• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF thread of tell me about the rabbits again, Dave.

PJV3

Sigh sigh sigh, you lot just keep on dismissing anyone that likes him as just doing it for fun and because they're too dumb to think anything else.

No I'm dismissing boris because I dislike him. he was a bone idle MP and I don't want the twat to be PM.

TCRS

Banned
Why do the lefties hate Gove? Is it his policies or just the person? His policies make a lot of sense imo and were necessary.

The entire "No" campaign has been hilariously shambolic. The fact that it's taken them so long to realise a campaign consisting entirely of condescending finger-wagging might actually lose them votes shows how dysfunctional some of the Scottish parties are.

Yeah the campaign has been so bad it's made me switch over to a yes! The yes campaign, from what I've seen from friends in Scotland, has been much more together.

PJV3

Indeedy, because you were talking about him. Cheezmo and Kelthink were talking about those idiots that like him.

His strengths are probably more suited to being ambassador to the US or something. He dislikes being questioned and has a dislike of the graft of politics, PM is a hard job and too serious a role to risk on Boris.

Thatcher as much as I hated her, worked her bollocks off.

TCRS

Banned
This is silly. Don't be lazy. On the previous page I linked an article demonstrating his insanity/idiocy.

I read it. I still don't get the dislike for Gove. His remarks may have been over the top, but that's just a politician being a politician. His policies seem sensible to me.

PJV3

I read it. I still don't get the dislike for Gove. His remarks may have been over the top, but that's just a politician being a politician. His policies seem sensible to me.

I'm of the opinion that his policies will end up being a chaotic expensive mess, that's long term and hard to prove, so I will have to wait and see.

Labour aren't any better though.

Jackpot

Banned
Hopefully Boris supporters will watch the upcoming documentary on him.

Why do the lefties hate Gove? Is it his policies or just the person? His policies make a lot of sense imo and were necessary.

Arbitrarily deciding to rewrite the whole exam system (for the nth time) to use O-levels like in the "good old days" without consulting anybody and promptly having it quashed once he announced it to the rest of the party sticks out in my mind.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Gove strikes me as the sort of person who is quietly furious that history lessons aren't hagiographic overviews of Cecil Rhodes et al.

Probably has a framed picture of Churchill in his house somewhere.

kmag

Yeah the campaign has been so bad it's made me switch over to a yes! The yes campaign, from what I've seen from friends in Scotland, has been much more together.

To be fair to the NO campaign, people know the reality of the union, there's little point waxing lyrical about the plus points of a tory government to which Scotland returns one MP.

The YES campaign simply paints a unbelievably rosy future which is purely hypothetical. The NO campaign is always going to be negative put against that.

kmag

Learning by rote is fucking stone age, and largely discredited. You learn lots of facts but are given no analytical tools to evaluate those facts. Gove's whole approach is well if it worked for me.

PJV3

The SNP need a full on tory government to win independence, 15 yrs without one and probably not at the next election either.

The SNP need a full on tory government to win independence, 15 yrs without one and probably not at the next election either.

From the point of view of Scotland, the current government is a full on Tory government. No one up here thinks the Lib Dems have made them more palatable, don't think they do in the rest of the UK either.

These vidoes are my favourite part of the Better Together campaign: http://www.bettertogether.net/pages/map Did they even watch them?

Check out this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nvd3B32-zdI

"I just want what's best for my ancestors." :lol

This is the worst one I've seen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=a_zh8RoRkME

"I LOVE SCOTLAND AND IT'S POEMS AND BURNS SUPPERS AND I'M SO PATRIOTIC BUT FUCK BRAVEHEART AND I LOVE SCOTLAND SO MUCH I'M ANTI INDEPENDENCE AND BRITAIN IS GREAT WHEN THERE'S AN ILLEGAL WAR ON"

PJV3

From the point of view of Scotland, the current government is a full on Tory government. No one up here thinks the Lib Dems have made them more palatable, don't think they do in the rest of the UK either.

well the Orange book libdems are almost tory, but we're not being run by the section 28 squad of the conservatives. thank fuck.

Nicktendo86

So I saw a thing on the news last night about William Hauge going with Angelina Jolie to raise awaireness on rape in warzones and something struck me: he has probably been one of the best, if not the best ministers in this Government.

PJV3

Being foreign secretary removes you from the budget problems and other stuff that can cause resentment. He's done a good job so far, although Syria might be a problem if we end up supplying the batshit insane with weaponry.

Being foreign secretary removes you from the budget problems and other stuff that can cause resentment. He's done a good job so far, although Syria might be a problem if we end up supplying the batshit insane with weaponry.

This. Foreign Secretary is a tough job no doubt, but there's a statesmanlike edge to it that puts it above the usual bickering, so it's easier to look impressive.

Ding-Ding

IN other 'Conservative politician self-destructing' news, Gove seems to have finally, completely lost his mind:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/educatio...ist-opponents-of-improvements-to-schools.html

The full transcript of his comments is on the Daily Mail site but I don't want to link to them. He is a strange and deranged man.

He's a twat, but Balls is a great troll at times: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mNR0AuGnoUg#!

Just watched this and how is this for ironic. Ed Balls, the shadow chancellor had to ask a colleague the answer to a GCSE maths question that he picked out himself.

Anyone want to let this man loose with the economy?

Just watched this and how is this for ironic. Ed Balls, the shadow chancellor had to ask a colleague the answer to a GCSE maths question that he picked out himself.

Heh, he's in good company. Both him the and the current Chancellor seem to be making incredibly basic errors.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21933720

In other news, this caught my eye...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21936248

Thousands of welfare claimants are being referred to food banks by Job Centre staff over concerns they have not got enough money to eat, the BBC has learned.

Ding-Ding

Heh, he's in good company. Both him the and the current Chancellor seem to be making incredibly basic errors.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21933720

In other news, this caught my eye...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21936248

While I am concerned about the loan guarantee scheme, I think Larry Summers is one of the last people I would listen to because of his failure in the regulation of derivatives.

As for the increase of food banks & jobcentre referrals, I think it was always going to happen. The simple fact is that all the QE that was injected into the economy in 08/09 was always going to bit us in the arse at some point.

I wouldn't be to surprised though if these figures are fudged though. My sister works in the DWP, which is represented by the PCS and they are working actively within the DWP right now to capture & misuse data (basically she has been asked to up referals on another subject to later be used by the PCS).

PJV3

Nick Clegg was useless at DPMQ's today, couldn't answer any questions about the new house building scheme.It's pretty basic stuff whether it will be available to people outside the UK or not. "its not the intention" is a laughable response.

The last thing we need is more outside money creating another property bubble, the government needs to get a grip before a good idea is ruined.

It should be about homes for UK residents, not a money making scheme for foreign investors.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.

Ed Balls has an economics degree and was a teaching fellow in the subject at Harvard...

Ed Balls has an economics degree and was a teaching fellow in the subject at Harvard...

One of the most radically Libertarian Tories currently in the parliamentary party also went to Oxford to study Economics, also got a Kennedy Scholarship and also therefore ended up at Harvard - Alan Duncan. I don't think it says a great deal about knowing the solution to our problems - after all, they can't both be right.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
One of the most radically Libertarian Tories currently in the parliamentary party also went to Oxford to study Economics, also got a Kennedy Scholarship and also therefore ended up at Harvard - Alan Duncan. I don't think it says a great deal about knowing the solution to our problems - after all, they can't both be right.

True, also completely irrelevant! I was merely commenting on the peculiar comment made by Ding-Ding, not on Balls' suitability for any position of government.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
There goes the only member of Labour I liked, shame. He seemed a decent bloke.

His spell as foreign secretary was morally questionable at best. He's the best heir to Blair simply because he was so good at cultivating his self-image. He's morally vacant, indecisive (or perhaps complacent) and is a boring, jargon-riddled speaker.

operon

His spell as foreign secretary was morally questionable at best. He's the best heir to Blair simply because he was so good at cultivating his self-image. He's morally vacant, indecisive (or perhaps complacent) and is a boring, jargon-riddled speaker.

and yet still better than red ed

operon

A completely worthless comment. 'Red Ed' - really?

I thought that was one of the paper's names for him. But still stands David would have been the better leader. I think this and the whole Boris would make a great pm rubbish idea just show us how little actual talent and leadership ability our big parties have.

At virtually any point in Labour's history he would be from the right wing of the party. I wish he was Red Ed, at least we would have more choice at the election.

When my Union was on strike in 2011, along with those of teachers and nurses, he didn't support us. Thanks comrade!

operon

Eggs are a pagan thing, all the best things are, we need to bring back orgies with naked hippie witches.

I always thought the egg thing, was birth=resurrection and rolling eggs was like the stone being rolled away form the tomb. Not that there is a problem with reusing old ideas

PJV3

I always thought the egg thing, was birth=resurrection and rolling eggs was like the stone being rolled away form the tomb. Not that there is a problem with reusing old ideas

Easter is named after the old pagan spring goddess Ostara/Eostre and her symbols were eggs and rabbits. it's all about fertility and sexy time.

I've gone way off topic with this so I will add a quick Fuck off Boris, to bring us back on track.

Top Bottom