• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF thread of tell me about the rabbits again, Dave.

offshore

All those times that David had the chance to stand up and challenge Gordon Brown and he never took it. He must be ansolutely kicking himself.

But then maybe that's why he shouldn't lead Labour; he had no courage to do so. Ed quite clearly does. I just don't like Ed though :lol

Just something about him.

Walshicus

Hah, a Tory-boy would say that.
And of course a productive member of society would call you out on it...

I think this is the best result. The country needs to step toward the left again after years of Blair and the fucking up we're seeing with ConDem - there's a huge swath of Liberal voters disenfranchised by the party's direction now, and a leftist in power will benefit us all.

panda21

i was hoping the more attractive one would win purely so that by simple psychology of idiots (aka the general population) labour are more likely to win next time

Oh Labour..... you are going to look back on this as your 'Iain Duncan-Smith' moment.

So, whose going to step forward in a few years to be a 'safe' pair of hands at election time?

Empty

don't care about how electable this makes labour, honestly i don't think it matters; david or ed the next election will be a referendum on the coalitions economic policies, either leader serves the purpose of slipping in there and arguing they would have protected more services blahdeblahblah. i'm just happy that the opposition isn't being led by a unrepentant supporter of the iraq war and key player in our complicity with torture, it gives them at least some semblance of a moral compass.

Walshicus

sionyboy said:
Oh Labour..... you are going to look back on this as your 'Iain Duncan-Smith' moment.

So, whose going to step forward in a few years to be a 'safe' pair of hands at election time?
Amused you think this is a bad result for Labour.

LabourElection.png

offshore

Sir Fragula said:
Hah, a Tory-boy would say that.
Was that at me? I'm not Tory, nor am I Labour or Lib-Dem. I'm a floating voter, although I'd have been more happy with David. All those chances he spurned not standing. Portillo said it best: "Three things are certain in life; Tax, Death, and that David Milliband won't stand up..."

David only has himself to blame.

Zenith

Banned
Sir Fragula said:

How would you view it? Regardless of who you wanted to win it's a 0.6% difference with the majority of MPs and MEPs supporting the person who didn't get in. Not saying their votes should matter more, but now it'll be harder for the leader to work with them. Which he'll do more than with the unions.

Sir Fragula said:
I think this is the best result. The country needs to step toward the left again after years of Blair and the fucking up we're seeing with ConDem - there's a huge swath of Liberal voters disenfranchised by the party's direction now, and a leftist in power will benefit us all.
Well good luck. But the country is more right-wing and anti-union than lefties seem to think. Blair had it right with wooing the aspirational and middle class voters.

I think the real test will not be on Tuesday with the leadership speech, but in the autumn and winter with the strikes. If Ed openly backs the strikes that stops people from getting to work on time and makes life generally inconvenient for the 'real people' on the ground - not ministers and their chauffeured cars (something that seems to escape the notice of RMT and Bob Crow - when was the last time you saw Boris on the tube?), then Labour is doomed.

Walshicus

Zenith said:
How would you view it? Regardless of who you wanted to win it's a 0.6% difference with the majority of MPs and MEPs supporting the person who didn't get in. Not saying their votes should matter more, but now it'll be harder for the leader to work with them. Which he'll do more than with the unions.
It's a victory. He's the better of the two candidates to govern, and we still get Dave Miliband's skillset when he's inevitably given the FCO. Come election time he'll be better placed to pick up the dwindling Liberal vote and to reconnect with those core Labour voters who started to migrate to extremists.

This is the most amicable leadership election I've ever seen, I don't think working relationships are going to be an issue.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Will be interesting to see how campaigning goes on the AV referendum - will Ed support it since that's how he won? Will David oppose? What will the Tories make out of that?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
There was really no ideal leader out of the candidates.

Ed though will be another Neil Kinnock for Labour. He'll change the party, but not enough for it to be electable and he isn't Prime Ministerial.

After the heavy-handed New Labour project it's going to take more than 1 term in opposition for them to work out what Labour is going to stand for again.

Garjon

Sir Fragula said:

LabourElection.png
Well according to that, it was the Ed Balls voters that won it for Ed; in every other round, David won. I do believe that Ed would be the better PM, but I don't think he will be elected since he doesn't seem to appeal to middle England as much as Dave, whom I think is far too much of a Blairite to do well in government.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
phisheep said:
Will be interesting to see how campaigning goes on the AV referendum - will Ed support it since that's how he won? Will David oppose? What will the Tories make out of that?

Everything said so far seems to suggest Labour will torpedo AV using the boundary changes as an excuse (which is very rich seeing as Labour did exactly the same with them when in power, and these boundary changes atleast make some sense in principle).

AV wouldn't benefit Labour, their conversion to it was very much electioneering ahead of a likely coalition Government.

If Ed does support it, it would be a positive sign of change in Labour but I wouldn't count on it.

Garjon

DECK'ARD said:
Everything said so far seems to suggest Labour will torpedo AV using the boundary changes as an excuse (which is very rich seeing as Labour did exactly the same with them when in power, and these boundary changes atleast make some sense in principle).

AV wouldn't benefit Labour, their conversion to it was very much electioneering ahead of a likely coalition Government.

If Ed does support it, it would be a positive sign of change in Labour but I wouldn't count on it.
No way would Ed support it. It would be a like a backbench-relations disaster. Either way, I can't see AV getting through now. As a result, the Lib Dems are heading for a crash at the polls.

Empty

i find it hard to believe ed would do a u-turn on av given he spent the entire leadership campaign repeatedly saying he was for it and would campaign for it, and that his entire pitch for electoral success is about uniting labour and lib dem voters both current and disaffected under one strong centre-left roof.

Mr. Sam

Empty said:
i find it hard to believe ed would do a u-turn on av given he spent the entire leadership campaign repeatedly saying he was for it and would campaign for it, and that his entire pitch for electoral success is about uniting labour and lib dem voters both current and disaffected under one strong centre-left roof.
I don't have a good feeling about it, but we'll see.

DECK'ARD said:
There was really no ideal leader out of the candidates.

Ed though will be another Neil Kinnock for Labour. He'll change the party, but not enough for it to be electable and he isn't Prime Ministerial.

After the heavy-handed New Labour project it's going to take more than 1 term in opposition for them to work out what Labour is going to stand for again.

It will depend on how the spending situation is and how unpopular the coalition is. The Lib Dems are a relic, a dead irrelevance now and the Tory brand is still toxic - both factors combined to hand Labour a big poll boost post-election.

If the spending cuts have been unpopular Labour need only competence and a steady hand to have a very real chance of victory. If the Tories are talking about Ed Miliband and trade unions in 2015, well, it will be because they've already lost it.

Garjon

Empty said:
Welcome to the wonderful world of politics. If he wants to keep his backbenchers in check, he cannot support it, it's as simple as that. Unfortunately.

TheDrowningMan said:
It will depend on how the spending situation is and how unpopular the coalition is. The Lib Dems are a relic, a dead irrelevance now and the Tory brand is still toxic - both factors combined to hand Labour a big poll boost post-election.

If the spending cuts have been unpopular Labour need only competence and a steady hand to have a very real chance of victory. If the Tories are talking about Ed Miliband and trade unions in 2015, well, it will be because they've already lost it.
The cuts are only popular in the eyes of those who think that they are just cracking down on scroungers when in fact, the cuts have almost the exact opposite effect. Speaking of which, I very much doubt that the new Welfare System will be in place before the 2015 election, such is the complexity of what we have now. Making everything under the one banner will do precisely fuck all.

offshore

Dabookerman said:
Am I the only one who will never bother voting again?
No, I'm with you. The choice at the next election will be between three forty-somethings, who all look and talk alike, who all want to be on the centre ground.

Mr. Sam

offshore said:
No, I'm with you. The choice at the next election will be between three forty-somethings, who all look and talk alike, who all want to be on the centre ground.
I'm more concerned with parties than personalities, but I feel similarly apathetic.

Odd, considering I start a Politics degree course on Tuseday. Hmm...

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Mr. Sam said:
I'm more concerned with parties than personalities, but I feel similarly apathetic.

Odd, considering I start a Politics degree course on Tuseday. Hmm...
Don't worry, most Politics lecturers hate politicians and the current state of politics. You'll be in good hands.

I think Ed Milliband is the right choice out of the limited options.

I can't stand David Milliband's smarmy sounding, well-drilled spinsmanship. He's too much like Blair in front of a video camera, at a time when that really isn't a good thing.

Balls just isn't likeable IMO. Not quite as unlike-able to the general public as his buddy Brown, but still... He's big, lumbering, full of partisan bluster... his "ripping out the foundations while the hurricane approaches" attempt at coming up with a "fix the roof when the sun is shining" type soundbyte made me actually facepalm myself.

Abbot got off to a bit of a farcical start really. I don't mind her so much, but I don't think she was ever going to win.

Ed is new. He's only sat as an MP since 2005, being a non-ministerial part of the Labour party before that. He attended the London School of Economics, he's not tainted by close affiliation to either Blair or Brown, or tainted by the Iraq war, which started in 2003... he's not completely shiny shiny young politician like Blair, Cameron and Clegg... he's actually kind of goofy in some ways. And I think people will find that quite endearing rather than annoying. Its easier to believe he's a 'nice guy' because he doesn't come across quite as PR-honed and pitch perfect as the others try to be. If he weathers the pigeon holing that the media and the Conservatives are trying to do on him now (Red Ed, Union lacky and all that) - I have a feeling he'll do well. I still think that times will have to be pretty painful and that there will have to be some kind of scandal or error on the part of the coalition for the country to fully turn against the government again. The public aren't daft, they know the last 13 years of government were under Labour. They'll be reluctant to believe things have changed that much... most people I know didn't give a shit about this leadership election.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
radioheadrule83 said:
I think Ed Milliband is the right choice out of the limited options.

I can't stand David Milliband's smarmy sounding, well-drilled spinsmanship. He's too much like Blair in front of a video camera, at a time when that really isn't a good thing.

Balls just isn't likeable IMO. Not quite as unlike-able to the general public as his buddy Brown, but still... He's big, lumbering, full of partisan bluster... his "ripping out the foundations while the hurricane approaches" attempt at coming up with a "fix the roof when the sun is shining" type soundbyte made me actually facepalm myself.

Abbot got off to a bit of a farcical start really. I don't mind her so much, but I don't think she was ever going to win.

Ed is new. He's only sat as an MP since 2005, being a non-ministerial part of the Labour party before that. He attended the London School of Economics, he's not tainted by close affiliation to either Blair or Brown, or tainted by the Iraq war, which started in 2003... he's not completely shiny shiny young politician like Blair, Cameron and Clegg... he's actually kind of goofy in some ways. And I think people will find that quite endearing rather than annoying. Its easier to believe he's a 'nice guy' because he doesn't come across quite as PR-honed and pitch perfect as the others try to be. If he weathers the pigeon holing that the media and the Conservatives are trying to do on him now (Red Ed, Union lacky and all that) - I have a feeling he'll do well. I still think that times will have to be pretty painful and that there will have to be some kind of scandal or error on the part of the coalition for the country to fully turn against the government again. The public aren't daft, they know the last 13 years of government were under Labour. They'll be reluctant to believe things have changed that much... most people I know didn't give a shit about this leadership election.

With you on that. I don't really understand why anyone thought of David M as a successor leader (though I must be out of step because so many people apparently did). He's shown really good followership skills to the point of embarassment, but nothing like leadership skills.

Balls messed it up by being too partisan and there's no way back.

I'm pleased Diane Abbott was there but to a large extent disappointed she was not a more credible candidate - looked like tokenism from the beginning and she didn't help her own cause much (not sure she took it all that seriously). But she's very strong on civil liberties and community based things and could have made a stronger bid. Trouble is, perhaps she knows herself that the leadership is not her bag.

Heck of a challenge for Ed. I guess it is going to take about a year/18 months to get policy settled and fires damped down, but there's a whole load of looming stuff (PMQs, strikes, strife, press, economic stance, political reform stuff) that he is going to have to handle more-or-less on the fly at the same time and carry his party with him - events can't wait for NEC conferences.

It will be interesting, and I wish him well.

Empty

i would rather have Yvette Cooper as Shadow Chancellor, but given how close the result was i understand Ed taking whatever steps necessary to keep the bitter blairites from tearing apart the party, as well as working as a quick antidote to any spin or media narrative suggesting the result meant the party was divided.

Zenith

Banned
I'm pleased Diane Abbott was there but to a large extent disappointed she was not a more credible candidate - looked like tokenism from the beginning and she didn't help her own cause much

It was tokenism. It was only after some MPs made a public appeal for others to give her the minimum number of votes needed to be in the contest even if they don't want her to win so it wasn't all white men. Completely oblivious to the fact that having to let her in, and on the assumption that she would never possibly win it, only emphasised the opposite.

offshore

Well Ed Miliband's speech was pretty underwhelming (and pretty poorly delivered as well)

We will change Britain

But...that's exactly what Nick Clegg said in his closing statement, and probably what David Cameron will say.

I'm very happy that Ed Milliband has said he'll vote yes on the AV referendum and that he wants to see an elected House of Lords. I would love it if he decides to have the entire party push in that general direction.

A rejection of AV will be seen as full endorsement of FPTP... so people who want STV or some other method should probably also vote Yes. We won't get another shot at electoral reform for another generation if the No vote wins.

Also... I read this today. Do you remember the news stories and Panorama episode centering around 9000 or so public sector workers (civil service and quango employees) earning more than the Prime Minister?

I always found that quite distasteful given that the great majority of civil servants are on less than £21k...

But I read another great article on it today... it makes the point that comparisons to the PMs salary are largely stupid and useless, and also highlights the fact that the report itself into this salary 'scandal' cost the UK taxpayer £650,400+ through Freedom of Information requests. Essentially: a right wing journalistic body wanted to create an alarmist article about public sector pay, so they bombarded government departments with Freedom of Information requests. Those requests wasted time and money, racking up a manpower and research bill of two thirds of a million quid!

The most remarkable thing about these findings is their fixation on the PM's earnings. The idea that public servants shouldn't draw higher salaries than the PM assumes that his salary has been calculated to act as a benchmark for public pay - yet nothing could be further from the truth.

In fact, the PM's salary - along with those of other ministers and of MPs - has been depressed by successive governments' reluctance to be seen to be giving politicians a pay hike (a problem that led, indirectly and inexcusably, to the MPs expenses scandal). Indeed, MPs pay has risen just 36% in ten years - five percentage points behind the growth in average earnings, according to ONS figures. So politicians' salaries have been set largely by political imperatives, without reference to the jobs market. This is not a sensible way to benchmark salaries, particularly when public employers share a jobs market with private businesses.

What's more, the research used the figure of £142,500 for the PM's salary. This is certainly the amount he draws, but only because David Cameron has imposed a five percent ministerial pay cut and elects - following Gordon Brown's lead - to not take his Parliamentary salary. Even after the pay cut, the PM is entitled to take £208,288. Given the fact that he's a millionaire, and benefits from the use of two houses, a catering staff and a ministerial car, it isn't painful for him to sacrifice the extra cash - but not all public servants have such advantages.

So the report erected a straw man in order to thump high public sector salaries. Whose agenda is this?

The report was produced by the 'Bureau of Investigative Journalism': a not-for-profit body lent office space and computers by London's City University. Much of its funding comes from private trust the Potter Foundation, established by the eponymous family of IT entrepreneurs. But its approach - and its success in placing stories so prominently in the mainstream media - probably owes more to its current staff: the team includes two former BBC reporters and a veteran of the Mail on Sunday (The Daily Mail), a combination that may help explain its sceptical take on public sector pay and the production of a dedicated Panorama programme.

The bureau operates using student manpower: according to this newspaper's own slice of 'investigative journalism', the students - many of whom are on City's well-respected postgraduate course in journalism - do two weeks' unpaid labour before recieving a weekly wage of £50 per day. While the work is branded as journalism training, much of it comprises data entry and the sending out of Freedom of Information requests.

In fact, the report gathered its data using some 1,400 Freedom of Information requests. According to the government's 2006 review of FoI, on average these cost government departments £254; in 2008, University College London conducted research that estimated the average cost of a FoI request to local authorities at £288. Taking the middle figure - £271 - the bureau's research probably cost public bodies around £650,400.

Now this is a story. An organisation led by former BBC and Mail on Sunday staffers, funded by an entrepreneurs foundation and manned by unpaid students, has blown nearly two thirds of a million quid of UK taxpayers' money on producing a report closely aligned with the government's hostility to "telephone number" public salaries. This paper is a big fan of the FOI act, but the system was not introduced to help journalism training facilities secure avalanches of publicity while softening up the public for a government assault on public sector pay.

Walshicus

Ed's speech:

Civil Liberties
Activists cheered as he said Labour had appeared "casual" about civil liberties and said he would not let the Tories or Lib Dems "take ownership of the British tradition of liberty".

Foreign Policy
[They] applauded his comment that Labour's foreign policy should be "based on values, not just alliances".

He added that while the alliance with the US was important, "we must always remember that our values must shape the alliances that we form and any military action that we take".

AV Referendum
In a wide-ranging speech, he pledged to vote "yes" in a referendum on changing the voting system to AV

Trade Unions
And he warned that while he said trade unions were important, he had "no truck with overblown rhetoric about waves of irresponsible strikes" and Labour had to be careful not to alienate the public.

Iraq
He told the conference that, while he supported the mission in Afghanistan, in Iraq war had not been a "last resort" and Britain had failed to build sufficient alliances and had undermined the UN.

Financial Crisis
He said he understood voters' anger that Labour had not stood up to City demands for deregulation and "at a Labour government that claimed it could end boom and bust".

Of course all this is just words without action yet, it does set the right tone. His support for AV is heartening.

Wes

venison crêpe
I quite like Ed. Out of all the candidates that went up for it he's probably the one I prefered the most.

Meadows

Banned
I would have gone for Andy Burnham personally but it doesn't really matter because I have no intention of voting Labour for a long time. Very happy with the current government and think that LD and CON are being very grown up about working through their differences for the greater good. If an election were held tomorrow I'd vote LD again.

Oh and here are today's YouGov voting intentions:

CONS 39%, LAB 40%, LD 12%, Others 9%

I would imagine there's a historical trend of announcing new leaders and getting poll bumps.

dr_octagon

Banned
Wes said:
I quite like Ed. Out of all the candidates that went up for it he's probably the one I prefered the most.
David had tones of Blair about him (and was a sure bet to win the leadership bid) whereas Ed isn't as refined. Although he is portrayed as weird, Ed is likeable and there is scope for him to improve. He's not a clone or trying to be like someone else which is a good thing.

Chinner

Banned
Meadows said:
I would have gone for Andy Burnham personally but it doesn't really matter because I have no intention of voting Labour for a long time. Very happy with the current government and think that LD and CON are being very grown up about working through their differences for the greater good. If an election were held tomorrow I'd vote LD again.

Oh and here are today's YouGov voting intentions:

CONS 39%, LAB 40%, LD 12%, Others 9%

I would imagine there's a historical trend of announcing new leaders and getting poll bumps.
obviously election is years away, but who would you vote for then or just no one?

Meadows

Banned
Chinner said:
obviously election is years away, but who would you vote for then or just no one?

It depends really, but I can't see myself voting Conservative, as I don't agree with their policies and ideology (mainly the old guard who are slowly starting to die off) but I do like Cameron. Surprisingly he actually doesn't seem full of bullshit, which is refreshing for a PM.

I don't like Labour. The current lot are, in my opinion, overly prone to bureaucracy and putting a lot of money into stuff that doesn't work. (My dad was a project manager on the NHS IT project for South Manchester and he said the stupid design of the system and crap upper management meant that it was doomed from the start) Ed Milliband seems fine but I doubt he'll change my view.

LD have proven themselves to be pragmatic and responsible in this government, and while they have given up some policies they wanted to put in they did what was best for the country.

Nicktendo86

Anybody see the ITV news today? They ad footage of David clearly turning to Harriet Harman saying “Why are you clapping? You voted for it" with a pretty pissed off look when Ed criticised the Iraq war.

offshore

Nicktendo86 said:
Anybody see the ITV news today? They ad footage of David clearly turning to Harriet Harman saying “Why are you clapping? You voted for it" with a pretty pissed off look when Ed criticised the Iraq war.
Hopefully they'll show that tonight. Although not that it really matters, by tomorrow he's a goner.

Top Bottom