• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazzuh

Supplementary voting system seems to have been a bit of a disaster. In 2nd round of west of england mayoralty, more 2nd preferences for non-Labour/Tory candidates than for them, despite it being almost certain they would be the final two candidates.

Definitely makes me a little pessimistic about electoral reform. Oh well, we aren't getting any with the Tories in charge anyway ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Meadows

Banned
The Meadows™ hot take for what this means for each party in the General election.

Conservatives:

Huge win. They pretty directly took all of the UKIP votes that were out there, which will give them a massive majority if and when it is replicated in June. A great night for them.

Liberal Democrats:

A quietly decent day. No they didn't make the breakthroughs people expected, and they have lost seats, but they will be happy that they have increased vote share. Make no mistake, this is a party in recovery, but the green shoots are appearing.

Labour:

Awful. No way about it. Really, really bad. A few bright spots in Liverpool and Manchester, but if this kind of performance is replicated in June then they will lose badly.

SNP:

Not too bad. They may be slightly worried at the rise of the Tories, but they have largely held onto their momentum from recent years. They will likely lose seats in June but probably only 2-3.

Plaid:

Pretty good. They tend to do well at local level normally anyway, so let's see how they do in June.

UKIP:

Fatally bad. They will go the way of BNP, although unfortunately they have won the war so to speak.

jelly

Wow, 26 out of 32 with no control?

Independence is a knife edge issue :/we're not getting it are we? :(

People want to see how Brexit plays out but even then the UK still matters more to some people. I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon. Even with a no deal, the transitional period, the impact, what the UK government does. It's going to last ages, be messy and I doubt Scotland will get their chance to vote when that is going on. See you in 2030.

Mr. Sam

Supplementary voting system seems to have been a bit of a disaster. In 2nd round of west of england mayoralty, more 2nd preferences for non-Labour/Tory candidates than for them, despite it being almost certain they would be the final two candidates.

Definitely makes me a little pessimistic about electoral reform. Oh well, we aren't getting any with the Tories in charge anyway ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It helps if you, you know, explain the voting system to people.

I don't think things will be that bad after Brexit. Folks relying on that will disappointed.

It's already pretty bad, been noticing it for last few months. Our food budget is getting stretched to the limit and it will get worse, it will not take much more inflation to make things way worse. Voters are very fickle nowadays and it will take just small changes and financial pressures to change attitudes.

Dougald

It's already pretty bad, been noticing it for last few months. Our food budget is getting stretched to the limit and it will get worse, it will not take much more inflation to make things way worse. Voters are very fickle nowadays and it will take just small changes and financial pressures to change attitudes.

I track all my outgoings and our monthly food spend is up 10-20% on this time last year. Co-incidentally around the amount the pound has dropped

Audioboxer

Wow, 26 out of 32 with no control?

Independence is a knife edge issue :/we're not getting it are we? :(

Only Dundee was SNP majority before. Labour have lost two majorities.

Scottish Independence would always be won by a knife edge. The fact is it's been voted through in Scottish parliament and should be given the vote again. The Conservatives and their outright block rhetoric can feck off.

SNP is still the largest party in these council elections by a decent amount. It's Labour who have been completely trashed.

Meadows

Banned
Interesting that the Conservative candidates for both Manchester and Birmingham are both gay. Shows a changing direction in the party.

Hazzuh

This is an absolutely shit show for Labour. Losing Tees Valley and West Midlands is humiliating. Labour have 21/28 MPs in West Mids metro area, most of them are totally fucked.

Audioboxer

England

URc9kOY.png

Scotland

NEvXTDb.png

As I said to AHA-Lambda "no overall control" is how it has gone in Scotland before.

Wales

o6k1E1e.png

Labour -1xx in all.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Most Lib Dem second preferences going to the Conservatives in West Midlands.

This is an absolutely shit show for Labour. Losing Tees Valley and West Midlands is humiliating. Labour have 21/28 MPs in West Mids metro area, most of them are totally fucked.

Yeah Labour in England will be obliterated, hard to believe the party self destructed and appointed Jeremy Corbyn knowing fine well he will lead them to electoral disaster. It really makes me wonder if Labour will ever win an election again, I very much doubt it and wouldn't be shocked if the party broke up. I grew up in a very poor part of Glasgow, joined Labour as soon I was old enough and helped out in the local campaigns. I voted for them every election until last year and I could never vote for them again. Looking at them now, they just seem like a protest movement who have abandoned the poor and vulnerable and completely lost the plot. Tories will rule in the UK for the rest of my life and I think eventually Scotland will break free, it won't happen for a while though.

gun_haver

Only Dundee was SNP majority before. Labour have lost two majorities.

Scottish Independence would always be won by a knife edge. The fact is it's been voted through in Scottish parliament and should be given the vote again. The Conservatives and their outright block rhetoric can feck off.

SNP is still the largest party in these council elections by a decent amount. It's Labour who have been completely trashed.

Regardless, as a pro-Independence voter you would want to see SNP seats go up here, even slightly, rather than go down, even slightly. The fact the SNP have lost ground rather than, say, gaining control of several councils, while the Tories have come from very low numbers to 2nd place doesn't bode too well.

What has probably happened is that a lot of pro-Union voters have flocked over to the Conversatives due to the states of the respective UK parties. This means these people are mostly concerned about avoiding/rejecting Scottish independence, rather than having complex reasons for voting Tory this time. I can't imagine why else there would be such a shift away from Labour and towards the Tories in the current context.

Probably not much has changed in terms of overall support for independence - SNP remain the biggest party, by a little less than before, while the pro-Union vote has coalesced in the Tory camp rather than Labour this time.

I'm disheartened by it, because I would have liked to see Scottish voters reacting to what is going on in UK politics more emphatically and moving away from the right. These past 7 years it's been nothing but loss after loss for me when it comes to politics so I'm anticipating more of the same.

The Meadows™ hot take for what this means for each party in the General election.

Conservatives:

Huge win. They pretty directly took all of the UKIP votes that were out there, which will give them a massive majority if and when it is replicated in June. A great night for them.

Liberal Democrats:

A quietly decent day. No they didn't make the breakthroughs people expected, and they have lost seats, but they will be happy that they have increased vote share. Make no mistake, this is a party in recovery, but the green shoots are appearing.

Labour:

Awful. No way about it. Really, really bad. A few bright spots in Liverpool and Manchester, but if this kind of performance is replicated in June then they will lose badly.

SNP:

Not too bad. They may be slightly worried at the rise of the Tories, but they have largely held onto their momentum from recent years. They will likely lose seats in June but probably only 2-3.

Plaid:

Pretty good. They tend to do well at local level normally anyway, so let's see how they do in June.

UKIP:

Fatally bad. They will go the way of BNP, although unfortunately they have won the war so to speak.

you could pin a red rosette on just about anything and it would win in those Cities.

Audioboxer

Regardless, as a pro-Independence voter you would want to see SNP seats go up here, even slightly, rather than go down, even slightly. The fact the SNP have lost ground rather than, say, gaining control of several councils, while the Tories have come from very low numbers to 2nd place doesn't bode too well.

What has probably happened is that a lot of pro-Union voters have flocked over to the Conversatives due to the states of the respective UK parties. This means these people are mostly concerned about avoiding/rejecting Scottish independence, rather than having complex reasons for voting Tory this time. I can't imagine why else there would be such a shift away from Labour and towards the Tories in the current context.

Probably not much has changed in terms of overall support for independence - SNP remain the biggest party, by a little less than before, while the pro-Union vote has coalesced in the Tory camp rather than Labour this time.

I'm disheartened by it, because I would have liked to see Scottish voters reacting to what is going on in UK politics more emphatically and moving away from the right. These past 7 years it's been nothing but loss after loss for me when it comes to politics so I'm anticipating more of the same.

The other way to look at it is if the floor had completely collapsed for independence/SNP they've had been bleeding seats like Labour has. Once you start losing 50/100+ seats then okay, panic.

At a time when Brexit is going on and May keeps harping on about Scotland needing to unify and be "stable", it's still encouraging to see a lot of SNP support.

wB6DuK4.png

All councils counted, only lost 7 seats.

Uzzy

One thing that's surprising is just how well the Tories have kept onto the more moderate, centrist, liberal Tory voters, even while adopting policies that have UKIP voters flooding back to them.

Audioboxer

One thing that's surprising is just how well the Tories have kept onto the more moderate, centrist, liberal Tory voters, even while adopting policies that have UKIP voters flooding back to them.

I think they're a dying breed anyway. Others are Conservative through and through and will vote blue no matter what. I've said it a few times on GAF but support for political parties is like support for a football team. You do not change. Tories have just proven they can peddle UKIP policy/statements and have zero blowback. Yay? ..... /s

Spaghetti

Tory Andy Street wins in West Midlands mayoralty.
Ugh. The hot air candidate.

I had a feeling he'd get it. Labour fielded an absolute berk with an easily findable record of being a twat; despite probably having the best policy platform in the campaign material.

That's definitely a big story, yup. The parlance would be that they've built a big coalition of voters. Those moderate Tories can be flipped LD, but because the party nationally is still quite weak (it's patches of strength and areas of desolation) they seem like the only party on the ballot paper!

Well, RIP Labour, you had a good run :-\

Where else would they go? Lib Dems?

PJV3

Ugh. The hot air candidate.

I had a feeling he'd get it. Labour fielded an absolute berk with an easily findable record of being a twat; despite probably having the best policy platform in the campaign material.

Is this the Tory that threw one and a half million quid at winning it before the campaign started?

gun_haver

lol BBC is getting contested that these are the Scottish results

SNP was apparently 425 in 2012, so BBC's -7 seats seems wrong?

So, +6 gain? INDEPENDENCE ON!11111

Yeah I don't get the exact numbers - BBC has had SNP down 10-20 seats all day, while the Guardian currently has them up...31?

I was just gonna wait until the end of the day and see what it is.

Audioboxer

Yeah I don't get the exact numbers - BBC has had SNP down 10-20 seats all day, while the Guardian currently has them up...31?

I was just gonna wait until the end of the day and see what it is.

Up 31 isn't true at all, dunno what The Guardian is playing at there.

Probably by-elections being taken into account.

It must be this

2012 seats are an estimate of what the results would have been then if the new boundaries had been in place.

Empty

Where else would they go? Lib Dems?

well the problem is farron's strategy has been focused on taking votes from labour. exploiting lingering bitterness over the referendum by offering an opportunity for another referendum, constantly slamming corbyn as weak opposition, praising first term blair.

turns out from today there aren't really that many votes in hardcore remainers, though. overturning the referendum is a fringe opinion. if the referendum has created a new fault line with may on one side and the lib dems on the other like so many have claimed then that hasn't materialised at all.

they would do better defending the record of the coalition government and arguing more for a pro-business soft brexit. get buisness leaders on side etc. to try and pick off tory voters - there are a lot of them and they are in the seats that they are best placed to win!

In Durham, none of the Labour candidates who won were Corbyn backers. That's pretty significant imo. The ones that lost? Nearly all of them momentum activists.

Spaghetti

Is this the Tory that threw one and a half million quid at winning it before the campaign started?
Possibly? It seems he's been positioning himself for it for quite a while, but so has his Labour counterpart.

Either way, the guy had very little to actually say in his campaign material and spoke entirely in soundbites in the additional videos of him I checked out.

Voter turnout was fucking abysmal either way. Out of the 8 localities polled, 7 were below 30%, and 3 were below 25%.

Jackpot

Banned
I expect Lib Dems to end up with the same number of seats +/-2 in the GE. Any perceived upswing in support has never translated into votes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom