• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF thread of tell me about the rabbits again, Dave.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
There's been artificial drainage of the Levels for nearly 1000 years now - initially by the three local monasteries in the Middle Ages.

The Environment Agency's latest argument is that dredging isn't an appropriate long-term solution as opposed to building protective walls and putting in upstream water storage. That argument doesn't - ahem - hold much water, as they haven't done those things either.

They haven't been entirely inactive. We're lucky here in Weston-super-Mare that our flood defences were massively upgraded a couple of years ago, otherwise probably my shop would be underwater, but that's no comfort to the guys on the Levels a few miles to the south.

It is bloody cold today. Another week of this and maybe there'll be a massive ice-skating party on the Levels which would cheer everybody up a bit, providing anyone can get here of course.

PJV3

It's really not an issue I know a great deal about, but from my limited understanding, when the environment agency was created about 20 years ago, they took a slightly more "hands off" approach that would encourage a more natural environment - good for biodiversity, good for natural habitats for animals and all that lark. The problem, though, is that this isn't natural land. 500 years ago or so, it was all marsh land and some Dutch engineers help craft it into useful agricultural land, and since then it has required human "interference", if you like, to ensure it doesn't flood. Obviously this year is particularly bad in terms of the weather, but my understanding is that in an attempt to be more "natural", the environment agency has effectively stopped doing all the things that have been done for centuries, like dredging the rivers to make sure there's enough spare capacity in them to carry away what would be the marshy water through the drainage system without flooding over its banks.

That's just my understanding from reading a few articles from irked Somersetters though, so perhaps they're just looking for scarecrows.

The people of Somerset need to question their local authority, Worcestershire worked with the EA and they've done well, it isn't easy though, cuts probably stopped them providing funds to match the money from the environment agency.

A scientist was explaining the problem with dredging is creating a bigger problem downstream, the farmers want the river capacity increased on their land, but that creates a large river emptying into a smaller one further on(usually around a village or town) the opposite of what would naturally happen.

Sometimes shit happens, the people and government just need to be realistic about it.
The weather is just mental the last few years.

Thankfully the previous environment minister didn't last long, besides trying to sell off the trees, she was cutting the budget like there was no tomorrow. The present one at least tries to defend the department.

Jezbollah

To be fair there are two parts to this situation - the somewhat increased flooding year on year, and the current freak weather that we're experiencing now. The former deserves more attention, but the latter is the cause of a stalling of the climatic stream around asia, causing the massive snowfalls in the USA and heavier rainfall here.

Resources certainly need to be used to put in additional long term solutions for the levels of rainfall we've been seeing in the past few years, but for something that is a freak occurrence such as what we're experiencing now, that solution might not be viable.

I think theres too much talk of the current situation being part of the climatic trend, not something separate.

PJV3

Ed Miliband is possibly going to regret visiting Wraysbury, There's not much he can do and the people are either tired and angry or naturally arseholish. Knowing the village I'm choosing the latter.

I'd leave the fuckers to drown, they need to realise it isn't just them, Cameron should withdraw the troops and tell them to find the sand themselves.

Whoever advised him to visit Wraysbury needs sacking.

Jezbollah

Ed Miliband is possibly going to regret visiting Wraysbury, There's not much he can do and the people are either tired and angry or naturally arseholish. Knowing the village I'm choosing the latter.

I'd leave the fuckers to drown, they need to realise it isn't just them, Cameron should withdraw the troops and tell them to find the sand themselves.

Whoever advised him to visit Wraysbury needs sacking.

The ever delightful Kay Burley ambushed him after his visit, and pretty much got out of him that he, except for one more site, he had no intention on going elsewhere on his flood visits.

No doubt he was gathering ammo for tomorrow's PMQs.

Jackpot

Banned
How is it Cameron's fault we have had the most rainfall in over 200 years and the environment agency spend £20 mill on maintaining rivers last year compared to £592 mil on staff?

It is his fault their budget was cut with front-line staff first in the firing line..

PJV3

The ever delightful Kay Burley ambushed him after his visit, and pretty much got out of him that he, except for one more site, he had no intention on going elsewhere on his flood visits.

No doubt he was gathering ammo for tomorrow's PMQs.

To be fair to him, he wasn't attacking the government, it isn't the time and nobody can do much about it besides digging a second Thames.

The people in the village need to drop the attitude, humour him and hope he buggers off as soon as possible.

I hope he doesn't attack at question time, Pickles behaved like an arse, it's a natural disaster and we just need to cope with it for now.
If I don't see the sun this year I will start turning mouldy.

It is his fault their budget was cut with front-line staff first in the firing line..

Except that's not true. The overall spending envelope for the EA has increased since 2010 according to the Treasury. Also, the number of people employed by the agency has increased since then as well. What has decreased is the proportion of money they spend on commissioning flood defence work around the country, but that is not something the government controls, it is up to the EA management and they can slice up their budget as they wish within the DEL and AME. The EA is a quango with little to no oversight at ministerial level. Laying the blame at the door of the government only really goes as far as saying that the government should have disbanded the EA back in 2010 and brought their operations back under direct ministerial control. However, that doesn't suit politicians as they are then directly to blame. This way they shift it all onto some other agency.

In all honesty, there is blame enough to go around to the previous government, the current one and the EA. However, that does nothing to help the people who's homes are flooded or the people who have had to close their businesses and are without any income. Instead of having a pointless and expensive review, there needs to be decisive action. Dredge the river beds and increase their capacity, build permanent flood defences, stop building on flood plains and shit can the EA. I think we can all agree that nothing like this will happen though and instead we will get an expensive review chaired by Lord Someone of Ivory Tower who will conclude that, actually no one was to blame for our under-preparedness while the residents will look on in despair...

One of the Reading MP's left him looking a wee bit uncomfortable earlier:

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/local-news/reading-west-mp-alok-sharma-6694413

His main question - "Why are you actually here? Is it for a photo-op?" Is a pretty legitimate one (though not exactly surprising or unexpected - I daresay a Tory leader in opposition would be doing the same thing).

I also like that their local newspaper sounds like a school literacy initiative. "This summer, pick up a book and Get Reading!"

Nicktendo86

His main question - "Why are you actually here? Is it for a photo-op?" Is a pretty legitimate one (though not exactly surprising or unexpected - I daresay a Tory leader in opposition would be doing the same thing).

I also like that their local newspaper sounds like a school literacy initiative. "This summer, pick up a book and Get Reading!"
I fully expect to hear of a flooding crisis at pmq's tomorrow.

Zomg is completely right, dredge the rivers, built proper defences, dont build or farm on flood plains you morons, put accountable ministers in charge and can the ea. Simple, will never happen.

PJV3

It's just awful behaviour, if he didn't visit, people would complain he hasn't shown any interest and is aloof. Why is the leader of the opposition and wannabe Prime minister visiting a natural disaster on the edge of the Capital?

Cameron wandering around in Hi-Vis is equally for show but the people expect it, some people need to grow up. Thank god we don't have earthquakes and other really bad disasters. The nastiness and British cynicism would get wearing pretty quickly.

It's just awful behaviour, if he didn't visit, people would complain he hasn't shown any interest and is aloof. Why is the leader of the opposition and wannabe Prime minister visiting a natural disaster on the edge of the Capital?

Cameron wandering around in Hi-Vis is equally for show but the people expect it, some people need to grow up. Thank god we don't have earthquakes and other really bad disasters. The nastiness and British cynicism would get wearing pretty quickly.

I think it's slightly different because Ed was saying that he was there to help and that he wanted to "work together" with the MP to help the families etc. But... he's the leader of the opposition. There's literally nothing he can do to help. At least Cam, in his high-viz jacket, is in a position to move resources and call up the military/TA. It'd even be different if he were, say, visiting a temporary housing or food centre to help those affected by the flood, thank people for their hard work etc. This is an instance where I'm not sure the classic British cynicism is particularly misplaced.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I think it's slightly different because Ed was saying that he was there to help and that he wanted to "work together" with the MP to help the families etc. But... he's the leader of the opposition. There's literally nothing he can do to help.

Yeah, it's completely different.

It just is not on to be seen to be muscling in on the local MP's turf on live TV, and Miliband deserved what he got. If this were a Labour constituency he'd have set it up beforehand, checked out with the local MP first, given the local guy priority - done all the polite stuff. But he didn't. He just blundered in there asking for it.

Of course, he'd be visiting Labour constituencies instead if any of them were flooded, but they're not.

PJV3

I think it's slightly different because Ed was saying that he was there to help and that he wanted to "work together" with the MP to help the families etc. But... he's the leader of the opposition. There's literally nothing he can do to help. At least Cam, in his high-viz jacket, is in a position to move resources and call up the military/TA. It'd even be different if he were, say, visiting a temporary housing or food centre to help those affected by the flood, thank people for their hard work etc. This is an instance where I'm not sure the classic British cynicism is particularly misplaced.

Yeah, it's completely different.

It just is not on to be seen to be muscling in on the local MP's turf on live TV, and Miliband deserved what he got. If this were a Labour constituency he'd have set it up beforehand, checked out with the local MP first, given the local guy priority - done all the polite stuff. But he didn't. He just blundered in there asking for it.

Of course, he'd be visiting Labour constituencies instead if any of them were flooded, but they're not.

This isn't an election, there's been a week of insults coming from certain people, he visits, he goes away. There's no need for being rude because he's essentially harmless.
I've seen some dickish behaviour this week in Westminster and the media, he's walking in a few puddles, he isn't campaigning. If the MP is threatened by that, then he needs to get over himself.

It was a very downbeat Miliband, he repeated word for word the government line, even praised the government for finally getting the response into gear. Show a bit of class and complain to his office if he overstepped the mark and touched his puddles without asking.

Jezbollah

This isn't an election, there's been a week of insults coming from certain people, he visits, he goes away. There's no need for being rude because he's essentially harmless.
I've seen some dickish behaviour this week in Westminster and the media, he's walking in a few puddles, he isn't campaigning. If the MP is threatened by that, then he needs to get over himself.

It was a very downbeat Miliband, he repeated word for word the government line, even praised the government for finally getting the response into gear. Show a bit of class and complain to his office if he overstepped the mark and touched his puddles without asking.

We'll soon find out, at PMQs, if Miliband was there for anything other than showing support, won't we?

Of course he's campaigning! Or, at least, doing it for purely political reasons. You don't put your party doctors out briefing that you're not going on Daybreak that morning before you're visiting the floods, and families come before media, if you're not chiefly concerned with the media knowing you're there. The MP didn't call him a cunt, he didn't ask him what he was doing to help - he asked him "what are you doing here?" and he didn't have an answer.

PJV3

We'll soon find out, at PMQs, if Miliband was there for anything other than showing support, won't we?

Hopefully, I don't see why he should attack really, there are issues about investment and being honest about the cost, but that's for a proper debate.

Some Tory MPs and journalists cranked up the politics, at least Cameron has his head screwed on.

PJV3

Of course he's campaigning! Or, at least, doing it for purely political reasons. You don't put your party doctors out briefing that you're not going on Daybreak that morning before you're visiting the floods, and families come before media, if you're not chiefly concerned with the media knowing you're there. The MP didn't call him a cunt, he didn't ask him what he was doing to help - he asked him "what are you doing here?" and he didn't have an answer.

Come on dude.

He had to do it, the same MP would slaughter him for sitting in his ivory tower if he stayed away.

The only noteworthy thing about his visits is some of the awkwardness, he towed the unity line and looked at some water.

I'm just irritated by some of the nastiness of the previous week, on its own it wouldn't have bothered me.

Now the Daily Mail tories are waffling on about foreign aid even though Cameron has made clear the money is there, and they know full well there are billions set aside for contingency.

Nicktendo86

Just realised, we have had the same UK poligaf thread since the last election in may 2010, didn't think it would last the full term as it looks like it will. Should we have a new thread for the next election?

PJV3

Man this Nick Clegg guy is something I'd love to have sex with him!

Vote Lib Dems 2010 they're the only party who can stop hikes in tuition fees!

I'm out of the political loop, How are the LibDem's doing? still looking at a rout or are they doing better.

I'm out of the political loop, How are the LibDem's doing? still looking at a rout or are they doing better.

They're still polling in the single digits if I recall correctly.

I've said this before but I'll be surprised if Cleggers is still leader at election time.

PJV3

They're still polling in the single digits if I recall correctly.

I've said this before but I'll be surprised if Cleggers is still leader at election time.

I thought they would rebound, but the recovery is mostly southern focused which helps the Tories I suppose.

Still surprised they're that low.

PJV3

..and in fourth place..

Really? lol
Poor buggers, I'm gonna have to check out the opinion polls, I haven't looked at them for so long. I know UKIP are headed for a good euro election and thats about it.

I've sort of lost interest, which is poor on my part.

They're routinely sloshed into 4th but I think they'll rebound after the European elections. UKIP will come a close second in the European election, then as the GE campaigns ramp up, everyone will forget about them, just like they do with every party that isn't Lib/Lab/Con. I think they'll be very happy if they don't lose any seats, and I don't think that's totally beyond the realm of possibility (thanks to their fairly localised support).

Jackpot

Banned
Except that's not true. The overall spending envelope for the EA has increased since 2010 according to the Treasury. Also, the number of people employed by the agency has increased since then as well. What has decreased is the proportion of money they spend on commissioning flood defence work around the country, but that is not something the government controls, it is up to the EA management and they can slice up their budget as they wish within the DEL and AME. The EA is a quango with little to no oversight at ministerial level. Laying the blame at the door of the government only really goes as far as saying that the government should have disbanded the EA back in 2010 and brought their operations back under direct ministerial control. However, that doesn't suit politicians as they are then directly to blame. This way they shift it all onto some other agency.

Except that's not true. Funding fell 6% and never returned to 2010 levels. 294 flood defense schemes didn't got their funding. Instead the government is trying to outsource the funding.

http://www.private-eye.co.uk/sections.php?section_link=news&issue=1357

Mass redundancies announced for EA including Flood Management.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/w...t-exposed-by-Environment-Agency-job-cuts.html

And we shouldn't pretend government has no influence over the EA just because it's a quango. As has been pointed out, and you yourself admit, it's just a blame buffer.

PJV3

Watching the news and seeing the Environment agency staff erecting a very effective flood barrier saving a town, the staff cuts can't hapoen.

people are complaining that there's nobody helping as it is, Cameron himself in PMQs said the work started by Brown in 2007 is protecting a million homes, it isn't worth the risk.

Jezbollah

I don't think the effectiveness of the Environment Agency on the ground is at issue here - it's the state of the agency in London and lack of effectiveness of those in that office in reacting to and providing for those at the various locations which is.

I would like to know *where* the redundancies are earmarked for the EA.

Edit: FFS Nick. lol ;)

Nicktendo86

I don't think the effectiveness of the Environment Agency on the ground is at issue here - it's the state of the agency in London and lack of effectiveness of those in that office in reacting to and providing for those at the various locations which is.

I would like to know *where* the redundancies are earmarked for the EA.

Edit: FFS Nick. lol ;)

lol :)

The politicians really need to get a grip though, they made this culture of offshoring responsibility to a faceless organisation which will then feather it's own nest. It certainly seems like organisations like the EA prefer to appear to be doing a good job rather than making sure they are actually doing a good job. We need ministers to take charge, grow a pair, and carry the can. Unfortunately with the lily livered lot we currently have, on both sides of the house, I doubt that will happen soon.

PJV3

According to an ea whistleblower staff cuts ate not the problem, its poor management.
http://www.insidetheenvironmentagency.co.uk/index.php?controller=post&action=view&id_post=36

I don't think that changes anything, I'm talking about establishing what is actually needed on the ground, that sounds like an accountant speaking to me. Staff not doing voluntary work may be an issue, but there is still going to be a physical limit.

The government needs to hold a review and tell the agency what it wants.
The EA is a funny department with lots of areas of responsibility, it really needs ministerial oversight.

RedShift

Just realised, we have had the same UK poligaf thread since the last election in may 2010, didn't think it would last the full term as it looks like it will. Should we have a new thread for the next election?

I'd say new thread when the official campaigning starts. Isn't that usually about a month before the election?

Only a year left of this government. How times flies...

Protome

I bring the Scottish love again.

The two major UK political parties (and also the Lib Dems) are all claiming "it would be unlikely" they would enter a currency union with an Independent Scotland.

Sources have said the Treasury review, written by government officials and not by politicians, will argue that for an independent Scotland and the rest of the UK to continue to use the pound, the Scottish and UK governments would have to agree to:

Underwrite each other's banks
Allow taxpayers in one country to subsidise the other
Reach broad agreements on tax, spending and borrowing levels on both sides of the border
The Treasury review will not argue for or against a currency union, but in a speech in Edinburgh on Thursday, Mr Osborne will warn such arrangements would be unacceptable both for Scotland and the rest of the UK.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-26163637

It's most likely just posturing, the benefits of a currency union vastly outweigh the downsides but if they hold the poker face long enough for Salmond to even suggest that Scotland goes with the Euro then the Yes campaign is instantly down the pooper, nobody would support that move. A new currency sounds pretty unlikely but would be the more supported option (and hell, Salmond would probably try and call it "Freedom Bucks" or something. The public would love that.)

I doubt it'll get that far but the UK finally had to come up with some kind of response to Salmond's threat of dumping all the UK debt if they leave the Union, and god knows Darling wasn't up to doing it, the Better Together campaign has been terribly mismanaged thus far.

BBC's piece on where this could lead is pretty decent.

Walshicus

Also, not entering a formal currency union doesn't actually prevent Scotland from using Sterling as legal tender for however long it choses to.

gerg

It's most likely just posturing, the benefits of a currency union vastly outweigh the downsides but if they hold the poker face long enough for Salmond to even suggest that Scotland goes with the Euro then the Yes campaign is instantly down the pooper, nobody would support that move. A new currency sounds pretty unlikely but would be the more supported option (and hell, Salmond would probably try and call it "Freedom Bucks" or something. The public would love that.)

I doubt it'll get that far but the UK finally had to come up with some kind of response to Salmond's threat of dumping all the UK debt if they leave the Union, and god knows Darling wasn't up to doing it, the Better Together campaign has been terribly mismanaged thus far.

BBC's piece on where this could lead is pretty decent.

I don't think it's posturing at all. Having a currency union would be of much greater importance to Scotland than it would be to the rUK. TBH, I've never really understood the appeal of the currency union to begin with: Wouldn't it be likely that the Scots would have to cede much of their fiscal control to the rUK, given the relative size of their economies?

I also found this paragraph in a Guardian OpEd quite apt:

Talk of "threats" from the pro-independence camp is also ironic given that Salmond has been hinting for months that an independent Scotland might refuse to accept its share of the UK national debt should the Treasury refuse to play ball on a currency union. But again, this move fails the credibility test: a newly independent Scotland, whether nationalists like it or not, would have to operate within (and borrow money from) the international markets, which would not look kindly upon debt refuseniks.

Also, not entering a formal currency union doesn't actually prevent Scotland from using Sterling as legal tender for however long it choses to.

True, but what's the benefit of using a currency over which you have no fiscal control? (Although, as I said above, they'd probably get little control over the pound within a currency union anyhow.)

Walshicus

True, but what's the benefit of using a currency over which you have no fiscal control? (Although, as I said above, they'd probably get little control over the pound within a currency union anyhow.)

It's not like they have any influence as it stands anyway.

It's not like they have any influence as it stands anyway.

Well, they do. As a "nation", they're obviously overwhelmed by England (as benefitting the relative difference in population) but, on a constituency by constituency basis, they have as much affect on it as anyone else. It's no greater or less than their control over foreign policy or energy policy - but they'd lose even that apres secession.

Inflation down now to 1.9%, Labour stil banging on about cost of living crisis.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-26239631

Well, Hugh's little bit down the side there says...

"The question now is when wage increases start overtaking price rises.

Most economists expect that to happen from the second half of this year. Consumers, who have suffered a squeeze on their spending power, may feel they will believe it when they see it."

Which is true, BUT it discounts the constant increases in the tax free allowance, which has meant we have had, for the last few years, the strange situation in which inflation has outstripped wages and yet the money people actually get into their bank accounts has outstripped it. Hopefully soon wages themselves will start to, because they can't cut the tax free allowance infinitely.

This is a bit of an inverse-50% rate, though; I think that now the tax allowance has gone up, it'll be politically very difficult to get rid of it again (especially since it principally helps those on the lowest incomes).

Did anybody watch the live debates last night?

It was an odd one, picking up from the whole Benefits Street thing, Channel 4 had a live debate on benefits in the country.

On Channel 5 they had a live debate about Immigration.

I ended up watching the debate on Channel 4 since the immigration debate was a bit of a joke, the five minutes I watched were just Katie Hopkins getting yelled at by dozens of people at once. I may have to watch it in its entirety though, apparently Anjem Choudary turned up and added to the ruckus.

Nicktendo86

It was an odd one, picking up from the whole Benefits Street thing, Channel 4 had a live debate on benefits in the country.

I ended up watching the debate on Channel 4 since the immigration debate was a bit of a joke, the five minutes I watched were just Katie Hopkins getting yelled at by dozens of people at once. I may have to watch it in its entirety though, apparently Anjem Choudary turned up and added to the ruckus.

I watched the benefits street one, seeing the secret millionaire bloke saying to the Labour shadow minister that Labour had 'fucked up' was very funny, I thought the Labour MP's head was about to explode.

The sheer amount of stupidity was infuriating, and Richard Bacon couldn't host a debate if his life depended on it.

PJV3

I can't watch this stuff, it's too ridiculous.
The other day Edwina Currie was hiding in a food bank car park to spy on the service users. That is the level the Daily Politics on the BBC has stooped to.

I'm living in fucked up times.

Top Bottom