• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF thread of tell me about the rabbits again, Dave.

I've had a thought but it's quite dark so I'm going to spoiler tag it

Do you think Dan Hodges brings himself to orgasm by saying "Ed Milliband's in trouble, oh yes, ED MILLIBAND'S IN TROUBLE NOW"

Nah he probably jerks it to a photoshopped picture of David Miliband standing outside No. 10.

Walshicus

The UKIP MP thing is just too depressing for me to get into, so tangent time.

YouGov poll has come out with Scottish voting intentions:

SNP: 40% (vs 20% in 2010)
Labour: 28% (vs 42%)
Tory: 18% (vs 17%)
Lib Dem: 7% (vs 19%)
Green: 3% (vs 1%)
Other: 3% (vs 1%)

You really have to wonder what the Westminster seats are going to look like for Scotland next year.

Colin.

The UKIP MP thing is just too depressing for me to get into, so tangent time.

Not a nice thought, no. But Carswell was always going to win that by-election. A case of voting for the man, and not the party. As he had a very similar result in 2010. Heywood and Middleton on the other hand was interesting. Labour safe seat going from a 6000 win, to just 600. Yet you still had complacent spin from the likes of Douglas Alexander, and Ed Miliband running off after his statement, when it came time for questions. Pathetic.

YouGov poll has come out with Scottish voting intentions

Had a look, and this appears to be a sub sample. Opposed to a Scotland specific poll (which I'd be interested to see) But Labour support will definitely be taking a hit.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Subsample with ~90 people in it, margin of error is 26 points either way. The moral of this story is never trust a subsample.

Today I was thinking about seating arrangements in the House of Parliament, because I was wondering where Carswell will be seated.

Anyway I was surprised to learn that there is only enough room for 2/3 of all MPs to sit at the same time. Isn't that a bit of joke?
Now I know it rarely happens that all MPs want to be present, but surely the opportunity should exist. It seems mockery of democracy if not all elected persons can take part in the process in an equal measure.
So what happens if too many MPs show up?
Do they all start to stand like sardines in a tin?

Nicktendo86

Today I was thinking about seating arrangements in the House of Parliament, because I was wondering where Carswell will be seated.

Anyway I was surprised to learn that there is only enough room for 2/3 of all MPs to sit at the same time. Isn't that a bit of joke?
Now I know it rarely happens that all MPs want to be present, but surely the opportunity should exist. It seems mockery of democracy if not all elected persons can take part in the process in an equal measure.

They have to stand in the aisles.

Even more reason why the number of MP's should be cut down.

Basically yeah:

pmq.jpg

I don't mind if they're a bit uncomfortable sometimes.

RedShift

So apparently the TV debate format is set.

• One done by Sky and C4 (with Paxo) that's just the two potential PMs, Dave v Ed
  • One on the BBC that has Dave, Ed and Nick
  • One on ITV that has all 4, Dave, Ed, Nick and Nigel
Lot of people annoyed that UKIP are getting representation and the Greens aren't when they have the same amount of MPs, though I think you do have to take into account polling really. And of course some in UKIP are annoyed that they only get allowed in one debate when they're polling much higher than the LDs.

I hope Ed has been getting some serious coaching...

Uzzy

• One done by Sky and C4 (with Paxo) that's just the two potential PMs, Dave v Ed
Lot of people annoyed that UKIP are getting representation and the Greens aren't when they have the same amount of MPs, though I think you do have to take into account polling really. And of course some in UKIP are annoyed that they only get allowed in one debate when they're polling much higher than the LDs.

I don't think it's set yet. Both the Lib Dems and the Conservatives are calling the format unacceptable, and frankly it is. The Greens should be represented, given that they have one MP (like UKIP), and are polling as well as the Lib Dems. It's also rather bizarre to start off with the smallest debate, then finish with the widest possible one. The field should be narrowed as we get closer to election day, really.

Jezbollah

I don't think it's set yet. Both the Lib Dems and the Conservatives are calling the format unacceptable, and frankly it is. The Greens should be represented, given that they have one MP (like UKIP), and are polling as well as the Lib Dems. It's also rather bizarre to start off with the smallest debate, then finish with the widest possible one. The field should be narrowed as we get closer to election day, really.

Agreed. Let's get all four parties in there.

I take it Scotland, Wales and NI will have their own televised debates?

Interesting to see a bit of chat online about "but what about the Greens!!" more than the national parties with say, more than 1 MP. Probably "only of interest to a few people" driven behind it but the focusing on Greens v UKIP is worth noting.

I think we really need to work out what these debates are for. What is their purpose? Is it just meant to be a funsy party political broadcast? In which case sure, have the Greens. But surely it's not, because... that's what party political broadcasts are for, non? Surely it's about the individuals (or, at least, them as a representative of the government that they would form). In other words, it's about potential leaders. In 2010 this was quite simple - the choice was really between Gordo and Dave for PM, so it made sense that they debated. It didn't really make sense for Nick to be there because he was never going to be PM. Then he started doing well, and their polling went up (twist 1). Then the GE happened and they actually lost seats (twist 2). Then he became kingmaker and ended up Deputy PM (twist 3).

So in that sense, given the polls and the chances of another hung parliament, I can see the arguments for allowing the smaller parties in because whilst neither Nick nor Nigel will ever be PM, they might end up with a senior ministerial or executive position, and again, if this is about the leaders then surely that can't be ignored. HOWEVER on those grounds - about holding the balance of power and possibly forming a part of government - it's obvious that a) the Greens shouldn't be within a country mile of it and b) the SNP should, because it's entirely possible that the SNP will become the 3rd largest party in Westminster if the Lib Dems continue their march of shittiness and UKIP do little more than hamstring the Tories.

The polls and the fact that UKIP came top of the last nationwide election and will probably have at least two MPs by the time the debate rolls around. There are probably more defections to come as well.

Also, re: Ed, I think expectations are so, so low that actually he'll need to start violently wanking on stage for people to come away with a more negative view of him than they have already. Chances are he'll land one or two decent blows amongst all the ones thrown back at him, but that'll probably be enough for most people to raise their opinion. The bar is set so ridiculously low for him.

Nicktendo86

Also, re: Ed, I think expectations are so, so low that actually he'll need to start violently wanking on stage for people to come away with a more negative view of him than they have already. Chances are he'll land one or two decent blows amongst all the ones thrown back at him, but that'll probably be enough for most people to raise their opinion. The bar is set so ridiculously low for him.
Problem is it doesn't matter, labour voters will hold their noses and vote. Ukip will split Tory vote and we will end up with Miliband as PM.

Eurgh.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Problem is it doesn't matter, labour voters will hold their noses and vote. Ukip will split Tory vote and we will end up with Miliband as PM.

Eurgh.

He really wouldn't be that bad. He's far more qualified than Cameron was prior. Plus Cameron isn't well liked overseas, anyway, so it isn't as if he would make that much of a difference. He's terrible at PR but he is intelligent and apparently likeable in person. It wouldn't be a disaster in any way.

To be honest I'd probably gain respect for him if he did that.

He really wouldn't be that bad. He's far more qualified than Cameron was prior. Plus Cameron isn't well liked overseas, anyway, so it isn't as if he would make that much of a difference. He's terrible at PR but he is intelligent and apparently likeable in person. It wouldn't be a disaster in any way.

Cameron had some kind of non-political career. Ed has gone from uni to party to wonk to MP to leader. In no way is he more qualified that Dave was in 2009. Cameron isn't well liked overseas basically because he is seen as a UK first type of PM and since 1997 international organisations had been used to internationalist PMs who were happy to go with a consensus, either with the EU or with the US. Moving back to the Blair model of selling British interests down the river so the PM can be well liked overseas is not in our national interest. I don't know what Ed would be like but his sycophantic fawning over Hollande and Obama doesn't fill me with confidence.

Uzzy

I think we really need to work out what these debates are for. What is their purpose? Is it just meant to be a funsy party political broadcast? In which case sure, have the Greens. But surely it's not, because... that's what party political broadcasts are for, non? Surely it's about the individuals (or, at least, them as a representative of the government that they would form). In other words, it's about potential leaders. In 2010 this was quite simple - the choice was really between Gordo and Dave for PM, so it made sense that they debated. It didn't really make sense for Nick to be there because he was never going to be PM. Then he started doing well, and their polling went up (twist 1). Then the GE happened and they actually lost seats (twist 2). Then he became kingmaker and ended up Deputy PM (twist 3).

So in that sense, given the polls and the chances of another hung parliament, I can see the arguments for allowing the smaller parties in because whilst neither Nick nor Nigel will ever be PM, they might end up with a senior ministerial or executive position, and again, if this is about the leaders then surely that can't be ignored. HOWEVER on those grounds - about holding the balance of power and possibly forming a part of government - it's obvious that a) the Greens shouldn't be within a country mile of it and b) the SNP should, because it's entirely possible that the SNP will become the 3rd largest party in Westminster if the Lib Dems continue their march of shittiness and UKIP do little more than hamstring the Tories.

That's why I think it'd be best to start the debates with as broad a field as sensible, to allow as many parties as possible to have their say and put their case to the public. Then as the polls show which parties are likely to emerge with a preponderance of seats or play a role in the next government, the debates can be narrowed down a bit, with a final debate being between the most likely prime ministerial candidates.

There is an argument against the SNP appearing in the UK wide debates though. They'll field some 59 candidates at the next UK election, and in previous years have got a smaller share of the vote then UKIP or the BNP. They're not a UK wide party. Even the Greens and the BNP fielded enough candidates to, in theory, make up the UK Government. Nor would the SNP form a part of the government, unless they abandon their stance on not voting on English/Welsh/Northern Irish only issues.

Volotaire

When people start reading the small print (a quote from this terrible Newsnight debate. It's still strikes me as fascinating how a large majority of the electorate don't realise that UKIP's conservative orientated polices aren't small print, it's their ideology. UKIP really do have a terrific marketing campaign at the moment.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Cameron had some kind of non-political career. Ed has gone from uni to party to wonk to MP to leader. In no way is he more qualified that Dave was in 2009. Cameron isn't well liked overseas basically because he is seen as a UK first type of PM and since 1997 international organisations had been used to internationalist PMs who were happy to go with a consensus, either with the EU or with the US. Moving back to the Blair model of selling British interests down the river so the PM can be well liked overseas is not in our national interest. I don't know what Ed would be like but his sycophantic fawning over Hollande and Obama doesn't fill me with confidence.

Cameron barely had a career - he got a cushy job through connections, not sure it really is that much different. Milliband is more qualified because he has actually been a Cabinet Minister. Not a major one, granted!

The latter stuff is irrelevant to what I was talking about, all I am saying is that he wouldn't be a huge step down in any meaningful sense. I actually think Cameron is a decent statesman, even if I dislike the Conservative party as a general collective.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

I think this amongst all else is why going attack dog on Ed so early was a stupid idea. Expectations management would have been to say he's reasonable to good, then lambasted him after the leaders' debates when he didn't live up to it. As it is, most people aren't like us and pay only limited attention to politics - only two-thirds of voters knew there had been party conferences, for example - and probably take in 'Ed is shit' via social osmosis. The leaders' debate is pretty unique in terms of how much visibility it has, and it's not at all the place you want your opponent to exceed expectations.

I think this amongst all else is why going attack dog on Ed so early was a stupid idea. Expectations management would have been to say he's reasonable to good, then lambasted him after the leaders' debates when he didn't live up to it. As it is, most people aren't like us and pay only limited attention to politics - only two-thirds of voters knew there had been party conferences, for example - and probably take in 'Ed is shit' via social osmosis. The leaders' debate is pretty unique in terms of how much visibility it has, and it's not at all the place you want your opponent to exceed expectations.

Yup. That said - and I'm sort of arguing against my own point here, but I guess you bring that out in me Crab! - it didn't do that much good for the Lib Dems last year. By any objective measure, the Lib Dems "won" the debates insomuch as they gained huge levels of public awareness and Nick personally saw his ratings go up, and then they lost seats.

There's also the fact that the very same "people take a lot more notice of the debates" thing that might encourage some to raise their opinion of Ed might also really hit home to would-be UKIP voters who want to give Cameron a kick in the gonads exactly what they risk getting if they do so.

8bit

Knows the Score
Carswell also failed to attend a debate on evel today which is a bit baffling.

The more light is shown on the party the bigger the joke they will be shown to be.

Was that the Scotland debate that was mostly hijacked into something else? I didn't think it was supposed to be EVEL out of the box.

Anyway, that's Sturgeon pretty much officially leader of the SNP now as her leadership bid is uncontested.

--

Oh and this was supposedly posted earlier :

Bz-S3pMCUAARpMK.png:large

Was that the Scotland debate that was mostly hijacked into something else? I didn't think it was supposed to be EVEL out of the box.

I dunno if fixing a constitutional problem can really be considered a "hijacking" of an issue, especially when that issue - further devolution to Scotland - is massively interwined with it.

8bit

Knows the Score
I dunno if fixing a constitutional problem can really be considered a "hijacking" of an issue, especially when that issue - further devolution to Scotland - is massively interwined with it.

Well, maybe hijacking is a poor phrase, what I understood was going to be a debate on devolution with a focus on Scotland said very little about that from reading the transcript.

To wit:
Angus Robertson said:
Is it not the case that today’s debate is on devolution following the Scottish referendum, rather than a general debate on English votes for English laws, which many of us have great sympathy with? Why are we not debating the future of devolution in Scotland, instead of being sidetracked by Tory Back Benchers?

http://www.publications.parliament....141014/debtext/141014-0001.htm#14101465000001

Well, maybe hijacking is a poor phrase, what I understood was going to be a debate on devolution with a focus on Scotland said very little about that from reading the transcript.

To wit:

http://www.publications.parliament....141014/debtext/141014-0001.htm#14101465000001

Whilst I'm sympathetic, how much debate is there to be had about devolution to Scotland? The party leaders (and, for some reason, Brown) all got together without consulting the electorate and already made a plan. What's left to discuss?

pulsemyne

And you think there's no one at all from the other parties that might agree with him?

I don't think there is anyone in labour or the libs who would harber such vile ideas. Anyway that argument is utter daft. This man said it and works as a minster in DWP. He should resign and if Cameron had any balls he would fire the shit head.
Also Cameron using his dead son defence at PMQ's was awful to see. Again.

I don't think there is anyone in labour or the libs who would harber such vile ideas. Anyway that argument is utter daft. This man said it and works as a minster in DWP. He should resign and if Cameron had any balls he would fire the shit head.
Also Cameron using his dead son defence at PMQ's was awful to see. Again.

Charity voices anger after MPs 'mocked Tory with disability'

Pressure mounted on the Speaker, John Bercow, to investigate after Maynard – who was elected as the Conservative MP for Blackpool North and Cleveleys in May – told the Times on Saturday that some Labour MPs were "pulling faces" at him in apparent mimicry of his disability as he delivered a speech in October, which he said had been one of the hardest things he had done in his life.

"They were constantly intervening, trying to put me off my stride, which may be just normal parliamentary tactics," said Maynard, who previously served as an adviser to the defence secretary, Liam Fox, and as a speechwriter for William Hague. "But some were pulling faces at me, really exaggerated gesticulations, really exaggerated faces."

He added: "Only they know for certain whether they were taking the mick out of my disability. But it felt like it."

Inflation down to just 1.2%!

This is horrible, the governments of the UK and throughout Europe NEED to be spending a shit ton more of money to stimulate the economy and raise rates of inflation.

An aggressive policy of monetary easing and fiscal stimulus would get us out of the economic doldrums in a year or two.

pulsemyne

This is horrible, the governments of the UK and throughout Europe NEED to be spending a shit ton more of money to stimulate the economy and raise rates of inflation.

An aggressive policy of monetary easing and fiscal stimulus would get us out of the economic doldrums in a year or two.

Not going to happen. The stock market is about to have a big crash and guess what governments across europe are going to do....

Not going to happen. The stock market is about to have a big crash and guess what governments across europe are going to do....

Yeah it's pretty likely that the recovery is gonna slow down a lot over the winter, I wouldn't be surprised if unemployment goes back up. Hopefully a recession inside a recession will at least lead to rejection of the pro-austerity right in Europe.

Yeah it's pretty likely that the recovery is gonna slow down a lot over the winter, I wouldn't be surprised if unemployment goes back up. Hopefully a recession inside a recession will at least lead to rejection of the pro-austerity right in Europe.
What option do they have, though, when they don't control their own central bank? Raising money via bonds quickly become unaffordable for a lot of Eurozone countries.

Top Bottom