pages. Now it's literally nothing. No info whatsoever or even that the UK votes at all.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Portsmouth North here so doomed. However Portsmouth South I have hope for as it has a lot of students there.
Fucking Penny!!!

It just makes no sense for Navy towns to be so pro-conservative, no sense at all.
Me too, life long Tory voter, mainly because I didn't get involved in politics, didn't really understand it, voted how my parents voted and was probably swayed by the media.

Lots of lessons learnt this time round, bit ashamed of myself but I remain hopeful in that if I can turn around and change how I vote, so can others.

them relatable feels, why I took Max's word for law back then haunts me.

I remember when he high jacked the last Hillsborough memorial at Anfield to self-serve for well over 10 minutes - the longest speech at the event no less.

My favourite one is when he deliberately drop-kicked the two young organisers of the post-EU-referendum Liverpool protest, preventing them from speaking, then waffled on himself, and also prevented the protest being about anything other than the spike in race crimes.

Or the time he shouted at a council candidate at a count for staring at him.

Or the time he tried to intimidate another council candidate at a count by walking up to them and saying "I can smell you Liberals".

He's the perfect example of why I dislike Labour so much. Lovely, friendly people - until they win power.

Beefy

Royston Smith got voted the laziest MP in the UK. He is still running here and I bet he wins, people are fucking dumb

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Sky News paying attention to what REALLY matters.

DBx58tHWAAEUODy

Wait there's a Taco Bell in Leeds? I guess I'll try that out this weekend, if it all goes tits up I can at least drown my sorrows in melted cheese.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom