• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidtmd

Banned
Oh Maaaaaaaay

pGq8h8R.gif

ibyea

Banned
Confused-American here. Everyone on my Twitter is freaking out that the Conservatives won but everyone in this thread seems really happy. Can someone explain?

Because the prediction was that everyone not Tory were already dead. A hung parliament was the best we could hope for and it may happen!

Confused-American here. Everyone on my Twitter is freaking out that the Conservatives won but everyone in this thread seems really happy. Can someone explain?

It's not entirely sure yet, just exit polls. But. The Tories may not have the majority, which means that they can only have a coalition government or a minority government, which means that the opposition can hang the parliament.

The exit polls says that the Conservatives lost seats, enough that they would not be able to form a government on their own. (assuming the exit poll is accurate)

Anth1888

The vote will probably still go ahead when Brexit is further down the line (or completed) and is fucking the UK up. It might show the battle to convince Scots to vote YES is going to be very very hard.

I agree. It's tough up here for another referendum. It will be interesting to see the seats that have switched back to Labour or moved to the Tories.

Conservatives dont have enough seats to form a Government, similar to how in america you need a majority, Other political parties can band together to from a government if they have enough votes in the UK

The Tories needed 326 to get a majority, but that backfired and they lost seats so now they will need to reach across the aisle to make decisions. So while they still lead, they can't ram through whatever they want (I take it)

So what you lot don't know is that I posted a thread on the private forum of Lib Dem Voice at the start of the campaign postulating on a hung parliament, because I thought it was possible.

http%3A%2F%2Fmashable.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F06%2FBeaker.gif

mo60

I guess now May can claim the naughtiest thing she's ever done is blow a 20 point lead

Maybe she should have looked at what happened with the Alberta PC's and other poliitcal parties in other countries that called elections way before they should have.

Conservatives have won but they do not have enough seats to beat the combined seats of their opposition.

Exit polls can change so nothings certain and theres little chance a coalition of all other parties (Labour + LD + SNP + GP etc) happens.

Come on lib dems. Grow a backbone and stand up against May, don't join a coalition please. We have all worked so hard to save the NHS, public services and to end austerity. Don't F it up now.

Conservatives were supposed to win a landslide in this election - it's one of the reasons they called it - to have a more secure majority and to extend the period of time to the next (mandatory) election until we're a couple of years clear of the inevitable shit-show that will be Brexit.

If this poll is anywhere near correct, they'll have lost seats, perhaps even a majority (and would either have to form a coalition, or a minority government that would likely not be stable).

Even if they manage an official coalition, that would be a highly unpredictable, volatile and unstable coalition. Even more so when Labour goes minority government. With this hung parliaments, fringe parties like Plaid Cymru, even if their politics are nice in theory, would have unprecented power over the government.

Right. Labour+SNP+LD would be good though, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom