• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

syztem

Neo Member
this might be a silly idea, but I watched some guys playing Firebrand the other day and they were getting rocked by Striders assist. Have you considered something like Doom's hidden missiles or Taskmaster's vertical arrows to cover you in the air and help you get in? I don't know how it would work, just thought about it earliar on.

Well, in my roughly 1 week experience I honestly don't have much trouble getting in with Firebrand, he's got great mix ups. I like horizontal arrows better for a nasty M hell's elevator crossup.

Hidden Missiles definitely works too, but I just can't grasp Doom combos at all. I've wanted to play doom since early in Vanilla, he's just outside of my abilities. Maybe some day...

Giard

Here's my current team:
Arthur/Captain America/Sentinel

Should I move Arthur to anchor? Sometimes I can do a lot of damage with him on point, but if I'm against certain characters such as Hawkeye I can't do anything.
I could also keep him on point, and use gold armor very early and switch out so that my other characters get a great assist. Arthur will also be ready for XF3 when he's the only one left.

TGMIII

I just can't grasp Doom combos at all. I've wanted to play doom since early in Vanilla, he's just outside of my abilities. Maybe some day...

You just need to put the time in, it'll suck ass at first but you'll suddenly find yourself being able to do more and more and it'll help your overall execution. Just stick with it, seriously you'll get it quicker than you think. I had the same experience with viper in SF4, after 2 days I had everything down and after that it's just a case of applying it to matches.

syztem

Neo Member
You just need to put the time in, it'll suck ass at first but you'll suddenly find yourself being able to do more and more and it'll help your overall execution. Just stick with it, seriously you'll get it quicker than you think. I had the same experience with viper in SF4, after 2 days I had everything down and after that it's just a case of applying it to matches.

I honestly have, but you are right. I suck with every 8 way air dash character. My brain doesn't handle air dashes mid combo well. I plan on putting serious work in on doom, and possibly nova, to help correct this, but it's a work in progress.

Giard

I keep getting teabagged after ranked matches :(

edit: bwahaha, fought against the same guy twice, I teabagged him in return

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I keep getting teabagged after ranked matches :(

So obnoxious. I probably take it too seriously, but I always show respect to my opponent. I never taunt unless taunted first. Especially in a game where a single match victory means absolutely nothing.

I always hear "More than the serum, you mean nothing to me!", although I think he says "Mortals are weak, you mean nothing to me!".

The fun part is that I never was able to make out what Doom says when he dies, I always heard a line cried in German (which is spoken in Latveria by the way), which would translate to "Now I'm dead".

I think he says, "your mortal pursuits mean nothing to me".

JeTmAn81

So obnoxious. I probably take it too seriously, but I always show respect to my opponent. I never taunt unless taunted first. Especially in a game where a single match victory means absolutely nothing.

Same here. For whatever reason, I can never completely turn off my instinctual hatred for those who taunt and teabag. The only reason I might taunt without being taunted first is when I did something ridiculous with Hulk. That's only because his taunt is pretty silly.

LakeEarth

I honestly have, but you are right. I suck with every 8 way air dash character. My brain doesn't handle air dashes mid combo well. I plan on putting serious work in on doom, and possibly nova, to help correct this, but it's a work in progress.
Just being clear, but you are air dashing by direction+2 ATK buttons right? I remember trying to do his combo by double-tapping the stick and things not working. It's one of those things that is so simple that people forget to mention it in guides.

I agree with, ahem ... awwyeahgurrl ... my Doom used to only win by x-factor -> level 3. But eventually things just start to click.

I never taunt, even if the guy taunted me in the match before. Keeping it classy.

TGMIII

Just don't think about it too hard. I'm sure you're doing this already but break the combos up into parts and just pinpoint the weak spot, once you're comfortable with each section put it together. I used to practice each combo on each side, 1P & 2P, 10 times each. If I dropped one combo then I started from 1 until I was able to do it 10 times in a row on each side.

Why do people teabag at all, in a fighting game at that? I don't get the enjoyment factor there.

When I win, I just stand where I was at after the last hit.

syztem

Neo Member
Just being clear, but you are air dashing by direction+2 ATK buttons right? I remember trying to do his combo by double-tapping the stick and things not working. It's one of those things that is so simple that people forget to mention it in guides.

I agree with, ahem ... awwyeahgurrl ... my Doom used to only win by x-factor -> level 3. But eventually things just start to click.

Yeah I am... well sort of anyway, top right button on my stick has always been bound to two buttons, been using that to dash

I'm going to suck it up and run Firebrand\Wesker\Doom and just learn him. I feel like if I can get him down this is going to be a very nasty team.

I actually remove people who teabag from my friends list. It's just poor sportsmanship.

Yeah I am... well sort of anyway, top right button on my stick has always been bound to two buttons, been using that to dash

I'm going to suck it up and run Firebrand\Wesker\Doom and just learn him. I feel like if I can get him down this is going to be a very nasty team.
If Doom is the one you want to learn, I recommend putting him on point for a while. The curse of running the new character on anchor means having few chances to learn the character if you play well.

syztem

Neo Member
Just don't think about it too hard. I'm sure you're doing this already but break the combos up into parts and just pinpoint the weak spot, once you're comfortable with each section put it together. I used to practice each combo on each side, 1P & 2P, 10 times each. If I dropped one combo then I started from 1 until I was able to do it 10 times in a row on each side.

I could probably use a little more discipline in the training room, but I do try to do something similar to this.

Good advice either way, thank you

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Why do people teabag at all, in fighting at that? I don't get the enjoyment factor there.

When I when, I just stand where I was at after the last hit.

I imagine it's just a "hurr hurr ur a scrub!" type of thing. It's pretty silly. Or maybe they were enraged by my playstyle and wanted to rub in the fact that they won?

I have weird habits I do during the K.O. slowdown. If Wesker's in mid air combo, I'll always cancel the K.O. hit into a teleport to ground. If it was Morrigan in mid air combo, I'll sometimes cancel the K.O. hit into flight. Then I'll just stand there until the win screen.

syztem

Neo Member
The fact that it bothers people is exactly why people do it. I just ignore it personally.

Deadpools "TAUNT BUTTON" on the other hand makes me want to physically abuse the other player. I have no idea why it makes me rage so much.

syztem

Neo Member
If Doom is the one you want to learn, I recommend putting him on point for a while. The curse of running the new character on anchor means having few chances to learn the character if you play well.

Another good idea, I'll probably do that once I become more familiar with Firebrand. Only picked the game up on Sunday so I still have a lot to learn with him.

Chavelo

>play online match on UMVC3
>win (most of the time, the first) match
>"HUR HUR DERP I'M BETTER THAN YOU"
>teabags

I don't get this mentality...

You're playing online... any credibility you might want to get out of an online match is non-existent.

You want to get better? Stop relying on your old gimmicks or trusted team setup and try new strategies and characters against other people. >.<

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
You're playing online... any credibility you might want to get out of an online match is non-existent.

A lot of really good players do the majority of their practice online. I think the credibility is shot once someone believes they're better than you after a single match, rather than them winning in an online match.

syztem

Neo Member
Just for clarity, is there any reason I SHOULDN'T be using my "dash button" instead of hitting two buttons at once?

As a strictly online player, that is.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
The fact that it bothers people is exactly why people do it. I just ignore it personally.

Deadpools "TAUNT BUTTON" on the other hand makes me want to physically abuse the other player. I have no idea why it makes me rage so much.

Deadpool's winquote where he starts shaking the camera annoys me so much harder for some reason.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Just for clarity, is there any reason I SHOULDN'T be using my "dash button" instead of hitting two buttons at once?

As a strictly online player, that is.

You mean, a button you have set as two or three attacks? I don't believe so. It's the same functionality, and the primary means of pad players to dash. The only thing I can think of is if you wanted to buffer an attack out of the dash that corresponds to a specific button, you can plink it, I think.

Online is full of ignorance and stupidity sometimes (I guess a fair representation of society as a whole).

Somebody called me a "fag" the other day for not rushing in and hitting buttons against a him and his hawkeye with X-factor level 3 on and 4 stocks of super meter.

I didn't get mad, it just makes me shake my head for him and his thought process.

The people that rage out on you for using assists "too much" are sad too.

Teabagging just an extension of rudeness and lack of sportsmanship that irks me.

syztem

Neo Member
You mean, a button you have set as two or three attacks? I don't believe so. It's the same functionality, and the primary means of pad players to dash. The only thing I can think of is if you wanted to buffer an attack out of the dash that corresponds to a specific button, you can plink it, I think.

Yeah that's exactly what I meant, thanks.

ReiGun

My favorite poor sportsman behavior is when players accuse you of having "no skill" when you beat them a certain way (normally runaway tactics). It's hilarious to me because it makes no sense. If I have no skill, how did I beat you? :p

The teabagging stuff is just stupid to me, but it's whatever. Same with taunting, except when Akuma does it cause fuck him.

BY2K

Membero Americo
WhzxY.jpg
Q2Vzo.jpg
yNbsU.jpg

I think I've finally found a team I feel comfortable with. Just needs to learn more combos and actually being able to pull them off.

I learned NOT to put Frank on point if I want to level him up faster.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I really don't get why people send negative rep to people, because they lost a game. Isn't the point to learn and get better after taking an L? To much hand holding as of recent times.

Yea, the rep system is broken. I have low rep as well. I don't know how, I don't message anybody and don't use a mic when I play.

People low rep when they lose, which is not the point of the system.

Ken

Why do people teabag at all, in a fighting game at that? I don't get the enjoyment factor there.

When I win, I just stand where I was at after the last hit.
Same, or if I score the final hit with a launcher I'll jump away and stand still when I land.

I usually send a "gg" to most players I play in player match but not if they teabag.

I did get a message to "stay free" on day 1. Not too difficult to be free when it was only my first hour or so of the MvC series.

Dahbomb

WTF @ that Nova combo/reset.

That's probably like that Chun Li glitch earlier where the character was getting hitting in a combo but it was a reset within a combo so the damage was insane.

LMAO @ reverse Magneto combos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom