• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjp

Just been out to vote and took one of my sisters, as well as my mum and dad.

It won't make a difference seeing as it's a rock solid Tory seat, but that's four votes for Labour :)

My proxy's voted for me - hopefully we can get the Lib Dems back into 2nd place in West Somerset. We really rely on progressive voters coalescing around us as the anti-Tory party, so a decent lead over Labour in the 'best of the rest' category is required.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Fiancèe's parents voted Conservative.

A relative of my fiancee voted Conservative. I asked them why. "Well, because I don't like Labour's policies," was the reply. I asked which policies. They couldn't name a single one. I reminded them of the policies of the party they were choosing to vote for - repealing the ban on fox hunting. Taking their house and all their savings away if they should need care. Taking away their grandson's school dinners in exchange for a breakfast which they wouldn't actually fund.

I assume they voted Conservative anyway.

flattie

I've never had a breakfast muffin, but the milkshakes are definitely still pretty great.

MD Milkshakes stopped being great when it started to take less than 10 minutes to suck the first slug of chicken fat, syrup flavouring and sugar through the straw. Kids got it easy these days.

Daffy Duck

That was interesting. Just voted in Swansea (labour) and noticed that my local polling station, which is pretty quiet, was actually busy. I asked the people manning it if they had been busy to which they replied "Yeah very busy" I asked them the age ranges of people voting and they said it was a good mix of young and old. Now here's the thing my area has a lot of old people in it so the youth must be turning out. Hell I saw three student types just leaving after having voted and you NEVER see that round here on polling days.
Still it's a pretty safe labour area but I hope that Labour take back the Gower. Everyone was stunned in swansea when it went tory last time.

I must admit the last few votes I've been to be at my local polling station it was dead at this time, like 1 or 2 people, this time there was at least 20 people there.

Still probably all voting blue though.

Just voted Labour in North West Durham, here we, here we, here we fucking go.

Whilst there were only a couple of people on the way out when I got there, the person had said they had been really busy, so hopefully we will see a high turnout.

Syder

YZ1ieQE.png
"If it's a boy, buy him a deluxe edition of the Grand Auto Warcraft Call Of Duty XIV video game and tell him if he reaches stage five by midnight he can borrow your car for a week. Obviously, renege on your promise if he manages it."

What is this? Do we all live in an early 2000s sitcom?

Nice dose of ageism and sexism.

Mr Git

Just been to vote with the family. Me me mam and sister all go together as tradition. It's the only family outing we do.

Also, I'm fuming at Labour's tactics in Portsmouth South. Cost us a seat by claiming they can win here - they've never won here, did fuck all in the local elections, and were well behind us even in 2015. Cunts.

This is why I'll never vote Labour, too many bastards intent on propping-up the two-party system at all costs (stopping progressive candidates).

Cronen

That was interesting. Just voted in Swansea (labour) and noticed that my local polling station, which is pretty quiet, was actually busy. I asked the people manning it if they had been busy to which they replied "Yeah very busy" I asked them the age ranges of people voting and they said it was a good mix of young and old. Now here's the thing my area has a lot of old people in it so the youth must be turning out. Hell I saw three student types just leaving after having voted and you NEVER see that round here on polling days.
Still it's a pretty safe labour area but I hope that Labour take back the Gower. Everyone was stunned in swansea when it went tory last time.

Hello from another fellow Swansea voter! Are you in Swansea East or West? I agree though, everyone here will be looking at Gower. I hope Labour takes it back!

gngf123

At least my parents in law can't vote UKIP, cos they're not standing here

A vote for UKIP would be a vote away from the conservative party at least.

The great irony in FPTP is that voting for a party you want to vote for can directly benefit another party you absolutely hate.

Good old democracy.

Spaghetti

Dad ended up voting Conservative.

Despite liking the Labour manifesto.

And knowing directly that Conservative party policy had hugely negatively affected our lives and the lives of others in our family.

This country is fucking doomed.

Vitanimus

Colleague at work today said she hasn't voted because she's not educated enough to make an informed decision, which I can somewhat respect. Replied that it sounds a bit more safer to not vote when you don't know what you're voting for, than to vote on something you have no real education on.

Anyone else encountered this sorta thought process?

Theonik

Colleague at work today said she hasn't voted because she's not educated enough to make an informed decision, which I can somewhat respect. Replied that it sounds a bit more safer to not vote when you don't know what you're voting for, than to vote on something you have no real education on.

A lot of young people think this way but it is wrong. Try to educate them. There is no wrong choice here and in doing so they will learn.

Yep, although everyone I spoke to who said this (a couple) did make it a mission to get informed by the time polling closes. Sent a couple links their way to help them decide.

I'm only when talking directly to my penis

I'm sorry I'm drunk

Goodlife

It's bollocks though, not like this election took people by surprise, she's had 8 weeks to do some prep work

gngf123

I have, and the answer is usually pretty simple:

The manifestos are out there, and websites like https://uk.isidewith.com/political-quiz are out there. It does not take long to educate yourself enough to have a better idea than most people, and it is worth doing.

*Splinter

This was my reason for not voting in the past. I always knew it was wrong though, the obvious answer is "get educated"

Not really, sounds like a deflective response to denounce any responsibility, and stop anyone actually arguing with it. I say is only because it begs the question 'why did you [her] not take any time to educate yourself?' It takes about 10 minutes to glance at the manifestos. That's enough to know who you should cast a vote for. The consideration in her answer doesn't hold as much water than the honest answer of "I couldn't care less."

Voted earlier on for Labour. Won't make a difference since I live in a pretty safe Tory seat but I still feel good about it. I'm expecting Labour to get massacred in the results, so I'm not going to get my hopes up. See you all on the other side.

pulsemyne

Hello from another fellow Swansea voter! Are you in Swansea East or West? I agree though, everyone here will be looking at Gower. I hope Labour takes it back!
Swansea East. Should be nice and safe but yeah the Gower is the one everyone's looking at. It barely went tory last time.

Orbis

It's funny working in London and basically all of my colleagues voting Labour and despising the Tories. On the way home to Bedfordshire which is Tory central. Oh well.

BraXzy

I understand the thought process of "I don't know and don't want to make an uninformed choice".. but I'm sorry, screw anyone who doesn't spend the time to figure out at least a basic understanding before deciding not to vote.

TheChamp

Just been out to vote and took one of my sisters, as well as my mum and dad.

It won't make a difference seeing as it's a rock solid Tory seat, but that's four votes for Labour :)

Same here but earlier took partents and both sisters to vote so thats 5 Labour votes........ Brother wasted his vote on Greens reasoning Labour wont win anyway

Dougald

A vote for UKIP would be a vote away from the conservative party at least.

The great irony in FPTP is that voting for a party you want to vote for can directly benefit another party you absolutely hate.

Good old democracy.

Yeah I am expecting 60%+ for the Conservatives here

Dazzler

When can we expect exit polls/concrete results, friends?

I'm in the Pacific Time Zone so hopefully I'll get some news before going to bed tonight

I understand the thought process of "I don't know and don't want to make an uninformed choice".. but I'm sorry, screw anyone who doesn't spend the time to figure out at least a basic understanding before deciding not to vote.

Some people just don't care enough to, and I can respect that. Other people's priorities are their own business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom