• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF thread of tell me about the rabbits again, Dave.

Meadows

Banned
I sent my vote off last night, hopefully it'll reach Aberconwy in time!

Right everyone it's that time again, post what you voted (if you've voted by post/proxy), or intend to vote in 2 days!

Try and keep to this template and I'll compile the results of who would win if GAF was the only electorate!

Constituency: Aberconwy (local)/North Wales (regional (only put this on if you're in Wales/Scotland obviously))

Local: Plaid Cymru

Regional: Plaid Cymru

AV: Yes

Meadows

Banned
Also interesting is all the Canadians in their PoliGAF thread complaining about FPTP being unrepresentative for the country. Lessons to be learnt?

Constituency: Stirling(local)/ Mid Scotland and Fife (regional)

Local: SNP
Regional: SNP/Scottish Green Party (unsure, mostly depends on final polls)

Meadows

Banned
Actually (although I encourage you to post in the thread about who you voted for):

Take this survey:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/KVDTPX3

I'll post ongoing results throughout the next few days. This way people get a better view of people's intentions and lurkers can vote as well.

edit:

oops, I wrote "who did you vote for" instead of "who will you vote for". You get the gist, I'm sure most of you know by now who you're going for.

Meadows

Banned
So far:

Locals:

Conservatives: 33.3%
Labour: 16.7%
Lib Dems: 33.3%
Plaid Cymru: 16.7%
(none for the rest yet)

AV:

Yes: 66.7%
No: 33.3%

Regionals:

Labour: 50%
Plaid Cymru: 50%
(only 2 votes on this so far)

JonnyBrad

Meadows said:
So far:

Locals:

Conservatives: 33.3%
Labour: 16.7%
Lib Dems: 33.3%
Plaid Cymru: 16.7%
(none for the rest yet)

AV:

Yes: 66.7%
No: 33.3%

Regionals:

Labour: 50%
Plaid Cymru: 50%
(only 2 votes on this so far)

There aren't any local elections in Wales (only regional) so why count the Welsh votes?

Meadows

Banned
JonnyBrad said:
There aren't any local elections in Wales (only regional) so why count the Welsh votes?

You vote twice in Wales, once for your local (constituency) and once for your regional rep.

JonnyBrad

Meadows said:
You vote twice in Wales, once for your local (constituency) and once for your regional rep.

I see sorry i thought you were lumping us in with the council elections which i assume you are not tallying?

Meadows

Banned
JonnyBrad said:
I see sorry i thought you were lumping us in with the council elections which i assume you are not tallying?

I am tallying. It's general voter intention/party affiliation, not an estimate of the results.

Also:

Locals:

Conservatives: 22.2% (2)
Labour: 22.2% (2)
Lib Dems: 22.2% (2)
Plaid Cymru: 11.1% (1)
SNP: 22.2% (2)
(none for the rest yet)

AV:

Yes: 77.8% (7)
No: 22.2% (2)

(both NOs also intended to vote Conservative)

(Wales & Scotland only) Regionals:

Labour: 25% (1)
Plaid Cymru: 25% (1)
SNP: 50% (2)

Meadows said:

It's kinda weird combining council elections and general elections, but I can see why you've done it that way.

JonnyBrad

killer_clank said:
It's kinda weird combining council elections and general elections, but I can see why you've done it that way.

I agree. Local council elections shouldn't be lumped in with assembly elections. People tend to vote very differently with council elections as it is a very local thing. But for the purposes of this poll it will suffice.

Omikaru

I'm 99% certain that on Thursday I'll be voting:

Welsh Assembly Constituency: Labour (I'm in Cardiff North, which is a Tory/Labour marginal, so I'm looking to unseat the Tory)
Welsh Assembly Regional: Plaid Cymru (somewhat of a protest vote, but I don't want to give Labour another vote, and I'm not voting LibDem when there's a better alternative for Wales)
Referendum: Yes

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Constituency: Weston-super-Mare (Tory/LibDem marginal)
Local: Conservative
AV: No

Yep, I'm one of the shameful two.

JonnyBrad

I voted on the survey but i don't mind showing the way i vote so here you go.

Constituency: Conservative: Cardiff South and Penarth
Local: Conservative

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
JonnyBrad said:
Constituency: Cardiff South and Penarth

Ah, if I stroll down to the beach I can probably see your house from here. They ever build that barrage we can have a party half-way.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Constituency: Glasgow Maryhill and Springburn [Local] / Glasgow [Regional]
Local: SNP
Regional: SNP

Walshicus

Constituency: Crawley (Tory/Labour marginal)
Local: Liberal Democrat
the candidate is a family friend, so couldn't vote against them for fear of motherly scorn!

Meadows

Banned
Update: (18 voters)

Locals:

Conservatives: 16.7% (3)
Labour: 44.4% (8)
Lib Dems: 16.7% (3)
Plaid Cymru: 5.6% (1)
SNP: 16.7% (3)

AV:

Yes: 77.8% (14)
No: 22.2% (4)

(NOs are the 3 Conservative voters, and one Labour voter, Labour has sided 7:1 in favour of YES so far)

Labour: 33.3% (3)
Conservatives: 11.1% (1)
Plaid Cymru: 22.2% (2)
SNP: 33.3% (3)

Meadows

Banned
Just a note, I'm not pretending that these are anything other than indicative of the voting nature of GAFers. This poll is not trying to predict the election, just measure the behaviour of voters on this board. Interesting to see such a strong Labour majority on here, it's at 47.4% at the moment.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Wes said:

That's quite neatly done. Though the argument/demonstration does depend on the existence of clear common ground among the runner up options (they are all pubs). Wouldn't have semed anywhere near so compelling had the options been coffee, pub, shopping and rugby.

And this is why, it seems to me, AV mostly appeals to those who believe in the existence of a natural non-conservative block vote who would be happy with any old policy so long as it doesn't emanate from the Conservative Party. I'm by no means convinced that such a block actually exists.

Walshicus

phisheep said:
And this is why, it seems to me, AV mostly appeals to those who believe in the existence of a natural non-conservative block vote who would be happy with any old policy so long as it doesn't emanate from the Conservative Party. I'm by no means convinced that such a block actually exists.
That block definitely does exist. There are more than enough people who vote tactically in this country. And it's not like it doesn't go both ways - the Conservative/UKIP/BNP "block" for example.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Sir Fragula said:
That block definitely does exist. There are more than enough people who vote tactically in this country. And it's not like it doesn't go both ways - the Conservative/UKIP/BNP "block" for example.

Well, if it does exist and if it wants to get into power, there's a perfectly sensible way of doing it - which is to put up a joint manifesto and joint candidates and in effect construct their coalition agreement before the election so that people know what they are voting for.

That seems to me a far more upfront and honest way of dealing with this issue than fiddling with the voting system at a constituency level and leaving policy to chance and who has the biggest stick.

(again, I should emphasise just in case anyone gets the wrong end of the stick that I'm not against electoral reform, but I don't think that constituency-level AV is either a good end result or a good step to take).

AV referendum: Huhne confronts Cameron over No campaign tactics

Huhne really should stop complaining, nobody likes a sore loser. Anyway, he is being hypocritical considering that he too is guilty of using dirty tactics against Nick Clegg during the Lib Dem leadership election.

While I won't be voting myself, I suspect the no vote will win. I'm just interested in how Ed Miliband will position Labour in relation to electoral reform - will he continue to press for electoral reform or will he assume that the public is content with FPTP for the time being?

Walshicus

phisheep said:
Well, if it does exist and if it wants to get into power, there's a perfectly sensible way of doing it - which is to put up a joint manifesto and joint candidates and in effect construct their coalition agreement before the election so that people know what they are voting for.

That seems to me a far more upfront and honest way of dealing with this issue than fiddling with the voting system at a constituency level and leaving policy to chance and who has the biggest stick.

(again, I should emphasise just in case anyone gets the wrong end of the stick that I'm not against electoral reform, but I don't think that constituency-level AV is either a good end result or a good step to take).
How then does a left-leaning green operate in a constituency dominated by left-leaning nationalists? There is clearly enough space for multiple political parties at both ends of the spectrum and in the centre - but requiring that they pre-determine their 'coalition' intentions? That just seems a bit silly. It's not the parties themselves who determine their degree of interchangeability - it's voters.

I just don't see why you're afraid of AV. It just seems that your concerns - the "unaccountability" of coalitions - are concerns that are equally fielded at every other form of electoral reform, which you claim to be in favour of.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Sir Fragula said:
How then does a left-leaning green operate in a constituency dominated by left-leaning nationalists? There is clearly enough space for multiple political parties at both ends of the spectrum and in the centre - but requiring that they pre-determine their 'coalition' intentions? That just seems a bit silly. It's not the parties themselves who determine their degree of interchangeability - it's voters.

I just don't see why you're afraid of AV. It just seems that your concerns - the "unaccountability" of coalitions - are concerns that are equally fielded at every other form of electoral reform, which you claim to be in favour of.

Oh, I don't think I'm afraid of it - and I certainly don't buy, for example, the arguments that it is too complicated to understand/expensive and so on that the No campaign keeps trotting out. I do have concerns about its 'fairness' at constituency level, which I've detailed somewhere further up the thread - of course I recognise there are different legitimate views that can be held about that, though most of the argument about seems to hinge on various assumptions about how the voting patterns would work out.

And I'm not all that fussed about coalitions in concept or in practice - indeed I'm very happy with the one we have now.

My major concern is entirely the other way around - it is the apparent tendency of AV to accentuate landslides - and landslides are usually a bad idea because big majority governments - of whatever political colour - have a tendency to push through grossly unfair and/or illiberal legislation (for example Thatcher's Poll Tax or Blair's 90 days) against which our only protection is the dear old House of Lords which despite its lack of democratic legitimacy does a pretty good job of standing up to stupid government legislation.

EDIT: (missed out a step in the logic first time round - oops) Now, the diffficulty with this is that if you are going to push through some big significant constitutional change you need either a big majority or a big consensus. On the turkeys-for-christmas principle, a government with a big majority might be able to, but won't want to, push constitutional change. And on the opposition-for-opposition's sake principle you'll never get a big enough consensus from a slim majority - as we're seeing at the moment. And I don't really want a voting system that tends to exaggerate these swings and so decrease the likelihood that we'll get the changes.

EDIT:(new para) Besides, having taken a step towards AV, there may well be less inclination to push quickly for a further change. As I think I said further up the thread (or maybe somewhere else) I suspect Lords reform will be a better trigger for PR than the AV referendum, and the AV referendum - if the answer is yes - might end up slowing it all down.

So, taking AV as a sort of first step towards more proportional representation in the Commons seems because of this to make the eventual achievement of proportionality less, not more, likely.

Now, I recognise that not everyone - in fact maybe nobody at all(!) - will agree with that, but it seems to me to be a principled and tenable position and that's why I will be voting No.

(That's rather an abbreviated summary of my position - happy to expand/discuss, but it seemed unfair to subject you to a lecture at this stage! EDIT: dammit, looks like you got at least half the lecture anyway)

EDIT: That said, I'm also rather suspicious of the polls, and in particular whether all those polled are going to vote. I suspect that the demise of the Yes camp has been greatly exaggerated and that the final result will be closer than expected (not least because of the horrible No campaign, which may have shot itself in the foot). And if the vote goes Yes then I won't be railing against it - hey, that's direct democracy - but I will have to recast my own little vision for the future of UK politics a touch.

EDIT AGAIN: Rather surprising support for this point of view from Ed Miliband -

Ed Miliband via the BBC said:
Labour "should have" tried to change the UK voting system while it was in power, leader Ed Miliband has said.

The party broke a 1997 manifesto pledge to hold a referendum because it had "too big a majority," he admitted, but he had pushed for one in cabinet.

Ed Miliband said:
"Look we had too big a majority, and when a government comes along and has a majority of 170 there's not much incentive to change the electoral system, it's fair to say."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-13278050

Meadows

Banned
Update: (24 voters)

Locals:

Conservatives: 20.8% (5)
Labour: 45.8% (11)
Lib Dems: 16.7% (4)
Plaid Cymru: 4.2% (1)
SNP: 12.5% (3)

AV:

Yes: 75% (18)
No: 25% (6)

(5 of the NO votes came from the Conservative voters, with one from Labour, Labour voters currently favouring YES 10:1)

Labour: 33.3% (3)
Conservatives: 11.1% (1)
Plaid Cymru: 22.2% (2)
SNP: 33.3% (3)

There was only one voter who didn't pick the same party twice in the local/regional election; the voter chose Labour for the local election, and Plaid Cymru for the regional election.

Meadows

Banned
If GAF was representative of the UK electorate and voted this way in a general election the results would look like this:

dcaUr.png

Results of this are relatively similar to the 1997 Blair election, although in that election PC/SNP did less well than they did in the GAF poll, and the Conservatives gained 10% more votes than on this GAF poll.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Constituency: Bishop Auckland (current home away from home)

Local: Labour

Regional: Labour

Oops, sorry to ruin any results.

Meadows

Banned
Thnikkaman said:
Constituency: Bishop Auckland (current home away from home)

Local: Labour

Regional: Labour

Oops, sorry to ruin any results.

no worries, keep voting! I'll keep doing it up until the election with cool stats interjected with my (non)expert analysis.

Wes

venison crêpe
Anyone see the Conservative party election broadcast on BBC1 tonight? Apparently there was a transmission error half way through a Cameron speech.

Meadows

Banned
dcaUr.png

Interestingly with the swing-o-meter, is the lack of specificity with what "other" means. The data I put into it shows a grey dot in London, so I can only presume that the swing-o-meter believes that we're putting a lot of far-right votes in and that we would get a BNP MP in Barking.

The lack of ANY far-right voters may make the map look a little different in our GAF reality, with a couple more Welsh/Scottish seats going to nationalist parties - but the Labour dominance is more than accurate of voter's desire so far on GAF.

blazinglord said:
AV referendum: Huhne confronts Cameron over No campaign tactics

Huhne really should stop complaining, nobody likes a sore loser. Anyway, he is being hypocritical considering that he too is guilty of using dirty tactics against Nick Clegg during the Lib Dem leadership election.

While I won't be voting myself, I suspect the no vote will win. I'm just interested in how Ed Miliband will position Labour in relation to electoral reform - will he continue to press for electoral reform or will he assume that the public is content with FPTP for the time being?

Huhne's a nasty bastard. Next leader of the Lib Dems. He will beat Lamb once Clegg becomes an EU commissioner.

Anyway, it looks like a wipeout for Yes. Latest polls are 33% yes, 66% no.

Wes

venison crêpe
'Ken Livingstone, Labour's candidate for London mayor, has said that the American decision to kill Osama bin Laden, rather than take him alive and put him on trial, makes President Obama look like "some sort of mobster".'

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Yeah, there was a brief glimmer of home that there might be a late turnaround but it looks like it's going to be a wipeout. The whole campaign has been a fiasco really, no one understands AV and the negative campaigning and bad analogies of the No campaign stuck.

Also, having it the same day as the local elections may have saved money but it probably doomed it from the beginning. It's the older generations who are more likely to vote, and they are more likely to vote for the status quo.

All a bit sad really for such a rare opportunity to reform an outdated system, it would have been at least a step in the right direction.

kharma45

Getting round to watching the Northern Ireland Leaders Debate from last night now, God almighty Margaret Ritchie's delivery or rhythm of speech, whatever is the right term for it is, is bloody awful. So hard to listen to.

Undecided yet how to vote for yet in our Assembly elections. We've that tomorrow too as well as Council elections and the AV referendum.

Meadows

Banned
Just watched this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01103xc/Young_Voters_Question_Time_Young_Voters_Question_Time/

The first half an hour is an infuriating mix of fearmongering and left wing idealism. A girl said that we were in Afghanistan because of the oil and we weren't in Bahrain because they had none, and called the British army a terrorist organisation. I literally contemplated suicide because my brain cannot take such gross stupidity.

The second half is a ridiculous, pantomime reflection of young people's often unjustified hatred of Nick Clegg. God those people are dumb.

Actually I watched some more of the second half, it's just bollocks, don't waste your time. Emigrate. Now.

Meadows

Banned
Update: (28 voters)

Locals:

Conservatives: 17.9% (5)
Labour: 42.9% (12)
Lib Dems: 17.9% (5)
Plaid Cymru: 3.6% (1)
SNP: 10.7% (3)
UKIP: 3.6% (1)
Independent: 3.6% (1)

First UKIP vote and "other" vote.

AV:

Yes: 67.9% (19)
No: 32.1% (9)

(Comeback from the NO camp, NO votes breakdown as following:

Conservative: 5
Labour: 2
UKIP: 1
Independent: 1

Labour siding with YES 6:1)

Labour: 30% (3)
Conservatives: 10% (1)
Plaid Cymru: 20% (2)
SNP: 30% (3)
Liberal Democrats: 10% (1)

(Interesting is a 50% siding with Nationalist parties in Wales/Scotland)

Top Bottom