• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF thread of tell me about the rabbits again, Dave.

http://www.hizb.org.uk/hizb/press-c...are-exporting-terror-to-the-muslim-lands.html

London UK, 28th July 2010 – David Cameron’s vilification of Pakistan during his current visit to India is an attempt to maintain pressure on Pakistan in the face of NATO’s defeat in Afghanistan, as well as unashamed soliciting for desperately needed business contracts.

Taji Mustafa, media representative of Hizb ut-Tahrir in Britain said, “British Prime Minister David Cameron has rightly been condemned for slandering Pakistan when he said Pakistan should not be allowed ‘to promote the export of terror’”.
“In doing so, he is stoking public opinion against Pakistan so that he can justify Britain’s presence in the region as part of the bloody NATO occupation; as well as to add pressure on Pakistan to do more to assist NATO in the region.”

“Furthermore, it is part of his shameless attempt to solicit for British business, closing the deal on contracts including a defence contract for Hawk jets worth £500 million.”

“With regards to the first issue, he conveniently overlooked the fact that ‘terror’ came to the Pakistan after the US-UK led invasion in 2001; he conveniently overlooks India’s shameless sponsoring of terror in Baluchistan, and elsewhere in Pakistan; he conveniently overlooks NATO’s terror, including a recent a rocket attack in Helmand that killed 52 civilians; he conveniently overlooks the fact that India’s biggest terror problem is from its own failure to bring harmony amongst its diverse population, not least from separatists and Maoists who have nothing to do with Islam; or that India’s past Prime Ministers were assassinated by Tamil and Sikh militants.”

“India is playing a dangerously reckless game in Afghanistan, having dozens of ‘consular’ offices in Afghanistan - on the border region with Pakistan – when there is hardly an exodus of people planning tourism in Pakistan. This is in addition to the numerous intelligence offices she has in Afghanistan.”

“By ignoring all this, as well as aiding India with nuclear technology when it has refused to sign the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT), the British government has not merely confirmed its principle that foreign policy should be framed through the lens of business interests (something that is always the case with capitalist states), it shows the humiliating lengths the British government will go to for money.”

“Britain is desperate to increase inward trade investment to produce jobs to offset its savage public sector cuts which will bite over the coming months. Cameron has flown around the world telling every state what it wants to hear – flattering India, Turkey and the United States – and even making a 180 degree U-turn from the comments he previously made about Gaza in front of pro-Israeli audiences when he was trying to win votes ahead of the UK elections in May 2010.”

“He is acutely aware that India is trying to build stronger links with the United States to offset its relationship with Pakistan, and will try to manoeuvre such that Britain does not lose out.”

“The quicker the UK and US are out of Afghanistan and Pakistan, the quicker Pakistan can be rid of terrorism and instability. The only path for Pakistan now is to remove theWestern backed ruling elites in Pakistan and establish an independent Islamic government that will restore security and stability to the country.”

Meadows

Banned
kobashi100 said:

Pakistani news outlets are shamelessly crap and it makes me cringe when I read them. Hizb ut-Tahrir are an organization with a militant belief in the establishment of a caliphate, and whom refused to condemn the London terrorist attacks. They can fuck off with their views as far as I'm concerned. Oh and anyone who believes that the Pakistan secret service doesn't fund and support networks such as Lashkar-e-Taiba is in denial.

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
Well then, I'm starting to like this Cameron guy.

curls said:

His condemnation of Israel gave me a chuckle. How many years of a Labour PM and nary a bad word said? Then along comes a Tory PM shooting from the hip. :lol

The world has gone mad. :lol

Meadows

Banned
curls said:

yeah me too, he actually, can't believe I'm saying this, isn't full of shit...I mean, he says what he thinks and doesn't dodge questions too much. It sometimes seems like he's ashamed of his own party sometimes, with the old guard of homophobes and duck ponders. He also does seem to be really quite liberal, something which can only be good for the UK (in my view)

Mr. Sam

Meadows said:
Pakistani news outlets are shamelessly crap and it makes me cringe when I read them. Hizb ut-Tahrir are an organization with a militant belief in the establishment of a caliphate, and whom refused to condemn the London terrorist attacks. They can fuck off with their views as far as I'm concerned. Oh and anyone who believes that the Pakistan secret service doesn't fund and support networks such as Lashkar-e-Taiba is in denial.

Your wrong about Hizb ut-Tahrir. They condemned 9/11 and 7/7 terrorist attacks. Also they are a non violent political party.

Boris Johnson on The One Show is a genius

"Ram your implement into the docking slot" (talking about the London bike scheme)
"Blind F1 racing would be wonderful in the Paraolympics" (out of frikken nowhere)

6ycg1z.jpg

LOL

louis89

I like Boris Johnson. If he can actually deliver serious steps towards global wi-fi in London (I'm certain it we won't have full coverage by the Olympics, despite what's been said), he's got my vote.

Chinner

Banned
Empty said:
did anyone watch this? any thoughts?
it was basically telling us what we knew, and all the politicians in the interviews seem fairly satisfied themselves, but it was a nice recap. clegg is revealing himself to be a liar though. we're obviously 5 years away from the next election, but i reckon the lib dems are going to crash and burn badly next election.

also, this is quite rad:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsyEB7g9T-I

louis89

Zenith said:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-in-campaign-against-vote-reform-2040853.html

Unions will front massive campaign against voting form because an accurate representation of votes means less votes for Labour. This legislation is so dead in the water.
If they get their way, that means that the Conservatives have gotten through boundary reforms, which benefit them and hurt Labour, and have escaped AV which would hurt both of them, but would help the Lib Dems who are surely their second choice. How is that in the unions' interests?

Empty

well it's harder to buy an MP with union money when they need 50% of their constituents support to get a seat. AV forces MP's to represent more than just a small vested interest, so it neutralizes them a bit there. also because if AV fails electoral reform is dead for a generation, and they don't want any kind of electoral reform because that stops their party getting 100% of the power on the votes of 22% of the population, like they did in 2005.

Chinner

Banned
i'm pretty sure i remember labour saying they support av, it's just its been coupled up with the boundary changes which is why they're against it.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
With every new page of this thread. I witness the death of a little piece of the UK I had once come to know.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
louis89 said:
If they get their way, that means that the Conservatives have gotten through boundary reforms, which benefit them and hurt Labour, and have escaped AV which would hurt both of them, but would help the Lib Dems who are surely their second choice. How is that in the unions' interests?
The boundary reform is coming regardless, there's nothing they can do about it. All they can do is try keep Labour from taking any more damage, and stopping AV will do exactly that.

From a union point of view there's really no difference between the Lib Dems and Tories. Bbarely any of the Lib Dem's social policies will ever be put into place, as it should be since they're by far the minority partner in either coalition scenario (see the scraps thrown to them this time such as the pupil plus). Instead all we get is a couple of the party's right wing put into ministerial positions where they may as well be Conservatives anyway.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Chinner said:
i'm pretty sure i remember labour saying they support av, it's just its been coupled up with the boundary changes which is why they're against it.

Labour's support of AV never rang true, it was just a deathbed conversion to appeal to the Lib Dems ahead of a likely hung parliament.

They are just using the boundary changes to campaign against something which would harm them as much as the Tories now they have nothing to gain from it.

Zenith

Banned
Hey guyz! Know the current news that the overstretched MoD is having to pay for Trident instead of the Treasury? I was hoping it was a prelude to them scaling back the project or delaying it. Turns out they want the MoD to pay for all of it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...328/Armed-forces-stunned-by-Trident-bill.html

Major capabilities such as Britain's two new aircraft carriers may now be axed or delayed, the number of Joint Strike Fighter aircraft is set to be halved and a raft of RAF, Army and Naval bases will be closed in addition to other cuts, to fund the Trident replacement programme.

Such are the financial pressures on the MoD that the four-submarine deterrent could be reduced to three or possibly two vessels to save money.

Under the new defence review, the entire Tornado fleet could be axed along with an armoured brigade, artillery regiments, the Nimrod MR2 anti-submarine fleet and RAF Kinloss.

The number of Joint Strike Fighters could be cut from from 150 to 75 and troops withdrawn from Germany.

One of Britain's two new aircraft carriers could also be cancelled.

So now the army is going to have to skimp on units that are of fundamental use to pay for a project that the gov itsef has already said is "purely a political weapon".

Just because they made it a Toryn ideology to be anti-CND the country will in fact be less able to defend itself.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
We hardly need a massive standing army to "defend ourselves" either.

All those bases, frigates and soldiers are just as useless as Trident. I have no problem with one being axed over the other.

Xavien

DECK'ARD said:
Labour's support of AV never rang true, it was just a deathbed conversion to appeal to the Lib Dems ahead of a likely hung parliament.

They are just using the boundary changes to campaign against something which would harm them as much as the Tories now they have nothing to gain from it.

I'm going to vote no on voting reform anyways, i thought LD being in power would be a good thing, but here we are.

I have no faith in any of them anymore. I also hate that the tories are adding boundary changes to the mix which ensures them an unfair advantage compared to anyone else. Plus the added difficulty in getting a vote of no confidence feels like the tories are trying to make sure they get in at the next election no matter what. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to push a bill through which means you only need 40% to pass a bill into law.

Democracy in this country has taken 10 steps back and not a single step forward.

Several changes i've seen from the condems are just sending this country back 20 years or further and i've yet to see anything positive come from this government, the DE bill is staying, personal liberties are still restricted, its like having a tory government with none of the benefits in regards to restoring personal liberties.

Not to mention the constant brow-beating by tory cabinet ministers on moral issues that they really have no right in commenting on or even legislating against (which they are doing to make sure the pope :lol doesn't get arrested and charged for certain crimes).

Backward government in every sense of the word.

Mr. Sam

Xavien said:
I'm going to vote no on voting reform anyways, i thought LD being in power would be a good thing, but here we are.

But it's not about party politics, it's about a fairer voting system.

Xavien said:

"I don't like a Liberal democrat government so i'm going to vote to stay with red blue politics"

I look forward to the referendum. I will threaten anyone i know who plans to vote no.

Zenith said:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-in-campaign-against-vote-reform-2040853.html

Unions will front massive campaign against voting form because an accurate representation of votes means less votes for Labour. This legislation is so dead in the water.

If I were a GMB member I'd cease my payments immediately because of that. Fucking disgusting, self serving, self preserving Labour lap-dogs. How about they let their members make up their own fucking minds?

I'm going to join the Yes campaign with a big dollop of angry gusto when this shit gets under way. I will probably lose friends over it if any of them vote no.

Empty

The unions, very wealthy right wing tories and the right wing press combined against AV.

taking into account the lack of enthusiasm among liberals thanks to it being av not pr, and the wide feeling of disenfranchisement with the current government and the lib dems role in it.

we're so fucked.

Xavien said:

I have no faith in any of them anymore. I also hate that the tories are adding boundary changes to the mix which ensures them an unfair advantage compared to anyone else. Plus the added difficulty in getting a vote of no confidence feels like the tories are trying to make sure they get in at the next election no matter what. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to push a bill through which means you only need 40% to pass a bill into law.
Even if the referendum results in a no majority, the boundary changes are still going through. Not even Labour publicly opposes the principle of equal sized constituencies, they are claiming (unsuccessfully) to be only concerned about the 3.5 million voters not on the electoral register despite doing nothing about it for ten years and dragging their feet on voters registration. Labour also opposes reducing the size of the house of commons which is the largest legislative chamber in the western world, despite A. UK a geographically small island off the coast of Europe, B. size reduction having widespread public support and lastly C. was in both the Lib Dems' AND Conservatives' manifestos.

Point is though, you voting no in the referendum will do nothing to stop the boundary changes if that is your sole motivation for voting that way. What it will do though, is kill the electoral reform issue dead for another generation, which is why I, as a supporter of FPTP, will be voting no too. People must be dense to think that this country is ever going to drastically change from FPTP to PR - it has taken over a century just to reform the House of Lords which still isn't complete. The conversion from AV to PR, while wouldn't happen overnight, would be a likelier and less drastically radical prospect with precedent.

Democracy in this country has taken 10 steps back and not a single step forward.
Er how?

Several changes i've seen from the condems are just sending this country back 20 years or further and i've yet to see anything positive come from this government, the DE bill is staying, personal liberties are still restricted, its like having a tory government with none of the benefits in regards to restoring personal liberties.
There has been some disappointments with regard to civil liberties, but it is a definitely improvement on the last lot. ID cards have been abolished, stop-and-search laws have been curtailed, the proposals for directly elected police commissioners will bring some real accountability to the police. My only real disappointment was that the attorney-general didn't intervene with the Ian Tomlinson case. But you can hardly blame the government for a decision taken by Keir Stammer (a Labour appointment). And presumably the coalition wants the police's support in case of civil unrest in the Autumn and next year when the cuts start to bite.

Not to mention the constant brow-beating by tory cabinet ministers on moral issues that they really have no right in commenting on or even legislating against (which they are doing to make sure the pope :lol doesn't get arrested and charged for certain crimes).
If you are referring to the universal jurisdiction warrant reform then you have been misinformed. Allow me to direct you to a guardian article which summarises what the reforms really mean and the difference between the coalition's proposal and Straw's.

Zenith

Banned
Empty said:
The unions, very wealthy right wing tories and the right wing press combined against AV.

taking into account the lack of enthusiasm among liberals thanks to it being av not pr, and the wide feeling of disenfranchisement with the current government and the lib dems role in it.

we're so fucked.

add to that that it's practically impossible to explain the different voting systems properly.

Garjon

Xavien said:
I'm with you on this; this reform will not make it that much fairer. In fact, I think it will cause a lower turnout as it will no doubt confuse a lot of voters from all sides. Plus there's the added problem of reducing the number of inner city constituencies. You'd have to be blind to not realise who benefits the most from this reform.

This reform is simply not worth it. Especially since far fewer people are going to vote Lib Dem in the future anyway.

Mr. Sam

Garjon said:
I'm with you on this; this reform will not make it that much fairer. In fact, I think it will cause a lower turnout as it will no doubt confuse a lot of voters from all sides. Plus there's the added problem of reducing the number of inner city constituencies. You'd have to be blind to not realise who benefits the most from this reform.

That's going through whether we like it or not. Furthermore, I refuse to vote no just to compensate for all the idiots who can't count.

Garjon

Mr. Sam said:
That's going through whether we like it or not. Furthermore, I refuse to vote no just to compensate for all the idiots who can't count.
Wouldn't it be difficult to force this through without a Tory majori... ah who cares, it'll be passed, no other party will have a significant challenge to the current government for years and the Unions will get increasing support from the inner city Labour supporters - basically everybody loses.

Walshicus

I think those who support and care about AV will outnumber those who don't - by which I mean the support is firmer than the opposition.

Xavien

blazinglord said:
Even if the referendum results in a no majority, the boundary changes are still going through. Not even Labour publicly opposes the principle of equal sized constituencies, they are claiming (unsuccessfully) to be only concerned about the 3.5 million voters not on the electoral register despite doing nothing about it for ten years and dragging their feet on voters registration. Labour also opposes reducing the size of the house of commons which is the largest legislative chamber in the western world, despite A. UK a geographically small island off the coast of Europe, B. size reduction having widespread public support and lastly C. was in both the Lib Dems' AND Conservatives' manifestos.

Point is though, you voting no in the referendum will do nothing to stop the boundary changes if that is your sole motivation for voting that way. What it will do though, is kill the electoral reform issue dead for another generation, which is why I, as a supporter of FPTP, will be voting no too. People must be dense to think that this country is ever going to drastically change from FPTP to PR - it has taken over a century just to reform the House of Lords which still isn't complete. The conversion from AV to PR, while wouldn't happen overnight, would be a likelier and less drastically radical prospect with precedent.

Er how?

There has been some disappointments with regard to civil liberties, but it is a definitely improvement on the last lot. ID cards have been abolished, stop-and-search laws have been curtailed, the proposals for directly elected police commissioners will bring some real accountability to the police. My only real disappointment was that the attorney-general didn't intervene with the Ian Tomlinson case. But you can hardly blame the government for a decision taken by Keir Stammer (a Labour appointment). And presumably the coalition wants the police's support in case of civil unrest in the Autumn and next year when the cuts start to bite.

If you are referring to the universal jurisdiction warrant reform then you have been misinformed. Allow me to direct you to a guardian article which summarises what the reforms really mean and the difference between the coalition's proposal and Straw's.

The coalition has allowed the Conservatives to do whatever they want and basically say the Lib Dems wanted it, the Lib Dems are not following through with their manifestos and saying the Tories made them do it.

There is now officially zero accountability, one side can just blame the other when they don't follow through with policy promised in the election. At-least with the last government if something went wrong or they didn't follow through with policy you knew exactly where the blame lay.

This coalition is a disaster in regards to policy accountability.

As to your link, i was not misinformed, there are changes, they can no-longer be arrested if the prosecution doesn't feel they have enough evidence to prosecute. So, i guess the secretive catholic church has no worries here then.

Finally, As others have said, the reducing of inner city constituencies is aimed squarely at reducing the chances of winning the next election of one party and only one, the Labour Party, it also gives more power to less people in the country (i live in the rural countryside and in a Tory constituency) .

It also could be said that Labours so called structural-deficit, seems to be well on its way to being resolved naturally by the economy and the increase of tax money as a result, the banks are returning to profitability, the economy is returning to growth, none-of-this was caused by the coalition, it was caused by the legacy of the Labour Party. Unfortunately the coalition (see: Tories hiding behind the coalitions veil) is going way overboard with cuts that will not be needed in the long run as growth ensures the removal of the deficit, if anything i can see the cuts making things worse in the long run for everybody concerned in the country (both financially and socially).

The very worst thing i fear from this coalition is the privatisation and deconstruction of the NHS, which is ironic because the Tories and LD said they were not going to touch the NHS during the election.

defel

Xavien said:
It also could be said that Labours so called structural-deficit, seems to be well on its way to being resolved naturally by the economy and the increase of tax money as a result, the banks are returning to profitability, the economy is returning to growth, none-of-this was caused by the coalition, it was caused by the legacy of the Labour Party.

Public sector debt has been rising since 2002/2003 despite strong growth and a long period of prosperity under Labour. Im not going to predict the future but to say that the deficit will be resolved "naturally" through economic growth ignores the trend of the past decade.

Xavien said:
It also could be said that Labours so called structural-deficit, seems to be well on its way to being resolved naturally by the economy and the increase of tax money as a result, the banks are returning to profitability, the economy is returning to growth, none-of-this was caused by the coalition, it was caused by the legacy of the Labour Party. Unfortunately the coalition (see: Tories hiding behind the coalitions veil) is going way overboard with cuts that will not be needed in the long run as growth ensures the removal of the deficit, if anything i can see the cuts making things worse in the long run for everybody concerned in the country (both financially and socially).

The very worst thing i fear from this coalition is the privatisation and deconstruction of the NHS, which is ironic because the Tories and LD said they were not going to touch the NHS during the election.
Britain was living beyond its means before the economic crisis, even Alistair Darling recognised that Britain could never go back to pre-2007 levels of public spending. I don't really think there is any sleight of hand going on here though, Cameron has made it clear that he wants to roll back the state. The most of the public appears to be behind this, in yesterday's guardian it mentioned that a left-wing thinktank Demos found that "Many who had voted for Labour in the past but switched support in the general election told the pollsters they believed that state spending had reached – or even breached – acceptable limits". That's just Labour supporters!

As for the NHS, it's original purpose was to 'provide a free, comprehensive healthcare service, with delivery at the point of need, regardless of the ability to pay' and I fully expect that to remain. Privatisation of parts of the NHS, and allowing hospitals to provide private services for patients to jump the queue in 2-4 weeks, to fund the rest in 4-8 weeks instead of forcing everyone to wait six months seems entirely reasonable to me and better for everyone. What I do find ironic though, is that these aren't original ideas but the natural progression/extension of Blair's market reforms.

Chinner said:
i like how we now have fears of a double dip recession.
Who, other than the Keynesian dinosaur David Blanchflower, are staking their reputation on a double dip recession? The consensus is very much now, after the better-than-expected 1.1% increase in the last quarter, that the likelihood of a double dip has passed.

Top Bottom