• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF |OT3| - Strong and Stable Government? No. Coalition Of Chaos!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best way to watch BBCQT is to not watch.

It's ridiculous pantomine and you learn nothing and just hate. They know you hatewatch. It's how they book it.

jelly

Lucas is quite good.

I can't watch with Mogg on. Such a twat. Will wait for embarrassing highlights if he gets taken to the cleaners.

Audioboxer

Question Time tonight stars everyone's favourite Tory MP.

This one's going to be painful, I can just sense it. Can't even drink during it as I have work tomorrow, damn it all.

Jacob Rees-Mogg announces birth of his sixth child, Sixtus

The Conservative MP Jacob Rees-Mogg has provoked delight and mirth by naming his newborn son and sixth child Sixtus.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ogg-announces-birth-of-his-sixth-child-sixtus

Has the guy never heard of contraception? That name... I would say incoming bullying in school, but off to private school you go!

No shade on the kid, or any of his kids. It's not their fault their dad is a bit of a bastard politically. It would, however, be refreshing if one of them grew up to be a Labour supporter. I mean, there's a 1 in 6 chance, right? Cmon Sixtus!

Theonik

Mogg is a fairly hardcore Catholic and for actually well off families, having lots of children is not really a problem. You don't get impacted nearly as much as say a working or single parent.

Audioboxer

Mogg is a fairly hardcore Catholic and for actually well off families, having lots of children is not really a problem. You don't get impacted nearly as much as say a working or single parent.

Ahhh, that'll be it. I knew he was Christian, but not Catholic.

"Traditional family values" to some Catholics often means have 80 children either because contraception is "sketchy" in the eyes of God, or to produce many "little Catholic followers" to enter the faith. Or a combination of those two things.

I mean, to an extent, have as large a family as you want, but two things. Give your lady/wife a rest and not just constantly have her going through pregnancy after pregnancy. It's not easy going, that's for sure, especially when you're hitting 6+ children. Lastly (which isn't a problem for Mogg) make sure you can afford an acceptable standard of living for any children you want to bring into the world.

All of that said, I should have said congratulations to my favourite top hat wearing Tory :p If only some of his voting could have kept in mind all the single mums or low earning families out there!

sammex

Fellow poligaffers. 8 point Labour lead!

DEFJ7KkW0AEfn9Z.jpg

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
It's quite amazing that nobody talks over Rees-Mogg. It's like the accent tricks people into thinking he's saying something profound.

Theonik

It's quite amazing that nobody talks over Rees-Mogg. It's like the accent tricks people into thinking he's saying something profound.
How do you think he's gotten this far. I'm tempted to say I'd love him to take the leadership if not because I think his stereotypical Toryness might put him at a disadvantage but knowing voters It'd still make me quite weary.

Well yeah, otherwise they'd be large business owners.
You know I had that argument with a brexiteer Tory at some point. I think the whole thing was about deregulation so small businesses can refuse maternity pay or something daft like that.

Spaghetti

On the subject of business...

"UK workers earning £2.50 an hour prompts call for government action" - The Guardian.

Choice quotes:

Parcelforce, owned by Royal Mail, “tied each driver’s hands behind their back” by requiring them to sign a contract forbidding them from challenging their employment status.

The report said drivers were “coming to work with broken bones” to avoid fines of up to £400 a day for failing to work their shifts. One Parcelforce courier said he paid for a colleague to join him on deliveries “whilst I sat next to him with a bucket in case I was sick”.

Couriers for DPD said the requirement to cover the cost of a replacement driver when they are ill meant they could end up losing money.

One said a colleague earned £2,100 in four weeks, but ended up being charged £2,800 due to costs such as petrol and insurance, as well as “fines because he was too poorly to drive the van”.

Fucking hell. Imagine living like that.

Royal Mail (who trade under Parcel Force) made £742m last year, and DPD £125m.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Also worth noting that Labour leads in the Scottish subsamples. Huge margin of error given this is a subsample of a single poll, but something to keep an eye on.

Audioboxer

Also worth noting that Labour leads in the Scottish subsamples. Huge margin of error given this is a subsample of a single poll, but something to keep an eye on.

I can live with that. As long as Tory Scotland gets a dressing down.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I can live with that. As long as Tory Scotland gets a dressing down.

Lab 30, SNP 25, Con 19, if you're curious. MoE would be about 7%, except the weighting for subsamples can be sketchy so it's realistically a bit more.

The SNP would win more Westminster seats, though, because of how their vote is distributed.

Audioboxer

Lab 30, SNP 25, Con 19, if you're curious. MoE would be about 7%, except the weighting for subsamples can be sketchy so it's realistically a bit more.

The SNP would win more Westminster seats, though, because of how their vote is distributed.

Damn, for a second I thought that was seats. The Tories get 19 seats here and I'll go live on an Island somewhere myself.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, for a second I thought that was seats. The Tories get 19 seats here and I'll go live on an Island somewhere myself.

On those figures they'd drop two, so looks like you're alright.

what would the seat breakdown for this look like?

also would it be fair to characterize results like this as tactical Unionist voters coming back to Labour?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
what would the seat breakdown for this look like?

SNP 25
Lab 19
Con 11
LD 4

I misread the original tab though, it should have read:

LAB 36% (+9)
SNP 31% (-6)
CON: 25% (-4)
LD: 5% (+1)
Other: 3%

M.o.E is >7% though, so take with an enormous pinch of salt, usual health warning, etc.

also would it be fair to characterize results like this as tactical Unionist voters coming back to Labour?

That's half of it, the other half is leftists who thought independence was the best way to achieve that seem to have decided maybe it isn't and are coming back. Labour's drawing from Union first and leftism first voters in equal measures.

Mr. Sam

Labour's lead growing is just going to lengthen this parliament as the Tories dig their heels in. If I were a betting man, I'd say we're in for the full five, folks.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Labour's lead growing is just going to lengthen this parliament as the Tories dig their heels in. If I were a betting man, I'd say we're in for the full five, folks.

At some point they just have to cut their losses, though. Like, on the poll above, the list of ousted Conservatives would include:

Iain Duncan Smith
Amber Rudd
Nicky Morgan
Stephen Crabb
Justine Greening
Zac Goldsmith
David Davies
and Boris Johnson

That's half the talent obliterated!

Theonik

At some point they just have to cut their losses, though. Like, on the poll above, the list of ousted Conservatives would include:

Iain Duncan Smith
Amber Rudd
Nicky Morgan
Stephen Crabb
Justine Greening
Zac Goldsmith
David Davies
and Boris Johnson

This almost happened this election we were so close.

Uzzy

If they by some miracle get through Brexit without tearing the party apart, it's possible.

Iain Duncan Smith
Amber Rudd
Nicky Morgan
Stephen Crabb
Justine Greening
Zac Goldsmith
David Davies
and Boris Johnson

Just tell me the Moggster will be safe

Mr. Sam

This almost happened this election we were so close.

I do wonder - and the blame can't be laid at the door of conniving Blairites because even the most committed Corbynistas thought the same - how the result would have gone if Labour hadn't fought a defensive campaign. For example, the constituencies I canvassed in were expected to stay Labour by the skin of their teeth, if at all, but they're all now basically safe seats. What if I'd spent my time in Hastings instead?

His worst part was when he talked about allowing people in Scotland to go to uni without paying for tuition to become “the elites”. The fucking gall of these people.

It’s a shame his efforts to latch on to a Boris-like persona as a “legend” seem to be getting some traction. I hope that if he does ever get closer to the leadership people see through it.

Theonik

Just tell me the Moggster will be safe
The Mogg is safe his army of nannies and employees will vote him in.

I do wonder - and the blame can't be laid at the door of conniving Blairites because even the most committed Corbynistas thought the same - how the result would have gone if Labour hadn't fought a defensive campaign. For example, the constituencies I canvassed in were expected to stay Labour by the skin of their teeth, if at all, but they're all now basically safe seats. What if I'd spent my time in Hastings instead?
Hey! I'm not committed Corbynista but this result was what I expected 3 weeks before the election at least. Honestly, a more aggressive campaign and more strategic planning could have given Labour at least a dozen more seats with minimal vote changes. But that's in the past now.

Burai

shitonmychest57
The main thing I learn from any episode of QT is that small business owners are fucking idiots.

"If I don't completely fuck over my staff, my supply chain, my landlord, the banks that lend to me, my customers and the wider society, however will I keep my loss-making vanity ego trip running?"

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!

Iain Duncan Smith
Amber Rudd
Nicky Morgan
Stephen Crabb
Justine Greening
Zac Goldsmith
David Davies
and Boris Johnson

I think I'd actually consider buying a flag pole and flying the British flag if the country voted out that list of people.

Just checked Jeremy hunts vote share, how the fuck is he so high?

How anyone can look at the NHS and think 'yeah, bang up job mate' I don't understand.

Mr. Sam

I've always hated the people of *furiously googles* South West Surrey.

Edit:

Basically, I'm thinking the Tories sit tight and hope circumstances collude to make the next election more like 1992 and less like 1997.

Theonik

Just checked Jeremy hunts vote share, how the fuck is he so high?

How anyone can look at the NHS and think 'yeah, bang up job mate' I don't understand.
Parties typically parachute frontbenchers on safe seats to avoid embarrassment of them being unseated.
Though prominent MPs also tend to pull more votes on their own.

ss1

Neo Member
Parties typically parachute frontbenchers on safe seats to avoid embarrassment of them being unseated. Though prominent MPs also tend to pull more votes on their own.

Also it’s Surrey. Surrey always vote Tory. Other parties have zero chance to win any Surrey parliamentary seat in a GE.

jelly

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40528977

UK manufacturing output fell unexpectedly in May, with the sector hit by a drop in car production, according to official figures.

Manufacturing output fell by 0.2% compared with April, according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS).

Car production fell by 4.4%, the ONS said, the biggest fall since February last year
Separate data from the ONS showed that the UK's trade deficit widened in May.

The UK's total trade deficit in goods and services widened by £1bn to £3.1bn between April and May 2017 following an increase in imports from non-EU countries and a fall in the export of services.
In the three months to the end of May, the deficit widened to £8.9bn from £6.9bn in the previous quarter.

The fall in the pound after the decision by voters to leave the European Union has driven up the cost of imports, which has helped to push up inflation.
'Losing momentum'

The latest construction figures from the ONS were also much worse than expected.
In the three months to May, construction output was down 1.2%, the sharpest such drop since October 2015.

Peter Dixon, an economist at Commerzbank, said: "It's all building up a pattern here that says the economy is clearly losing momentum.

Things are looking pretty good.

Uzzy

Both the Sun and Telegraph are reporting on threats from junior ministers to resign en masse before the conference season, to force May out.

Some members of the Government are growing increasingly frustrated at the actions of Boris Johnson and his Cabinet colleagues for "pushing the Prime Minister around like a rag doll" to serve their own "self-indulgent" ends.

Mid-ranking ministers claim their more senior colleagues are taking advantage of the weakened Prime Minister so they can pursue their own agendas, amid mounting frustration that the Government is "doing nothing" and "going nowhere".

Theonik

Maybe if May called another election we could have a strong and stable government in the national interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom