• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.
They do have to be certified, they just don't have to be immediately certified and you can trade in the interim (but what that doesn't tell you is that WTO members can raise countervailing measures against non certified schedules prior to going through the dispute process, the UK would then have to prove that their non certified schedules were valid. This is opposed to the normal method where the party taking countervailing measures have to prove the damage)

I didn't say they never have to be. Point was we don't leave the WTO then reapply and wait, we remove ourselves from EU schedules, set up our own and go from there so yes we can go fall back to WTO should we need to.

HaloRose

Banned
I don't think labour will election it be some new party will rise! Spitting from labour or party coming out of no where like the labour party did beginning of 20th century!

Syder

UKIP supporters on twitter this morning have given me a hearty laugh or two.
KuGsj.gif

krioto

It's simple. There's just a massive amount of right wing cunts in England. They vote for other right wing cunts. Occasionally Labour will convince enough of the right wing cunts that they are convincing enough right wing cunts to be the right wing cunts in charge, normally that only happens when the current right wing cunts in charge become such massive right wing cunts that the right wing cunts who vote them in say "I know we're right wing cunts, but we're not that right wing, cunts"

I don't think I've ever seen it put so succinctly, but your assessment is quite accurate

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think labour will election it be some need party will rise! Spitting from labour or party coming out of no where like the labour party did beginning of 20th century!

Pas vraiment. Le système FPTP signifie que les nouvelles parties ne réussissent pas. Tout au plus, ils influencent les deux parties principales avant de s'effondrer - pareil à l'UKIP.

HaloRose

Banned
Pas vraiment. Le système FPTP signifie que les nouvelles parties ne réussissent pas. Tout au plus, ils influencent les deux parties principales avant de s'effondrer - pareil à l'UKIP.

Yes true but they say same thing back then but the liberal party collapse and labour take the Opposition

Maledict

Yes true but they say same thing back then but the liberal party collapse and labour take the Opposition

But that was on the back of a massive, fundamental societal change. It didn't just happen out of no-where or because people were pissed at liberals. Huge numbers of people were joining unions, becoming politically active and demanding change in a way we've never seen before or since.

I don't think we can rely on a once in three hundred years event to change our political landscape - the only thing I could think of that might cause that to happen is if young people started voting like old people perhaps?

TimmmV

It's simple. There's just a massive amount of right wing cunts in England. They vote for other right wing cunts. Occasionally Labour will convince enough of the right wing cunts that they are convincing enough right wing cunts to be the right wing cunts in charge, normally that only happens when the current right wing cunts in charge become such massive right wing cunts that the right wing cunts who vote them in say "I know we're right wing cunts, but we're not that right wing, cunts"

fsr I read this in Begbie from Trainspottings voice

Mayoral election turnouts for Liverpool and Manchester under 30%. It's probably in line with local elections more generally, but I would have hoped for closer to 40/45%, given how often people in these parts moan about power being concentrated in the south East, and a lack of democratic accountability.

That said, it wasn't well advertised tbh, the general election has robbed most of the attention, and the general atmosphere of apathy towards politics is huge.

It was never going to be that high in Manchester, who didn't even want one in the first place.

Most people I've spoken to here don't really see the point in it existing, or what power the elected mayors have, and tbh I kind of sympathise with those points of view too (despite voting in the end)

7aged

Most people just want a quiet life and stability which is what the Tories are offering.

I find it ironic that the party the brought us brexit and the people who vote for them claim a desire for quiet stability. Whatever your views on the merits of brexit, there can be no denying that it represents a major dislocation.

Murkas

Well, it's something in the back of my mind. My partner and I did actually teach in Bangkok for about 6 months 4 years ago, and we both have CELTAS as I said before. Thailand was a too far out, and my girlfriend felt a little disconnected from her family.

She's pretty keen to get out there again, and would like to Europe as its a similar culture and closer to family. To be honest, it's me dragging my feet about this. We have both settled during this time, and we have a house and cats to consider. I've also accumulated belongings which I'm not keen to get rid of. Also a little debt to sort out but that shouldn't take long to resolve.

So Europe seems the most sensible option, but we're obviously leaving that. No idea if we should rush out and get there before or after Brexit.

Luckily we can kinda get around this, my gfs father is Irish and my grandfather was Italian. We could get European passports but there will be a decent cost attached to it (especially mine as I have little documentation of my grandfather). That will delay us getting out too.

I'm pretty stumped, not sure what to do really. That's not even taking into consideration the job.

How old is your CELTA, finished mine back around Christmas time. Trying to leg it from here as well.

I get the don't wanna go too far and be disconnected from family, but I think it's best to look at in a sense that it's only a days travel back no matter how you go.

China is a guaranteed job I heard if you're looking for teaching job even with little/old experience.

Chinner

Banned
How old is your CELTA, finished mine back around Christmas time. Trying to leg it from here as well.

I get the don't wanna go too far and be disconnected from family, but I think it's best to look at in a sense that it's only a days travel back no matter how you go.

China is a guaranteed job I heard if you're looking for teaching job even with little/old experience.
4-5 years old at this point tbh. China is probably too far out, and I imagine Europe will be quite selective like South Korea and Japan.

They've been lurching to the right for years, they might as well just go the whole hog and call themselves Cons v2.

You what?! It's high water mark for righty'ness was about 20 years ago!

It's what they're publicising. What they're actually offering is entirely different.

It's hard to launch the argument that the people don't know what they're voting for when it's the party that's been in government for the last 7 years.

I find it ironic that the party the brought us brexit and the people who vote for them claim a desire for quiet stability. Whatever your views on the merits of brexit, there can be no denying that it represents a major dislocation.

Brexit was cast as a vote against the establishment.
Ding ding, Tories prosper.

Uzzy

UKIP collapsing and returning to the Tories might speed up the last part.

Basically, if you're a right/centre-right voter, your options are Conservatives and Conservatives. UKIP have achieved their raison d'etre and anyway, the Tories have adopted their policies and are hoovering up their voters.

If you're a centrist/centre-left/left leaning voter, you've got a lot more options.

Audioboxer

It's becoming increasingly clear that in Scotland we need to keep as much SNP seats as we can come June. If only to stand up to what is more and more looking to be an extremely strong Torie majority in the rest of the UK.

I think many NO leaning voters here are turning Tory in Scotland despite their mainly left leaning views. They will not vote SNP due to their independence stance, but would not vote for the current Labour party as they probably used to.

I'm worried that this will translate to more Torie seats in Scotland.

I think the biggest worry is tactical voting. I'm certain people who oppose independence voted SNP in the 2015 GE because that would have been largely about policy and ironically keeping the Tories out. They'd have served their Unionist purpose as "once in a lifetime vote". Now the pressing issue is worrying about independence again at the cost of sidelining policy to vote for the strongest Unionist party. Considering how badly Labour have collapsed that means... Voting Tory.

If these people exist I'd sure like to debate with them! Especially after the Brexit result up here. There really should be a further decrease of Tories and a split between SNP/Labour/Greens/Lib Dems if anything. As much as Labour are a silent leave party their approach to negotiations still wouldn't be as chaotic as the Tories.

SNP or Greens are obviously the parties to go for to show support for the EU. However, that stumbling block of Scottish independence is just too much for remain voting Tory policy disliking Scots. Crazy. They'd rather go Tory no matter what as as the Tory campaign material says in the North, it's all about indyref2.

Also, those Labour figures on the BBC News right now. Christ, the rUK is really going all in.... Says me anxiously waiting Scotland results. It's obvious for me to only way to escape the Tories is to leave the UK. Seems like the huge political debate will be convincing enough fellow Scots.

PJV3

Basically, if you're a right/centre-right voter, your options are Conservatives and Conservatives. UKIP have achieved their raison d'etre and anyway, the Tories have adopted their policies and are hoovering up their voters.

If you're a centrist/centre-left/left leaning voter, you've got a lot more options.

If you are a right wing maniac and want a career in politics the Tories are now the only show in town. They will have to tolerate the gay stuff for now, but they can work on bringing back the death penalty etc.

Meadows

Banned
New major political parties don't often just spring up out of nothing, they require truly massive shifts in the electorate caused by similarly huge societal events.

So I mean, Brexit is a big change, but I don't think it compares to a 700% increase in the electorate, or a couple of World Wars.

IDK, if Labour becomes an absolute shell and is sub 100 seats, I can see a future where we have the Conservatives (basically UKIP and the Tories) vs the progressive alliance (Green, LD, Labour).

These parties would avoid running against each other in seats where they have been traditionally strongest (e.g. LD would go vs Conservative in south Manchester, west London, Green would stand in Brighton, Lab would stand in northern towns) and would enter into a coalition government where they'd basically have to learn to get along. This is the only way to have this kind of arrangement, which is common in Europe, with our electoral system.

I can't see the SNP joining in with this due to their obvious main goal of Scottish independence, which is something that would be seen as toxic to most voters of LD, Lab in England and Wales. PC is more likely as support for Welsh independence is so low.

As long as Labour continues on its current path, this becomes more likely to happen.

Maledict

If you are a right wing maniac and want a career in politics the Tories are now the only show in town. They will have to tolerate the gay stuff for now, but they can work on bringing back the death penalty etc.

The Tory party isn't going back on the gay stuff. They just threw out a sitting Tory mp of many years for saying something that would have been ignored even a decade ago. The core of the party's parliamentary party is onboard with this (look at the number of recantations from MPs who voted against gay marriage). Young conservatives are completely fine with gay rights and indeed support them. It's just the older base that is still anti-gay, and that volume shrinks each year.

Plus going back on gay rights wins them absolutely nothing and costs them quite a bit in terms of sub-40 voters.

Jezbollah

The only good news so far for Labour is that the Tory propagation in Wales seems to be overstated at the moment.. of course, all that could change come next month..

Audioboxer

lol rumblings on Twitter votes being nuked because numptys were putting X's on the paper. The ladies at my polling station said about 15 times do you know what to do/this is what to do.

Escape clause for Labour! Just say all their voters were putting X's and we need a do-over!

The Tory party isn't going back on the gay stuff. They just threw out a sitting Tory mp of many years for saying something that would have been ignored even a decade ago. The core of the party's parliamentary party is onboard with this (look at the number of recantations from MPs who voted against gay marriage). Young conservatives are completely fine with gay rights and indeed support them. It's just the older base that is still anti-gay, and that volume shrinks each year.

Plus going back on gay rights wins them absolutely nothing and costs them quite a bit in terms of sub-40 voters.

Even I agree. Unlike America our loopy Christian fundamentalists are far more tame. The "polite British way" often means keeping it to yourself what you think of relationships/sex stuff. To the extreme of me thinking sex education in our country is abysmal but that's another topic.

The open contempt that the Tories have is more aimed at the poor/sick/disabled/immigrants and as an off shoot of that the NHS because "privatisation" is a sign of wealth/prosperity and elitism. As is leaving the EU because "hi America the UK is a global bad ass with Nukes and independence!".

The 'left', very generally speaking, won that battle. They have to win the economic one, though. Losing it currently, in one of the few times identity trumps economics, i.e. Brexit.

PJV3

That's what I'm saying, the ambitious ultra Christian conservative doesn't have anywhere else to go now, they will have to put up with it. The grass roots of the party wasn't really on board so they won't be isolated or anything.

jelly

lol rumblings on Twitter votes being nuked because numptys were putting X's on the paper. The ladies at my polling station said about 15 times do you know what to do/this is what to do.

Escape clause for Labour! Just say all their voters were putting X's and we need a do-over!

How can people not know this, it says right on the card. I got told not to fold it half way because machines count them.

Jackpot

Banned
My Lib Dem Councillor held her seat by just 50 votes. But county is now a strong Tory majority.

Proportionally, Lib Dems might perform worse than Labour.

How can people not know this, it says right on the card. I got told not to fold it half way because machines count them.

Mine expressly said put an X and came pre-folded in half?

Audioboxer

Rushing people not reading or listening properly.

Wait, mine did tell me to put an X....

Does your council only have 2 options or something? I guess a handful of local councils might do it differently. In mine 4 people are brought in out of 7 choices. So they were asking to number 1 to 3, preferably 1 to 4 but at least 1/2. Or 1 right through 7 was fine. I did 1 to 4, as 3 of the choices were Tories and no thanks.

PJV3

I don't think I've ever heard of an election being decided by drawing straws, I almost felt sorry for the Tory.

The returning officer was then forced to decide the election by the drawing of straws, with the Liberal Democrat candidate Lesley Rickerby picking the right one to defeat Tory Daniel Carr.

This finally brought to an end a nail-biting ten-hour wait for the candidates.

Rickerby called the experience “very traumatic”

Does your council only have 2 options or something? I guess a handful of local councils might do it differently. In mine 4 people are brought in out of 7 choices. So they were asking to number 1 to 3, preferably 1 to 4 but at least 1/2. Or 1 right through 7 was fine. I did 1 to 4, as 3 of the choices were Tories and no thanks.

Ah right, mine was an election for a seat on the local council between 4 people.

My paper came pre folded and it was just a case of marking (with an X) one option.

Audioboxer

Ah right, mine was an election for a seat on the local council between 4 people.

My paper came pre folded and it was just a case of marking (with an X) one option.

Yeah, no need to number if it's just one person. In areas with multiple people weighting through numbering makes sense. It's in such areas if you've put X's it will void the vote. These will be manual count areas as well.

kmag

Conservative councillor elected to Ferguslie Park in Paisley. What the fuck.

Glasgow areas with high amounts of traditionally loyalist support will be voting Tory this time around. A Tory councillor was returned in Shettleston which is the most deprived area in the country.

The Tories have successfully made themselves the face of unionism in Scotland. The voting system means a lot of people who wouldn't vote Tory are putting them down as a lower option.

Audioboxer

Glasgow areas with high amounts of traditionally loyalist support will be voting Tory this time around. A Tory councillor was returned in Shettleston which is the most deprived area in the country.

The Tories have successfully made themselves the face of unionism in Scotland.

Yup. Instead of fighting between Labour/Conservatives for Unionists votes they are all unifying behind the Tories. Across the UK UKIP have gotten wiped out as their voters go to the Tories as well.

Even Alex Salmond is framing it as Conservatives will get gains but Scotland will be the only place they're beaten.

Still, anxious times ahead to wait and see how big the gains are.

Lirlond

If you number the tories last it counts against them. Should have went all the way to 7

Moosichu

Oh, right. Different in some places. Still, people should read.

No. That is terrible UI design. You don't tell people how to use an interface, you observe usage and design your interface around that.

There is a mountain of research showing that telling people what to do does jack shit.

Audioboxer

If you number the tories last it counts against them. Should have went all the way to 7

Really? I thought it would still give them some "weighting". No numbering effectively means "0%"? Ah well.

I know a few people who hate the idea of another Independence vote and won't vote SNP, hate Labour, think Lib Dens are useless so the vote goes to the Tories. I feel that will be quite common until the full effects of Brexit come clear then they may change.

The interesting stat for me is how many voted remain and are now flocking to the Tories because of indyref2. The battle of how many Unionists will choose the EU over the UK, if any.

jelly

I know a few people who hate the idea of another Independence vote and won't vote SNP, hate Labour, think Lib Dems are useless so the vote goes to the Tories. I feel that will be quite common until the full effects of Brexit come clear then they may change or not. There seems to be wait and see attitude outside the EU going around.

Carl2291

The collapse of UKIP will be more felt in the GE when that 3.8 Million decide to lump on the Conservatives.

Seats where they run Labour close could potentially swing to the Tories. Seats where they run the Tories close will only give them a bigger majority.

It's not really to be celebrated by the left. It just shows the UKIP job is done.

cabot

Seems my old council (my family still live there) North Lanarkshire also got a Tory seat.

They had 0 seats in 2012, it was mostly Labour/SNP

Meadows

Banned
Juncker is an absolute clown. Useless.

Again, I think we should have voted Remain, but he is pretty symptomatic of the issues that there are in the EU. Kind of an arrogant swagger about the fact the bridge he's standing on is starting to break underneath him.

No, I'm not trying to say that the UK government is any better, but just because our side is crap doesn't mean we should pretend the EU is all roses and sunshine.

- A tepid at best growth rate (eurozone) for ten years http://www.tradingeconomics.com/euro-area/gdp-growth
- Leaving Greece in the lurch for years
- The rise of populist parties in Spain, Italy and Greece
- Brexit
- The rise of Le Pen in France

As fucking idiotic as brexit is, the EU is in trouble and as long as people like Juncker fail to see that things will get worse. Macron winning will help things though, I hope he achieves in his ambitions to reform the union.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom