• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Retailer GAME is dead | Brera's Lament

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkified

Right, before Christmas game publishers allowed Game Group to pay for their games a little while after release. Fuck these companies, if you don't want to risk shit happening to your product - do consignment distribution.

I feel for Game, more than the publishers.

I literally just finished putting up posters today at work saying "Come in and try Street Fighter X Tekken on the 9th of March!" I then come home, nip onto MCV and read this... FML.

cjelly said:
I'm sure a GAFer was running a tournament on launch day in the GAME he works in.

I'm sure he can grab a copy from Tesco on his way to work.

Yeah. That was me (but I'm at GameStation, not GAME.) You try to do nice things for the company and then this happens. :(

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I am sure having no stock of all the new games in a calendar month is no problem! They'll bounce back guys! Especially after being forced to discover all the better prices available on the market. Guys? GUYS?!

That's it, definitely spending my £6 left on my reward card during my lunch break (I keep forgetting)

I have £40, was going to get SSX with it but went to Blockbusters for some reason.

Now I'm probably going to have to pick up an older title that I've missed or some MS Points.

Omikaru

I am sure having no stock of all the new games in a calendar month is no problem! They'll bounce back guys! Especially after being forced to discover all the better prices available on the market. Guys? GUYS?!

You're right, dammit! I'll just go and redeem my reward points on shares in the company.

8bit

Knows the Score
I literally just finished putting up posters today at work saying "Come in and try Street Fighter X Tekken on the 9th of March!" I then come home, nip onto MCV and read this... FML.

"Come in and try Street Fighter X Tekken on the 9th of March!"

Bring Your own fighting sticks.

And copies of Street Fighter X Tekken.

123rl

Game: Give us better credit or we won't stock your games
Publishers: Fuck off. We won't send you any games
Game: Oh...shit. Erm, please?

Game: Give us better credit or we won't stock your games
Publishers: Fuck off. We won't send you any games
Game: Oh...shit. Erm, please?Oh yeah? Well... WE WON'T SELL THEM Mwhahahahahahahahah.

Lots of high fives as share prices go through the roof.

Game: Shares - We have plenty of those in stock

LordAlu

Yeah. That was me (but I'm at GameStation, not GAME.) You try to do nice things for the company and then this happens. :(
Yup, I was gonna bring in a couple of fightsticks for people to try the game at our GS. This pretty much means no new release titles at all for Friday now.

That is terrible, I really feel for ya

Linkified

This is why the games industry needs to move to consignment distribution, but if Game Group goes under, I guess Shopto and supermarkets will raise their prices

Yeah, I'm joking on and taking the piss, but I will say I feel sorry for all the guys who might end up losing their jobs in the near future. Can't think of many people who join GAME for a career, certainly not with their shady 'hours' system (signing people to 4 hour contracts but asking them to work more so they can reduce them back down to 4 when they're not needed).

But still, its not nice to lose your job. Hope you guys land back on your feet.

Reading this thread feels like this.

vQ8bn.gif

Hopefully someone can stick the plug in and save it. As a consumer it doesn't look good but I suppose business is much more complex.

Roxas

Don't think shopto would risk pissing off customers by raising prices. Especially when they have just made record profits this past year.

PaulLFC

Right, before Christmas game publishers allowed Game Group to pay for their games a little while after release. Fuck these companies, if you don't want to risk shit happening to your product - do consignment distribution.

I feel for Game, more than the publishers.
Would that not have been as they assumed Game would have the money to pay for the games, and now as it looks like they won't, they're not willing to do that?

So that's EA, Nintendo and now Capcom, this is getting really bad for Game. I had a look in the Liverpool One store today and they had preorder boxes for Luigi's Mansion 2 and Mario Tennis out, whether they'll actually be stocking them after the trouble with Nintendo I don't know.

Feel sorry for the employees, I just hope they end up finding jobs very quickly. The company itself though... can't say I feel sorry for it. Horrible management decisions have put it in this state.

Is Nintendo 100% out (at present) or is it a case by case basis with them? I suppose the company is usually cagey so might be playing it by ear.

Linkified

Would that not have been as they assumed Game would have the money to pay for the games, and now as it looks like they won't, they're not willing to do that?So that's EA, Nintendo and now Capcom, this is getting really bad for Game. I had a look in the Liverpool One store today and they had preorder boxes for Luigi's Mansion 2 and Mario Tennis out, whether they'll actually be stocking them after the trouble with Nintendo I don't know.

Feel sorry for the employees, I just hope they end up finding jobs very quickly. The company itself though... can't say I feel sorry for it. Horrible management decisions have put it in this state.

Well no thats the way suppliers have always worked with Game buy on credit for the future, pay off debt after games are sold. Just suppliers wanting money upfront caused Game Group to topple.

Don't think shopto would risk pissing off customers by raising prices. Especially when they have just made record profits this past year.
they pissed off a hell of a lot of people, mostly international folks with that VAT scam and making the "signed for" delivery a must for international orders so...everything can happen. ;)

Wait what? Why do I think they will increase their prices well one less big company for them to compete with, plus the CEO is well *ahem*...

But anyway they will increase prices...

Sorry did you edit your post, or have I just been playing too much Diablo 3 beta today? I could of sworn it read that Shopto will end up closing after a year too.

Maybe they will - but don't you think that there will just be another online price war - there's loads of places online selling games.

Omikaru

Just put my last £1.30 worth of points towards a £5 PSN voucher. If you can't find any games you want, I'd advise that everyone get PSN, XBL or Nintendo cards this asap, just to get any tied up credit they owe you out of the company.

Even if you don't have those systems, you can probably sell the codes on and get real money for them.

Or if you're feeling generous, you could give me a bunch of PSN codes. I want to buy Lumines for my Vita but I'm broke. D:

Linkified

Don't talk sense and get in the way of Linkfields weird agenda against shopto

Firstly when acompetitor leaves a market, they may keep the prices the same for about 3-6 months. But the very definition of a business is to make the most profit. They will increase prices.

Don't talk sense and get in the way of Linkfields weird agenda against shopto

Link will be laughing when the evil shopto CEO rips us all off and retires to his money pit. Or he might move into the real world with the rest of us.

I moved my SFxT special edition to Shopto as soon as they had it on their website. Saw this shit coming.

PaulLFC

Well no thats the way suppliers have always worked with Game buy on credit for the future, pay off debt after games are sold. Just suppliers wanting money upfront caused Game Group to topple.
That may have changed recently as they aren't convinced Game will actually be able to pay back the debt in the future, so they're reluctant to give Game the stock if they have to rely on future payment.

Firstly when acompetitor leaves a market, they may keep the prices the same for about 3-6 months. But the very definition of a business is to make the most profit. They will increase prices.

So they'll no longer be competing with the hut group, amazon and the supermarket websites? Please.

And you know this for sure? Or are you just speculating/talking out of your arse. You seem to be vehemently defending GAME constantly by insisting that the publishers are the real bastards in all of this.

To be honest, to me it seems that GAME wanted a LOT more leeway when it came to agreements with publishers and they weren't having any of it, for a various number of reasons I can think of.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if GAME had secretly told quite a few employees in each store to buy up some collectors editions/regular editions of Mass Effect 3 and "trade them in" on launch day just to save some face/satisfy some pre-orders.

This reminds me of the Simpsons' parody of It's a Wonderful Life when they can't get their money back.

"You people don't understand... Mass Effect 3 isn't in our shop, it's in.. Bill's shop! And Joe's shop!"

GAME see what the world would have been like if they never existed. They continue their suicide.

Linkified

That may have changed recently as they aren't convinced Game will actually be able to pay back the debt in the future, so they're reluctant to give Game the stock if they have to rely on future payment.

I think it more to do with the fact of the whole crisis in europe, they want to make sure the suppliers don't lose stock at all, especially if they think Game Group moves into administration. Which makes it all the weirder why game industry suppliers don't move into consignment distribution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom