• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF thread of tell me about the rabbits again, Dave.

Volotaire

Hague and Clarke are gone, interesting times ahead.
This is kinda random but does anyone seem to notice that the media has forgotten about UKIP? I haven't heard from Farrage in a while.

Wait until this autumn when the pre election campaigning gets into gear and UKIP start detailing some of their manifesto Then they'll be all over the media again.

Nicktendo86

Really surprised at Hague's retirement, I was expecting him to run for party leader again in the future since he's still pretty young.
Been on the cards for a while apparently, wants to lecture in america.

Interesting thought about Hammond, we will have a foreign sec who has openly said he would vote to leave the EU as things stand.

PJV3

Hague was an unremarkable foreign secretary, his Syria policy was fucking lunacy. But He was better than the labour ones(excluding Robin Cook), so I am a bit disappointed to see him replaced by Hammond.

Just read this in the comments about the reshuffle, seems appropriate.
I can't tell if that's a joke or not. Gove is a very effective minister. Lots disagree about the policies, but they are Tory policies that he's enacting, and doing a good job of doing it. Ditto Hunt. They spelt Osborne's name wrong but if he were ever going to go it'd have been in 2012, but you don't sack your chancellor when the economy is doing well. And May has received plaudit after plaudit for her role as Home Sec, I really can't think of any fuck ups at all other than a public spat with Gove.

Oddly, by their own criteria, IDS belongs on that list but is absent!

8bit

Knows the Score
Hague now leader of the House

edit

And Gove now Chief Whip. "He'll have an enhanced role in campaigning and doing broadcast media interviews."

I can't tell if that's a joke or not. Gove is a very effective minister. Lots disagree about the policies, but they are Tory policies that he's enacting, and doing a good job of doing it. Ditto Hunt. They spelt Osborne's name wrong but if he were ever going to go it'd have been in 2012, but you don't sack your chancellor when the economy is doing well. And May has received plaudit after plaudit for her role as Home Sec, I really can't think of any fuck ups at all other than a public spat with Gove.

Oddly, by their own criteria, IDS belongs on that list but is absent!

It's almost definitely coloured by the hard core Tory policies with which I rarely find myself agreeing. But beyond that was Hunt in charge of G4S? May has an entire wikipedia section devoted to contreversies, as does Gove.
And Osborne is just Osborne.

Jezbollah

Nicky Morgan is new education secretary. Good move, I think.

Edit: Lizz Truss to be new environment secretary. Invasion of the women!

Nicktendo86

It's almost definitely coloured by the hard core Tory policies with which I rarely find myself agreeing. But beyond that was Hunt in charge of G4S? May has an entire wikipedia section devoted to contreversies, as does Gove.
And Osborne is just Osborne.
Highest growth in the g7, biggest manufacturing numbers in years, lowest unemployment for years. Yeah, Osbourne must be completely incompetent.

One would suggest you could also tell their priorities based on what roles get doubled up.

Also, No 10 seems to have claimed Nicky Morgan is in charge of equalities again. I presume cockup, but let's see how long it takes them to remember they did that last reshuffle before realising that she doesn't like gay marriage which wasn't at all awkward. 10 minutes she had that brief, I believe?

Nicktendo86

Sharp increase in CPI today, from 1.5% - 1.9%. Still below the 2% target however and we have seen that other countries are having to deal with deflation now, so not a massive issue I don't think. Women's clothing and furniture drove it up, so I don't think Ed can claim "cost of living crisis" is deepening.

First one with a beard on his face maybe.

clap.gif

The "our equalities minister doesn't believe in equality" mess continues:
Cameron Twitter: Nick Boles is Minister of State for the Business & Education depts. Part of his brief will be equal marriage implementation.

Quite fun watching this mess.

clap.gif

The "our equalities minister doesn't believe in equality" mess continues:
Cameron Twitter: Nick Boles is Minister of State for the Business & Education depts. Part of his brief will be equal marriage implementation.

Quite fun watching this mess.

It's so weird! It's not like "equality" and "education" are intrinsically linked anyway. Give equalities to the justice, surely?

PJV3

An environment minister who wanted to sell the forests is slightly disconcerting. I think Cameron is lucky parliament is drawing to a close and legislation is fairly thin, there's low risk promoting people like her this side of the election.

An environment minister who wanted to sell the forests is slightly disconcerting. I think Cameron is lucky parliament is drawing to a close and legislation is fairly thin, there's low risk promoting people like her this side of the election.

Speaking of which, when / how does this coalition govt come to end??

PJV3

I wonder whether this new Education secretary is merely a puppet or capable of independent thought...

She's been on the naughty step a couple of times, nothing major though.

@zomgb

They all are apparently, he's the guy running the show, and he is busy cock blocking Boris for the leadership.

George Osborne puppet.

Wonderful.

If she sticks to what Gove has laid out she'll get just as much stick.

Incidentally, and this is entirely true...our term ends on Friday. In September there is no levelling system in place to measure the progress of children across the various subjects in the forthcoming Curriculum 2014. Yet Ofsted want to be able to use a schools average levels of progress in their reports and analysis.

So effectively more schools will be put into special measures because the DFE haven't actually told anyone how to assess the new curriculum. There certainly isn't any commonly agreed format to do so.

In short:

DFE: TEACH ALL THIS NEW STUFF NOW AND WORKER LONGER FOR LESS
Teachers: What shall we use to measure progress?
DFE: LOL
Ofsted: Special Measures mate.
DFE: Striking harms the reputation of the profession and inconveniences millions of parents and damages the education of children.

She's been on the naughty step a couple of times, nothing major though.

@zomgb

They all are apparently, he's the guy running the show, and he is busy cock blocking Boris for the leadership.

As hilarious as Boris as PM would be, I think it's in everyone's interest that it's George. There seems to be a general consensus that Cam will - should he win in 2015 - stand down in 2017 after the EU referendum, but I'm not entirely sure where this consensus developed from. Did something happen I missed?

kmag

Nicky Morgan is new education secretary. Good move, I think.

Edit: Lizz Truss to be new environment secretary. Invasion of the women!

Morgan is relatively decent although she tends to let her mouth run, but her brief is ridiculous, she's the secretary of state for education, women's minister and she's got the minorities brief as well. That's a big portfolio considering the amount of crap which is starting to come out about the free school debacle.

And how the hell did IDS remain in situ. He's as thick as shite, totally useless and isn't even particularly good at getting his point across. Surely you can him, and then you can pin the blame for the universal credit shambles on him.

PJV3

As hilarious as Boris as PM would be, I think it's in everyone's interest that it's George. There seems to be a general consensus that Cam will - should he win in 2015 - stand down in 2017 after the EU referendum, but I'm not entirely sure where this consensus developed from. Did something happen I missed?

I haven't heard about 2017, sounds reasonable for the length of time he's been tory leader though.

This stuff about Osborne was on the BBC earlier, he has pictures of promoted people he considers loyal on the walls of his office.

The tory source was quite clear about what the message was.

In gut wrenching detail:

http://www.parliament.uk/about/how/elections-and-voting/general/general-election-timetable-2015/

In short: Parliament dissolved at the end of March, General Election early May.

Oh, they're going to hang on right until the end together? I thought there'd be a plan for some sort of amicable split a bit earlier so they could campaign separately for the 2015 election. Isn't it a bit hard to work together in government when you're doing the usual political mudslinging to try and win an election?

That said, I've been pleasantly surprised by how well this coalition thingummybob has gone. The country seems to have trundled along quite happily for the past four years.

Nicktendo86

I honestly don't think Boris is interested in the leadership. Will be between Osbourne and May. I can't pick who the party would pick out of those two

Oh, they're going to hang on right until the end together? I thought there'd be a plan for some sort of amicable split a bit earlier so they could campaign separately for the 2015 election. Isn't it a bit hard to work together in government when you're doing the usual political mudslinging to try and win an election?

That said, I've been pleasantly surprised by how well this coalition thingummybob has gone. The country seems to have trundled along quite happily for the past four years.

I think they basically have stopped doing anything (thus some of the choices of this reshuffle) and are, as it were, staying together for the kids. If they parted ways, then the Tories would officially be in a minority government and would outwardly be unable to perform any proper feats of governing. I think it's in both the LD and Tory's best interests to at least pretend they are, even though they've run out of stuff from the coalition agreement. They have, though, for the last 6 months been getting gradually more open about their disagreements in policy, with Nick Clegg routinely slating the Tories on his LBC phone ins ("This is an issue where we really disagree with the Conservatives" is basically the show's stuffy catchphrase).

What I don't know is what'll happen re: the budget - will there be an early budget in March, a late one in May or just a minor, stop-over budget where nothing changes in preparation for a big one in 2016?

Edit: A tiny bit of research suggests that Georgey boy will be presenting the budget near the end of March - so it'll be basically the final act of this parliament. I assume it'll be incredibly damp as the LD and Tories will be in full-on artillery warfare at that point.

Nicktendo86

I personally have liked this coalition. Many other countries have coalition governments and I think it is healthy, rather than two parties swapping ever few years like in America or with the Tories/labour I think it has been good to have a different party in government and having two sides make comprises and work together. Many people didn't give it a chance to work but I would say it has been a big success, lots of big reforms made even if you don't particularly like them.

I think the lib dems have been given too hard a time as well. They are the junior party in government, of course they would have to make comprises in their policy and go back on out of this world stuff like abolishing tuition fees.

Walshicus

Jeremy - his own rhyming slang - Hunt keeps his job in health then. I guess Cameron feels tosspots would be under-represented in cabinet without him.

Jeremy - his own rhyming slang - Hunt keeps his job in health then. I guess Cameron feels tosspots would be under-represented in cabinet without him.

This new cabinet is horrible, at least with the old one you could point to Ken Clarke or even Hague as decent people. But now? Everyone sucks.

Though to be fair the majority of Blair's and Brown's cabinets sucked.

Jezbollah

The new cabinet demographic also dents one of the opposition's often used digs at lack of gender diversity for those in powerful positions.

In other countries with coalition governments this is the norm.
Usually coalition parties don't hate each other, often they will even campaign to continue the coalition if the numbers are right,
And even if not everyone will be quite open about how they 'want to win a majority' and 'wait for the election results before making any decisions and commitments'. At least in Germany it's usually very civilised and government continues as much as can be expected in the run up to an election.

I for one welcome the high percentage of women, irrespective of their separate merits, as I know too little about them. I can only hope that it is more than just pre election showmanship and carries over to a new cabinet should David be re-elected as PM.

In other countries with coalition governments this is the norm.
Usually coalition parties don't hate each other, often they will even campaign to continue the coalition if the numbers are right,
And even if not everyone will be quite open about how they 'want to win a majority' and 'wait for the election results before making any decisions and commitments'. At least in Germany it's usually very civilised and government continues as much as can be expected in the run up to an election.

I for one welcome the high percentage of women, irrespective of their separate merits, as I know too little about them. I can only hope that it is more than just pre election showmanship and carries over to a new cabinet should David be re-elected as PM.

But in countries where it is the norm, do you often get coalitions like the one we have? A left-wing party and a right-wing party? Or is it normally just parties on the same side of the political spectrum banding together?

Nicktendo86

The new cabinet demographic also dents one of the opposition's often used digs at lack of gender diversity for those in powerful positions.
Yup, hits Cameron's target of a third of his ministers being women. I think its a bit of an insult to say they are token women as some of the press is saying as well, let's wait and see how the new cabinet does.

Edit: unemployment rate falls to 6.5%, amazing.

Top Bottom