• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparse

The Tory candidate won the West of England metro mayor election. I'd say his name, but I only know him as "Theresa May's local candidate".

No candidate got over 50% so they had to take into account second preferences (I voted second pref Tory). Turnout was under 30%! Is that worse than PCC elections?

Edit: No the PCC was still slightly worse on 27%

Yup, seeing such a low turn-out has fucked me off quite a bit.

pswii60

Juncker is an absolute clown. Useless.

Again, I think we should have voted Remain, but he is pretty symptomatic of the issues that there are in the EU. Kind of an arrogant swagger about the fact the bridge he's standing on is starting to break underneath him.

No, I'm not trying to say that the UK government is any better, but just because our side is crap doesn't mean we should pretend the EU is all roses and sunshine.

- A tepid at best growth rate (eurozone) for ten years http://www.tradingeconomics.com/euro-area/gdp-growth
- Leaving Greece in the lurch for years
- The rise of populist parties in Spain, Italy and Greece
- Brexit
- The rise of Le Pen in France

As fucking idiotic as brexit is, the EU is in trouble and as long as people like Juncker fail to see that things will get worse. Macron winning will help things though, I hope he achieves in his ambitions to reform the union.
I voted to remain and still wish we were remaining, but you're right. As I said earlier, I wish we could lock May and Juncker away in a dark room and let them out in two years.

WhatNXt

Juncker seems to be trying to be something of a professional wind up merchant

I'm more pessimistic about the future of the UK than I am about the future of the EU.

The only sliver of pleasure I would take from a Tory victory in June would be the fact that they are doing their level best to create a geopolitical rod for their own back, and that whoever has to see through Brexit is taking on a poison chalice of historically significant proportions. The people who think the UK is going to get a good deal are sounding hopelessly optimistic and naive. If it doesn't push us further down the hill of social and economic progress I will be amazed.

Audioboxer

Seems my old council (my family still live there) North Lanarkshire also got a Tory seat.

They had 0 seats in 2012, it was mostly Labour/SNP

Celtic/Rangers fans will be some of the biggest Unionists around. Mostly Rangers. Areas around Glasgow are always going to be fiercely contested.

As speculated earlier the Conservatives have made themselves the Unionist party, so some are selling their morals out to switch from Labour to Tory in the race to nullify any threat of Scotland leaving the UK.

Sordid

In my wee corner of Aberdeenshire we elected 3 councillors. 1 Conservative, 1 SNP and 1 Independent. The Tory councillor got more than the other 2 combined.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39816044

Oh Juncker, just because Theresa says silly things doesn't mean you have to too.

I think we should lock the pair of them away in a room and let everyone else have sensible negotiations in their absence.

Seemed like a pretty witty comment about the current situation. I know a lot of brits have lost their humour about this but no way does it compare to the paranoia and xenophobia coming from May.

PJV3

Again, I think we should have voted Remain, but he is pretty symptomatic of the issues that there are in the EU. Kind of an arrogant swagger about the fact the bridge he's standing on is starting to break underneath him.

No, I'm not trying to say that the UK government is any better, but just because our side is crap doesn't mean we should pretend the EU is all roses and sunshine.

- A tepid at best growth rate (eurozone) for ten years http://www.tradingeconomics.com/euro-area/gdp-growth
- Brexit

As fucking idiotic as brexit is, the EU is in trouble and as long as people like Juncker fail to see that things will get worse. Macron winning will help things though, I hope he achieves in his ambitions to reform the union.

It seems more like a global thing, the last hangover of the financial crisis, the EU being multi-speed and a little more flexible is probably enough to sort it out.

And Greece looks like it will get help finally, that problem was more about national governments and austerity politics than the EU.

Juncker has had to deal with Farage and the rest of the shit show the Brits decided to send to the European Parliament. He's being far less petty than what I'd be...

PJV3

Juncker has had to deal with Farage and the rest of the shit show the Brits decided to send to the European Parliament. He's being far less petty than what I'd be...

The office party over there when Farage finally goes will be amazing.

Audioboxer

Polls coming in at 35~45% attendance. The first question to ever ask anyone moaning about anything political, did you vote?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly, we need to have less Councils and bigger Council areas. They're too small to do anything influential over people's lives, so nobody bothers voting for them. Our local town council was uncontested - so why even bother having an election? When turnout rates are that low, the problem isn't the people, it's the system.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

- Brexit

You do realise that you're getting all worked up over a joke, I hope.

Greddleok

I'm so apathetic over this election. I don't live in the UK any more, but even if I did vote, I don't see how it would make a difference: my old constituency has a 100% record of Labour wins.
I also feel completely disenfranchised right now. I don't want to vote for any of the candidates, and even if my preferred imaginary candidate did get elected, it still wouldn't make a difference.

Kinda feel like the SNP is fucking over British politics right now. Congrats SNP, you're in parliament, now we'll have a Tory majority until you split from the UK.

Audioboxer

Honestly, we need to have less Councils and bigger Council areas. They're too small to do anything influential over people's lives, so nobody bothers voting for them. Our local town council was uncontested - so why even bother having an election? When turnout rates are that low, the problem isn't the people, it's the system.

No excuses. Part-time voters need to take a good look at themselves, especially if they want to retain their respect in being vocal about their political beliefs.

Apathy/laziness is a mind virus, it's not an excuse. You're asked for 15-30 mins out of one day of the year and you think "I can't be arsed/woe is me" is a respectable position to take? Have more self-respect for yourself, your right to vote and those around you who do bother their arses fighting for every small morsel of political power.

(not aimed at you Crab, general musings for non-voters)

I'm so apathetic over this election. I don't live in the UK any more, but even if I did vote, I don't see how it would make a difference: my old constituency has a 100% record of Labour wins.
I also feel completely disenfranchised right now. I don't want to vote for any of the candidates, and even if my preferred imaginary candidate did get elected, it still wouldn't make a difference.

Kinda feel like the SNP is fucking over British politics right now. Congrats SNP, you're in parliament, now we'll have a Tory majority until you split from the UK.

People in England can't vote SNP. If you mean Scotland, any gains up here for Labour are never enough to stem England going full Tory. You can't blame the people for flocking to a real alternative to the Tories. It's up to Labour to offer that better than the SNP, and they've been failing for a while.

Labour voters trying to blame the SNP for their woes are probably part of the reason Labour faced a red wedding in the 2015 GE in Scotland.

PJV3

You do realise that you're getting all worked up over a joke, I hope.

"And at that point - despite the success, despite the growth - our British friends decided to leave the EU, which is a tragedy.

"We shouldn't underestimate the importance of the decision made by the British people. It is no small event.

"Of course we will negotiate with our British friends in full transparency, but there should be no doubt whatsoever that it is not the EU which is abandoning the UK, it is the opposite - they are abandoning the EU".

The words of UK hating Juncker from the same speech.

*Splinter

It's not like the Tories would lose their majority without the SNP?

I'm in the same position with the rest of this post though (except 100% Tory instead of Labour). At this rate it's going to be hard to resist spoiling my ballot on June 8th.

Protome

I'd love to hear how you came to this nonsensical conclusion.
Tories have a majority despite how Scotland votes. Not because of it.

Nah - Labour are screwing themselves over - if they were half competitive they could ally with SNP quite easily to prevent a Tory majority.

Fact is Labour are a headless & legless chicken right now

TimmmV

- Brexit

The EU isnt perfect but thats a bit of an overreaction.

I'd also add that while populist parties are more popular in Spain, support for the EU is pretty overwhelming, there isn't any threat to the EU from them at all. You shouldn't include them there.

And Le Pen isn't a new problem in France either. I guess we will see come next week, but it seems that the popularity of her is exaggerated by the pro-brexit British press, and Macron will win.

Greddleok

People in England can't vote SNP. If you mean Scotland, any gains up here for Labour are never enough to stem England going full Tory. You can't blame the people for flocking to a real alternative to the Tories. It's up to Labour to offer that better than the SNP, and they've been failing for a while.

Fair enough. I think it's just part of my general apathy towards the whole thing right now that makes me want to find someone to blame.
I certainly don't blame people voting SNP, but I did (wrongly, apparently) blame SNP victory for Labour's serious losses.

In the end, it doesn't really matter. I may as well spoil my ballot (although voting from overseas to spoil my ballot feels like a waste of my time and effort). Whether I vote or not, Labour will win in my constituency. I used to be OK with that, but now I don't even know.

I'd love to hear how you came to this nonsensical conclusion.
Tories have a majority despite how Scotland votes. Not because of it.

Nonsense. The tory upsurge in scotland is a direct consequence of the SNP banging the independence drum, it was always the natural conclusion that they'd decline and face real tory opposition at some stage.

For some reason an incredibly delusional narrative has been coming out of Scotland, with many on the internet seeming to believe it's a bastion of liberal social democracy. The SNP are to the right of New Labour and the Tories have always had a strong showing in Scotland, first past the post kept them down for a number of years but over the course of it's history Scotland has always been a deeply conservative country.

StayDead

Polls coming in at 35~45% attendance. The first question to ever ask anyone moaning about anything political, did you vote?

I voted for the local Lib Dem guy. Barely anyone cares or votes for the local elections unfortunately.

The winner of a local council seat has been decided in an unusual way after two recounts failed to produce a winner. At South Blyth, in Northumberland, the candidates drew straws after they received exactly the same number of votes. The Lib Dem pulled the longer straw - denying the Tories overall control of the council.

This is just sad. At least the Lib Dem guy won.

It's a pretty hard pill to swallow when you figure out that most people in this country have a different worldview to yours. This reinforces my desire to leave and go find a country that is a better fit culturally. Germany is looking very appealing these days. Sensible, good governance and better voting system, (still) affordable housing for rent. Already enrolled on some German classes.

Regulars of UK-GAF who are looking to leave the UK, is web development a good skill to have to emigrate? 'Programming' is on skill shortage lists but I don't know if web development specifically counts. I know it's a good job to go into if I want to move to Ireland but I don't know about elsewhere.

Of course, I will carry on voting and continue fighting for those who are here despite this. No excuse not to. Also, it feels like Scottish independence is dead in the water because Conservatives will make big gains in Scotland.

Audioboxer

Nah - Labour are screwing themselves over - if they were half competitive they could ally with SNP quite easily to prevent a Tory majority.

Fact is Labour are a headless & legless chicken right now

In trying to continue to court the Unionist vote, and not piss off the rUK voters who detest Scotland trying to break away, they're always going to be chicken shit about an alliance. The Tories nuked them off the face of the planet last GE by framing it as Labour in the SNPs pockets. It's toxicity by association as support of Scottish independence in the rUK is minuscule. Even with a small surge of Brexit remain voters and the "save yourself Scotland" phrases. Most still want the UK to remain the UK. A lot have outright contempt for Scotland daring to threaten breaking the UK up/flag changing and history being re-written.

In Scotland, it's obviously a lot more contested as the people that live here feel the decision holds a lot more weight to their lives. However, due to how divided Scotland is over it Scottish Labour are extra scared of associating with the SNP in fear of losing their Scottish unionist support.... Which they've now lost anyway. The Conservatives now offer far stronger Unionist opposition, and in terms of being a compassionate, inclusive forward-thinking party the SNP are easily beating Labour. Even the Greens are. So a mixture of not having enough strident commitment to court the Unionists, and not being vocal and supportive of enough social issues like the SNP leaves Labour without conviction and wiped out in Scotland.

Ironically it's not that great for the SNP either, as it's translating into Tory gains.

Fair enough. I think it's just part of my general apathy towards the whole thing right now that makes me want to find someone to blame.
I certainly don't blame people voting SNP, but I did (wrongly, apparently) blame SNP victory for Labour's serious losses.

In the end, it doesn't really matter. I may as well spoil my ballot (although voting from overseas to spoil my ballot feels like a waste of my time and effort). Whether I vote or not, Labour will win in my constituency. I used to be OK with that, but now I don't even know.

I get some general lashing out and anger, but British politics by large are being fucked over by Labour having a terrible leader, and the party not knowing what to do with itself. Also that the Tories are veering further right than they ever have before, and there seems to be very little opposition within the party to challenge any of the headbangers up top.

I voted for the local Lib Dem guy. Barely anyone cares or votes for the local elections unfortunately.

This is just sad. At least the Lib Dem guy won.

Voting is voting. I'd much rather see people vote something than vote nothing. As I've said previously in here that even extends to voting Tory. Just don't be lazy/apathetic.

- Brexit

i disagree. There are populist parties all over the world so thats not a symptom exclusive to the EU. On the contrary a populist left party won in greece but ultimately they are now working with the EU and the first results are showing. Also its wrong to say greese was in the lurch. The EU has refinanced the debt that greece has and the debt was result of the greek spending not the EU. Le Pen was strong in france before the financial crisis or the brexit its a french problem because PS and UNP are dominated by ENA Elites that have no regard to problems of other people.

So yeah its easy to use Juncker as the scapegoat but its short sighted and just wrong.

Greddleok

It's a pretty hard pill to swallow when you figure out that most people in this country have a different worldview to yours. This reinforces my desire to leave and go find a country that is a better fit culturally. Germany is looking very appealing these days. Sensible, good governance and better voting system, (still) affordable housing for rent. Already enrolled on some German classes.

As someone who lives in Germany, it's certainly no paradise. I'm genuinely counting the days until I can go back to the UK despite what's wrong with it.

Still, I made the mistake of essentially going to Germany's version of Slough.

Labour hold Cardiff.

Phil Bale, council leader, has held onto his seat (surprisingly his ward returned 2 CON, 1 LAB, 1 LD) . Whether he will survive as leader is questionable, a meeting between Labour councillors is scheduled for tomorrow where no doubt they will try to boot him out for a 3rd time.

Conservatives gained 13 seats and are now the 2nd biggest party on 20 seats, LAB/LD lost 6 and 5 seats respectively.

Apparently this is a good result as Labour were expecting to to lose control. I don't know where they got that prediction from, as that would have been a spectacular collapse. Unless the new Labour policy is to grossly underestimate your chances so any win is hailed as a glorious victory. :/

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
If Corbyn and McDonald go. Can they take Dianne Abbot with them.

Erm, excuse me? Bins?

Bins, Crab?

Labour hold Cardiff.

Phil Bale, council leader, has held onto his seat (surprisingly his ward returned 2 CON, 1 LAB, 1 LD) . Whether he will survive as leader is questionable, a meeting between Labour councillors is scheduled for tomorrow where no doubt they will try to boot him out for a 3rd time.

Conservatives gained 13 seats and are now the 2nd biggest party on 20 seats, LAB/LD lost 6 and 5 seats respectively.

Apparently this is a good result as Labour were expecting to to lose control. I don't know where they got that prediction from, as that would have been a spectacular collapse. Unless the new Labour policy is to grossly underestimate your chances so any win is hailed as a glorious victory. :/

Everything that comes out of the leadership at this stage has to be viewed through the lense of a dense animal fighting for survival. They've taken the opportunity at this election to campaign solely in high membership, pro-Corbyn areas. They've never had any intention of winning, they're just about ensuring their own legacy.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Erm, excuse me? Bins?

Bins, Crab?

a43aeebb702644f4e5c09d5d59510437.jpg

I do my own bins.

Regulars of UK-GAF who are looking to leave the UK, is web development a good skill to have to emigrate? 'Programming' is on skill shortage lists but I don't know if web development specifically counts. I know it's a good job to go into if I want to move to Ireland but I don't know about elsewhere.

Of course, I will carry on voting and continue fighting for those who are here despite this. No excuse not to. Also, it feels like Scottish independence is dead in the water because Conservatives will make big gains in Scotland.

Specifically talking about Germany, you'd be pretty much guaranteed a job. The more German you can speak/understand and the more recent your qualifications, the better your chances of course.

Greddleok

What do you dislike in Germany?

The people are unfriendly and uncommunicative.
The lack of good coffee.
The lack of good food.
The work culture of "you have a shit ton of holiday days each year, but you have to argue and bargain to take them."

This is south Germany, near Munich. I spent a few weeks in Berlin and it was amazing. I'd definitely give living up north a chance, as there's also a lot that I like about living here. If I hated it so much I would have left already.

I'll never understand why the UK has the stereotype of worst food in Europe when Germany exist.

These results bode very well indeed for the Tories. Historically when there's been a local election shortly before a GE, the Tory vote share was up 5-6% percent on the local. I saw a graphic earlier comparing the '83 and '87 local / GEs, but I must have closed that tab as I can't find it now.

Audioboxer

09rULUO.png

I expect similar across a lot of Scotland. Terrible day to see Tory gains up here. Voters were probably always unionists, but I'd rather take Labour unionist votes than Tory.

Just goes to show people will flip-flop around parties based solely on who proposes themselves to be the stronger unionist. Considering the remain vote in Scotland it's hard to say it's all just leave voters flocking to the Tories because "strong/stable May".

Corbyn and Dugdale are going to have to stand down after the GE if it mirrors the LE.

Mr. Sam

I'll never understand why the UK has the stereotype of worst food in Europe when Germany exist.

The UK and Germany have the same problem of their own food being shit but the same solution of importing shitloads of delicious food from other places. The best Thai food I've ever had was in Berlin.

kmag

09rULUO.png

I expect similar across a lot of Scotland. Terrible day to see Tory gains up here. Voters were probably always unionists, but I'd rather take Labour unionist votes than Tory.

Just goes to show people will flip-flop around parties based solely on who proposes themselves to be the stronger unionist. Considering the remain vote in Scotland it's hard to say it's all just leave voters flocking to the Tories because "strong/stable May".

Corbyn and Dugdale are going to have to stand down after the GE if it mirrors the LE.

The Tory campaign of getting Labour and Lib Dem voters to put them as a preference seems to be working.

Anecdotally from Glasgow a lot of the ballots are supposedly Labour 1, Tory 2.

PJV3

09rULUO.png

What does Dugdale quitting achieve if ex labour voters stick with the SNP?

Audioboxer

What does Dugdale quitting achieve if ex labour voters stick with the SNP?

I think a chunk of them are with the Tories tbh. Labour need to win back Unionists up here, not so much SNP voters. Labour will never support Scottish Independence. It's SNP/Greens all the way for that.

My local council

5iniWhq.png

I've known it's been Tory popular since I moved here last year, but here we go again, Labour losses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom