• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK military steps up contingency planning for Iran attack amid fresh nuclear fears

Status
Not open for further replies.

mysterj

Neo Member
ThisWreckage said:
Really? Because I thought that large war efforts created jobs and I also recall reading that post WWII is when the U.S. really took off as far as the economy goes.

US built up industries during WW2 which created a lot of jobs, the returning troops increased demand and labor participation in the economy and created the post war economic boom all across the globe.

In modern day time, the military industrial complex is already in place and relatively small scaled wars in Middle East don't necessitate more weapon manufacturing capability. Also modern day weapon production don't create as many jobs as they used to.

Also the monetary and fiscal policies introduced to fund WW2 has already been used today. Governments has never been more indebted and interest rate has never been lower. People and government are just too indebted at the moment to purchase stuff atm.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Well I'll probably be finished Uncharted 3 before we all die in the Nuclear Winter soooo...... lets do dis.

Edit: If you can, wait till Lego Harry Potter Years 5-7.

Nobody is invading Iran.

They are an annoyance but not worth the massive amounts of money and blood that would be spilled.

A war with Iran would bring economy to its knees . . . it is bad enough as is. A big assault on Iran would mean Iran would shoot thousands of missiles across the Gulf and take out all the oil infrastructure of Saudi Arabia.

Boom. $300/barrel oil instantly. Maybe higher.

Not gonna happen. No one has the stomach for it. Not us, not the UK, not Iran.

FreeMufasa said:
How does Iran compare to Iraq and Afghanistan in terms of strength?
Iran is stronger than Iraq and Afghanistan combined (if you subtract out all the US support of Iraq and Afghanistan).

Something Wicked said:
With the US & UK airforces, it would take less than a day of airstrikes to completely wipe out the Iranian airforce and navy. However, Iran does have much more powerful and longer range missiles than Saddam's forces. With their current tech, such missiles could hit anywhere in the Middle East, including Israel, and much of Europe as well. Fortunately, the US has been developing advanced missile interception systems, including anti-missile lasers.

Perhaps one of the most critical things would be to get the regular Iranian Army to defect and fight against the Revolutionary Guard. The Iranian campaign could played out much more like Libya than Iraq, but on a significantly larger scale.
You are dangerously naive. Iran certainly doesn't have the most advanced military. But they have a lot of people and a lot of weapons. And the entire country would unite against any invasion. Iran would be worse than Iraq.

RiZ III

Something Wicked said:
I didn't realize the CIA is currently trying to initiate conflict within nearly every country in the Middle East...

LOL!! They haven't been trying, they've been doing it for decades! Supporting the oppressive Shah of Iran, arming Saddam, arming the Taliban, bombing Iraq for nearly 20 years, bombing Afghanistan for nearly 10 years, bombing Pakistan, bombing Syria, arming Israel, torture prisons across the globe, the list goes on. Christ dude where the hell have you been??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom