• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF thread of tell me about the rabbits again, Dave.

A tiny fringe minority. The consensus for its existence is overwhelming. Also UKIP would halt all research into global warming. They're nutjobs.

In the days leading up to the general election, the flyer for the local UKIP candidate came through the door. The very first bullet-point:

"First and foremost, climate change is a myth. It was invented as an excuse to raise taxes."

nib95

Banned
Ultimately, the problem with railway franchises is the lack of competition. It is competition that fuels the efficiency of the private sector - it's why mobile phone service in the UK is such an incredible success,

This is a very important point which I'd like to elaborate on. Firstly, I agree, competition is a fundamental issue, but not the be all end all either. There's a few points to your assertion.

Firstly, by blaming the rail issue on a lack of competition, you are indirectly further promoting a huge argument for the rail network being nationalised. By saying it is an issue with a lack of competition, you are essentially admitting that the current privatised rail network in the UK can get away with what it does (astronomical end user costs and poor service quality) because there is no major rail companies that it has to compete against.

This is PRECISELY why it should be nationalised. Because of the lack of competition (near monopoly), instead of having to compete with non existent competition, it instead would have to be held accountable to us, as indirect owners (were it nationalised). The company has to keep the whims and benefits of us, the tax payer, at the forefront, not that of private interests, shareholders and the like. The burden for lowering costs and improving services is always there, whether there is competition or not, by virtue of it being publicly funded and scrutinised.
There's no reason to suggest that eventually numerous other private owned rail networks couldn't or shouldn't be able to compete with the government run option, just as is the case in other countries around Europe, or for example, with the NHS vs the countless other (and far more expensive) private healthcare options.

Secondly, I think your shrugging off of the success of other nationalised or state owned rail networks around Europe, and the suggestion such systems would not work in the UK are disingenuous. There is no reason to suggest that networks over longer distances are easier to manage than those shorter, especially when in theory less materials, costs (fuel and manufacture) are required over shorter one's. Fact of the matter is, there is no reason that a nationalised rail service could not be successful, such as that of Germany's, France's or say, Sweden's.

In all three above countries, vastly cheaper train fares and better services are enjoyed than here in the UK. And whilst there are private rail companies operating in the said countries, the vast majority of network services are operated by a state owned/nationalised company. SNCF in France, Deutsche Bahn in Germany and SJ AB in Sweden.

People declaring over £1m in income in 2009/10 at a top rate of 40% - 16,000

People declaring over £1m in income in 2011/12 at a top rate of 50% - 6,000

40% of a bigger pie is better than 50% of a smaller one. Labour = fiscal vandals.

nib95

Banned

40% of a bigger pie is better than 50% of a smaller one. Labour = fiscal vandals.

Whilst I agree Labour should have thought this through better, it's hardly fair to lump all the blame their way. There is a bigger systematic issue at hand that this exemplifies, and that's that 10,000 greedy people have such obvious loopholes or tax evasion options available to them that they, or anyone can so easily worm out of the necessary taxes. It's no doubt that even with the 2009/10 figures, many clearly used similar loopholes to pay less than their fair share.

The course forward is to close such loopholes, not just maintain a higher rate of taxes. I mean, even on a corporate level, if we combine the sums of taxes evaded from all the big companies in the scandals of recent months (Vodafone, Starbucks, Facebook etc etc), how many billions are we talking that have been lost?

I still personally can't believe the audacity of the government in thinking it's fair millionaires pay only 5% more in taxes compared to someone earning just £35k a year, a paltry sum if you're living in parts of London.

HMRC estimated the loss in tax revenue from the drop to 45% (which ignores this flight, of course, as it happened before) to be £100m. It also predicted that the associated increase in indirect taxes (VAT etc on the extra purchases available to these people) would be £130m.

Whatever way you look at it, the 50p tax rate was a sham. It was clearly a political stunt to a) ham up the class warfare and b) when that failed to win Labour the election, cause the Tories a headache when it comes to finances vs politics (which was a wildly successful practice). Hearing the Ed's go on about it yesterday shows that they're either woefully incompetent or entirely comfortable with lying.

In the days leading up to the general election, the flyer for the local UKIP candidate came through the door. The very first bullet-point:

"First and foremost, climate change is a myth. It was invented as an excuse to raise taxes."

If UKIP had any sense they'd stand with a single issue manifesto, with just 3 policies

Hold referendum on pulling out of eu, if that's successful pass legislation to pull out, then immediately call a new general election

Throwing in all these clap trap policies has probably fucked up their cause no end

This is a very important point which I'd like to elaborate on. Firstly, I agree, competition is a fundamental issue, but not the be all end all either. There's a few points to your assertion.

Firstly, by blaming the rail issue on a lack of competition, you are indirectly further promoting a huge argument for the rail network being nationalised. By saying it is an issue with a lack of competition, you are essentially admitting that the current privatised rail network in the UK can get away with what it does (astronomical end user costs and poor service quality) because there is no major rail companies that it has to compete against.

This is PRECISELY why it should be nationalised. Because of the lack of competition (near monopoly), instead of having to compete with non existent competition, it instead would have to be held accountable to us, as indirect owners (were it nationalised). The company has to keep the whims and benefits of us, the tax payer, at the forefront, not that of private interests, shareholders and the like. The burden for lowering costs and improving services is always there, whether there is competition or not, by virtue of it being publicly funded and scrutinised.
There's no reason to suggest that eventually numerous other private owned rail networks couldn't or shouldn't be able to compete with the government run option, just as is the case in other countries around Europe, or for example, with the NHS vs the countless other (and far more expensive) private healthcare options.

Which is precisely why my very next sentence was "Trains don't offer that, so I'm sympathetic to the idea of nationalisation." I know that what I was saying was advocating nationalisation. I then went on to explain why I think there is, to quote a certain famous lefty, 'a third way'.

Secondly, I think your shrugging off of the success of other nationalised or state owned rail networks around Europe, and the suggestion such systems would not work in the UK are disingenuous.

I didn't 'shrug it off' - I said "This isn't to say we can't or shouldn't learn a lot from other systems that work much better than our own does, plainly. I think we should just be careful not to try and transplant systems from one country to another and expect it to work just as well."

There is no reason to suggest that networks over longer distances are easier to manage than those shorter, especially when in theory less materials, costs (fuel and manufacture) are required over shorter one's. Fact of the matter is, there is no reason that a nationalised rail service could not be successful, such as that of Germany's, France's or say, Sweden's.

Speaking of disingenuous, longer rail networks being easier to mange was not my position! I never said they were easier to manage! Indeed, I suspect they are more difficult. What I actually said was "the further the disntace, the greater the advantages of rail." Which is undeniably true. Getting to and from stations takes time, and you're on a rigid schedule, so the shorter the journey is, the less likely it is to be faster than, say, a car. Over longer distances, this becomes less and less the case.

In all three above countries, vastly cheaper train fares and better services are enjoyed than here in the UK. And whilst there are private rail companies operating in the said countries, the vast majority of network services are operated by a state owned/nationalised company. SNCF in France, Deutsche Bahn in Germany and SJ AB in Sweden.

And there's a great deal we can learn from them.

Crumbs, this was quite a straw-man post!

Whilst I agree Labour should have thought this through better, it's hardly fair to lump all the blame their way. There is a bigger systematic issue at hand that this exemplifies, and that's that 10,000 greedy people have such obvious loopholes or tax evasion options available to them that they, or anyone can so easily worm out of the necessary taxes. It's no doubt that even with the 2009/10 figures, many clearly used similar loopholes to pay less than their fair share.

The course forward is to close such loopholes, not just maintain a higher rate of taxes. I mean, even on a corporate level, if we combine the sums of taxes evaded from all the big companies in the scandals of recent months (Vodafone, Starbucks, Facebook etc etc), how many billions are we talking that have been lost?

I still personally can't believe the audacity of the government in thinking it's fair millionaires pay only 5% more in taxes compared to someone earning just £35k a year, a paltry sum if you're living in parts of London.

A lot of these loopholes exist to widen the net of indirect taxation. Closing them usually can have the unintended consequence of lowering actual overall taxation. The higher rate of tax comes in at £44k btw, not £35k.

What you don't get is that capital is very easy to shift these days so whatever the government do (Labour or Tory) to try and introduce higher taxes is not really going to work.

You say that "this government" are being audacious in thinking that it is fair for the rich to pay just 5% more in tax than people on middle incomes, but it was Labour who kept the top rate of tax at 40% for 13 years, even through the worst recession to hit this country in nearly 100 years. If it was fair then, it is fair now. Labour introduced the 50% rate as a trap for the incoming Tory government knowing that it would make closing the deficit more difficult and lowering the tax rate back to a reasonable level that rich people wouldn't mind paying (40%) would be politically toxic.

HMRC estimated the loss in tax revenue from the drop to 45% (which ignores this flight, of course, as it happened before) to be £100m. It also predicted that the associated increase in indirect taxes (VAT etc on the extra purchases available to these people) would be £130m.

Whatever way you look at it, the 50p tax rate was a sham. It was clearly a political stunt to a) ham up the class warfare and b) when that failed to win Labour the election, cause the Tories a headache when it comes to finances vs politics (which was a wildly successful practice). Hearing the Ed's go on about it yesterday shows that they're either woefully incompetent or entirely comfortable with lying.

Well, we used today's HMRC figures to estimate tax losses of people restating their income as capital gains or corporation tax and it works out to around £2.3bn per year. However, lowering the tax rate to 40% would no longer raise it by that much, the tax base has been damaged at least for a few years until Britain is seen as a wealth friendly country again.

On the latter point, I would go with dishonest, Labour knew what they were doing pencilling in a tax rise for the year after they left power after keeping the top rate at 40% for the whole time they were in government, even through the recession and in the aftermath. If the 50% rate was so important to the nation's finances after the recession then Labour should have brought it in during the 2008/9 Autumn statement and had an overnight change.

what does everyone make of the poll that shows people want to work more hours? are we starting to see the truth behind the employment figures and the number of people in underemployment or stuck in perpetual part time work?

INCREASING THE PRICE OF MY DAILY TIPPLE WITH THIS MINIMUM ALCOHOL UNIT PRICE BULLSHIT SUCKS!

WTF, a tory government which prided itself on being anti nanny state is trying to pull this kind of shit.

Binge drinking must account for a tiny percentage of alcohol sales, what is Cameron thinking?

Is he getting additional tax revenues from this move, if so RAGE X 100?

what does everyone make of the poll that shows people want to work more hours? are we starting to see the truth behind the employment figures and the number of people in underemployment or stuck in perpetual part time work?

It's better that way, imo - at least, for now. I think it's better to have 10 people in part time work than 5 people in full time and 5 on the dole.

It's better that way, imo - at least, for now. I think it's better to have 10 people in part time work than 5 people in full time and 5 on the dole.

a very good point, but wouldn't those who are part time or underemployed be claiming some kind of benefit to make up the shortfall in their pay?

a very good point, but wouldn't those who are part time or underemployed be claiming some kind of benefit to make up the shortfall in their pay?

If they're under 16 hours, yes. But for most part time jobs, having more than 2 shifts a week puts you comfortably over that. Still, it's possible.

Not sure about rental assistance.

If they're under 16 hours, yes. But for most part time jobs, having more than 2 shifts a week puts you comfortably over that. Still, it's possible.

Not sure about rental assistance.

I didn't know about the 16 hour rule. I always thought that the government picks up the slack if you work 20 or less hours. not sure why.

It's encouraging to see people are willing to work, but the market just isn't there to meet their demands yet. maybe 2013 will be the year is starts to turn around...so long as we keep some level of growth I suspect.

kitch9

Banned
Yes, clearly delusional, whilst much of the rest of the developed world manages it just fine. Think your pro private stance has left you a tad jaded? If your intent is to make less profit (less or no shareholders or private interests to have to cater to), it's entirely possible to lower costs and use some of the (albeit lessened) revenue to still improve services.

Maybe you should read what I actually typed and post comment on that instead?

For those who didn't think UKIP are nutters:

UKIP said:
UKIP would restore imperial measures for all weights and measures, restoring the crown symbol on pint glasses, (now illegal under EU rules) safeguarding the mile, allowing the sale of vegetables and fruit in pounds and ounces, restoring acres not hectares, and require all media, businesses, schools and colleges to use imperial alongside metric measurements.

did anyone know there was a bus strike in london today? more specifically, north london buses that happen to cover a lot of london. bloody strike came out of nowhere, I didn't notice it on any of the new channels yesterday.

So in a different direction. The latest direction of government is very worrying.

I find it very depressing that the small state party is about to legislate to remove press freedoms, increase internet surveillance to dangerous levels and tell people how much they can and can't drink through price controls.

Very worrying direction.

operon

So in a different direction. The latest direction of government is very worrying.

I find it very depressing that the small state party is about to legislate to remove press freedoms, increase internet surveillance to dangerous levels and tell people how much they can and can't drink through price controls.

Very worrying direction.

Yup, I thought one of the few things the tory party wasn't guilty of was being in favour of a nanny state

Very worrying direction.

Small state in relation to economic freedom. For a smaller state in relation to personal freedom you should be looking at another party.

Jackpot

Banned

I find it very depressing that the small state party is about to legislate to remove press freedoms

A lot of the media doesn't follow its own rules. It needs a watchdog that will at least enforce the existing rules. Have we already forgotten the huge wholesale corruption between the media, police and politicians?

He said he wanted the industry to sign up to a legally-binding arbitration process that would force newspapers to deal effectively with complaints.

The new body could have the power to "sanction" newspapers and fund investigations, while those titles which refused to join could face direct regulation by Ofcom.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20543936

A lot of the media doesn't follow its own rules. It needs a watchdog that will at least enforce the existing rules. Have we already forgotten the huge wholesale corruption between the media, police and politicians?

The original failure was from the police who are a bunch of corrupt fuckers and didn't prosecute the journalists and PIs who illegally listened to people's messages.

We should just enforce the existing laws and punish the bent coppers who are bribed to turn a blind eye.

Walshicus

So the EU pushing for us to remove Imperial completely, even though its all a large number of our population knows isn't equally as nutterish?

Self evidently not? Even were it true, teaching children Imperial and perpetuating it is a cruelty. Pushing the metric system is common sense.

kitch9

Banned
Self evidently not? Even were it true, teaching children Imperial and perpetuating it is a cruelty. Pushing the metric system is common sense.

We don't need to teach the children Imperial, same as we shouldn't have to teach our older Adults metric.....

Imperial will die out of its own accord, so I don't agree with UKIP potentially pushing it to kids, but if its part of their manifesto and they get elected whatever, we are in a democracy...

Biggzy

We don't need to teach the children Imperial, same as we shouldn't have to teach our older Adults metric.....

Imperial will die out of its own accord, so I don't agree with UKIP potentially pushing it to kids, but if its part of their manifesto and they get elected whatever, we are in a democracy...

I can appreciate that people grew up with Imperial measurement and hence they are more comfortable with it. But why would UKIP want to impose it on our kids when most of the world uses metric and it's more simpler, other than petty nationalism.

I can appreciate that people grew up with Imperial measurement and hence they are more comfortable with it. But why would UKIP want to impose it on our kids when most of the world uses metric and it's more simpler, other than petty nationalism.

They are called UK Independence Party, nationalism is not petty to them i suppose.

I know some people who would consider voting for them but some of UKIP's proposals put them off. Mainly Tories who think the Tories have gone soft... I'm not saying the people are racists who want violence but they are the type who want planes and boats filled with 'foreigners' going back 'home'

Daily Mail readers all of them.

Dambrosi

Banned
Surprise surprise, Cameron doesn't like it up 'em.

Lord Justice Leveson said the press had "wreaked havoc in the lives of innocent people" for many decades.

He said the proposals in his report will protect the rights of victims and people bringing complaints.

Prime Minister David Cameron said he had "serious concerns and misgivings" over the idea of statutory regulation.

Speaking in the Commons, Mr Cameron said he broadly welcomed Lord Justice Leveson's principles to change the current system.

But he said: "We should be wary of any legislation that has the potential to infringe free speech and the free press.

"The danger is that this would create a vehicle for politicians whether today or some time in the future to impose regulation and obligations on the press."

But there was disagreement in the Commons about how many of the judge's recommendations should be adopted, with Labour leader Ed Miliband urging the government to accept the report in its entirety.

And Deputy Leader Nick Clegg said changing the law was the only way to ensure "the new regulator isn't just independent for a few months or years, but is independent for good".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20543936
To be honest, I think Leveson let the press off too lightly (by making the independent body voluntary), and Cam is about to let them off scott free. I'm a bit Hacked Off, really.

Tbh, anyone that doesn't have ""serious concerns and misgivings" over the idea of statutory regulation." Needs their head looking at. Even at its most benign, it's an enormous temptation put before those that routinely show their inability to withstand temptation.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Tbh, anyone that doesn't have ""serious concerns and misgivings" over the idea of statutory regulation." Needs their head looking at. Even at its most benign, it's an enormous temptation put before those that routinely show their inability to withstand temptation.

So far as I can see, it is of no particular concern that regulation is statutory. All that means is that it is enacted and empowered by an Act or Parliament - it says nothing at all about the content of the statute, and in particular whether it grants (or denies) any rights or powers of interference with the press to Government/ministers/parliament/government agencies and so on.

There's nothing magically oppressive about things that are statutory: the Abortion Act 1967, the Roman Catholic Relief Act 1829, the Homicide Act 1957, the Sexual Offences Act 1957, were all good liberalising statutes.

There's no reason we should fear statutory regulation any more than any other sort of regulation.

There's every reason of course for the press to fear statutory regulation, as it appears they prefer the sort that isn't regulation at all being as they can just ignore it.

As George Eustice points out rather well here, the press have repeatedly been given "last chances" to get their house in order with regard to self-regulation - in 1953, 1962, 1977, 1990 and 2003 - and each time they have not done so. Why on earth should we believe them this time?

Of course there need to be protections built in - many of them: against political interference, for the protection of willing sources and so on. But there also need to be protections for ordinary members of the public who are traduced by the press with no prospect of comeback or compensation.

I'd go with a statute for sure. Mostly because it is (relatively) transparent - we can all read it, see what it says, work out what it means and (importantly) see who voted for it.

So far as I can see, it is of no particular concern that regulation is statutory. All that means is that it is enacted and empowered by an Act or Parliament - it says nothing at all about the content of the statute, and in particular whether it grants (or denies) any rights or powers of interference with the press to Government/ministers/parliament/government agencies and so on.

There's nothing magically oppressive about things that are statutory: the Abortion Act 1967, the Roman Catholic Relief Act 1829, the Homicide Act 1957, the Sexual Offences Act 1957, were all good liberalising statutes.

There's no reason we should fear statutory regulation any more than any other sort of regulation.

I agree, the fact it's 'statute' is irrelevant - the fact that, rather than attempting to apply laws that already exist more effectively, the possibility is that the government will have a body responsible for enforcing specific practices is what scares me. You're right, there is no reason we should fear it more than any other sort of regulation of the press, and I fear all kinds equally.

There's every reason of course for the press to fear statutory regulation, as it appears they prefer the sort that isn't regulation at all being as they can just ignore it.

As George Eustice points out rather well here, the press have repeatedly been given "last chances" to get their house in order with regard to self-regulation - in 1953, 1962, 1977, 1990 and 2003 - and each time they have not done so. Why on earth should we believe them this time?

That the 'establishment' (I don't like that term, it sounds way too tin-hattish, but I think it's appropriate here) have repeatedly had their noses bent out of shape by the press but have not quite had the gaul to try and regulate them before means very little to whether I'd support regulation of the press now. There's a great deal wrong with what the press does now - and it's almost all illegal already. All these attempts to 'fix' the problem ignore the fact that the police not only turned a blind eye to it all, but were actively complicit in the whole shebang. The people that are meant to uphold the law failed abysmally to do so - I do not feel that the solution to that is simply trying to regulate the body that broke the law.

Of course there need to be protections built in - many of them: against political interference, for the protection of willing sources and so on. But there also need to be protections for ordinary members of the public who are traduced by the press with no prospect of comeback or compensation.

I'd go with a statute for sure. Mostly because it is (relatively) transparent - we can all read it, see what it says, work out what it means and (importantly) see who voted for it.

You're putting a somewhat alarming degree of faith in an institution that routinely fucks up everything from IT systems to defence procurement. The path to hell is paved with good intentions, and you don't have to be a cheerleader of hacking into murder victims phones to believe that, of the two evils, having a press with even the smallest chance of not being allowed a voice when it's really needed is worse by some degree than the exploits presented at Leveson.

Very rarely are great, autocratic powers swept in with the passing of a single bit of legislation. It tends to happen, bit by bit, with the word of the law being altered and reinterpreted. Once on the books, a statutory regulation body would only ever go in one direction - it would never shrink back or die away. If the best hope we have of it never being abused is the honesty and good will of our politicians, I don't think that's a risk I want to take, but I don't believe for a second that our motley gang of morons in parliament are capable of competently regulating a media system to perfectly walk the line of protecting people but not stopping stories - which will often be about the very people writing the regulation - coming out. I refuse to believe they're capable of doing such a job.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Nice, decently-argued answer Cyclops. Pleasure to deal with you mate.

And too long a fucking answer from me. Late at night, that's why.

I'm only nitpicking through this to try and pin down exactly what we might agree/disagree on, not to try and catch you out or anything.

I agree, the fact it's 'statute' is irrelevant - the fact that, rather than attempting to apply laws that already exist more effectively, the possibility is that the government will have a body responsible for enforcing specific practices is what scares me. You're right, there is no reason we should fear it more than any other sort of regulation of the press, and I fear all kinds equally.

First bold: remember that it's not just criminal law, but also civil law that is is play here. And there's rarely any legal aid for civil cases. If someone gets all run over by the newspapers for whatever (let's assume it's a bad) reason then they have to identify there's a problem, seek advice, pay for it, chase the case, put themselves even more in the public eye for doing so, go through all the pretrial stuff, witness statements, court appearances, all his stuff running on for maybe years - they might have already lost their jobs/wives/property because of newspaper reporting and are more-or-less powerless to protect themselves. Sure, the rich can afford to sue for libel, but the libel law isn't that great here and now and even if it gets improved it's probably not going to get improved enough for the average Joe to take on the Sun.

Key question - If you were Chris Jeffries (or in the olden days, Timothy Evans) - what the fuck could you have done about it? Nothing, that's what. And your name is still all over Google. Even now.

Now part of the argument is that the police (which I rather hope is in the control of somebody sensible, but it often seems not) should not have released this to the press. But another part is that the press, being given it should not have drawn four-page-splash conclusions and conducted their own 'investigation'. There are plenty of good and acceptable arguments that the press should feed the police. There are not very many the other way round. And whatever regulation is in place needs to ensure the Bribery Act stuff is properly controlled in the press.

Second bold: It's not a matter of whether the "government will have" a body responsible etc etc. Well, except for what the Act actually says. Whatever body it is doesn't have to be responsible to the Government. It certainly shouldn't be responsible to a committee of newspaper editors IMHO, but it might as well be responsible to an executive agency (too expensive, too pressurisable), to a judicial appointment (maybe too cosy, or even costly), to an independent elected body, to anything APART from Parliamentary select committees. For example, you could rotate supervision around the Magistrates Courts of the country on a 6-monthly basis and still have something way more sensible than now even without more regulation.

Third bold: I don't. I've seen quite enough of newspapers shaking up the private lives of ordinary citizens without suitable justification or recompense (yeah right, your name and photo splatted all over page 1 in the local editions when accused of something, you lose your job, get remembered by everyone locally you apply for a job to) and your acquittal is mentioned briefly at the bottom of page 5 once on a Wednesday - that's sure going to work, thanks PCC).

That the 'establishment' (I don't like that term, it sounds way too tin-hattish, but I think it's appropriate here) have repeatedly had their noses bent out of shape by the press but have not quite had the gaul to try and regulate them before means very little to whether I'd support regulation of the press now. There's a great deal wrong with what the press does now - and it's almost all illegal already. All these attempts to 'fix' the problem ignore the fact that the police not only turned a blind eye to it all, but were actively complicit in the whole shebang. The people that are meant to uphold the law failed abysmally to do so - I do not feel that the solution to that is simply trying to regulate the body that broke the law.

First bold: "gall"

Second bold: It's almost all illegal, but it is not almost all legally addressible - again we are talking two things here: (1) criminal law, which should be done by the police but is probably not going to be if it were the police that were suborned (there's a political tactic here - do you criminalise the corrupt policeman or the corrupting pressman? The answer should be both, the answer in practice is neither because each has protection that the rest of us do not have). And that's wrong too. (2) Civil law, where the rich and influential and sponsored and insured have resources that the rest of us do not have. And that's wrong too.

One law for them, whoever they are. One for us, whoever we are (and we know whoever we are only when it happens).

You're putting a somewhat alarming degree of faith in an institution that routinely fucks up everything from IT systems to defence procurement. The path to hell is paved with good intentions, and you don't have to be a cheerleader of hacking into murder victims phones to believe that, of the two evils, having a press with even the smallest chance of not being allowed a voice when it's really needed is worse by some degree than the exploits presented at Leveson.

Well, to start with (as you know) it's the content, rather than the fact of any legislation that makes the difference.

But given that. Our governments have of course routinely mucked up on defence procurement (since probably the 1550s) and on IT procurement (probably since about IT was invented) - because governments are bad at procuring things the world over - they all think they can negotiate a good contract because it is big and long, none of them have the commercial experience to realise that is the worst fucking way to negotiate a contract. Probably Civil Service fault rather than government, but they do seem remarkably blind to shot-term cashflow (perhaps because their borrowing is a bit too easy).

Bolded: I think we may be in different camps here. If you really think the routinely wayward traducing of innocent citizens day by day is worth the extraordinary slim possibility of turning up an important parliamentary scandal that's already 30 years old and should have been and apparently has been noticed already by everyone in the press radio and televisions, and apparently has been suppressed in view of their relationships with the political parties. Then yeah, you my have a point.

I think the press needs freedom.

I think one of the things the press most needs is freedom from is its incestuous relationship with the political parties.

I think the best way of achieving that is through statute.

Very rarely are great, autocratic powers swept in with the passing of a single bit of legislation. It tends to happen, bit by bit, with the word of the law being altered and reinterpreted. Once on the books, a statutory regulation body would only ever go in one direction. If the best hope we have of it never being abused is the honesty and good will of our politicians, I don't think that's a risk I want to take, but I don't believe for a second that our motley gang of morons in parliament are capable of competently regulating a media system to perfectly walk the line of protecting people but not stopping stories - which will often be about the very people writing the regulation - coming out. I refuse to believe they're capable of doing such a job.

We're really talking about who's cynical about what here. But you'd trust Fleet Street?

Lear

So Labour won Rotherham. Seems UKIP and the BNP were 2nd and 3rd respectively, which is grim. Lib Dems got less than 1000 votes, i'm hearing.

kitch9

Banned

People earning £1m will have accountants who are certified who will ensure that they don't have to pay a penny more tax than they have to. Our tax system is complicated and there are numerous avenues you can take when it comes to arranging your affairs.

What they will be doing will be legal, and will stand up to HMRC inspection, of which they may have regularly. I employ an accountant and if he says for me to send my money a certain way to pay less tax then I will do, that is what accountants are for. Labour were stupid because they whacked to tax up to 50% without adjusting the other avenues people could go down, but given the complexity of our tax system they probably couldn't touch those without causing a real mess, so instead they just went for the headline grabbing political retard method just before they left office.... Lets not forget Labour thought 40% was fair game for 13 years, only before they just left office did they cynically raise it without much thought.

Dambrosi

Banned
Good news, Michael Gove full of win again!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-20547195

"Free schools will have to teach evolution as a "comprehensive, coherent and extensively evidenced theory" under new rules issued by the government."
"Full of win"? Ordinary common sense is "full of win" to you? I'd have thought he'd be derelict in his duties as Education Secretary if he didn't enforce the teaching of evolutionary theory in free schools through sanction. We ain't Bible-Belt Americans, nor should we ever be, no matter how much "certain people" may want us to follow their path.

Oh by the way, Labour won held THREE by-election seats yesterday, not just Rotherham. Yeah yeah, mid terms don't matter, lots of protest votes around for the nutter parties, etc. But maybe the bigger (if not unexpected) story is that the Lib-Dems lost their deposit TWICE. On the same night.

Labour has won three by-elections, holding Croydon North, Middlesbrough and Rotherham parliamentary seats.

It increased its share of the vote in all three seats, but its majority was down in Rotherham, where the previous MP had quit over expenses claims.

The UK Independence Party came second in Middlesbrough and Rotherham, and finished third in Croydon North.

In Rotherham, the Lib Dems fell from third place to eighth, behind the BNP, Respect and the English Democrats.

Labour candidate Sarah Champion won in Rotherham with 9,866 votes to UKIP candidate Jane Collins' 4,648. The BNP and the Respect Party pushed the Conservatives into fifth place, while the Lib Dems lost their deposit, trailing in eighth.

In Middlesbrough, Labour's Andy McDonald, a solicitor for a trade union law firm and former Middlesbrough councillor, won with 10,201 votes to UKIP candidate Richard Elvin's 1,990.

In Croydon North, Labour's Steve Reed - currently the leader of Lambeth Council - won 15,898 votes, beating the Conservatives' Andy Stranack by 11,761. Again polling under 5%, the Liberal Democrats lost their second deposit of the night.

Ms Champion, chief executive of a children's hospice, said: "Cameron's Tories have shown what they think of Rotherham, and today this result tells David Cameron what Rotherham thinks of the Tories."

Nice, decently-argued answer Cyclops. Pleasure to deal with you mate.

Thanks! Likewise! And thanks for the detailed response! I will give it the attention it deserves but I'm a bit busy til Sunday - for now, though, I'll touch on your last point; No, I don't particularly trust Fleet Street more than the government. They are there to sell papers, nothing more. Usually big, explosive stories do that, which is why they persue them, but bit stories are not their raison d'etre, selling copies is.

That said, like most things in the free market, that doesn't bother me. I don't care that Tesco is out to make money, because in doing so they also provide me with cheap food by competing with Asda. And therein lies the difference - governments wield power for two reasons: it is politically expedient, or they believe they're doing good. The newspapers rely on an audience buying it, the government does not. Fleet street may well genuinely, even if it's not their raison d'etre, believe they are doing good, but without an audience that agree, it doesn't matter. For the government, the wishes of the 'audience' are basically irrelevant. They have a vote, but both Labour and the LD's are supporting Leveson, so if the Tories go ahead with it, that won't be a choice the electorate have any more. And the government can continue doing it, safe in the knowledge they're 'doing good'. This is, of course, an argument against more or less all government intervention anywhere, but I think it's particularly relevant when we're talking about the flow of information. I use this quote a lot, but I do love it, by C.S Lewis:

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."

let's talk autumn statement. what are everyone's predictions for the statement? borrowing increasing is all but confirmed, will the government continue it's austerity drive? where will they find more money to save? what about the possible surprises and the talk of £5b invested in transport and infrastructure?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
"Turning back now would be a disaster". Oh, oh I see. Well carry on doing.. whatever the fuck you're not doing well then?

Top Bottom