• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Retailer GAME is dead | Brera's Lament

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bumhead

Banned
Just been into my local branch (Sheffield) and one of the managers is writing a "Clearence Sale from £1.98" sign to put in the window.

Their stock levels are generally shit though so not sure what they're selling at that price..

With the amount of cash Brera has invested, he'll probably be majority shareholder by the end of next week.

What if Brera never purchased a few shares in Game. What if Brera purchased all the shares in Game? What if Brera IS Game?

m-night-shyamalan.jpg

mclem

On the one hand, I'm wondering if I ought to go home early to try to catch some bargains (or arrive late at work tomorrow for the same reason)

On the other... I'm not sure I can look the people in-store in the eyes. Poor folks. They've always been good to me.

jono51

Banned
Intredasting...

Could pick up the entire Gears series for ~£20. 2 is £2, 3 is £13, and I'm sure 1 can be gotten for a fiver. Then again, I have plenty to play over easter and I don't wanna deal with the hassle of preowned stuff (codes, scratched discs, missing manuals etc). Tempting, but I think I'll pass.

E: Lol, just realised how many games/gamestations are near me. Maybe I'll go shopping at the weekend (if anything is left, ha!)

Zomba13

Gonna pop into the local game and gamestation tomorrow to see if there are any good deals to be found.

If they last that long...

What if Brera never purchased a few shares in Game. What if Brera purchased all the shares in Game? What if Brera IS Game?

That's the megaton:

From 8 March 2012, the stores will be rebranding to BRERA and BreraStation and adding financial services advice to their main game business.

On the one hand, I'm wondering if I ought to go home early to try to catch some bargains (or arrive late at work tomorrow for the same reason)

On the other... I'm not sure I can look the people in-store in the eyes. Poor folks. They've always been good to me.

I know what you mean. I felt the same when our local Woolies went when they collapsed. I'd gone there for years for my Wii and DS games, because they always had new releases in on time and had a decent selection at a good price - they even had a big push for Wii Fit with pre-orders, street advertising etc. which was unusual for a store like that in a small town. The staff were great, and going in there in the last week or two before they went under was horrible - I felt guilty taking things to the counter, and watching the place fill up with people who never usually visited and were there to pick over the carcass was really depressing.

And here's me on payday without my wallet on me.

Gonna have to wait till tomorrow and see if there's anything left in the Oxford Street store worth having.

Reknoc

Hah, guess I have a reason to go in this Friday after all. May have a sniff around if they still have anything good on the cheap.

If they are closing down full stop, they will be selling everything. Even fixtures and fittings.

Yup. Going back to Woolworths, in the last few days the local store was open they had prices on all of their display stands and were selling just about every piece of furniture in there.

Won't be able to go into a brick and mortar Gamestation 'till Saturday. By then I'm guessing they will be selling off the bricks and mortar...

If they start selling Marvel vs Capcom 3/Skyrim for ridiculously cheap, someone please notify me?

Is this all jokey conjecture or is GAME/GameStation really shifting a load of preowned stuff on the high street. I've seen the online "deals" but I'm wondering if it's worth going into town to see if there's anything worth scavenging.

If you see HMV as an investment in the future then you believe they are going places. On which case why buy at £2 when they are back on top when you can buy for 3p when they're down?

I think you need to learn some lessons from me.

:lol

I wouldn't invest now because there is still a very real chance HMV will go bankrupt, the pendulum is just swinging away from bankruptcy at the moment because HMV have some kind of plan.

That's the reason to invest in RBS at such low prices, they really are too big to fail and the only way is up for them, it's just a long term hold. HMV are not too big to fail and while they are in better shape than Game, they are not investment worthy at the moment, the risk is too great.

Is this all jokey conjecture or is GAME/GameStation really shifting a load of preowned stuff on the high street. I've seen the online "deals" but I'm wondering if it's worth going into town to see if there's anything worth scavenging.

Definitely in stores aswell as my locals have all started the markdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom