• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Retailer GAME is dead | Brera's Lament

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordAlu

How are well will GAME be stocked for the Vita launch tomorrow? Am I going to be able to walk out with a memory card or will I have had to put down a deposit and sacrifice my first born?
Consoles are in short supply but there will be some Wi-Fi ones available to just walk in and pick up (not sure about 3G). You can't get a 16GB Memory Card as they're all sold out, but you should be able to pick up an 8GB one. As for games, unless you want Uncharted or FIFA then you'll need to be down there first thing and hope they have a couple of spares of other games.

dose

EDIT: People have bad experiences in pretty much any store, supermarket, online store... Yes, there's a huge amount of complaints here, and yesy management of these chains and their relations with suppliers need to be vastly improved but mistakes happen from time to time. Jeez, the Council emptied my bank account due to a human error a few months ago (calimed over £900 as tax I owed them). Yes I was pissed (like I would be with GAME if I don't get my ME:3 pre order), but they dumped it back into my account after a few hard days and I accpeted the apology I got. If I don't get my pre-order for any reason, I'll wait and pick it up elsewhere. It doesn't mean I won't shop at GAME anymore...
I think you're one of the lucky ones. There are so many people that have had bad experiences of pushy staff and poor service in videogame stores such as these that it's hard not to ignore. As I said previously, you don't get that hassled to that extent in any other store you go in (although Currys/Comet etc.. come close).

Ahh! I thought I hadn't seen it in a while, it obviously lost quite a bit of business during the re-shuffle. I've just been assuming it was in a different 'wing' of the the shopping center (I get pretty lost in there, so many shops).

I also find myself drawn into the 'bargain bin' style lot next to Barclays recently... it's SO naff, but they occasionally have some gem worth picking up.

Sounds like we've been the lucky ones when it comes to GAME though!

Good luck and light-speed with your pre-order Corris!! I'll be on a self-imposed ban for those 3 days... It was hard enough avoiding all talk of the demo until I downloaded it yesterday though.

Consoles are in short supply but there will be some Wi-Fi ones available to just walk in and pick up (not sure about 3G). You can't get a 16GB Memory Card as they're all sold out, but you should be able to pick up an 8GB one. As for games, unless you want Uncharted or FIFA then you'll need to be down there first thing and hope they have a couple of spares of other games.

Wow, totally sold out of 16GB cards?

I've got a Wi-Fi pre-order at HMV, but thanks for the heads up!

mclem

Is Stockport (now here's a place which has gone down hill) the only place where they have a Game and a Gamestation next door to each other.

Yes, next door.

I am surprised they are still standing. It was kinda justified when Gamestation sold collectible games on older platforms and older consoles etc.

Interesting that they are. There was a Gamestation and a Game in the Westgate Centre in Oxford which were about three shops away from one another, but the Gamestation has since closed.

I guess it might just be an inconvenience of leases? How long have both been there?

liger05

Is Stockport (now here's a place which has gone down hill) the only place where they have a Game and a Gamestation next door to each other.

Yes, next door.

10488584.jpg

I am surprised they are still standing. It was kinda justified when Gamestation sold collectible games on older platforms and older consoles etc.

I remember back in the day being able to find imported Dreamcast games in gamestation.

dc89

They've been there for many years. Probably around 10 years, I remember them being there when I was in high school and I'm now 23.

---

Game have announced in a statement that they will not be stocking Ubisoft titles at Vita launch.

“At this time we will not be selling the following Ubisoft titles; Lumines Electronic Symphony, Michael Jackson: The Experience, Rayman Origins, Asphalt Injection and Dungeon Hunter Alliance,” the chain said in a statement.

“All customers affected by this decision have been made aware of the situation and we will continue to communicate any updates to customers through our Twitter and Facebook feeds.”

http://www.vg247.com/2012/02/21/game-will-not-stock-ubisoft-vita-launch-titles-in-uk/

Carl posted this over in the Vita thread, but thought it was appropriate here too.

... damn.

StuBurns

Banned
Hopefully that means Sony are selling Lumines hella cheap on PSN and it's pissed them off. Maybe it is just because they're poor, but it's wishful thinking.

Yeah Gamestation used to be an excellent independant store. Cheaper prices, older consoles! You could find all sorts of old crap in there! Then they got bought out and are just as bad...

jono51

Banned
Yeah Gamestation used to be an excellent independant store. Cheaper prices, older consoles! You could find all sorts of old crap in there! Then they got bought out and are just as bad...

Yep, pretty much. Don't really know why they haven't just branded them all as GAME now, as its just the same shit with a different name.

Really pissed off with Game at the moment with their silence to instore Vita pre-orders.
I'm stuck with credit and just want to get rid of it now and move on.
Looks like I'm stuck paying £230 for the console alone.

LordAlu

Really pissed off with Game at the moment with their silence to instore Vita pre-orders.
I'm stuck with credit and just want to get rid of it now and move on.
Looks like I'm stuck paying £230 for the console alone.
What do you want to know? :)

Hixx

They've been there for many years. Probably around 10 years, I remember them being there when I was in high school and I'm now 23.

---

Game have announced in a statement that they will not be stocking Ubisoft titles at Vita launch.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/02/21/game-will-not-stock-ubisoft-vita-launch-titles-in-uk/

Carl posted this over in the Vita thread, but thought it was appropriate here too.

... damn.

I was going to buy Rayman from Gamestation with the vouchers I've been unable to spend so far.

This is getting really annoying now.

Gowans

It's like watching a terminally patient in denial.

Don't think it will be long now unless there is some kind of breakthrough treatment done quick.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
So it sounds like GAME will have less of a Vita launch and more of a Vita whimper.

I wonder if they will even make it to Wii U at this rate.

Is anyone else offering the Diablo 3 collector's edition in the UK? Reading this thread has made me somewhat sceptical and I'm not sure I am man enough to keep that perorder now... :(

What do you want to know? :)

Well, would really like to know if they are offering any bundles. Asking on Twitter and email had no results last week other than a "we'll be having bundles but don't know what yet".
I've preordered the Wifi model, 16GB card and Everybodys Golf. This is almost £300 instore at last check.

LordAlu

Well, would really like to know if they are offering any bundles. Asking on Twitter and email had no results last week other than a "we'll be having bundles but don't know what yet".
I've preordered the Wifi model, 16GB card and Everybodys Golf. This is almost £300 instore at last check.
In-store I think they've only got three bundles.
  • Wi-Fi Vita and Uncharted for £260, 3G model is £310.
  • Wi-Fi Vita, Uncharted and FIFA for £285, 3G model is £335.
  • Wi-Fi Vita, Uncharted, £10 SEN Voucher and Memory Card (can't remember which size) £300, 3G model £350.
I'm not 100% sure about GAME, but Gamestation is also doing games for £25 when bought with a Vita, from a choice of six. Unfortunately I can't remember what they are off the top of my head. :(

• Wi-Fi Vita, Uncharted, £10 SEN Voucher and Memory Card (can't remember which size) £300, 3G model £350.
I'm not 100% sure about GAME, but Gamestation is also doing games for £25 when bought with a Vita, from a choice of six. Unfortunately I can't remember what they are off the top of my head. :(

Ok, thanks for the information. I'll pop past Tesco on the way to Game tomorrow morning and see if Game match any offers they may have as I don't see much of a saving with the first 2 listed (plus I don't want either game :) )

LordAlu

Ok, thanks for the information. I'll pop past Tesco on the way to Game tomorrow morning and see if Game match any offers they may have as I don't see much of a saving with the first 2 listed (plus I don't want either game :) )
To save you the time, I guarantee you GAME won't match any offers from other retailers. At all. :(

-Cally-

Neo Member

Three of them are definatly UMvC3, Virtua Tennis and F1 2011. I was on the phone to them earlier.

This is really turning into a death spiral, guess nobody wanted to to bite on the overseas businesses (which I thought were doing alright for themselves) or didn't bite instantly. Also could we get a rename of the thread to "won't have stock of some new titles; won't usually know until days before release" (guess that exceeds the character limit though)

Ah so its a repeat of the Japanese Vita launch then? I'm pleased Sony and everyone else learned...

Edit: Given GAMEs previous dubious business practices* I'm going to make a joke that they didn't get any Ubisoft Vita stock as their Amazon order at the glitched price** got canceled.

*-Buying Xbox 360 from Sainsburys when they [Sainsburys] were selling below Microsofts wholesale price and also the whole "go buy 3DS from Tesco to make sure we have enough for a the launch" (though I'm pleased everyones tactic of overstating pre-orders to try and ensure stock for a shortage that never came backfired horrifically)
**-when amazon first put prices for the games on pre-order they got the saving and price the wrong way round

Yeah that's the kicker. I don't know anybody who'd pass up double capacity (for all intents and purposes) for an extra £10. The 16GB cards practically buy themselves if you're looking at DD.

Maybe they did?

Hmm. I have SSX pre-ordered with GAME, thinking about switching to ShopTo, even though I miss out on the exclusive retailer content. Thoughts, feelings?

Temrer

Neo Member
Is anyone else having trouble with Game.co.uk? I have about £15 of points I want to get rid of before they go belly-up but the search function's not working and you can't remove Out of Stock items from the page :///

Zafir

Is anyone else having trouble with Game.co.uk? I have about £15 of points I want to get rid of before they go belly-up but the search function's not working and you can't remove Out of Stock items from the page :///
Search seemed to work fine for me about half an hour ago when I used my reward points on a £15 PSN top-up. Tried using a different browser?

Temrer

Neo Member
Yeah, I tried with Firefox and Chrome both, but I think I worked it out - if a game is "out of stock" but they have pre-owned copies, it's showing up as "in stock". If you click the "New" link on the left of the screen it seems to work.

Cheers, though! :)

How are well will GAME be stocked for the Vita launch tomorrow? Am I going to be able to walk out with a memory card or will I have had to put down a deposit and sacrifice my first born?

I can't speak for all of the stores but at our one we've got quite a few Wi-Fi units, certainly enough free stock for regular customers (but I don't wish to guess how long they'll last). 3G units didn't turn up at all, they are due on an early delivery tommorow. Stock-wise for the games there is tons of Uncharted, a fair amount of Fifa, Modnation, Little Deviants etc., only enough of BlazBlue and Shinobido for pre-orders, a handful of Ridge Racer and a really small number of everything else.

For the memory cards there aren't any free 16GB and there is a couple of handfuls of 4 and 8gb cards - probably enough for a 1 to 1 ratio with the free stock systems. Finally for accessories there are tons of the official Sony accessories but almost no Gameware ones (including no standalone screen protectors).

As for The Last Story I've got to say I'm not happy with that, we were told not to take any more pre-orders today but not that there wouldn't be any stock at all - I've just very quickly had to shove down an order with Amazon. If there is one thing Game should be doing right now, it's making sure all pre-orders are fulfilled - not pulling this crap.

Hmm. I have SSX pre-ordered with GAME, thinking about switching to ShopTo, even though I miss out on the exclusive retailer content. Thoughts, feelings?

I've heard ShopTo are excellent, the prices are generally better, and sometimes you even get extra content. I'm ordering Mass Effect 3 and get a free t shirt >:D

Danny 117

I've heard ShopTo are excellent, the prices are generally better, and sometimes you even get extra content. I'm ordering Mass Effect 3 and get a free t shirt >:D

ShopTo are really amazing. I usually buy all of my new releases from them and get the games a day early! I cannot recommend them enough.

For the memory cards there aren't any free 16GB and there is a couple of handfuls of 4 and 8gb cards - probably enough for a 1 to 1 ratio with the free stock systems. Finally for accessories there are tons of the official Sony accessories but almost no Gameware ones (including no standalone screen protectors).

Thanks for the info. I did have £40 credit for a 16GB so it looks like I'll be going elsewhere. Seems crazy paying £30 for half the storage.

Thanks for the info. I did have £40 credit for a 16GB so it looks like I'll be going elsewhere. Seems crazy paying £30 for half the storage.

To be fair I'm expecting a fair few customers will end up going for 4/8gb cards instead of their 16gb pre-orders anyway, you usually find that people pre-order a number of items and then come in on the day not even wanting the basic bits needed to operate the system - then return a week later to pick up said bits.

If you are heading in the direction of a Game store I'd swing in and see what their situation is with the 16gb cards, as soon as the first pre-order customer changes their mind that one ends up as free stock so you could put your name down for one and most likely end up getting it on Thursday.

To be fair I'm expecting a fair few customers will end up going for 4/8gb cards instead of their 16gb pre-orders anyway, you usually find that people pre-order a number of items and then come in on the day not even wanting the basic bits needed to operate the system - then return a week later to pick up said bits.

If you are heading in the direction of a Game store I'd swing in and see what their situation is with the 16gb cards, as soon as the first pre-order customer changes their mind that one ends up as free stock so you could put your name down for one and most likely end up getting it on Thursday.

Okay, cool. Thanks for your help.

Yeah, I'm a regular customer of ShopTo, so no worries there, but if possible I'd like the extra content.. but I'm worried about Game messing about.

syoaran

I'll be honest, I'm half expecting GAME to cancel ME3:CE orders a day prior to release now. I'm trawling the website now to use up the stockpile of reward points up...

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I remember back in the day being able to find imported Dreamcast games in gamestation.

Gamestation were awesome here, had lots of old games and were always selling new ones generally less than GAME were, the people who worked there are the time were really into and knowledgable on games too, you have to go into CEX to find the same types these days.

I remember back in the day when I was waiting for Golden Sun: The Lost Age to come out I went into Gamestation to ask about the date of release, the guy behind the counter told me that it was in a few months and if I was a big fan of it, I of course told him I was and couldn't wait till it came out.
He asked if I could come back the next day which I said I could and to bring some money, I came back the next day and he sold me an 2nd hand Imported copy for £12, oh man that was the best day, I was so excited to get home and copy over my save data from GS1 and continue playing.

We have quite a few spare screen protectors, but we're missing the hard-case and a couple of other accessories.

The lack of any Ubisoft games and no Unit 13 at launch is a bit of a kick in the balls. What's even worse, we got no copies of Dungeon Hunter Alliance / Dynasty Warriors in despite two customers paying a £2 deposit each for pre-ordering them. Personally, I think that's pretty stupid. Luckily that £2 deposit can go towards anything else (money off the Vita or whatever), but they're still going without the games they wanted. Everything else seems good! We're all set for tomorrow; dressing up in-store too as characters from Vita games. :)

Rich!

goddamnit, i'm worried now.

My pre-ordered vita had better be there at open tomorrow morning, or people are gonna pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom