• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Britain, at least we can have a toast to both of our respective countries being doomed.

Cheers!

aI3ZFX01FKcuc.gif

The Real Bobble

Neo Member
Bristol North East here. Wife and I both voted labour. Hoping to get rid of Charlotte Leslie although not confident given that ukip didn't stand and the left is split between LD, Lab and greens and on the right you just have the Tories (and no comedy voting options either)
Having said that, Labour guy just knocked on my door and he reckons that turn out has been good, HQ is buzzing and that they think this is a seat they can win.... didn't sound completely convincing but at least we tried.
By the way labour seem to be out in force in this area but no sign of the Tories.... they must be confident.

Blader

Colleague at work today said she hasn't voted because she's not educated enough to make an informed decision, which I can somewhat respect. Replied that it sounds a bit more safer to not vote when you don't know what you're voting for, than to vote on something you have no real education on.

Anyone else encountered this sorta thought process?

Tell her to pull out her fucking phone and spend a few minutes googling parties and candidates, and vote for the things she agrees with.

It has literally never been easier in history to be an informed voter than today.

Stranya

Voted LD. Live in Tory Central in Surrey, with some guy who's been the MP for about 20y. Basically zero chance of him not winning. The first-past-the-post system is ludicrous. You could have one party winning every constituency by one vote, and the second losing every one by one vote, and the second party would not have a single MP, despite essentially half the country (countries) voting for them. Meaning half the country aren't properly represented. How is that democracy? Sigh.

Voted Labour.

Kind of interesting where I live, normally there's a few options including Green & UKIP but this time there's just the mainstream choices (Labour, Conservatives & Lib Dems) so hopefully that will make people choose the right one where we live since last time the count between Labour and the Tories was very close with the Tories JUST winning it. *fingers crossed*

Pandy

Voted LD. Live in Tory Central in Surrey, with some guy who's been the MP for about 20y. Basically zero chance of him not winning. The first-past-the-post system is ludicrous. You could have one party winning every constituency by one vote, and the second losing every one by one vote, and the second party would not have a single MP, despite essentially half the country (countries) voting for them. Meaning half the country aren't properly represented. How is that democracy? Sigh.

It's usually worse than that. 6/10 voters are not represented in the current system.

The arguable upside of the Tory landslide we expected on Day 1 would have been that the government would have actually had a the backing of a greater percentage of voters.

The average age at my polling station must have been around 120 which never bodes well. There's no chance Fox will be ousted anyway but I do what I can.

Stranya

It's usually worse than that. 6/10 voters are not represented in the current system.

The arguable upside of the Tory landslide we expected on Day 1 would have been that the government would have actually had a the backing of a greater percentage of voters.
My somewhat maybe perhaps realistic hope is that it isn't a Tory landslide, and that another party can force them to moderate their position on, well, everything. Worst case IMO is the Tories getting carte blanche to do whatever the fuck they like.

Arnie

Tweets about young people being turned away do not surprise me.

The whole system stinks. Top to bottom. Everyone calls out Russia...

Just look at the majority of our fucking newspapers.

Or the BBC.

Lego Boss

People at the polling station (Loughborough) reckon the turnout is low, perhaps even 50%.

Talk about representative democracy.

Voted Labour, more in hope that expectation. Loughborough has been a bellwether seat since the 1950s and is currently held by Nicky Morgan (who is a decent MP to be fair).

Voted Labour in Leicester South, which is a reasonably secure labour seat, I think it was +3000 or so last time. I'm at uni here, back home (South Norfolk) is 90% conservatives, ain't wasting my vote on that sheeeeet

FunkyMonk

Just got back from voting with the missus and our little fella. There was a lot more younger people voting and the polling officer said there's been a steady stream throughout the day.

Also there was a sizeable group of young children, between 6 and 10 years old I reckon, on a park near the polling station chanting for Labour and cheering when people agreed with tgem. It was rather cute tbh, I hope they keep that level of enthusiasm when they get to 18!

People at the polling station (Loughborough) reckon the turnout is low, perhaps even 50%.

Talk about representative democracy.

Voted Labour, more in hope that expectation. Loughborough has been a bellwether seat since the 1950s and is currently held by Nicky Morgan (who is a decent MP to be fair).

I'm next door in the Charnwood constituency (Loughborough is my home town). This place is for sure a tory safe seat.

Tweets about young people being turned away do not surprise me.

The whole system stinks. Top to bottom. Everyone calls out Russia...

Just look at the majority of our fucking newspapers.

Or the BBC.

Really?

Hmm. I've seen loads of stuff about young people excited to vote for the first time.

It'll be interesting to see a demographic breakdown after its all over. Maybe more young people did come out to vote, but would they still be the major age group that could have done more or will it be middle age/old people who dropped the ball this time around.

RiggyRob

Where are people getting only 3-4 candidates?

We had Con, UKIP, Labour, Lib Dem, Green and the Christian Alliance here, genuinely baffles me why there's such a big difference.

*Splinter

Really?

Hmm. I've seen loads of stuff about young people excited to vote for the first time.

It'll be interesting to see a demographic breakdown after its all over. Maybe more young people did come out to vote, but would they still be the major age group that could have done more or will it be middle age/old people who dropped the ball this time around.
It will always be young people. Getting people to vote the first time is the hardest part, after that they'll probably keep voting.

(Tales from my ass)

FunkyMonk

Where are people getting only 3-4 candidates?

We had Con, UKIP, Labour, Lib Dem, Green and the Christian Alliance here, genuinely baffles me why there's such a big difference.

We had Labour, green, lib dem, Tory and... the BN fucking P. I kinda expected ukip but the bnp surprised me.

It will always be young people. Getting people to vote the first time is the hardest part, after that they'll probably keep voting.

(Tales from my ass)

I suppose.

My personal...not victory, but solace, is that the people on my course at Uni all voted Labour and maybe got one or two family to vote Labour. Like one girl getting her Dad to Vote Labour even though his tax bracket would be better off with a Tory government. If the next few years are gonna be tough and so on at least I suffer with relatively like minded people :p

Syder

We have a Christian Peoples Alliance candidate too, I used to go to school with him, complete weirdo.

My buddy is in a safe Con seat and he thought it'd be funny to vote for them.

Ash735

Fucking Old People and The Sun/Daily Mail, first time in a very long time my grandfather voted Conservative because "that terrorist Corbyn will ruin us" and one uncle going Conservative "I wouldn't trust Dianne Abbott with a calculator, let alone helping the country" and another uncle is all "I can't be bothered with this shit anymore". My dad (long time Labour supporter) was fuming.

gngf123

On my train home today I sat not far from a bunch of guys seriously saying that they weren't going to "vote commie".

I really thought that shit would stay in America, but I guess not.

Morat

Banned
On my train home today I sat not far from a bunch of guys seriously saying that they weren't going to "vote commie".

I really thought that shit would stay in America, but I guess not.

The wind from the west blows hard, it's true. But this is all on us and our revolting media.

Jonnax

Yeah, my sister at who registered to vote before the deadline got turned away at her uni town.

Might be a honest mistake but since it's a tory seat I'm sure young people will feel that it's pretty corrupt.

Fucking Old People and The Sun/Daily Mail, first time in a very long time my grandfather voted Conservative because "that terrorist Corbyn will ruin us" and one uncle going Conservative "I wouldn't trust Dianne Abbott with a calculator, let alone helping the country" and another uncle is all "I can't be bothered with this shit anymore". My dad (long time Labour supporter) was fuming.

Seeing family who mocked American's falling for the media smear job vote Conservative because they can't bring themselves to vote Corbin is the most annoying shit. Especially when my job's in care-work and they're actively trying to make things harder for me at a time when I'm facing unemployment.

Palmer27

Yeah, my sister at who registered to vote before the deadline got turned away at her uni town.

Might be a honest mistake but since it's a tory seat I'm sure young people will feel that it's pretty corrupt.

The postal vote was too slow being sorted on campus for me. It's not a conspiracy as much as a system that's not been updated as necessary in order for students to vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom