• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF thread of tell me about the rabbits again, Dave.

Volotaire

I wonder if he will call a by-election like Carswell or just stay on in Parliament as a UKIP MP.

Haha

Andrew Neil said:
Reports reach me that Mr Cameron has told the Tornados to turn back from Iraq and head for Rochester and Strood.

Volotaire

Already saidnhe is calling by election. Had 10,000 majority at last election.

Oh I missed that. I wonder again if the constituents in this case will be loyal to him or to the Conservatives.

EDIT:

No 10: "Mark Reckless' decision to join UKIP is completely illogical'

No 10 source: 'a vote for UKIP is a vote for Ed Miliband."

Labour: “This is a hammer blow to David Cameron's already weakened authority.'

Volotaire

He (or his PR) blocked Liar MP's from following him.

Liar MPs
@LiarMPs
No idea why he would do this at such a sensitive time in his life! #cock pic.twitter.com/fUIoqyNYOL

Byjt-aJCAAAaklF.png:large

kmag

Brooks Newmark has resigned after allegations of sending dick pics.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...vative-minister-resigns-over-sex-scandal.html

There's a minister for civil society? What next a minister for looking both ways before crossing the road. Government needs a complete clear out.

Oh and this always amuses me, is there anyone in Government who isn't a millionaire?

At the Newmarks' six storey townhouse, worth several million pounds, in Belgravia in central London, dogs could be heard barking from inside but nobody answered the door on Saturday night.

isn't a tabloid sting operation revealing a sex scandal just entrapment?

Entrapment would probably be an issue if it were a legal thing - rather than this which is just a moral thing. If he were a good man he wouldn't try and cheat by sending nudes!!!!! etc.

David Cameron in panic mode. If all else fails, announce policies that make people worse off rather than better off. Yay positivity. I guess going for that core Tory rather than mass appeal.

From ‏@SkyNewsBreak:
David #Cameron has unveiled plans in Sunday Times newspaper to forbid families from claiming more than £23,000 a year in benefit payments

Update - Prime Minister also reveals plans in Sunday Times to ban people aged 18-21 from claiming Jobseeker's Allowance or Housing Benefit

David Cameron in panic mode. If all else fails, announce policies that make people worse off rather than better off. Yay positivity. I guess going for that core Tory rather than mass appeal.

From ‏@SkyNewsBreak:

Welp it's looks like UKIP has caused Dave's humanoid shell to slip off revealing the android that lives underneath.

Maledict

The first policy is a ridiculous, pointless piece of bad legislation. There will be very few families at that level, and those that are probably have either exceptional circumstances or a large number of children. As much as I dislike the benefits culture, I don't want children to suffer either.

The second is just fucking stupid. Utterly fucking stupid.

Why are our current politicians so *bad* at actual politics?

Please tell me he's going down. I've gone from 'not liking him at all' to 'the fucker's got to go' during his run. Another 5 years would be absolutely horrible.

Nicktendo86

Posted in Wayne's thread:

By the way, the benefit cap cut from £26k to £23k is meant to pay for three million apprenticeships. Not sure how many families claim that much (I don't think many at all?) but makes sense to spend the money on apprenticeships, will have to read the full proposals...

If these proposals are in the context of more apprenticeships/help for kids leaving school, that's a narrative I can get behind.

I tend to have time I follow UK politics and times I don't, but I'm trying to get back in for the 2015 election. I have a question though:

What is the reason for UKIPs rise and what do they offer besides racist immigration policy? I thought the Conservatives already made it much harder (I had thought about studying in the UK when I knew I could possibily stay and look for a job if I wanted). I get that they also are pretty anti-EU and represent a break from the 'establishment' but I just can understand the movement seeing as the conservatives exist.

Also, why are tories so pissed. Cameron seems throughly conservative

Volotaire

I tend to have time I follow UK politics and times I don't,

What is the reason for UKIPs rise and what do they offer besides racist immigration policy? I thought the Conservatives already made it much harder (I had thought about studying in the UK when I knew I could possibily stay and look for a job if I wanted)

The immigration policy itself isn't racist per say, it's the attitude of some of UKIP's members and their attitude towards certain sects of the European nationalities i.e. Farage and Romanians and so on. The Conservatives haven't really progressed in the immigration policy from the previous government. I'll try to find figures. They have positioned themselves as the rebel party like the Lib Dems last election, where disillusioned voters among the main two parties have been attracted to their polices. They have also strangely attracted, perhaps, potential Labour working class voters who either are fed up with the 'multiculturalism project' that the government supports or are slightly right wing with their social views. There is a strong contention between ethnic minorities in some cities in the UK. This is slightly strange given their conservative economic policies. I wouldn't be surprised if a few BNP voters are now in support for UKIP. UKIP really are on a roll (glancing at their polls); taking the extreme conservative voters with their main economic objectives as well as attracting the loony xenophobics and attracting some working class voters from labour.

The immigration policy itself isn't racist per say, it's the attitude of some of UKIP's members and their attitude towards certain sects of the European nationalities i.e. Farage and Romanians and so on. The Conservatives haven't really progressed in the immigration policy from the previous government. I'll try to find figures. They have also positioned themselves as the rebel party like the Lib Dems last election, where disillusioned voters among the main two parties have been attracted to their polices. They have also strangely attracted, perhaps, potential Labour working class voters who either are fed up with the 'multiculturalism project' that the government supports or are slightly right wing with their social views. I wouldn't be surprised if a few BNP voters are now in support for UKIP.

So its pretty much disillusioned white Britons pissed at "others", not really a coherent policy different? That what I figured but didn't think such a simple explaination was to blame.

Volotaire

So its pretty much disillusioned white Britons pissed at "others", not really a coherent policy different? That what I figured but didn't think such a simple explaination was to blame.

Well it also comes at a time when the EU is at its weakest point. A failed currency union, bloated structure, undemocratic elections for the heads and immigration flows. The timing of the weakness of the EU, the downfall of the Lib Dems due to their 'manifesto promises', the unpopularity of Cameron amongst his backbenchers, the EU polices, the xenophobic attitude have all contributed to it. I would say it started at the start of the demise of the Lib Dem share of the polls in 2010. Moreover, Nigel Farage is a brilliant speaker and leader even if you don't agree with his policies. A standout personality.

Also, tomorrow is going to be interesting. I had no idea the Con conference was in Brum.

Empty

I tend to have time I follow UK politics and times I don't, but I'm trying to get back in for the 2015 election. I have a question though:

What is the reason for UKIPs rise and what do they offer besides racist immigration policy? I thought the Conservatives already made it much harder (I had thought about studying in the UK when I knew I could possibily stay and look for a job if I wanted). I get that they also are pretty anti-EU and represent a break from the 'establishment' but I just can understand the movement seeing as the conservatives exist.

the tories made immigration harder but being a part of the eu, a core value of which is the free movement of people in the eu, means that they can't touch eu immigration. particular emphasis is put on eastern europeans coming into the country by people on the right as a major problem.

ukip offer a traditional anti-politics platform - politicians are just out of touch oxbridge elite who speak in empty pr platitudes whereas farage is just your regular bloke down the pub speaking his mind - with a big emphasis on eu (cost for the country and lack of control over legislation) and immigration as scapegoats for much wider, complex problems.

the tories are always on the point of boiling over on europe and their mp's have a reputation for being constantly unsettled with their leadership. they got rid of their messiah thatcher, they constantly undermined major as leader. cameron since he became leader tried to rebrand the party away from the 'nasty party' reputation with more socially liberal positions and compassionate conservative rhetoric and it's a bit of an open secret that he didn't really mind being in coalition with the lib dems as they agree on a lot and it gives him political cover to be more moderate. the traditional tory mp's tolerated it for a while as they had just lost three elections in a row to labour, but now they've got power the resentments fester, hence there being a lot of space on the right for ukip to exploit (cameron has moved there in the last couple years to compensate, but it's hard to deal with the momentum).

Volotaire

the tories made immigration harder but being a part of the eu, a core value of which is the free movement of people in the eu, means that they can't touch eu immigration. particular emphasis is put on eastern europeans coming into the country by people on the right as a major problem.

ukip offer a traditional anti-politics platform - politicians are just out of touch oxbridge elite who speak in empty pr platitudes whereas farage is just your regular bloke down the pub speaking his mind - with a big emphasis on eu (cost for the country and lack of control over legislation) and immigration as scapegoats for much wider, complex problems.

the tories are always on the point of boiling over on europe and their mp's have a reputation for being constantly unsettled with their leadership. they got rid of their messiah thatcher, they constantly undermined major as leader. cameron since he became leader tried to rebrand the party away from the 'nasty party' reputation with more socially liberal positions and compassionate conservative rhetoric and it's a bit of an open secret that he didn't really mind being in coalition with the lib dems as they agree on a lot. the traditional tory mp's tolerated it for a while as they had just lost three elections in a row to labour, but now they've got power the resentments fester, hence there being a lot of space on the right for ukip to exploit (cameron has moved there in the last couple years to compensate, but it's hard to deal with the momentum).

He is definitely viewed as this to voters as a deceptive coy, but in reality, Farage is near the same as the 'Oxbridge elite' since he was public schooled and has worked extensively in the financial sector (he did not go to university).

If the Cons win a majority in 2015 they will absolutely destroy themselves over Europe.

God forbid they have to form another coalition with the Lib Dems, I don't even know if the party could last until 2020 like that.

If the Cons win a majority in 2015 they will absolutely destroy themselves over Europe.

God forbid they have to form another coalition with the Lib Dems, I don't even know if the party could last until 2020 like that.

It'll be an interesting lancing, though. Its true that they'll tear themselves a part but a lot of the reason for the Tories constant Europe problems is precisely because it's constantly ignored as an issue. That won't be the case in 2017 of they win, so whilst the fighting will be horrible, hopefully it'll leave a more united party that has finally come to terms with Europe, depending on what result we get.

I can't imagine what they'd need to offer the LibDems, though, to get them to sign off on the EU referendum - PR as part of any EV4EL reform? If they're in a coalition with them, I mean, obv. UKIP will hardly win any MPs I think, but they'll kill enough Tories that I think the Lib Dem MP count won't dive quite so much as their poll ratings, thanks to con/LD marginals.

Volotaire

The Chancellor will abolish a 55% tax that currently applies to untouched "defined contribution" pension pots left by those aged 75 or over, and to pensions from which money has already been withdrawn.

Inheritors will now only pay the marginal income tax rate, or no tax at all if the deceased was under 75 and the pension is left untouched.

The Treasury predicts the new policy will cost approximately £150m per year.

The idea was first floated in July, when a consultation was launched.

Jezbollah

Yes! Let's give more money to the statistically richest demographic while taking it from the poorest! genius idea, Dave.

Or anyone who decides to withdraw funds from their pension. Which can mean anyone.

Edit: I just saw that there are apparently 12 million people with defined contribution pensions. If that's the "richest demographic" then the UK is LOADED.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Or anyone who decides to withdraw funds from their pension. Which can mean anyone.

Edit: I just saw that there are apparently 12 million people with defined contribution pensions. If that's the "richest demographic" then the UK is LOADED.

The 65+ demographic on average are more wealthy than any other working age demographic. 18-24 are poorest. Sort of obvious why.

kmag

Don't you still have to be over 55 to make a withdrawl? So yes, it's a clear unambiguous sop to the Tory demographic. Old folk and the kids of rich old folk.

Word is that Farage is going to announce another major MP defection from the Cons to UKIP to steal the thunder out of Cameron's speech on Wednesday.

Who wants to guess who the next defector will be? Jacob Rees-Mogg?

Volotaire

Word is that Farage is going to announce another major MP defection from the Cons to UKIP to steal the thunder out of Cameron's speech on Wednesday.

Who wants to guess who the next defector will be? Jacob Rees-Mogg?

No! I really like Jacob Ress-Mogg as a Parliamentarian (despite my differences of opinions on policy). Although quite the rebellious Tory, I don't think he would desert them. There are a lot of Eurosceptics and staunch Libertarians within the Conservative party. I'm unsure who would be next without looking at each Tory backbencher MP.

The Mogster should be a bigger blow them Reckless or Carswell IMO, insomuch as those two were always locked in their boxes where as Moggy was allowed on telly - he was even on HIGNFY wasn't he?

Also this thread is now 300 pages long. Doesn't that mean we need a new one?

The Mogster should be a bigger blow them Reckless or Carswell IMO, insomuch as those two were always locked in their boxes where as Moggy was allowed on telly - he was even on HIGNFY wasn't he?

Also this thread is now 300 pages long. Doesn't that mean we need a new one?

400 means new.
And yea Rees-Mogg was on HIGNFY. Last year I believe.
That would indeed be a blow, but it seems so very unlikely!
He can be soo 'funny', I remember a scene with him where he was trying to tell a regular bloke at the pub that he and the conservatives where there for him in wait for it ...Latin...

Maledict

It's an MEP apparently. Has written a book with one of the defectors and was best man at the others wedding so the rumour going round is that it's a case of 'when, not if'. Of course I think MEPs who switch party are even more slimed than normal MPS because of the way the euro elections work.

As for Osbornes latest plan, yet again I'm reminded that no matter how far they go with their social stuff sometimes the Tories really are an alien species to me. We *already* have a huge issue with the cuts and burden on savings being put onto younger people to protect the older vote! and now we double down on that?

Wish younger people would actually vote.

kmag

It's an MEP apparently. Has written a book with one of the defectors and was best man at the others wedding so the rumour going round is that it's a case of 'when, not if'. Of course I think MEPs who switch party are even more slimed than normal MPS because of the way the euro elections work.

As for Osbornes latest plan, yet again I'm reminded that no matter how far they go with their social stuff sometimes the Tories really are an alien species to me. We *already* have a huge issue with the cuts and burden on savings being put onto younger people to protect the older vote! and now we double down on that?

Wish younger people would actually vote.

Gideon whittering on about a big issue with the size of the countries benefits bill, but anyone willing to bet he'll actually do anything substantive about it? Nope, that would require hitting pensioners and there's not a hope in hell he'll do that. He'll fiddle about the margins with cuts to disabled people (particularly disgusting given millionaire Dave's claiming of full rate DLA) and cuts on poor people he's already repeatedly hit.

Hmm, Dan Hannan. I dunno, he's been making a lot of noises about how switching to UKIP = a vote for Ed. So was Reckless but Reckless is a bit of a shit where as Hannan is in the sort of Govite school of politician who has personal confidence of conviction bordering on the ecclesiastic that I find it hard to believe he'd do the same as Reckless. That said, whilst the electoral system means, yeah, he's a shit if he changes, it also insulates him from the Miliband charge he laid at the feet of Reckless and Carswell, so who knows.

wtf is this shit?
UKIP on border control and immigration.

As if a soldier is suddenly qualified to be either... o_O?

I'm not entirely sure why a 12-year military Veteran would want to work on the Border Control team, anyway. We only have one land border and that's with a country in the EU. What exactly would a border patrol person do - stand around Stansted looking a bit mean with machine guns? Because they already have quite a few of those.

Actually, maybe that's exactly what they mean...

Mindwipe

Entrapment would probably be an issue if it were a legal thing - rather than this which is just a moral thing. If he were a good man he wouldn't try and cheat by sending nudes!!!!! etc.

It's a regulatory thing though - the Mirror is signed up to IPSO and the code says not to do this unless there is a very clear public interest, which is very shaky ground here.

I also expect a judge will throw the book at them if the woman who's pictures were used sues them for copyright infringement - it's an open and shut case. There's no public interest defence for copyright infringement anyway, it's not fair dealing in any way, sexual misrepresentation tends to be regarded as an aggravating factor for damages in case law, there was no attempt at clearance and the Mirror is both more than familiar with how copyright works (it's frequently litigant in the area) and had the resources and time to get pictures from a fully consenting individual if needed.

I think it's pretty crazy that he resigned. I mean, I understand why, but I think it's crazy that he felt he had to. Who cares.

Dan's column in today's Mail:

http://t.co/rlEbQipUDy

(Hopefully that gets around the filter? I don't want to break the rules here but the person we're talking about literally wrote it, it's not a news story so hopefully it's OK in this instance.)

kmag

So Gideon's big push is going to be a cut in inheritance tax and a massive cut in welfare but not to pensions who instead get a massive tax cut. Talk about pandering to your existing support.

The Tories have no chance of a majority at the next election. A veer to the right isn't going to get them additional support, it might slow down the bleeding to UKIP but I fail to see how it gets them above their 2010 high water mark. Hung parliament here we come.

The Tories in a nutshell; happily gutting protections for the poorest in society so they can feather their own nests and that of their families with large tax cuts on the inheritance of capital. It's not like we already live in one of the most inequitable Western societies or anything like that. Lets put more folk on the street so Tarquin's estate doesn't have to pay so much tax when he snuffs it, and his mewling brats can get even more of a leg up.

It's a regulatory thing though - the Mirror is signed up to IPSO and the code says not to do this unless there is a very clear public interest, which is very shaky ground here.

I also expect a judge will throw the book at them if the woman who's pictures were used sues them for copyright infringement - it's an open and shut case. There's no public interest defence for copyright infringement anyway, it's not fair dealing in any way, sexual misrepresentation tends to be regarded as an aggravating factor for damages in case law, there was no attempt at clearance and the Mirror is both more than familiar with how copyright works (it's frequently litigant in the area) and had the resources and time to get pictures from a fully consenting individual if needed.

Very fair point on IPSO - this smacks of fishing trip. And two women having photos stolen coming out against it can't help them. Though The Mirror didn't actually publish any of their pictures with the story, though their freelancer technically published them to Twitter?

And on the thing itself, possible issue of “causing a person to indulge in sexual activity without consent” according to this blog - http://barristerblogger.com/2014/09...unday-mirrors-sting-brookes-newmark-criminal/

I'm not entirely sure why a 12-year military Veteran would want to work on the Border Control team, anyway. We only have one land border and that's with a country in the EU. What exactly would a border patrol person do - stand around Stansted looking a bit mean with machine guns? Because they already have quite a few of those.

Actually, maybe that's exactly what they mean...

If there's one thing military people hate it's guard duty, that's why it is mostly done by contractors...

Top Bottom